Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2018 9:05:35 PM EDT
I see from goggle is possible, but does anyone have any experience with it?  My vines have been growing like crazy the last few years.  Last year we got around 65 pounds from them, and we still have more jelly than we know what you do with.   I'm thinking of trying my hand at wine, butt I realize they aren't the best grapes for it.   Can anyone offer any tips?   Thanks
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe sell us arfcomers the jelly and buy wine?
Just saying, some of us like jelly.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
This is about half of what we made this year.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is about half of what we made this year.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/208337/IMG_20170821_140600_635-459002.JPG
View Quote
Holy crap, can you say UPS?
DID you really think you could use all that?
How the hell can I get on your Xmas list?
My mom used to make a lot of it, she had 4 boys to raise.
My wife made it a few times after we got married and before I pulled all the grape vines out.
Dad used to make wine out of our concords, wasn't very good but I was just a kid really.
I didn't like booze, I remember all us kids squishing grapes with our feet like Lucy Ricardo.
Good luck with whatever you do, cool problem to have.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Holy crap, can you say UPS?
DID you really think you could use all that?
How the hell can I get on your Xmas list?
My mom used to make a lot of it, she had 4 boys to raise.
My wife made it a few times after we got married and before I pulled all the grape vines out.
Dad used to make wine out of our concords, wasn't very good but I was just a kid really.
I didn't like booze, I remember all us kids squishing grapes with our feet like Lucy Ricardo.
Good luck with whatever you do, cool problem to have.
View Quote
We still have a lot of frozen jars.  I could mail you one if you really want.   I live in southern N.Y., and wouldn't be afraid of it spoiling by the time it got to you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Local Winery has a Concord wine that I like very well.  Its not a wine snobs wine but it tastes good and ill get ya drunk like any other LOL
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude... just buy manischevitz on sale after Passover.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Do some reading, adjust must as needed for pH, specific gravity and go for it.  The worst thing that can happen is you waste some grape juice and sugar.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#9]
You have all those grapes, might as well give it a shot!

Do you have any equipment?
Something like a basic kit would cover the back-end, but the grape-pressing equipment is a bit more complicated. Do you know anyone else who makes wine? You could borrow or look on craigslist?

I like the site www.morewine.com for supplies but there might be a local shop you could check with.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing wrong with Concorde wine.  Usually it is cheap and sweet and not as sophisticated wine made with real wine grapes.  Concorde grapes are better suited for eating.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You have all those grapes, might as well give it a shot!

Do you have any equipment?
Something like a basic kit would cover the back-end, but the grape-pressing equipment is a bit more complicated. Do you know anyone else who makes wine? You could borrow or look on craigslist?

I like the site www.morewine.com for supplies but there might be a local shop you could check with.
View Quote
No equipment yet, this would be my first venture into winemaking.   I may splurge on something to press the grapes as it would make the jelly making process much easier as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Another thing you might think about, if you are worried about the taste of the concorde grape, you could actually "blend" your juice with other juice to make something like Concorde Merlot or Concorde Cabernet or whatever you want.

You may be able to find cans of Alexander Sun Country for $25-30 and they make about ... 2 gallons for each can. Just to give you an idea.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Well here goes nothing.   Grapes are mashed and fermenting right now.  I guess all the rain paid off in the form of conchords.  Got 120 lbs this year and there is probably still another 30 or 40 on the vines.   Even if the wine is horrible it's been fun.

This is about a third of the jelly we made this year. I'l update with the wine progress as well.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Of course a heat wave hit this week.  I had my fermenter sitting in my garage, but the temp of the new got a little over 90 degrees.   I had to move it to my downstairs bathroom which stays nice and cool.  Will the temp spike hurt it in the long run?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Of course a heat wave hit this week.  I had my fermenter sitting in my garage, but the temp of the new got a little over 90 degrees.   I had to move it to my downstairs bathroom which stays nice and cool.  Will the temp spike hurt it in the long run?https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/208337/20180829_210937-656447.JPG
View Quote
Hot ferments are not desired but it might be just fine

The biggest worry is that it got so hot it stops fermenting. If it’s still bubbling you should be in the clear. Do you have a way to measure the sugar content, like a hydrometer?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah ive been watching it.   Starting was 1.092.  I forget what it was after primary fermentation but the calculation I did said about 13% alcohol.   It never stopped bubbling.   I tested it at the first racking and although pretty tart, it was good for something that i thought would be borderline undrinkable.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's a good thing too. If you decide it's decent but not amazing, buy a wine kit, make another 5-6 gallons of cabernet or merlot, and then blend the 2 together. You can even do "small batch" trials to see how you like the blend before you fully commit to it.

You know, like try blending 1/2 cup of each together and tasting that.  A lot of wine that "isn't quite good enough" is blended to reach a desired flavor profile.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah ive been watching it.   Starting was 1.092.  I forget what it was after primary fermentation but the calculation I did said about 13% alcohol.   It never stopped bubbling.   I tested it at the first racking and although pretty tart, it was good for something that i thought would be borderline undrinkable.
View Quote
If it's about 13% alcohol and your OG was 1.092 than your FG is probably 0.993 or 0.994.  That's pretty dang dry. Some people add what's call "wine conditioner" which is non-fermentable sugar and sorbate. You can use it to sweeten your wine as little or as much as you want. But obviously if you go overboard you'd ruin it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I have made some amazing pyments with Concord grapes.  Basically 20 lbs of grapes and 12 lbs or more of honey.  Amazing.  I would bring the honey/water must up to just below boiling, and pour it in on the stomped grapes, top up to 5 gallons with cold spring water, and pitch my yeast.  Used Fermat yeast nutrient too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If it's about 13% alcohol and your OG was 1.092 than your FG is probably 0.993 or 0.994.  That's pretty dang dry. Some people add what's call "wine conditioner" which is non-fermentable sugar and sorbate. You can use it to sweeten your wine as little or as much as you want. But obviously if you go overboard you'd ruin it.
View Quote
It was dry as heck, but with all the fruity flavors from using the conchords I kinda liked it.  More sweetness would make it taste like a wine cooler.  I want to see how it tastes before bottling but ilike the results so far.  I'm due to rack it again this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have made some amazing pyments with Concord grapes.  Basically 20 lbs of grapes and 12 lbs or more of honey.  Amazing.  I would bring the honey/water must up to just below boiling, and pour it in on the stomped grapes, top up to 5 gallons with cold spring water, and pitch my yeast.  Used Fermat yeast nutrient too.
View Quote
Was it enough flavor with only using 4lbs per gallon? I did 9lbs per and i think next year i'l do 12.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Racked it last weekand tested the sugar, came out to .998.  It's been sitting at about 65 degrees and even being that warm a bunch of crystals had formed in the jug.   I'm assuming that's since my acid was about 1.3 at the start.   I'm really enjoying this whole process. It's tons of fun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Was it enough flavor with only using 4lbs per gallon? I did 9lbs per and i think next year i'l do 12.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was going for a balance between the honey and the grapes- it came out perfect.  I am not a wine snob, but some of my friends are, and they loved it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Wine grapes are good for making wine

Table grapes are good for making...tables.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wine grapes are good for making wine

Table grapes are good for making...tables.
View Quote
Fruit and honey is good for making mead!
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Bottled it up today. Letting it cold condition in my garage since the beginning of the year has really helped with the acid.  I sweetened it a touch but not much.  Final gravity was .993 for about 12.75% alcohol.

Attachment Attached File

Edit: you can see one of the aforementioned three daughters photo bombing.  Hence the reason for the wine
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Well done!
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice

I really like the flavor of Niagra wine once in a while. I believe it's a type of Concord.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been making wine for around 15 years.  I know this is an old thread but posting in case you come back and say it doesn't taste good.  LET IT SIT.  Patience.  I keep my wine in the carboy for around a year.  then i let it sit in the bottle for another year.

You said you tasted it and it was undrinkable.  That is normal.  Let it sit.  It will taste a whole lot better.  Patience!!!!  That is the hardest part of making wine.

I have done concord from the frozen Welches grape juice mix a couple times.  It was a cheap get drunk wine.  Also good for mixing with Sangria because it is cheap.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I just made a "wine" with honey and Moon Drop grapes. 21 lbs of grapes made about 3.5 gallons of Pyment. Color is a nice purple color, but doesn't have the depth of color that a storebought wine has. It's been about 2 months since I started the batch, and it's almost ready to drink.

I used BM4x4 and Fermaid K  / Fermaid O staggered nutrient protocol.

Backsweetened with Orange Blossom honey to 1.031 gravity and about 12.5% ABV.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have been making wine for around 15 years.  I know this is an old thread but posting in case you come back and say it doesn't taste good.  LET IT SIT.  Patience.  I keep my wine in the carboy for around a year.  then i let it sit in the bottle for another year.

You said you tasted it and it was undrinkable.  That is normal.  Let it sit.  It will taste a whole lot better.  Patience!!!!  That is the hardest part of making wine.

I have done concord from the frozen Welches grape juice mix a couple times.  It was a cheap get drunk wine.  Also good for mixing with Sangria because it is cheap.
View Quote
I'm still here, I'm hanging on and cracking a bottle open in the next month or so.  I tried one back in May, and it wasn't the worst thing ever, but definitely tasted very "green" if you will.  I'm hoping it's improved some.  I'll post an update after I try it.

Edit: I don't know if it's normal but I liked at a bottle of it the other day and noticed some sediment in the bottom.  I hadn't used any pectic enzyme so is that likely just some of the fruit still settling out?
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm still here, I'm hanging on and cracking a bottle open in the next month or so.  I tried one back in May, and it wasn't the worst thing ever, but definitely tasted very "green" if you will.  I'm hoping it's improved some.  I'll post an update after I try it.

Edit: I don't know if it's normal but I liked at a bottle of it the other day and noticed some sediment in the bottom.  I hadn't used any pectic enzyme so is that likely just some of the fruit still settling out?
View Quote
the sediment is dead yeast.  Not harmful at all.  Filtering it will get rid of it.  I don't bother.  The longer it sits in the carboy, the more of the yeast that drops out to the bottom.  That is one reason I let it sit in carboy for a year.

You should see a big difference from may.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#33]
I guess I should clarify, I started fermenting in Sept of 18, racking it a few times and bottling in Feb of 19.  I added the potassium sorbate and back sweetened it slightly.  I guess I'm concerned now if fermentation continued after bottling and that my wine is now dry as a bone.

Only one way to know for sure I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I guess I should clarify, I started fermenting in Sept of 18, racking it a few times and bottling in Feb of 19.  I added the potassium sorbate and back sweetened it slightly.  I guess I'm concerned now if fermentation continued after bottling and that my wine is now dry as a bone.

View Quote
if you added sugar and then bottled while it was still fermenting, at least one of the corks would have popped out by now.  That is one of the reasons champagne has the metal things covering the cork.  To keep them in.

How much time was there between adding potassium sorbate and sugar?

I don't use potassium sorbate or any other type of preservative on mine.  That is another reason I leave it for a year in carboy.

If you did make sparkling wine, just decant it and let sit.  It should get rid of all the trapped CO2
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

if you added sugar and then bottled while it was still fermenting, at least one of the corks would have popped out by now.  That is one of the reasons champagne has the metal things covering the cork.  To keep them in.

How much time was there between adding potassium sorbate and sugar?

I don't use potassium sorbate or any other type of preservative on mine.  That is another reason I leave it for a year in carboy.

If you did make sparkling wine, just decant it and let sit.  It should get rid of all the trapped CO2
View Quote
I only let it sit a day after the potassium before sweetening and bottling.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I only let it sit a day after the potassium before sweetening and bottling.
View Quote
Wine making requires patience.  There is no rush.

It all depends on if the fermentation was finished.  If there were still some live yeast and you added the potassium sorbate and then sugar, it will keep fermenting.  potassium sorbate doesn't kill yeast.  It prevents it from reproducing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I opened a bottle yesterday.  Warm it's bad enough that I considered dumping it. Chilled in the refrigerator it's very tart, but drinkable.  Might have to see how it is in another year
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#38]
after it fermented for a week or two, did you rack it into a glass carboy or continue to use plastic buckets?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I guess I didn't take pictures of that but I used a pair of 3 gallon glass carboys after the primary fermentation.

I should add that it must have just been some sediment still settling out that was floatng in the wine because it had no sparkle whatsoever thankfully.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are different types of sediment you can have in a bottle: Solids, which have settled out over time. These are fine particles from the grapes. The sediment will be fine and dark-colored, and will have a ring around the bottom.
You would potentially have yeast as well. Yeast is a light, cream color. I generally find if I have significant sediment in my bottles, it's because I didn't wait long enough. Sometimes when I bottle "early", it's because I need the fermenter freed up to get more batches moving through the process.

Would be interesting to know what your FG (final gravity) and pH readings are right now. pH on red wine is typically in the 4.0 to 3.5 range. If it's too high, it can taste funny. If you have a rubbing alcohol taste, that is generally caused by fusel alcohols, often produced when fermentation temperature gets too high and/or when the yeast becomes nitrogen starved (doesn't usually happen in wine).
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you "fermented" for 5 months, racked a few times, and then sweetened- there should be very little yeast left at that point. I've added sugar and sorbate / sulfite at the same time and not experienced refermentation MOST of the time.

Also, the only way to know if your wine is dry is by using a scientific instrument over your taste buds. Take a hydrometer reading. How much sugar did you add?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#42]
The sediment is dark, and the wine still has that hint of sweetness I added at the end.  I'm thinking it's likely that I didn't add enough pectic enzyme, or didn't let the wine settle out and completely clarify after fermenting.

Again drinking it chilled it was in the "definitely not to bad" range.  Sorry I'm a total noob so there's going to be a noticeable lack of scientific terminology and accuracy from me.

And to that point I didn't record how much sugar I added at the end.  If I am recalling correctly I made a syrup from 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water, and added about half of it.  Next time I open a bottle I'll test the gravity.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Sounds good. If it hasn't cleared yet, it probably is due to pectin.
Top Top