Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2024 12:22:01 PM EDT
Because fuck cancer.

Two weeks ago she was diagnosed with lobular carcinoma in her left breast.  It’s the “sneaky” cancer.  She had implants done back around 2006 after 4 kids.  Kept them around 10-11 years. Breast tissue regrew, had them removed and lifted.  All has been good up until her last mammogram a month ago.  

We’ve met with the surgeon, the plastic surgeon and things are looking good at this point. She elected a double mastectomy because why not?  As we always say around her, get both!  Odds are high with a lumpectomy of this form of cancer returning.  Take it all and take them both!  And the odds of better symmetry is increased. Because of the size of the tumor, it’s stage 2. Once they remove the breast and a sample of her glands, we’ll know more. Not sure of chemo or radiation path until removed tissue has been biopsied.

Yesterday the plastics guy showed us his big book of boobs he’s worked on. Showed us the complicated ones that went wrong and how he fixed them and showed us the easy ones.  He’s an artist from what we saw.

Surgery might be as soon as tomorrow afternoon. She’s waiting on word from both surgeons.  If so, first step is breast removal and plastics guy steps in and does expander inserts and prepares the skin for future implants. Expanders will be in place for any and all radiation/chemo. Once that is done, implants can go in after she gets a green light from the oncologist.

Guys, make sure your wives keep up with their mammograms!  My wife went about 30 months since her last. And honestly, the only reason she went is because two of her coworkers just completed their breast cancer procedures and therapies.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck to her for treatment going well and a fast recovery.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Prayers sent. Fuck cancer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck and God bless.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Hoping for the best for her.

Why no mammogram every year?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good luck and God bless.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because fuck cancer.

Two weeks ago she was diagnosed with glandular carcinoma in her left breast.  It’s the “sneaky” cancer.  She had implants done back around 2006 after 4 kids.  Kept them around 10-11 years. Breast tissue regrew, had them removed and lifted.  All has been good up until her last mammogram a month ago.  

We’ve met with the surgeon, the plastic surgeon and things are looking good at this point. She elected a double mastectomy because why not?  As we always say around her, get both!  Odds are high with a lumpectomy of this form of cancer returning.  Take it all and take them both!  And the odds of better symmetry is increased. Because of the size of the tumor, it’s stage 2. Once they remove the breast and a sample of her glands, we’ll know more. Not sure of chemo or radiation path until removed tissue has been biopsied.

Yesterday the plastics guy showed us his big book of boobs he’s worked on. Showed us the complicated ones that went wrong and how he fixed them and showed us the easy ones.  He’s an artist from what we saw.

Surgery might be as soon as tomorrow afternoon. She’s waiting on word from both surgeons.  If so, first step is breast removal and plastics guy steps in and does expander inserts and prepares the skin for future implants. Expanders will be in place for any and all radiation/chemo. Once that is done, implants can go in after she gets a green light from the oncologist.

Guys, make sure your wives keep up with their mammograms!  My wife went about 30 months since her last. And honestly, the only reason she went is because two of her coworkers just completed their breast cancer procedures and therapies.
View Quote

She getting to keep her nipples or not?  I know that is an option sometimes.

I have been learning a lot about breast cancer lately because my wifes best friend was just diagnosed with it a week ago.  Luckily they caught it early, but its close enough to the surface that enough skin will be taken they are going to do a lift of both while they are at it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good luck and God bless.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I was all loaded up with a Total Recall joke but this thread is not what I thought so I'll just say hoping for a full recovery.

Really though, "third boob".  Get it?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#12]
OP best of luck. Get your wife a genetic marker test. She might be at a higher risk for ovarian cancer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Wise choice on the double mastectomy, better be safe than sorry. We chose the same with my wife when she was diagnosed. Best of luck and we will keep her in our prayers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Back in 1998 I found a lump. They didn't know for sure if it was cancer or not, and they were going to send it to the lab before closing up after removal. I told the doc before surgery, if it's cancer take them both. Thankfully it was not, it was a benign fibroadenoma.

I go yearly, the only time I missed was during the covid bullshit. I'm sure that whole thing caused women to have cancer that was more progressed than it would have been if everything wasn't shut down.

OP, your wife will be in my thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good luck and God bless.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Prayers outbound.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Prayers sent for a speedy and full recovery. Give the wife best regards from all us retards in GD
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Cancer Self-Defense 101

Women who eat a single white-button mushroom a day are like 50% (or some huge percentage) less likely to get breast cancer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was all loaded up with a Total Recall joke but this thread is not what I thought so I'll just say hoping for a full recovery.

View Quote

It wasn't just you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Good luck OP, I hope she a fast recovery.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Prayers for your wife. I know a few people who have had radiation and implants after that and it's a tough road. Hopefully putting the expanders in during the treatment will help.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Prayers for both of you
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Wishing you and your wife the best. My wife had a preventive double mastectomy and reconstruction Jan 2023 at age 37 and a final revision/exchange Jan 2024. It’s a long road but well worth the piece of mind. Be her rock, she’ll need you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I hope the third boob matches the first two well.

Blessings to her, her surgical team, and her family of support, and above all fuck cancer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Is this an AMA post?

Serious question.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I hope the surgeries go smoothly and she has to do very little chemo or radiation treatment.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Because fuck cancer.

Guys, make sure your wives keep up with their mammograms!
View Quote
My wife had a lumpectomy and they took several lymph nodes.  They call the procedure a mastectomy, scary.  Last exam they ordered an MRI, she has implants and they needed to see clearly.  They found something near the breastbone and then ordered a PET scan.   Very stressful times.  Luckily all is clear.  

Out of pocket was over $1K on each exam.  Fuck obama.

Best luck OP!

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#29]
My wife going through a similar breast cancer.  We are early in the process.   Does insurance help with the reconstruction/implants?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#30]
You two should have a serious discussion about NOT getting implants.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#31]
This is relevant to my interests as my wife refuses to get any more mammograms.

She says they hurt like a BITCH and can't be good for the breast to mash it like that.

I do wonder why another type of imaging can't be used what with all the advancements made over the years with image technology.

Best of luck to you and your wife OP and yes, FUCK cancer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Same reason the shoe makers kids have no shoes.   She’s a medical pro. Has the “this will never happen to me” mentality sometimes.  She has worked with both surgeons in the OR and they know her well.  

Quoted:
OP best of luck. Get your wife a genetic marker test. She might be at a higher risk for ovarian cancer.

Yep.  It’s scheduled.

Quoted:

She getting to keep her nipples or not?  I know that is an option sometimes.

The plastics guy is working on it.  He’s reached out for her records when her first reduction and implants were done to see how her last plastics guy reattached them.  Apparently there is three different methods of reattachment.
He wants to study her pics more and read about all of past procedures and implant type she had.  This guy is very thorough.  He’s not worried about the areola as much as the nipple.  He has a tattoo guy.  

Quoted:

You think I did that by mistake?  

Quoted:
Is this an AMA post?

Serious question.

I’m willing to give it a shot.

Quoted:
My wife going through a similar breast cancer.  We are early in the process.   Does insurance help with the reconstruction/implants?

Pretty sure it’s now mandatory they cover it now.  Wife was reading about it in her big book of breast cancer they gave her.  It’s also mandatory to cover a double if she wants it with cancer only on one side.

Quoted:
You two should have a serious discussion about NOT getting implants.

But why?  All the breast tissue that breast cancer grows in is removed.  Besides, that would be a bigger mental game for a woman that has sported DD’s all her life.

I will add, with this type of cancer she’s supposed to go on hormone blockers the rest of her life.  But this might change with both breasts getting removed and no more breast tissue.  I did tell her she cannot grow a mustache and/or a beard.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
They did for my wife's back in 2017. They wanted to do a lumpectomy/radiation and then chemo, but she already had implants from a reduction earlier in life so they would have had to remove the implants, put expanders in, radiation, then reinstall the implants then chemo. They did her mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time and then she didn't need radiation because all the tissue was removed. 100% covered by our insurance, even the breast that wasn't affected, minus our $1000 deductible
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Total Recall- 3 breasted mutant (Mutante de 3 pechos)
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Dammit Scott!

I clicked on this thread to make a comment about wives/boobs/pics - maybe even a really clever 'Total Recall' reference, and you have to make me feel things, real things.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Prayers for your wife.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Godspeed
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Good luck.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Prayer sent.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Best wishes...
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Best of luck
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#42]
My prayers for a successful procedure and a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Best wishes to you both!  

Fuck cancer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Hope all works out for your wife OP

I'm broken and jaded from numerous family members health issues. I find that if you want cancer, go to the doctor to get checked out, and they'll find it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#45]
It sucks if a fellow can't convince his wife to get either mammogram or colonoscopy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, she did it again. Pulled strings at work, got an OR that was closed due to low surgeries being done reopened and got both her surgeons on board for an 8 am surgery date tomorrow morning.  
She’s one hell of a strong, determined woman.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Ask her if she will get 3 implants and you can donate a nipple for the middle one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Just sent her the YouTube link to see if the plastics guy is up to adding a third.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well, she did it again. Pulled strings at work, got an OR that was closed due to low surgeries being done reopened and got both her surgeons on board for an 8 am surgery date tomorrow morning.  
She’s one hell of a strong, determined woman.
View Quote

Good luck, man!

I wanted to make jokes, but this is real.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top