Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2021 2:52:18 AM EDT
I have been researching getting a Doberman as my first dog. Live in a 1-bedroom apartment and I think I'm up for the active lifestyle that a Doberman needs. From my research so far, I'm really attracted to the qualities of intelligence, loyalty, size, and outdoors-acuity that Dobermans seem to have.

However, Dobies are listed on my apartment's breed restriction list, along with Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, and "Wolf Hybrid."

Is this a case of black = evil? Are their scary representations in horrid 80s action flicks giving them a bad rap? Are they the AR-15 ("black rifle bad") of the dog world? Or am I wrong and they're a problematic breed for apartment dwellers like me...

Thanks ahead of time.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The four types of dogs you mention have, at some point, been the popular "badass/super dangerous dog" in the media.

Dobermans in the 80s. Hell, I still remember Zeus and Apollo from Magnum PI.

Good luck. Dobies are great dogs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:42:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the list also is a de facto screening tool for the renters, not the dogs alone.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#3]
That list is too short.  People in 1 BR apartments should not have any dog bigger than 10 pounds.  OP might be the exception that actually has and spends the time and energy to train a larger breed.  But since apartment owner has no idea who is renting year to year it's a good policy to restrict pet size IMO.

I had a roommate years ago that brought home a dobie pup.  No warning or discussion.  Had two problems with it.  First, we both traveled for business.  When the dog was a pup if he traveled the dog would cry non-stop.  I could not stop it.  It was very much bonded to he alone.  Neighbors were not pleased.  

Second, I brought home a date when my room mate was gone and was cuddling in front of the fireplace and damn dog kept licking her ankles.  I tried telling it that was my job but he would not stop.  He was cock blocking me

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Two thoughts:

1) People that know nothing about dogs make up those lists.

2) People living in a 1 bedroom apartment have no business owning a Doby.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a dobe, don’t crop it’s ears or cut of the tail and just call it some kind of hound dog.  No one will no the difference.

The dog takes on a completely harmless look w/o this classic features and people just awesome they are as gentle as they look with tails and regular dog ears...
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I was attacked by a Huge doberman when I was a kid, been nervous around them ever since.  Also had multiple bad incidents with Chows.  
Grandpa had an old Chow that would let me in the gate and be friendly.  When I'd try to leave after riding the horses, he'd meet me at the gate trying to bite me.  I kept a piece of metal pipe
stuck in the fence by the gate to keep him off.  After a near miss once where he was letting me pet him, then 2 minutes later trying to grab my leg, I told Grandpa "If you ever want to get rid
of him I'd like to have him."  Grandpa asked why, I told him I'd chain the dog to a pine tree and beat him to death with a claw hammer.  I was happy when the dog died.

Like the poster above said, cropping the ears and tail makes them look meaner.  My red pit has a long tail and floppy ears and she's been a sweetheart baby to everyone for 7 or 8 years now.  UPS and Fedex and USPS people have spoiled her rotten.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Breed restrictions in and of themselves are not based on reality.  Dobermans, pit bulls, and rottweilers are the breeds "everyone knows" are mean fighting dogs that will kill any babies that get near them for no reason.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two Dobermans. The only dogs I’ve been bit by were a Chow and Lab-mix.

Find another apartment complex.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, dobermans are one of the few breeds of dogs that were bred originally to be aggressive toward humans.  That being said, they really don't stand out in terms of bites, severe bites, fatalities, etc..  Like almost everything else, HOAs are FOS.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Because when I was in elementary school a guy on my dirt road had two of them.  Every day they would charge the fence.  Barking and slobbering gnashing their teeth trying to kill me.   I still hate that breed.
I got the last laugh.  I married his granddaughter.   We are divorced now.*
I also called your apt manager and had them added to the list when i found out you were moving there.

*this part is true
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Breed restrictions in and of themselves are not based on reality.  Dobermans, pit bulls, and rottweilers are the breeds "everyone knows" are mean fighting dogs that will kill any babies that get near them for no reason.
View Quote

Hell, when we had our first kid, we had people ask us "What are you going to do with your dogs now?", and our dogs were certainly not the "typical" breeds.  Some people just think all dogs are baby killers, especially dogs that aren't coffee-cupped size.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Find another apartment
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The four types of dogs you mention have, at some point, been the popular "badass/super dangerous dog" in the media.

Dobermans in the 80s. Hell, I still remember Zeus and Apollo from Magnum PI.

Good luck. Dobies are great dogs.
View Quote
An older man that Dad used to tobacco farm with had a Dobie. His name was Moe and when you got out of the car/truck he would take you by the elbow and lead you to the front door. My Grandfather about messed his drawers the 1st time Moe took his elbow in his mouth. Moe was a great dog.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Dobermans were very popular as guard dogs /attack dogs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#15]
FPNI

Dobes were the 1980’s pit bull.  Completely undeserving of it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Killers, all of them :-)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy a house, then get a dobie.

Snakes also make good apartment pets.  They are quiet, non-destructive, and take up very little space.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#18]
When the breed was developed in the late 1800s, their sole purpose was to be a personal protection dog. That has since been bred out of them and it's actually difficult to find one that can do that work now. They were the bad dog back in the 70s/80s before rottweilers and now pit bulls. If you do get one be very careful screening breeders, they have a lot of health problems that need to be screened for that the backyard breeder on craigslist won't bother testing for.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#19]
We have had at least 8 in our married life. we love them and they love us. And UPS spoiled some of them, one would go into fits hunting his ball when he saw the brown truck coming. We had 1 white dobie, out of a litter that had 3 more whites.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get a dobe, don’t crop it’s ears or cut of the tail and just call it some kind of hound dog.  No one will no the difference.

The dog takes on a completely harmless look w/o this classic features and people just awesome they are as gentle as they look with tails and regular dog ears...
View Quote

Came to suggest the same.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Is the owner a boomer who grew up in the 70s?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a note from your doctor saying that's it's your emotional support animal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#23]
You don’t have a Doberman...you have a “mixed breed”
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#24]
The doberman gang, duhhh
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Doby put a hole through my hand when I was 4-5 yo. It was my fault I reached through the fence to pet it. Banning dogs because "scary" is stupid.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I've yet to hear mine growl. He's my little guys 105 pound shadow and hands down one of the best dogs I've ever had. His health is rapidly declining and this house and family won't be the same without him.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Buy a house, then get a dobie.

Snakes also make good apartment pets.  They are quiet, non-destructive, and take up very little space.
View Quote

They (snakes) don't do as well on a leash as a dog, but you don't have to feed them as often as fish.

Some nice dobies in the thread so far.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Two thoughts:

1) People that know nothing about dogs make up those lists.

2) People living in a 1 bedroom apartment have no business owning a Doby.
View Quote

Insurance companies make up those lists based on who got paid when bit.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That list is too short.  People in 1 BR apartments should not have any dog bigger than 10 pounds.  OP might be the exception that actually has and spends the time and energy to train a larger breed.  But since apartment owner has no idea who is renting year to year it's a good policy to restrict pet size IMO.

I had a roommate years ago that brought home a dobie pup.  No warning or discussion.  Had two problems with it.  First, we both traveled for business.  When the dog was a pup if he traveled the dog would cry non-stop.  I could not stop it.  It was very much bonded to he alone.  Neighbors were not pleased.  

Second, I brought home a date when my room mate was gone and was cuddling in front of the fireplace and damn dog kept licking her ankles.  I tried telling it that was my job but he would not stop.  He was cock blocking me

View Quote
200lb English mastiffs make good apartment dogs.  

seriously.

eta: size, energy and trainability aren't related.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Weimaraner
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

especially dogs that aren't coffee-cupped size.
View Quote

I've seen more aggressive tiny dogs, than larger ones. One chihuahua, got punted across the room, as it wouldn't stop biting at the back of my leg, as I was walking across the room. He bit a bit too hard and went flying.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
200lb English mastiffs make good apartment dogs.  

seriously.

eta: size, energy and trainability aren't related.
View Quote

Provided the dog can live in a confined space and has an owner that properly socializes it and exercises it - I really have no problem with ANY breed.  Dogs are innately good.  Bad owners are the problem and sometimes it just means people who don't properly train their pet and create an aggressive animal by accident.  The risk of a larger dog not getting enough exercise with neighbors so close is real.  

I suspect on average though larger dogs need more space than smaller ones.  There is one other factor and that is if an animal does become aggressive I really don't give a darn if it's a chihuaha.  Not like it's gonna rip little Timmy's face off.

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Dobermans were very popular as guard dogs /attack dogs.
View Quote

This. They also were common police dogs. In the 80's I adopted a retired police doberman. Awesome dog and amazing skills but would eat people on command. I had to be aware of the limits with her.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#34]
A dog helps his owner who is afraid of a snake
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:52:10 AM EDT
[#35]
OP here...

The responses have been SO valuable, thank you all. It's so encouraging to see your personal examples of pups and good boys.

I'll cut to the chase. I've made some consolations in my approach. Due to my current renting situation, the TOTAL shit-storm that is the current home buyers market in my area, and the immediate need to re-sign my lease, I've decided that a gundog would be more appropriate for me at this time. My desire continues to find a dog that is trainable, energetic, and sociable.

In recent weeks I've become obsessed with the Hungarian Vizsla. The ultimate mountain-biking dog, and the also-ultimate "velcro dog." Since I recently got word that I work from home until fall (and then after that, it's 2 days in 3 days out), I feel that now is the time. (Also, my office is 2 minutes from home, if indeed we actually go back to the office.)

Hoping to make this work.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I worked with a Border Patrol Vizsla, great breed if that sample was any inclination.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Probably because Doberman were the "scary" dog breed of the 70's and into the 80's until pit bulls and, to a lesser degree, Rottweilers took over the number one fear position and along with that, the (I own a scary dog) popularity contest.

When I was a youngster if someone owned a "scary" dog, it was a Doberman.  "Guard" dogs were usually German shepherds.  Into the late 80's that began to change as people learned about these mean, super scary, vicious fighting dogs that were the king of vicious dogs...the pit bull.  That kind of reputation makes some people want one and they became super popular and super notorious.  

I would guess whoever wrote that list of no-go dogs is either someone is 60 plus years old or googled the list of most common scary dogs or some such garbage.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#38]
They need a lot of attention, if you work and they are alone all day, you may not get the experience you are hoping for
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:42:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They need a lot of attention, if you work and they are alone all day, you may not get the experience you are hoping for
View Quote

OP here. Thank you. I'm prepared to give this dog everything it needs physically and mentally. I work from home and even if/when I do go into the office, I'm 2 minutes away. Currently working through several books and am researching across 8 topics of planning so that I'm prepared with the right tools, toys, methods, routine, and activities.

By the way, I've been reserved a Vizsla puppy as of last weekend. T-minus 7 weeks until the mayhem begins
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Op. Get ready to walk several miles everyday.

My vizsla ran 3-7 miles a day when she was a pup.  Now she is 11 and mostly lays on the couch.

If you dont excercise them they get very mischievous.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have been researching getting a Doberman as my first dog. Live in a 1-bedroom apartment and I think I'm up for the active lifestyle that a Doberman needs. From my research so far, I'm really attracted to the qualities of intelligence, loyalty, size, and outdoors-acuity that Dobermans seem to have.

However, Dobies are listed on my apartment's breed restriction list, along with Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, and "Wolf Hybrid."

Is this a case of black = evil? Are their scary representations in horrid 80s action flicks giving them a bad rap? Are they the AR-15 ("black rifle bad") of the dog world? Or am I wrong and they're a problematic breed for apartment dwellers like me...

Thanks ahead of time.

View Quote

Because, based on insurance industry statistics (I.e. claims & payouts) they rank in the top 10 like German shepards, akitas, etc. https://www.propertycasualty360.com/2015/10/07/10-dog-breeds-most-often-blacklisted-by-home-insur/?slreturn=20210326105456
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Insurance companies make up those lists based on who got paid when bit.  
View Quote

This is my experience.  Own a multifamily building and our insurance company said no to Dobies, Pits, Chows, Rotts, and GSD.  

I had the same insurance company for a rental house I owned.  They sent someone out to do a random walk-around one day and a chow happened to be in the yard.  I get a letter a week later saying my coverage had been dropped.  Needless to say, I was pissed.  I called and raised hell with the insurance company and they claimed that a "dangerous breed" was living on the property.  They quickly back-pedaled when I informed them the house had been empty for a month and I was in the middle of doing some renovations.  

Some owners will also go with the "Fab 5" list just out of concern for liability.  It may be from a position of ignorance but they just don't want to roll the dice.  In reality, it is usually about the pit bulls more than any of the others.   Maybe German Shepards, too, but, not allowing them just eliminates a huge potential source of headaches, usually other tenants whining about how they feel unsafe around such a killer animal.  Lots of people are stuck in the Miami Vice mindset where Dobermans and Rottweilers are blood-thirsty protectors of drug dealers.  The liability isn't just from bites but also jumpy idiots who might fall down a flight of stairs to get away from that evil beast that would sooner lick you to death that even nibble on your finger.  The landlord is usually first or second on the lawsuit paperwork.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Because people are retarded. It' s a boogyman de jour in early 80s. media crap. Not any more dangerous than any other dog-great dog if somewhat fragile. BUt I m sure you didn't mean "doberman"- it must be a black lab mix lol.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#44]
As an aside, if you anticipate going back to the office, take the time to accustom your dog to extended periods of time alone before that day comes.

It can be a huge shock for them to go from someone around all day to alone for hours at a time, and dogs who are especially Velcro in nature do not make that adjustment well. Train early, train often.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I know nothing about Vizlas off to Google
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I got the last laugh.  I married his granddaughter.   We are divorced now.*

*this part is true
View Quote

Um, who got the last laugh?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Im in a 1 bdrm apt now waiting for my house to close. My dobie (Pooh) is loving it
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#48]
I’ve had 6 Vizslas.  2 in my back seat now.  You made the best choice.

Need a lot of exercise. Don’t like being alone. Do not take harsh correction. Great upland bird dogs.  Like boats and water but get cold fast.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top