Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 1/30/2023 10:35:23 AM EDT
Big truck slipping and sliding here we come.

It's a hot chocolate day
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, when an out of state OTR driver causes a big crash, some folks will blame it on Texas drivers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Winter Storm Warning Issued for North Texas Through Wednesday
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, when an out of state OTR driver causes a big crash, some folks will blame it on Texas drivers.
View Quote

Probably got off by a Texas driver. LOL.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Good news is y'all will be back up in the 60's by the weekend...
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
So, when you say winter weather it’s what? Raining and 50*?
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Heavy sleet in OKC right now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Making hot coco now, working from home has it’s benefits like being within arms reach of your AR, shotgun, and pistol.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#8]
You mean the ones that are used to driving in snow. Those OTR drivers. Or the ones that don't go north of I20?
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Surveyor here. I'll be staying home today, too damn cold. Also - Not going to get wrecked into on the highways by some altima with expired tags and bald tires.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Already had my mug of hot chocolate.

Electing to WFH both today and tomorrow.

Payroll is tomorrow. Submitted my time sheet early. I can wait to get paid after this passes. Not worth risking thousands for a couple hundred.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Surveyor here. I'll be staying home today, too damn cold. Also - Not going to get wrecked into on the highways by some altima with expired tags and bald tires.
View Quote

You know Dallas quite well
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#12]
It is -8 here in MN.  Thankfully there really is no wind.  Main roads are pretty decent, but always the possibility of black ice.  Just have to remain cognizant of what the road conditions are and how to handle them.  Not rocket surgery.  Yes I used to drive OTR when I was in the MN National Guard.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Be safe and avoid driving if you can down there fellas. Lots of over-confident drivers will be making mistakes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#14]
looks like its not going to really hit till a bit later tonight... Im hoping everyone can get home after work before it really hits...
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I was on the road by 6am this morning, got 30 miles from home and turned around and called it a day

passed too many accidents to count, several flipped cars, lots of spun out cars and idiots driving too fast
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been checking the wind maps.
Straight down on that area right from Canada.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Its going to be unpleasant
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Highway 380 through Collin County is going to look like something out of Fallout by mid-week.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

• Colder weather than most of our buildings/homes are built for (we're built for hot weather).

• 1-3" of ice on the road, with enough road salt in the state, that a county or two in NJ would go through in a week.

• Californians and New Yorkers/Jersians thinking they can drive just as well here as back on their snow-covered icy roads.

• Idiot drivers aren't limited to just the I95.

• We have more overpasses than most states.

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I think I'll call in sick
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

• Colder weather than most of our buildings/homes are built for (we're built for hot weather).

• 1-3" of ice on the road, with enough road salt in the state, that a county or two in NJ would go through in a week.

• Californians and New Yorkers/Jersians thinking they can drive just as well here as back on their snow-covered icy roads.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

For everyone shit-talking Texas, imagine one of these every 2-5 miles with basically zero ice-melt/salt, maybe a thin layer of shitty play sand.  I was personally stuck here for about an hour and half around 16 years ago with the empty light on.  

ETA I did finally make it to a gas station without running out.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35747/high5_JPG-2691184.JPG

For everyone shit-talking Texas, imagine one of these every 2-5 miles with basically zero ice-melt/salt, maybe a thin layer of shitty play sand.  I was personally stuck here for about an hour and half around 16 years ago with the empty light on.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've slid down (the wrong way) one of those once *pucker factor 11*
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Some of the radar apps show different results.

Texasstormchasers app is more detailed - Oh, there it is.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Twenty degrees and light drizzle along the Red River.

Schools opening two hours late.

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I was in Dallas one time during an ice storm. I have never seen driving like that in my life. Be safe.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

In addition to cities not being really prepared for it (though the DFW area usually gets some snow every winter), the inhabitants aren't prepared for it.  No Hakipellitas or however you spell it, no snow tires, certainly no studded snow tires or chains usually.  You're lucky if most people have within-wear guidelines M+S tires.   Moreover, there's plenty of idiots who think they can drive in snow/ice, the same way they drive in the much more often torrential downpours.  

All adds up to staying at home.  In Houston, we often don't even have sand, the once every couple years we get snow/ice.  The giant Belt and Grand Parkway onramps look like skating rinks.  No good.

EDIT:  Pretty sure I got caught in the one Findsman is talking about.  Nothing like creeping at literally 5-10 MPH on the causeway into South Dallas on 45...and still hearing your tires occasionally slip.  Some poor bastard was towing a pontoon boat behind a non-snow/ice optimized 2500.  I still remember the sounds his tires made as they parted company with traction, and he proceeded on an all-wheel straight slide towards the right end lanes...
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#28]
-20 wind chill out right now with lots of sun and 15 mph winds.

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I feel for them...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah.  I checked radar (clear) and traffic (all green) at 6:20 this morning before I left the house.  Soon as I pulled out of the garage and saw it was "misting" (26 degrees), I thought to myself, well, let's see how the roads are.  Made it to the highway, went over the first bridge, and it was slick as snot (the mist was freezing on the windshield wipers too).  So, turned around, came home.  At ~6:40 rechecked radar (still claimed clear) and traffic - now the north western half of DFW was in the red with accidents everywhere.

So, will just be WFH for a couple days.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Sitting in the Terminal C Admirals Club at DFW. Flight to Nashville scheduled to leave at 12:45. We will see.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Just got the email that we will be closing at noon and tomorrow, maybe Wednesday.

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#33]
We’re all dead already.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

That doesn't explain the other 87 locals involved in the wreck
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#35]
My 2023 Raptor is delayed a couple days due to this #firstworldproblems
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was on the road by 6am this morning, got 30 miles from home and turned around and called it a day

passed too many accidents to count, several flipped cars, lots of spun out cars and idiots driving too fast
View Quote

Heard from Canton on I-20, 8 wrecks into Terrell this morning
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My 2023 Raptor is delayed a couple days due to this #firstworldproblems
View Quote

Just don't mustang gt it on the ice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Left Fort Worth yesterday morning headed south. Just the rain had a bunch of idiots crashed out on 287 and I45. Rained damn hard for a lot of the way down. RainX is a must! Ice or snow is a real treat to see.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#39]
It rained throughout the night in Los Angeles, but now the rain has stopped and the sky is partially cloudy. For those of you in the US in inclement weather, if whatever you are doing can wait until later, do so; it is better to "live and fight another day," take care everyone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nebraskan who moved to Texas.  So I can speak with some authority.  

1. All those truckers are from Mexico now, so even less experience with weather than Texans. I believe I've had one trucking lawsuit in the last five years with an American born driver.
2. No one can drive on ice. "Ice" up north generally means patches of ice mixed with snow. "Ice" down here generally means a sheet of pure ice. You can't drive on that absent really specialized equipment.
3. Yankees actually suck at driving on snow and ice as well.  It's a perishable skill, and everyone up north forgets. Then the first big storm happens and all the idiots crash into each other and have to take the bus. Everyone else then figures out how to drive on snow again. In Texas, we get maybe one of these a year and so no one ever learns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I commute from Canton area to Dallas. Wasn’t too bad this am but I’ll take the Excursion tomorrow.Attachment Attached File
.      Ok, I have a little experience with ice, lived in Alaska, Idaho and Maine but a native Texan.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I have it under very good authority that water freezes at different temperatures around the country and Texas needs to just stop being a bunch of babies.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Not bad here in North Austin... I've gotten a couple weather notifications about "winter weather". There was a little rain earlier. Wednesday is supposedly going to be the most rain.

I'm paying attention, because I have a flight up to Dallas on Friday that connects me to a flight to Brazil. The forecast is showing that it will be warmer on Friday, so I'm not too worried.

Supposed to go into the "office" tomorrow, but if it rains and freezes, I don't think I'd risk it, even though I have a vehicle that should be pretty damn good at that. Like that snow storm that hit 2 years ago, I've got a great vehicle for handling that, but I didn't have to leave the house, so why risk it? (yes, it's better than 4x4)
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Our roads got slick as goose grease because we had rain yesterday and today.

School was cancled.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In addition to cities not being really prepared for it (though the DFW area usually gets some snow every winter), the inhabitants aren't prepared for it.  No Hakipellitas or however you spell it, no snow tires, certainly no studded snow tires or chains usually.  You're lucky if most people have within-wear guidelines M+S tires.   Moreover, there's plenty of idiots who think they can drive in snow/ice, the same way they drive in the much more often torrential downpours.  

All adds up to staying at home.  In Houston, we often don't even have sand, the once every couple years we get snow/ice.  The giant Belt and Grand Parkway onramps look like skating rinks.  No good.

EDIT:  Pretty sure I got caught in the one Findsman is talking about.  Nothing like creeping at literally 5-10 MPH on the causeway into South Dallas on 45...and still hearing your tires occasionally slip.  Some poor bastard was towing a pontoon boat behind a non-snow/ice optimized 2500.  I still remember the sounds his tires made as they parted company with traction, and he proceeded on an all-wheel straight slide towards the right end lanes...
View Quote

A few things for our Southern friends to know. I've never seen studded tires once in Minnesota.  Zero. Rarely does someone have snow tires, I'd say 98% of the cars on the roads here have all season tires.  There is no such thing as Southern ice. We get ice storms here too. Probably more than you do. Black ice is not what you call black ice. Black ice is formed at intersection from idling car exhaust.  This can happen on clear cool days like today when it is -10 before wind chill. Black ice does not fall from the sky, that is just ice.

I fully understand why a winter storm causes major chaos down there. There is not the infrastructure for mass fast plowing and salting.  When it snows here we have way more plows to deal with it. But, it seems like there is basically no money spent down there at all. It is not like a snow storm is a once in a lifetime event down in the Dallas area.  It looks like snow and below freezing is an annual event. Plowing and salting a couple of the main interstates shouldn't be THAT difficult.  I can certainly see side roads and highways being a mess for days.

There is still no excuse for the absolute shit drivers from Texas though. I see them driving terrible in the summer with their flashers on during a sprinkle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I commute from Canton area to Dallas. Wasn’t too bad this am but I’ll take the Excursion tomorrow.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/533493/7ED84FA7-FF01-43CC-AFFE-C7E8FEAB7455_jpe-2691262.JPG.      Ok, I have a little experience with ice, lived in Alaska, Idaho and Maine but a native Texan.
View Quote

That’s a long ass commute. We took the boys down to Dallas this weekend for the oldest boys birthday. Glad we came home last night.

Was scheduled to go into work at 7am and made it two miles and said this ain’t worth it. They ended up closing at 10am or so.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I was in Dallas one time during an ice storm. I have never seen driving like that in my life. Be safe.
View Quote

Snow is no big deal.

Ice however… just stay home.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Been getting sleet up on the red river this morning.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I fully expect to spend tomorrow playing Roblox and building legos with the kids.

Snow days are a miraculous event in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A few things for our Southern friends to know. I've never seen studded tires once in Minnesota.  Zero. Rarely does someone have snow tires, I'd say 98% of the cars on the roads here have all season tires.  There is no such thing as Southern ice. We get ice storms here too. Probably more than you do. Black ice is not what you call black ice. Black ice is formed at intersection from idling car exhaust.  This can happen on clear cool days like today when it is -10 before wind chill. Black ice does not fall from the sky, that is just ice.

I fully understand why a winter storm causes major chaos down there. There is not the infrastructure for mass fast plowing and salting.  When it snows here we have way more plows to deal with it. But, it seems like there is basically no money spent down there at all. It is not like a snow storm is a once in a lifetime event down in the Dallas area.  It looks like snow and below freezing is an annual event. Plowing and salting a couple of the main interstates shouldn't be THAT difficult.  I can certainly see side roads and highways being a mess for days.

There is still no excuse for the absolute shit drivers from Texas though. I see them driving terrible in the summer with their flashers on during a sprinkle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People suck here, too, when we get ice or snow. I've also never seen studded tires here. We get maybe 3-5 decent snow events a winter. I would think that only happens in places that have snow cover for most of the winter or where roads don't really get plowed.

I live off a hwy and amazed at how people don't think twice about driving on snow covered roads at full speed. There are a lot of accidents and people going off the road. Drive around after a decent snow and you can see tire marks going off into the ditch

What I think makes a big difference is that TX has a fuck ton of overpasses in big cities and interstates with overpasses. Thats not really a thing here. The interstates stay at ground level as much as possible. Those elevated areas cause a lot of the issues down there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top