Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I retired after 20 years with a medium size city police department but I am still in the national guard with 25 years and still counting. Working for a police department is the true definition of doing the impossible for the ungrateful.

Bad pay, hostile work environment, horrible hours. Law Enforcement and military are in your blood or it's not. I would have done it all for free.

It is about being a man among men.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After this passes, there will be some new disaster where Leo and first responders are seen as heros again. The cycle always repeats.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#3]
It's too late in my life to become one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
24+ as a LEO in a major city

For evil to triumph.... good men only need to stand by and do nothing

I'm beat down, tired, feeling unappreciated and stereotyped with little support from the top.... but I'm not broken and I still believe in right and wrong

I've lost several friends to gun fire and I was there for a few of them... in their memory and for the guys and gals that do the right thing daily...
View Quote

Me too, but I'm so fucking tired.  Lost a friend last night.  Maybe we're just dumb.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

% of cops that died on the job or ended up in jail for crimes committed while on duty compared to those who retire with a pension?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pension and health benefits

Won't help if you're dead or in jail.

% of cops that died on the job or ended up in jail for crimes committed while on duty compared to those who retire with a pension?

If you're one of those percentages, dead is dead and prison can be become a literal death sentence.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I never would have wanted to and now even less. But young people will do it.
Some like the power. People coming out of the military seem to like it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Antifa types will.  It will be very bad when that happens.
View Quote

You're saying that there are not any now?
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Couldn't pay me enough, I'm too white to survive.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I doubt the counties where I lived back in NY will have any trouble finding people.

Bellone aides said the top step in base salary for all officers will be $155,693 a year, up from over $139,000 now.
View Quote

Quoted:
You guys act like cops get millions of dollars during retirement and a health/dental plan that allows a colon cleanse of pure diamonds with gold teeth as a possibility.
View Quote

Some do.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I will say that over the last few days I’ve gotten more one finger salutes than normal, but also more passing offers of appreciation and support (and not just rich old white people). I was on a perimeter yesterday in a poor area and had a young black woman stop and thank me,
View Quote

I've had the opposit, been stopped and thanked more than before this crap started. I've only dealt with one person (domstic call) who pulled out his phone and started to film stating "i have to do this, you all keep killing blacks".
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#12]
https://clarionproject.org/guns-police-fear-how-antifa-is-changing-the-face-of-america/
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pension and health benefits
View Quote

And a great union that helps get your job back with you get fired for excessive force.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Sure glad I didn't become one. Ended up in a career with better hours, pay, and benefits.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#15]
People probably said the same thing about the military after vietnam. We now have the greatest, all volunteer, military in the world.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Leftist politicians will start issuing badges, handcuffs and guns to Antifa. They will become the new Cheka/Stasi.
View Quote

This. BLM types too. And those guys will love to take your guns. Cop threads in GD will be glorious when those guys are policing your neighborhoods. That is if ar15.com isn’t shut down as a white supremacist terrorist hate website by then.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any sane person would not subject them selves to lack of support from their department?
View Quote
departments are failing to support their cops for not being trigger happy enough.

Look to officer Mader, whose Marine Corps training and Afghanistan experience helped him understand that just a gun doesn't create a threat.  He was able to identify the person as a non-threat and so didn't shoot.  And was fired for it

https://features.propublica.org/weirton/police-shooting-lethal-force-cop-fired-west-virginia/
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wanted to be a cop growing up

Man Im glad I didnt
View Quote

That about sums it up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#19]
The laws that will soon be changed will put an end to the police force in Colorado.  Just have investigators to show up and try to determine who needs arrested, then text the criminals to turn themselves in.  Going to be glorious in the city.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People probably said the same thing about the military after vietnam. We now have the greatest, all volunteer, military in the world.
View Quote

Or it will turn into what the military of the 70’s was... the employer of last resort, if you can’t get a job anywhere else
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't in 96 when I got out of the military after seeing the Rodney King shit in 92. It's worse to be a cop now but for different reasons.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I never would have wanted to and now even less. But young people will do it.
Some like the power. People coming out of the military seem to like it.
View Quote

Only rookies think they have power. A jail sgt can refuse charges. A DA can drop charges. On larger departments, there’s public integrity to investigate any criminal complaint, and internal affairs to pick through administrative violations. Then there’s the media.  And the FBI/DOJ.
Cops with any sense realize they have no power.  
Not saying they should or shouldn’t but power troopers either have an epiphany or they get ran off.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
24+ as a LEO in a major city

For evil to triumph.... good men only need to stand by and do nothing

I’m beat down, tired, feeling unappreciated and stereotyped with little support from the top.... but I’m not broken and I still believe in right and wrong

I’ve lost several friends to gun fire and I was there for a few of them... in their memory and for the guys and gals that do the right thing daily...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
With the present view of mistrust of law enforcement officers, why would any one choose that profession?
View Quote

People who enjoy exerting power over others will always be drawn to positions that allow them to do so. There will be no shortage of applicants. However, there could be a shortage of decent cops.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
People who enjoy exerting power over others will always be drawn to positions that allow them to do so. There will be no shortage of applicants. However, there could be a shortage of decent cops.
View Quote

Many departments across the country had a shortage of applicants before the riots.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Only rookies think they have power. A jail sgt can refuse charges. A DA can drop charges. On larger departments, there’s public integrity to investigate any criminal complaint, and internal affairs to pick through administrative violations. Then there’s the media.  And the FBI/DOJ.
Cops with any sense realize they have no power.  
Not saying they should or shouldn’t but power troopers either have an epiphany or they get ran off.
View Quote

Truth...
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pay cuts, days off without pay, minimal if any retirement benefits, and if you get health care its expensive. Can't keep up with the private sector. We have a number of smaller agencies that pay minimum wage. You pay for your own academy training, uniforms and equipment. It costs a bunch to get started. Academy tuition is between 8k and 10k.

View Quote

Holy shit, you need to lateral to another state. Where I'm at, my pay is very competitive compared to cost of living and our benefits are solid. Minimum wage? Fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Holy shit, you need to lateral to another state. Where I'm at, my pay is very competitive compared to cost of living and our benefits are solid. Minimum wage? Fuck that shit.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#29]
We usually get 5-9 applicants for 7 openings, We might be able to hire one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#30]
They already have a hard time hiring people, they will just lower the standards.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Very few.

We can't keep up with attrition now. The number resigning and or retiring is overwhelming. We typically run 25 to 30 in a recruit class. Our current class is 18. The next class is 9.

Pay cuts, days off without pay, minimal if any retirement benefits, and if you get health care its expensive. Can't keep up with the private sector. We have a number of smaller agencies that pay minimum wage. You pay for your own academy training, uniforms and equipment. It costs a bunch to get started. Academy tuition is between 8k and 10k.

View Quote

There were some rural departments in Tennessee that had insurance plans that had premium family plans that were unreal expensive and no retirement....Why do that? Find a county that is mid-sized and has decent benefits/

People would quit state corrections at better pay for the glory of the road in some tiny county, and then realize they needed EBT to survive and many went back because of state benefits.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, people who become police officers don't get into the job because they see it as a chance to crack skulls and shoot people, they do it to help their neighborhoods and neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Will your pay and benefits, be enough outweigh the possibility of being sued or left out in the cold by your department.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Leftist politicians will start issuing badges, handcuffs and guns to Antifa. They will become the new Cheka/Stasi.
View Quote

Would imaging in communist countries that is exactly how it's done..

When there is only two classes of people...those in the camps and those watching those in the camps...
The watchers get 3 hot meals a day and a warm place to sleep at night...winters up north get mighty cold.

Far better to be a watcher than a slave in a forced labor camp.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pension and[color=#ff0000] health benefits[[/color]
View Quote

My city's insurance was hot garbage.

I plan on going back to it in a few years.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The mistrust isn't universal.

Small towns like mine have a lot of respect and trust for the local town police department, small towns like mine also pay well and have a good budget so they can pick and choose the best candidates and train/equip them properly.

Maybe I'm naive but outside of inner city / poorer income areas (where policing is often underpaid/understaffed/under-trained/overwhelmed) I don't see the hate.

View Quote

People here generally love cops and want them to take care of scumbags right quick.  Wealthy area, tough to get hired, lot of guys work part time gigs a long time until they get hired full time.  I knew a guy 20 years ago wanted to be a local cop, just got hired on full time in his 40s.  Worked for a bigger dept before getting the dream job.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Showed my kids a bunch of riot and looting clips to alleviate them of any illusions of nobility or righteousness of the current “protests”. My 11yr old son immediately said he wants to be a cop.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would not do it again.

Majority of the population does not support you.

Agency does not support you.

Government does not support you.

Retirement really isnt that great.

Nah.....would not do again.
View Quote

Ditto.  I am also done with that career field.  The us vs them mentality during shift briefing was getting to be too much and too stupid.  Now with these riots I am sure it's 10x worse.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Very few.

We can't keep up with attrition now. The number resigning and or retiring is overwhelming. We typically run 25 to 30 in a recruit class. Our current class is 18. The next class is 9.

View Quote

And after today you may get criminally charged for something you didn't personally do.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yes, people who become police officers don't get into the job because they see it as a chance to crack skulls and shoot people, they do it to help their neighborhoods and neighbors.
View Quote

I'm not really sure if you're familiar with the context in which this discussion is taking place.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Many departments across the country had a shortage of applicants before the riots.
View Quote

Yup.  Where before we'd get hundreds, now we get ten or twenty and more than half of those are cut immediately.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Happily retired.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#44]
The right tends to thrive on good things/news

The left on tends to thrive on bad. Lower standards lead to more bad cops. That benefits their narrative.

"Our police keep us safe and stable" is the language of the Right.

"Our police cause harm and are biased" is the language of the Left.

One side is invested in trying to keep things from fucking up.   One side is invested in things fucking up.

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#45]
You’re an idiot if you sign up to be a cop in today’s America. No question
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe there are still some americans that have a sense of service and duty for their community and state. Pick a good area, in the south and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#47]
The same phenomenon of people not wanting to go into law enforcement happened during/after the Viet nam war.  The government came up with the Law Enforcement Education Program (LEEP).  Under that program, student loans were made available to anyone who might be interested in a career in law enforcement.  It didn't have to be police work only, corrections, parole and probation, and any other law enforcement agency would qualify.

If the student went into a qualifying law enforcement agency, 25% of their loan balance would be forgiven for each year they worked full time in law enforcement.  So, after four (4) years the loan obligation would be forgiven in total.  It worked out great for many people.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The same phenomenon of people not wanting to go into law enforcement happened during/after the Viet nam war.  The government came up with the Law Enforcement Education Program (LEEP).  Under that program, student loans were made available to anyone who might be interested in a career in law enforcement.  It didn't have to be police work only, corrections, parole and probation, and any other law enforcement agency would qualify.

If the student went into a qualifying law enforcement agency, 25% of their loan balance would be forgiven for each year they worked full time in law enforcement.  So, after four (4) years the loan obligation would be forgiven in total.  It worked out great for many people.
View Quote

The State of Texas pays for an undergrad for Texas cops.   It has to be from a qualified school. I think that means the State Universities, which are plentiful and has to be a qualified degree, I think that list is pretty long.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I wanted to be a cop growing up

Man Im glad I didnt
View Quote

After college, just because it sounded fun....I took PA's ACT 120.
It was interesting and after I was offered two jobs. Both paid less than the $5.25 I was making at that point as an Environmental Resource Manager, so I didn't take them. All pay sucked there back then.
As the areas grew, so did the pay for police. I could have tried again and now they make a good buck back there.....

But I'm glad I didn't do it.
Now....I find myself siding more against the police than with.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top