Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2021 1:45:03 PM EDT
The boss is wanting to get a bigger SUV, currently in a Subaru Crosstrek.  The kids are both adults so no need for the third row seating. She wants more cargo space and more pick up in the engine.

She looking at the Highlander and the Passport.  I’ve been looking at the Outback but I don’t think she wants to go that route.

Anyone have experience with the new Passports?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Either one will be great. We had a Highlander, 185K trouble free miles.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't speak to the Passports but the highlander we had was great.  It felt a little doggy to me but when you changed the driving mode out of eco it wasn't bad. Ours had captain's chairs for the back seats and we just left the 3rd row down so we would have the cargo room. It was a fantastic vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought the wife unit a new highlander premium awd hybrid in white. She wanted a land cruiser, and is still not happy about getting put in the highlander, but its a damn nice car and gets 30-31 mpg in the mountains here.
We looked at Sequoia, Land Crusier, 4runners, Tahoe, and Suburbans. 3 small kids and I'm a cheap ass, so it came down to a 4runner or Highlander, and since the wife drives to town every day at least once for no good reason, she gets the Highlander.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Is Subaru out of the question? We have a Ascent and we're pretty pleased with it. It's definitely bigger n seats 6or 7 depending on the package. We have the touring package because my wife likes all the expensive useless things like the mocha leather and navigation.

They are awesome in the snow and with a 2" lift and tires and wheels it makes an awesome mini van.

My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a pilot and we love it. 4 years, 50k 100% problem free...
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I would buy a Highlander based on the name alone.  Do you want drive a car named after badass Scottish warriors or a small blue booklet?

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Highlander
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
No Sequoia???

Then highlander.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Saw a couple new Passports driving around and they look good but I don’t know much about them. Pretty hard to go wrong with Honda and Toyota.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Pilot would be a better comparison to the Highlander....both are great...in our area the Pilot is or was $10,000-$12,000 less...I ended up with a Pilot due to that reason...zero issues
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Lifted 4Runner!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pilot would be a better comparison to the Highlander....both are great...in our area the Pilot is or was $10,000-$12,000 less...I ended up with a Pilot due to that reason...zero issues
View Quote

Why would the Pilot be a better comparison?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The boss is wanting to get a bigger SUV, currently in a Subaru Crosstrek.  The kids are both adults so no need for the third row seating. She wants more cargo space and more pick up in the engine.

She looking at the Highlander and the Passport.  I’ve been looking at the Outback but I don’t think she wants to go that route.

Anyone have experience with the new Passports?
View Quote

There can be only one
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they are similar sized 3 row SUV's. The passport is new and a weird size between the Pilot and CRV. They are all priced pretty similarly though Pilot Passport Highlander
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are much closer in size than the Passport and the highlander
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because they are similar sized 3 row SUV's. The passport is new and a weird size between the Pilot and CRV. They are all priced pretty similarly though Pilot Passport Highlander
View Quote

I was reading about the differences between the Pilot and Passport. Passport is more of an off road model per se.

Going to have to go take a look in person.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:22:46 AM EDT
[#17]
It's also 5 vs 7 passengers. I would be amazed if their were any real mechanical differences that mattered. They just made a ruggedized looking model because that's what is hot now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:35:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is Subaru out of the question? We have a Ascent and we're pretty pleased with it. It's definitely bigger n seats 6or 7 depending on the package. We have the touring package because my wife likes all the expensive useless things like the mocha leather and navigation.

They are awesome in the snow and with a 2" lift and tires and wheels it makes an awesome mini van.

My 2 cents.
View Quote

I was going to suggest that also, but as Subaru has basically run out of 2021 Ascents and stopped production because of the chip shortage. Maybe something that's available would be better.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:46:14 AM EDT
[#19]
The Hondas look plane, it was a hard pass for the wife. We went with the Highlander Platinum. Second row leg room is insane. Wife loves this car.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#20]
My wife drives a ‘17 Highlander.  It’s a nice mom-bomb, granny mobile.  The seats fold flat if needed and the middle row will slide forward for extra cargo room with the third row folded down. Her version is AWD and it handles like a champ in the snow.  Since it’s a Toyota, it’s boringly reliable.  My only complaints are that it’s a bit under powered (my opinion not hers) and Toyota’s placement of the drivers side mirror causes a blind spot while making a left hand turn.  
I just hope it’s like our 2006 Avalon, that old girl is still going strong with 365k miles.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you looking new or used?  New I'd go Highlander.  Used, Highlander or Pilot.  Friends don't let friends buy CVT transmissions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top