User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/2/2020 7:31:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The free market is a good thing.

It's surprising that more people don't know it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]
If people don't understand supply and demand, just look at oil right now.  Ya know that shit that they
said we would run out of.  Yesterday Trump said gas is .99 in some places, fuck me running.  If that
doesn't splain it, I don't know what will.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems to me the prudent thing to do would be to limit quantities instead of raising the price. I guess it's easier to just jam the price way up and make bank off of paranoia. Fuck 'em

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#5]
People hoarding and turning around to price gouge isn't necessarily bad either.

I'd rather an unemployed person make money selling masks than a govt handout.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#6]
People would rather see empty shelves with standard price tags under them than see goods available.

People are stupid.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#7]
< lol >
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess that's one way to spin it. I understand it but don't try to tell me you're some moral crusader
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Seems to me the prudent thing to do would be to limit quantities instead of raising the price. I guess it's easier to just jam the price way up and make bank off of paranoia. Fuck 'em

View Quote

Price is information.  If quantities are limited but price fixed, current and potential suppliers/producers see nothing that would convey to them a need to take on risk in order to increase/start supplying/producing.  If the price goes up and quantities are unlimited, then the risk to start or increase supply/production is offset by the potential for added reward.  This continues until demand is satisfied, either at some new higher level, or by returning to the old baseline, resulting in market equilibrium.  Your solution would still result in a shortage, just a more "fair" shortage for everyone.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Gouging is the price paid for being unprepared.  Some will learn.  Most will not.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Gouging is the price paid for being unprepared.  Some will learn.  Most will not.
View Quote

I'm glad I bought every sealed battle pack Walmart had on clearance that wasn't already neckbeard. It's not a huge pallet of ammo but if I need to start dipping into my sealed stock then shit has really hit the fan.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Entirely disagree because it depends on the circumstances.  

Price gouging on ammo during a panic?  Sure...go for it.  You guys don't want to acknowledge this but thats a luxury item and the fact is no one is going to die or get sick because they didn't get 5 cases of M193.

Price gouging on healthcare items needed during a pandemic?  Frankly you deserve whatever comes your way...I don't know how anyone who does that shit can look at themselves in the mirror.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I guess that's one way to spin it. I understand it but don't try to tell me you're some moral crusader
View Quote

Someone will make money selling those goods to the most desperate people.

Why not me?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Price gouging on ammo during a panic?  Sure...go for it.  You guys don't want to acknowledge this but thats a luxury item and the fact is no one is going to die or get sick because they didn't get 5 cases of M193.

Price gouging on healthcare items needed during a pandemic?  Frankly you deserve whatever comes your way...I don't know how anyone who does that shit can look at themselves in the mirror.

View Quote

Which healthcare items?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#15]
The problem is the resellers that hoarded the supplies in the first place thus creating the shortage.  

When people do that with things that people consider essential then there’s some moral dilemmas that come about.  Then the slippery slope begins...if someone is withhold lifesaving medicine from someone out of greed, is it then ok to kill/rob that person out of survival?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Which healthcare items?
View Quote

masks, hand sanitizer, etc...

Sorry...but buying that crap in bulk and selling it a retarded markup like some have been doing is douchebaggery when we are facing a crisis like this...
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
People would rather see empty shelves with standard price tags under them than see goods available.

People are stupid.
View Quote

It's that simple.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is not spin. It's fact and economic law.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Someone will make money selling those goods to the most desperate people.

Why not me?
View Quote
My statement stands
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The problem is the resellers that hoarded the supplies in the first place thus creating the shortage.  

When people do that with things that people consider essential then there’s some moral dilemmas that come about.  Then the slippery slope begins...if someone is withhold lifesaving medicine from someone out of greed, is it then ok to kill/rob that person out of survival?
View Quote

Ah, and away we go. "He was charging $3 a gallon for gas after a hurricane! He should be drug out and shot!"

What price should this non-hypothetical guy be selling at?

What if he decides not to sell at government enforced pricing? Should he also be forced to open and do that?

And how long does the gasoline last at regular pricing in a crisis? Will the guy order another tanker truck?

And on and on. But feeeeeels!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Everything can be spun. Like I said I understand it and don't necessarily disagree with it. Just don't expect me to consider the guy hoarding baby formula to extort desperate families in order to make a profit during a crisis to be a saint
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#23]
What you meant to say is why the law of supply and demand is a good thing...
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Everything can be spun. Like I said I understand it and don't necessarily disagree with it. Just don't expect me to consider the guy hoarding baby formula to extort desperate families in order to make a profit during a crisis to be a saint
View Quote

He’s risking his capital, he reaps the reward of said risk. Don’t like his price, buy elsewhere or don’t buy it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm ok with retailers raising their prices to meet demand but the neckbeards that buy up everything at retailers to flip it can go DIAF.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Price gouging is a fabricated bullshit term.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Non-essential items and supplies... I don’t think IGAF how much price gouging goes on.

Essentials (food, water, gas) or certain items uniquely important to the situation (hand sanitizer, PPE) ought to be rationed and/or apportioned appropriately.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Non-essential items and supplies... I don’t think IGAF how much price gouging goes on.

Essentials (food, water, gas) or certain items uniquely important to the situation (hand sanitizer, PPE) ought to be rationed and/or apportioned appropriately.
View Quote

Who would you suggest is in charge of this rationing and apportionment?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Demand responsive pricing is not price gouging.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I dont want to see it with some healthcare or medicine. That malaria drug is like $5 but if it could be gouged it would be $5k or above a treatment if free market decides that.

Stuff like gas, TP, ammo, hand sanitizer, masks, I dont care. If hospitals decided it was a great idea to have 2 days worth of PPE on hand then so be it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Even CTD-level gouging.  I won't buy from them, but if somebody REALLY wanted to pay $900 for a case of M193, it was available
View Quote
CTD got a heaping pile of shit because of how fast they went from normal prices to gouge everyone!!!!

However, a year into the panic after Sandy Hook I had a 3 gun match and training session to attend back to back.

I needed ammo and my LGS, Academy, Wal Mart, and Cabelas were all bare.

However, CTD had exactly what I needed with no quantity restrictions. Yeah I paid $1 per round for 5.56 but I was able to train and compete.

I also learned a valuable lesson. Stockpile when things are good to prepare for when things are bad.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why?

Most of the sellers of so-called gouged items don't have to worry about paying off the last shipment they themselves received, nearly as much as having to pay for the next shipment they'll receive.

ETA: high prices in a disaster area also create an incentive for someone in the unaffected area to buy up a bunch of whatever where it's not scarce and bring it to where it is. Would you do that without a shot at making a profit?

They also incentivize people who have large stashes of whatever to sell their bottled water rather than sit on it. And light a fire under the producers of same to crank up production even if it means suspending production of some other profitable item. And force people to think about whether they need this gallon of off-highway diesel to runa generator to watch television more than the guy who's going to run his generator to power a fridge full of insulin.

Higher prices also keep the good from running out entirely. Every good and service has a market-clearing price. Fix the price below it and run out. Fix the price above the market-clearing price and goods rot in the warehouse.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#33]
What's with all these threads defending price gouging? Are people attempting to quell their consciences and rationalize to themselves their own greed?

Price gouging is immoral, period. Aside from that, the argument is fallacious. If the goal is to help people, then limiting purchases is the answer--not astronomically raising prices. Raise prices too high, and now normal people can't get stuff because they simply can't afford it--not because others have hoarded it all. The loss in supply is artificial due to vastly unequal distribution.

This situation is really bringing out the selfish sociopath in a lot of people.

Another thing--the people doing the price gouging are really just hoarders themselves--they're hoarding everyone else's cash, which then gives them the resources to actually hoard lots of supplies. It's greed, fear, and selfishness all rolled into one.

At the rate this is all going, people will have to start selling themselves into slavery just to keep food on the table. That's what will happen when the supply chain totally breaks down, the police are all gone, and organized crime starts taking claiming territory.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What's with all these threads defending price gouging? Are people attempting to quell their consciences and rationalize to themselves their own greed?

Price gouging is immoral, period. Aside from that, the argument is fallacious. If the goal is to help people, then limiting purchases is the answer--not astronomically raising prices. Raise prices too high, and now normal people can't get stuff because they simply can't afford it--not because others have hoarded it all. The loss in supply is artificial due to vastly unequal distribution.

Another thing--the people doing the price gouging are really just hoarders themselves--they're hoarding everyone else's cash, which then gives them the resources to actually hoard lots of supplies. It's greed, fear, and selfishness all rolled into one.

At the rate this is all going, people will have to start selling themselves into slavery just to keep food on the table. That's what will happen when the supply chain totally breaks down, the police are all gone, and organized crime starts taking claiming territory.
View Quote

So, you’re ok with selling your house for 1/10th of market value to someone that doesn’t have a house because that’s all they can afford?  I mean, to sell your good at a price determined by the supply and demand and market derived price would be rather selfish and sociopathic of you otherwise...
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The free market is a good thing.

It's surprising that more people don't know it.
View Quote

No such thing as a free market.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Demand responsive pricing is not price gouging.
View Quote

This. The gubment seems to be now defining price gouging as “hoarding necessary health & safety products then reselling at a profit.”  simply raising prices doesn’t seem to qualify.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ah, and away we go. "He was charging $3 a gallon for gas after a hurricane! He should be drug out and shot!"

What if he decides not to sell at government enforced pricing? Should he also be forced to open and do that?

And how long does the gasoline last at regular pricing in a crisis? Will the guy order another tanker truck?

View Quote

do people argue free market economics at a armed angry crowed and expect results where you get paid in a time of crisis?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#39]
OP is missing a third concept: the price gouger may/could/should suffer reputation damage and lose future sales in proportion to how much they  increased prices. That's a completely normal response that businesses and individuals shouldn't be protected from. It keeps prices from going too high when demand is unlimited.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The law of supply and demand tells us...yabba, dabba, doooo!
View Quote

Enjoy your cavity search and federal property seizure.

Brooklyn Man Arrested by FBI for Hoarding N95 Masks and Price Gouging

Video: FBI Warehouse Raid

A Brooklyn man claiming to be infected with the coronavirus coughed on FBI agents who were investigating him for hoarding medical supplies, the US Attorney’s Office said Monday.

Baruch Feldheim, 43, is facing charges of assault and making false statements to the feds on Sunday outside his Borough Park home where he allegedly peddled and stored massive amounts of N95 respirator masks, federal officials said.

Feldheim is also accused of price-gouging. On March 18, he’s suspected of selling a New Jersey doctor about 1,000 of the masks for $12,000, a markup of roughly 700 percent, authorities said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

do people argue free market economics at a armed angry crowed and expect results where you get paid in a time of crisis?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either your post is unclear or I'm screwed up: are you claiming that right and wrong are determined by which side can raise the largest angry mob?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Even CTD-level gouging.  I won't buy from them, but if somebody REALLY wanted to pay $900 for a case of M193, it was available
View Quote

No one cares that CTD raised prices.

People care that CTD canceled already placed orders at the lower prices to resell the goods at the vastly higher prices.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Limiting quantities doesn't temper demand with the truth about supply.  If the quantities are limited people are more likely to buy up to the limit whether they need the item or not because of human nature.  The limit on purchases reinforces their belief that the item is in peril or running out and therefore they should buy the most they can right now.  With a higher cost that same person would be inclined to buy only what they actually need rather than hording whatever they can get at the time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The law of supply and demand tells us...yabba, dabba, doooo!

A Brooklyn man claiming to be infected with the coronavirus coughed on FBI agents who were investigating him for hoarding medical supplies, the US Attorney’s Office said Monday.

Baruch Feldheim, 43, is facing charges of assault and making false statements to the feds on Sunday outside his Borough Park home where he allegedly peddled and stored massive amounts of N95 respirator masks, federal officials said.

Feldheim is also accused of price-gouging. On March 18, he’s suspected of selling a New Jersey doctor about 1,000 of the masks for $12,000, a markup of roughly 700 percent, authorities said.

Emotionally price gouging "feels" like it's wrong to the non-thinking public.  Therefore political organizations such as the FBI will make sure that the person using good economic principles is punished for wrongthink.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#45]
To those here that don’t understand the difference between capitalism and exploitation of a deadly crisis for profit, enjoy your new laws because they ARE coming.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
To those here that don’t understand the difference between capitalism and exploitation of a deadly crisis for profit, enjoy your new laws because they ARE coming.

View Quote

By people that confuse feelings with facts and don't understand basic economics.

I'll refer you to Thomas Sewell's writings on the matter.
https://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2004/09/14/price-gouging-in-florida-n944053
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#47]
As usual, OP is spot on. People who complain about things like price gouging are a huge part of the reason we can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you rather have those families do without?  High prices ensure availability when demand increases.  Price controls create sustained shortages.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#49]
72hr auction
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Define and explain "apportioned" for me if you would...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top