Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2020 5:37:02 PM EDT
Public school districts probably don’t like it as it eats away at the teacher unions and the control over a child’s education.

I understand that closing public school puts a bind on two income families or single parent households when it comes to young children that can’t be left home alone. However it could be a boon for one-room schoolhouses where a few families could co-op and parents could teach what their particular background would bring to the overall education of a group of kids.

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's great. We've been doing it for a few years now, but parents are waking up to the fact that it isn't hard to homeschool, and it doesn't have to take 6 hours a day; 5 days a week to get the subjects in.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I think not, moms and dads found out what is like and will have nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope so.

That will make it easier for my kids to prosper in their adult lives.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Millions are saying now that they've seen what they can do at home with modern resources and how pathetic what they were doing at school was, they are keeping them home.

Even those who think their schools were adequate are now worried about the spread of disease as a major reason to keep kids home.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]
people who were on the fence may tip over. Most people will be even more against it.

I’m trying to push our district to roll out a hybrid system utilizing the online portal they have already and we used for the last 10 weeks. It would help a ton with the large budget shortfall we’re facing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate to sound pessimistic, but I think we will see a growth in the number of homeschooling families (that's the good thing), which is likely to lead the teachers and government to advocate for more restrictions and oversight.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:08:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#7]
There are many districts talking about not even starting the school year in the fall like they normally would.

Right now, they're caught off-balance trying to figure out how to adapt to all the proclamations and doomsday predictions by modifying the school year, staggering schedules, and going hybrid.

It's validating to watch in many ways because there isn't a lot of good leadership rising up to problem-solve.

Precious few people in positions of influence are talking about vouchers, other than one of our Gubernatorial candidates in Utah, Tom Wright.

What is interesting to watch is how many age-old proponents of public school are now talking about home-based education, online classes, private school, and public school.

Even statists who love the power of forcing people to send their children to government school have to now pander to voters so they don't appear to be who they really are.

Think about the parents who believe everything they're alarmed about from the presstitutes.

Most of them who make decisions based on emotions will side with protecting their kids from exposure to virus-infected classrooms, and find alternative means on how to go about their child's education.

Many will still stick with the school district online programs, while others are seeking home education curriculum at unprecedented levels.

Demand for home-based educational curriculum and materials has literally sky-rocketed.

One Home School curriculum company alone has experienced a 700% increase in orders even after ramping up production in anticipation of their already increasing demand pre-COVID, and initial spikes in early COVID lockdown indictors.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I am waiting for someone to file a lawsuit against school districts to get their money back.  My children go to private school,  so that is $8800 a year that is stolen from me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
We have a town hall this Thursday. If virtual is forced, or if there are unreasonable restrictions (spacing, masks, daily temp checks, no cafateria, open recess, etc.), I will explore better curriculum via straight homeschooling. If my wife and I are going to be anchored to our kids during our day, I'd rather have the control over what they learn.

And yes Op...I didn't even know we had a homeschooling sub. I doubt I'm the only one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:37:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keib:
We have a town hall this Thursday. If virtual is forced, or if there are unreasonable restrictions (spacing, masks, daily temp checks, no cafateria, open recess, etc.), I will explore better curriculum via straight homeschooling. If my wife and I are going to be anchored to our kids during our day, I'd rather have the control over what they learn.

And yes Op...I didn't even know we had a homeschooling sub. I doubt I'm the only one.
View Quote

You’re in Florida, probably the friendliest state towards homeschooling. There is a convention in Orlando every June ( end of school year) that displays and sells curriculum, graduates the seniors in an official ceremony, and various workshops.

Also many groups that you can join, usually local in the different counties. They are generally based on the reason you choose homeschool: religion, politics, special needs, a poor public education system, etc.

Like him or not, one year Gov. Rick Scott was handing out the diplomas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top