Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2021 8:38:14 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Link

Next year’s Social Security cost-of-living adjustment could be the highest it’s been in years.

Boosting retiree income could mean they will face additional costs in other areas.

Now one senior advocacy group plans to petition Congress to step in and help.

The Social Security cost-of-living adjustment for 2022 could be the highest it has been in decades.

The latest estimates from The Senior Citizens League, a nonpartisan senior group, point to a possible 6.2% increase for next year based on the latest Consumer Price Index data. In comparison, this year’s bump to benefits was just 1.3%.

Yet next year’s prospective increase comes as seniors are already facing rising costs. Moreover, higher Medicare Part B premiums and taxes on benefits could also eat away at that adjustment.

Now, The Senior Citizens League is hoping to do something about it.

Last week, the organization sent an email to supporters informing them of its plans to petition members of Congress for new $1,400 stimulus checks just for seniors.

“We have really hit a nerve with that first email,” said Mary Johnson, Social Security and Medicare policy analyst at The Senior Citizens League. “It was an immediate response of support for the idea.”

The group received more than 100 replies from seniors who shared their stories.

100! A tsunami!

More than 50 of those messages mentioned having to cut down to one meal a day or trouble affording groceries, Johnson said. Many of the seniors who responded also said they were cutting back on prescription drugs.

While next year’s COLA could be the highest it’s been in years, for many seniors that is cause for concern, Johnson said.

A big COLA makes low-income seniors nervous that they are going to be facing adjustments to their Medicare costs, to food benefits, rental subsidies and that sort of thing, Johnson said.

New stimulus checks could be a way to get extra non-taxable income to them, Johnson said. The hope is that those payments could help defray the higher costs some would face if next year’s COLA bumps them into a higher tax bracket, prompting higher levies on their income and surcharges to their Medicare Part B premiums.

The Senior Citizens League plans to contact Congress with its campaign soon, Johnson said. The group plans to advocate for payments particularly for low- to middle-income retirees, though it is flexible on the terms of how the money would be distributed.

To be sure, polls show additional stimulus checks are widely popular with Americans. However, there has been no indication that Congress plans to include fourth payments in its busy fall legislative agenda.

A Data for Progress poll released in January found 65% of Americans are in favor of monthly $2,000 stimulus checks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
More of our emails would have gone through, but most of us tried to send them using the microwave.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
FJB
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.... $1400 or so once a year should definitely help seniors cover costs for the year.  Either do it right or quit committing death to this country by a thousand needles.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#4]
"Boosting retiree income could mean they will face additional costs in other areas."

Wat?
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If we didn’t allow the Chamber of Commerce to artificially suppress competition in the labor market, employers would be forced to offer better retirement benefits and this wouldn’t be a problem.

Instead, we’re allowing them to import more and more cheap labor because they’re “our” guys.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#6]
$1400 foe me and my wife and I'm buying a 50 cal!
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Boosting retiree income could mean they will face additional costs in other areas."

Wat?
View Quote

Right up there with "I don't work OT because I lose money on taxes"

??
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
$1400 foe me and my wife and I'm buying a 50 cal!
View Quote
That isn't buying much of a 50 cal.

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#9]
If we just print enough money, we can pay for more stuff.

Which causes inflation.

But then if we just print enough money...

Boomers ruined this nation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Those fucking stimulus checks are the exact reason costs are going up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#11]
How bought they cut taxes instead for everyone...
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#13]
It says retirees, and it says senior citizens.

How about us non senior citizen retirees?

We needs the money too!

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#15]
how else are early 50's retired arfco-millionaires going to afford their backup to their backup nods

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#16]
A Data for Progress poll released in January found 65% of Americans are in favor of monthly $2,000 stimulus checks.
View Quote

Of course they are! That would be just the ideal amount to make working completely unnecessary. I mean who the fuck wants to work if they can instead just get $2,000 every month to stay on the couch? If they happen to have a spouse or live in significant other, then they'll bring in enough money every month to live the American dream, all without ever having to get up and go outside. I'm just surprised that the poll numbers aren't actually higher. I mean working is for suckers, right? How dare that other 35% of respondents use their intelligence to come up with the notion that there isn't an endless supply of "free money" to draw from and this might somehow be a bad idea long term. Buncha damn racist Trump supporters!
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Give it to them - Biden left millions of $$$, pallets of cash for the fuckin Taliban!

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Remember, there is no inflation, things are just costing more money.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 12:58:23 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

I'm buying the rifle that will just be for starter ammo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Fuggem, buncha whiney old people.  I've been told by the Potato-in-Chief that inflation is a temporary thing and not to worry.  I'm a senior.  

Trust the potato.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Leeches.
Leeches everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 1:19:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing it's because about half the people don't pay income taxes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I should create an advocacy group that demands $5 million each for veterans.

Because America, freedom, apple pie and such.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 1:31:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

61% in 2020
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Right!!!
its seems so simple but politicians aren't very bright
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top