Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2019 3:04:14 PM EDT
We all know PayPal is a shity anti-gun company.  So why is it that almost nobody on here uses alternatives?  Is it just because new things are scary, or is nobody tracking that PayPal isn't the only option anymore?  I know everyone is doing PayPal transactions that don't have the purchase protection, regardless of the service provider nobody honors the terms of service in regards to what they say you can or can't sell or how the service is used, so why stick with anti-gun PayPal?  Plus, the fuck-over VT and MA residents by generating a 1099k if you do more than $600 in transactions in a year, the federal standard is $20k.

I am selling a bunch of guns and accessories ahead of a big move and it is getting really annoying that people keep asking for my PayPal info when nowhere in my listings do I say I take PayPal...  Google Pay or Zelle is easier and quicker.  What's is going to take to get people to change over?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Unlike Zelle, with PayPal you have some recourse as the purchaser.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Google is a garbage company as well, so not sure why you are bashing pp and not google.

Weak rant btw
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Recourse for gun items? I'm confused about that statement.  I thought question was good, but hell not all my thoughts are clear and concise like so many experts I've come to read in GD.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thought thread was gonna be about crypto.... OP advocates for Google Pay
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please explain.  What are you going to tell customer service when you're buying things they explicitly say you shouldn't be using their service for?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Recourse for gun items? I'm confused about that statement.  I thought question was good, but hell not all my thoughts are clear and concise like so many experts I've come to read in GD.
View Quote
Recourse on gun items? Why not? There are tons of gun items on ebay. What don't they cover?

I recall some things weren't allowed but optics mounts bipods reloading gear etc. must be.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Google is a garbage company as well, so not sure why you are bashing pp and not google.

Weak rant btw
View Quote
They're all garbage, no news there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Recourse on gun items? Why not? There are tons of gun items on ebay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recourse on gun items? Why not? There are tons of gun items on ebay.
Good point, I thought PayPal was against gun purchase.  I stopped ebay years ago and forgot about that. TY
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good point, I thought PayPal was against gun purchase.  I stopped ebay years ago and forgot about that. TY
View Quote
Sure, there are optics and some furniture parts on ebay, but anything that is critical to the function of a firearm is prohibited.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I use PayPal because I like their no fee "business debit card" and that I can send money to people "instantly" (comes out of my linked checking account within a couple of days) without paying any kind of fee.

If you know of an alternative that'll let me do that, let me know.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use PayPal because I like their no fee "business debit card" and that I can send money to people "instantly" (comes out of my linked checking account within a couple of days) without paying any kind of fee.

If you know of an alternative that'll let me do that, let me know.
View Quote
They're the two I mentioned in the original post. No fees for either and the transaction is instant.  Zelle is even available through my banking app so I don't even have to download another app for my phone.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#12]
So ive been using PayPal on eBay since like 1998.

The few times ive been almost fucked over (as a buyer) I got my money back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I use PayPal for FTF purchases on line mostly now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Because 65 year old people and everyone else knows what it is and how it works.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#15]
They all suck.

Sell on a local board in your state and do ftf transaction for cash.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They're the two I mentioned in the original post. No fees for either and the transaction is instant.  Zelle is even available through my banking app so I don't even have to download another app for my phone.
View Quote
Does Google Pay have a debit card I can get? Also, I have tried to use Zelle and whenever I send or receive from someone more than $50, it takes 3 days for them to get it, not including weekends. With PayPal I could send or receive $5000 and it'd be available immediately.

It's all digital, nobody should have to wait for money. Maybe I don't send or receive enough money often enough for Zelle to trust me, but PayPal does because I've been using them for more than 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]
They were WAY more cool when they were X.COM
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
With Zelle you cannot (to my understanding) reverse a payment.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll take Zelle or USPS Money Order and nothing else.  and fuck Paypal.   Google pay, no thanks.

Why do you think so many want you to use Paypal friends and family, cause there is no payment protection if your actually selling something.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Because they are your pal. For paying. It's simple.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#21]
how about move out of VT and stop eating Ben and Jerrys
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We all know PayPal is a shity anti-gun company.  So why is it that almost nobody on here uses alternatives?  Is it just because new things are scary, or is nobody tracking that PayPal isn't the only option anymore?  I know everyone is doing PayPal transactions that don't have the purchase protection, regardless of the service provider nobody honors the terms of service in regards to what they say you can or can't sell or how the service is used, so why stick with anti-gun PayPal?  Plus, the fuck-over VT and MA residents by generating a 1099k if you do more than $600 in transactions in a year, the federal standard is $20k.

I am selling a bunch of guns and accessories ahead of a big move and it is getting really annoying that people keep asking for my PayPal info when nowhere in my listings do I say I take PayPal...  Google Pay or Zelle is easier and quicker.  What's is going to take to get people to change over?
View Quote
And far fewer sellers use them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#23]
how is venmo?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
how is venmo?
View Quote
Aren't they just PayPal rebranded for young people?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
So does the recipient need zelle as well?
I see my WF,app has it.
Is there any protection like a CC or PP has?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Zelle is a U.S.-based digital payments network owned by Early Warning Services, a private financial services company owned by the banks Bank of America, BB&T, Capital One, JPMorgan Chase, PNC Bank, US Bank and Wells Fargo.[1] The Zelle service enables individuals to electronically transfer money from their bank account to another registered user's bank account (within the United States) using a mobile device or the website of a participating banking institution. The Zelle instant payment service was launched in 2017.

Zelle users can send money to other registered Zelle users. (They can also attempt to send money to unregistered recipients, in which case the intended recipient will receive an invitation to sign up for the service in order to complete the transaction.) Users access the network within the websites and apps of Zelle-participating U.S. financial institutions[3] and through the Zelle mobile app. To register with the Zelle mobile app, users must enroll a supported MasterCard or Visa-branded debit card issued in connection with a U.S. bank account.[16] The network connects with existing bank accounts, so consumers do not need to fund a separate account to use the service.[4] Only the recipient's email address or mobile number is needed for a user to send money directly from their bank account to the recipient's bank account.[6] Each email address or mobile phone number may only be actively enrolled in Zelle to receive payments at one financial institution. To register at multiple banks, users need to provide different email addresses or mobile phone numbers for each.[17]

Payments made using Zelle cannot be canceled (unless an attempt was made to send a payment to someone who has not enrolled in the service).[23] The Zelle service is intended for payments to those the payer already knows and trusts adequately, and the service disclaims any responsibility for goods and services sold through the system.[20]

The website for Zelle that was launched in June 2017 says that "Transactions between enrolled Zelle users typically occur in minutes. If your recipient is not yet enrolled with Zelle, it may take between 1 and 3 business days after they enroll."[13]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#27]
You use google pay bitching about how paypal is antigun?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So does the recipient need zelle as well?
I see my WF,app has it.
Is there any protection like a CC or PP has?
View Quote
You enable the service within your banks app.  It's that simple.

I send you money via your email address.  You get it.  Done,
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Hmmm so the op does not want to get in bed with PayPal but is fine with Google.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Aren't they just PayPal rebranded for young people?
View Quote
Pretty much yeah. They started off as their own company but they got bought by PayPal. I've had people tell me they refuse to use Paypal and then ask me if I had Venmo. That's like saying you hate Chevy you only buy GMC.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Consumer guy Clark Howard advises against Zelle for several good reasons. If you do use it he has some sound advice for that as well:

https://clark.com/technology/heres-why-clark-says-stay-away-from-the-zelle-payment-app/
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#32]
87% of websites now have a Paypal option.  Paypal has two factor authentication which makes it more secure(if you set this up).  I can purchase from many more sites without worry about who I just gave my CCard info to, or how good is their security.

I don't see any or OP's better options when I check out...

Sucks about their politics but it's a tool that I don't yet see a viable alternative too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm aware Google is a shit company too, but they are the lesser of two evils in my opinion.

Why don't you enlighten me and explain how the service offered by PayPal is better than the financial service of Google Pay.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
87% of websites now have a Paypal option.  Paypal has two factor authentication which makes it more secure(if you set this up).  I can purchase from many more sites without worry about who I just gave my CCard info to, or how good is their security.

Sucks about their politics but it's a tool that I don't yet see a viable alternative too.
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Pretty weak rant.  Why do people use the most popular payment option online?  Hmm....
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why don't you enlighten me and explain how the service offered by PayPal is better than the financial service of Google Pay.
View Quote
#1. PP is commonly used in the EE and Google pay isn't.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Because 65 year old people and everyone else knows what it is and how it works.
View Quote
Yep and until something easier and better comes along that's my story.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And once upon a time people didn't use PayPal either.  So basically people don't like change.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm aware Google is a shit company too, but they are the lesser of two evils in my opinion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supporting Google financially is literally no better than supporting Paypal.

In fact it may be worse.

Google Pay bans guns, ammo, silencer and magazine sales FYI.

https://support.google.com/faqs/answer/75724?hl=en
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'll take Zelle or USPS Money Order and nothing else.  and fuck Paypal.   Google pay, no thanks.

Why do you think so many want you to use Paypal friends and family, cause there is no payment protection if your actually selling something.
View Quote
They want to use friends and family to avoid fees, it's that simple.

Not everyone is trying to screw everyone else over.

Also, I find it odd when people won't accept a money order.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#41]
western union
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Weak rant btw
View Quote
It would seem that a whole lot of folks that make chips now have no idea how that technology was originally developed.

It was NOT for civilian consumer products.

You would not believe how much SiGe is on missile guidance radar receivers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sure, there are optics and some furniture parts on ebay, but anything that is critical to the function of a firearm is prohibited.
View Quote
That's not even remotely true
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was just going to post something along these lines.  Right now PayPal is the best option on the market and offers protection for transactions that are along the lines of what you would experience from your credit card company.  They do a good job.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Google is one of the most leftist, America hating anti gun companies out there...why did you choose them?

Not sure who owns zelle, but I bet it's a similar story.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We all know PayPal is a shity anti-gun company.  So why is it that almost nobody on here uses alternatives?  Is it just because new things are scary, or is nobody tracking that PayPal isn't the only option anymore?
View Quote
Well, the pro-gun company, gunpal, turned out to be a real shitty company.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Why OP, because I fucking like it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Please explain.  What are you going to tell customer service when you're buying things they explicitly say you shouldn't be using their service for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
not everything sold here is considered banned.  perhaps you should view the EE categories more.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So basically people don't like change.
View Quote
Correct, welcome to life
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Because there isn't a better option at the moment.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top