Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2018 11:46:11 AM EDT
My 91-year old mother has an old PC in her living room that she uses for checking her email.
She also listens to talk radio over the internet with it because her AM radio has poor reception in her apartment.

Can anyone recommend a wireless speaker set-up that would not be difficult for her to manage so she could take the speaker into her bedroom; i.e. not line of sight?
(She does not have bluetooth with her PC.)
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My 91-year old mother has an old PC in her living room that she uses for checking her email.
She also listens to talk radio over the internet with it because her AM radio has poor reception in her apartment.

Can anyone recommend a wireless speaker set-up that would not be difficult for her to manage so she could take the speaker into her bedroom; i.e. not line of sight?
(She does not have bluetooth with her PC.)
View Quote
Just add bluetooth. There are lots of these for less than $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Receiver-Transfer-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B0775YF36R/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544975814&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+dongle
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I was under the impression that those dongles were only good for short range keyboard and mouse-like applications and that anything past 10 feet is out of range.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
First line from the description:

"Transmission rate: Bluetooth adapter supports maximum transfer rate up to 3Mbps and transmission distance up to 33ft/10M in open space. "

I'm sure you can find one with a better antenna, if that's not good enough.

Does her house have wifi?  Do you have an old smartphone?  That's what I use in my hangar.  Plug it in to a pair of PC speakers, fire up Pandora or whatever.  Done.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
She does have a wireless router.
Am I looking in the wrong direction?
Is there a device that will stream audio via her router and not have to be paired with the PC that is running the audio webcast?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am I looking in the wrong direction?
Is there a device that will stream audio via her router and not have to be paired with the PC that is running the audio webcast?
View Quote
Yes.   An old smart phone.

Eta:Everything still works on a phone without a sim card.   You just can't make cell calls.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Am I looking in the wrong direction? <--- YES
View Quote
Dude.

Granny + WinXP + Internet = "sorry, granny lost all her money to scammers so no inheritance for you"

If you care about her at all, get that fucking machine off the internet.

Get an iPod/iPad or old phone to do what you need to do.  Added bonus, she can call 911 from any old phone so it's like a poor man's Life Alert device.  She could even just carry the phone around or use earphones and not be restricted to just one room. And she can take it with her with stored podcasts while out of the house.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
don't put an XP machine on the web
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
For the record, she does not shop or bank on the web and she probably checks her email once every two weeks, if that.

My brother manages her bills and finances at his house.

Her poor eyesight and arthritic hands prevent her from using anything like a smartphone.

She rarely even answers her telephone if she does not recognize the number.

I'm just trying to make it easier for her to listen to her radio station - not looking for security advice but thanks for the concern.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For the record, she does not shop or bank on the web and she probably checks her email once every two weeks, if that.

My brother manages her bills and finances at his house.

Her poor eyesight and arthritic hands prevent her from using anything like a smartphone.

She rarely even answers her telephone if she does not recognize the number.

I'm just trying to make it easier for her to listen to her radio station - not looking for security advice but thanks for the concern.
View Quote
A cheap Chromebook will do what she wants, without the issue of having XP on the internet.  Set the radio station website as her homepage.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#11]
don't even bother with a computer then.
get a google mini or one of those alexa pucks.
25 bucks and she can tell it what station to play or what pod cast to listen to by voice.
no typing.

sure the .gov is listening but what does granny know about the clintons anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top