Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2020 1:20:30 PM EDT
My son gave me his used Iphone, and suggested I put Ubuntu on it when I complained about the browser. I don't like Safari, and I don't like Apple scooping up all of my info, so I hesitate to enter login passwords.

I have 26 gig available, so installing it shouldn't be an issue.
But why?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't like Safari?  How about install/use Brave browser?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Xubuntu or some lite distro, you can use brave on all of them, safari is hot garbage tho
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]
tag

I didn’t know you could install linux on an iphone
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't like Safari. I can make it look like Chrome, or I can even download Chrome and use that.

Here's my bitch. I sold my soul to Google a long time ago. There's no taking it back, and I don't care at this point.
Now Apple is datamining the crap out of me. I had to give them more information than my Physician has on me, to include a payment option to use in the Itunes store just to get a free app from the Apps store. If I download Chrome and use it on my phone, Apple will figure out a way to steal all of my passwords. And put it the stupid Cloud, another account I don't want.

I like Ubuntu. I'm using Ubuntu MATE right now, on three computers.

My question should have been...if I download Ubuntu onto my Iphone, will it show up as an app, and will Apple be able to track my surfing or access my Google account?

I really don't understand how it all works. I would rather surf on my phone from a completely different Operating System (Ubuntu), if it will block Apple's efforts to track and profile me. If it won't do that, I see no reason to download Ubuntu.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Whoa, you can put alternate operating systems on an iPhone?!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]
https://iextras.org/

The video answers my question about how it works to run two OSs at the same time.
I'm still leery of what Apple gathers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I would suggest running Lineage OS on a slightly older Android phone.  I've been running it for 2-3 years now, nice to cut loose from Google but still have a modern phone.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#8]
iPhones run iOS. Apple probably collects less information on you than Canonical does, and they aren’t using whatever they do collect to sell like Google and company do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would suggest running Lineage OS on a slightly older Android phone.  I've been running it for 2-3 years now, nice to cut loose from Google but still have a modern phone.
View Quote
This is very much what I would like to do, however I struggle to find threads mentioning phones that are essentially 100% compatible.  That is to say, every phone seems to have this or that that either doesn't work, only works a little, etc.  And I'm far too old and too busy to spend weekends hacking and troubleshooting software anymore, I just want to click something and have it work.

What phone are you using?

To OP: I have my wife's spare iPhone, and while I've always hated Apple with a passion, the thought of nuking it from orbit and installing *nix is appealing.  This is a complete wipe of IOS, and re-installation of ubuntu?  Or some weird perversion of one OS riding on top of the other?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is very much what I would like to do, however I struggle to find threads mentioning phones that are essentially 100% compatible.  That is to say, every phone seems to have this or that that either doesn't work, only works a little, etc.  And I'm far too old and too busy to spend weekends hacking and troubleshooting software anymore, I just want to click something and have it work.

To OP: I have my wife's spare iPhone, and while I've always hated Apple with a passion, the thought of nuking it from orbit and installing *nix is appealing.  This is a complete wipe of IOS, and re-installation of ubuntu?  Or some weird perversion of one OS riding on top of the other?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

iOS is Unix.   Why would you want a fake, shitty, copy of it?

All the struggles you describe are Linux.  It's a piece of shit.  It always has been, it always will be, and it will never be a desktop OS.

If you want to "click something and have it work", you buy an iPhone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was running an older Samsung 5 on T-Mobile.  Everything worked, encrypted storage, had a 256 GB micro SD card in it.  Plenty fast for my purposes.

Lineage OS is a successor to CyanogenMod - it's Android w/o Google.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:. iOS is Unix.   Why would you want a fake, shitty, copy of it?

All the struggles you describe are Linux.  It's a piece of shit.  It always has been, it always will be, and it will never be a desktop OS.

View Quote
Wow, someone had trouble w/ Linux.  OP, Linux is basically open-source Unix.  I don't think you're gonna get full native Linux on an iPhone - if you do, post up.

I run UbuntuMATE on my laptops, it's easy to install and you can dual-boot w/ Windows 10 if you have to.  I run Windows when I need to inside a virtual machine w/in Linux.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow, someone had trouble w/ Linux.  OP, Linux is basically open-source Unix.  I don't think you're gonna get full native Linux on an iPhone - if you do, post up.

I run UbuntuMATE on my laptops, it's easy to install and you can dual-boot w/ Windows 10 if you have to.  I run Windows when I need to inside a virtual machine w/in Linux.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:. iOS is Unix.   Why would you want a fake, shitty, copy of it?

No, Linux is a bad copy of a long defunct teaching operating system that wasn't even Unix, licensed under the GPL that places significant restrictions on your use of it.  Unix is *actually* open source, licensed under the BSD licenses that don't restrict your use of it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:23:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Um OK

BSD is unix, System V is unix, IRIX and SunOS and HPUX and AIX are unix, so was SolbourneOS and the various DEC and NEC ports.

Linux is linux.

What does any of this have to do with the possibility of running an OS other than IOS on an iPhone?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:32:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Um OK

BSD is unix, System V is unix, IRIX and SunOS and HPUX and AIX are unix, so was SolbourneOS and the various DEC and NEC ports.

Linux is linux.

What does any of this have to do with the possibility of running an OS other than IOS on an iPhone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um OK

Linux is linux.

Because there’s no reason to do it, unless you’re a gpl fanatic like Stallman. You already have a proper Unix on the phone. Linux brings literally exactly nothing to the table on your phone.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:14:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because there’s no reason to do it, unless you’re a gpl fanatic like Stallman. You already have a proper Unix on the phone. Linux brings literally exactly nothing to the table on your phone.
View Quote
Can it get me the hell away from Google, apple, and YouTube, and their goddamned theft of my information and privacy?

Because that would certainly be something.

And what's wrong with GPL?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Josh is not who I listen to when I come to this forum.

I know enough about Ubuntu and MATE to know it is a fine desktop OS. I don't care what his opinion is.
My question is bolded in one of my posts up there. I don't think putting Ubuntu on my Iphone will stop Apple from tracking my internet usage, keeping passwords, etc, so I am not going to bother installing Ubuntu. I'll just limit my internet usage and treat the phone like a phone.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can it get me the hell away from Google, apple, and YouTube, and their goddamned theft of my information and privacy?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it can’t.

The gpl isn’t free. It’s a highly restrictive license written by a communist.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well I'm not here to back Josh up. He and I have our share of disagreements on things. But I will tell you that I find the "anti Tivoization" clause in the GPLv3 to be a bit political. Also, the static linking restrictions in LGPLv3 place a critical handicap on it in today's world of app stores and containers.

My current license of choice, philosophically, is MPLv2. But if you want adoption, you basically need to license as MIT. You can license as ASLv2 if you want to confer patent rights to your users.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top