Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2020 11:45:09 PM EDT
Well?

Watching a movie about Russian tankers in Afghanistan... British accent.

Nazis in ww2... British accent.

Imperial storm troopers... British accent.

British soldiers in the Patriot... you guessed it, British accent.

Why though?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Because Mel Gibson REALLY Hates the British.  

He Hates them even more than he hates the Jews.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It makes them sound all menacing and also super stupid and kind of cuntish.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The British produce a huge stable of professional actors for the entertainment industry. The really good ones surprise you because you learn of them first in American productions when they're acting with perfect American accents and you are gobsmacked to learn they're limeys.

Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Never understood this.
Stuff written in the 18th century, sure. Now? Probably our best allies.
French accent for bad guys would be fun but how “bad” could they be? Unless they were reinforcements I guess.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
To be fair you Yanks don’t want to hear an American accent as the bad guy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The British produce a huge stable of professional actors for the entertainment industry. The really good ones surprise you because you learn of them first in American productions when they're acting with perfect American accents and you are gobsmacked to learn they're limeys.

View Quote

This is true. Good observation. Sometimes Australian.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The accent gives credibility. Better villains, better infomercial salesmen, better debaters, whatever.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Why do ancient Romans always have english accents?  Why don't they sound like they're from Jersey?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
At one time, there were British colonies all over the world and I'm sure that some of them picked up the accent.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you never seen this commercial?

British Villains - 2015 One Show Automobile Advertising of the Year Finalist
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#12]
British actors are cheap. Sorry, did I ruin the mystery?!
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Do
Quoted:
To be fair you Yanks don’t want to hear an American accent as the bad guy.
View Quote

Do you even Tony Soprano?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do

View Quote

No, haven’t watched that yet. But I’ve been meaning too. Next show hole I’ll give it a go.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Because it makes them sound pompous and faggy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do

View Quote
Don't be ridiculous. Tony Soprano wasn't the bad guy.  His kid's were.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why though?
View Quote
Because there's a (metric) fuck ton of British actors, and it's better to hear their accent than a brit doing a fake russian/italian/german accent.

Fake accents, unless perfectly mastered, kill a good film.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Never understood this.
Stuff written in the 18th century, sure. Now? Probably our best allies.
French accent for bad guys would be fun but how “bad” could they be? Unless they were reinforcements I guess.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Brits have some explaining to do...
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Nahh, the real bad one's have vaguely implacable eastern european accent

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why do ancient Romans always have english accents?  Why don't they sound like they're from Jersey?
View Quote

It’s Written! That’s Why!  
Life of Brian - Stoning (HD) Complete scene
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.

Classic British theater training produces amazing actors.  

The "villain" aspect comes from two directions.  Said theater training helps for well punctuated over the the top moments (Like a lot of Christopher Lees career)  it also created a still deadpan villain that is not a flat performance. Like Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin.  

Watch the way Patrick Stewart delivers many of his lines.  It is a rather smooth but deadpan delivery. Rather stiff even.  Yet he commands the screen.  The tension in his face, neck and body, his gaze, the intention he delivers with.  It is masterful. It is confident. It becomes arrogant if it were a villain. Which, if you are looking for that, there it is.  

American training, which is evolved from the Russian Moscow Theater (Stanislavski) around a century ago, produces a different style of acting.  Think about how James Dean or Al Pachino act (Stanislavski style trained actors) compared to Alec Guinness or Patrick Stewart.

The British classical theater training has mostly resisted Stanislavski influences.

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#23]
NPR loves to use British accents to dump their beliefs on American listeners, they think it just reeks of sophistication or something.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#24]
How about that?!

The Englishman just showed up in the last Mummy movie, with Brendan Fraser and Jet Li, and l see this thread.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Because there's a (metric) fuck ton of British actors, and it's better to hear their accent than a brit doing a fake russian/italian/german accent.

Fake accents, unless perfectly mastered, kill a good film.
View Quote

Just look at that God-aweful southern accent Nic Cage tried in Con-Air.   Decent enough movie but l can never watch it again because of that horrible southern accent.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:12:22 AM EDT
[#26]
What,  you want a Scottish accent?

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#27]

You know the story behind that shot?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 2:06:11 AM EDT
[#28]
British actors doing American accents is even funnier.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 2:45:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
  Because "Hey yo! My homeys and shit. Listen up!  I'm here to plant that motherfucker,  Ceasar not write a song about that POS. The good shit we do is gone when we fuck up but that bad shit is on the internet and goes on and on.... " just doesn't resonate like classic Shakespeare.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 2:59:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Because a bad guy with a French accent could never be taken seriously.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Us British are real bad ass
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Because the Cold War is over and making the Russians the bad guys is an overplayed trope.  

I want more black representation in movie bad guys
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

The few exceptions when using a hard R is acceptable
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Because no one would be afraid of a villain with a trailer park accent (Deliverance might be the exception).
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was explained to me once that the British studios also select their movie actors primarily for their proven acting ability after they've gotten experience in plays, whereas the American studios select movie actors primarily based on how photogenic they are.

Americans don't give a shit if the good guy is played by a great actor, but they really eat it up if the bad guy is played by a great actor.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I liked Andrew LIncoln as Rick Grimes in TWD, but he couldn't pronounce "Carl" for shit

"Listen, Corr-al..."
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Because no one would be afraid of a villain with a trailer park accent (Deliverance might be the exception).
View Quote

This. Americans now associate RP accent with snooty social class.

Revolutionary War?

Left wing writers?

Who knows. But Spartacus used UK actors for Romans, Brooklyn guys for slaves.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#38]
It’s quite simple

Can’t have black bad guys

Can’t have muslim bad guys

Can’t have Mexican bad guys

White males are the bad guys now, but you don’t want American  bad guys so guess what
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The accent gives credibility. Better villains, better infomercial salesmen, better debaters, whatever.
View Quote

I think youre on to something. A few years ago,  a lot of commercials on tv/ radio  in the SE US had British accents,
especially car commercials. Annoying as hell.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It was explained to me once that the British studios also select their movie actors primarily for their proven acting ability after they've gotten experience in plays, whereas the American studios select movie actors primarily based on how photogenic they are.

Americans don't give a shit if the good guy is played by a great actor, but they really eat it up if the bad guy is played by a great actor.
View Quote

Again, in general, British and American actors are also trained differently.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#41]
You do realize that British produced TV shows and Movies often use actors with an American accent for the bad guys.
Amazing how that works.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:13:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think that most people would like the way that the Roman's actually sounded. They pronounced Vs like Ws so  vene, vidi, vici is spoken in Latin as When-eh, Wee dee, Wee Kee.

What Latin Sounded Like - and how we know

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Hans Gruber wasn't British.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You do realize that British produced TV shows and Movies often use actors with an American accent for the bad guys.
Amazing how that works.

View Quote

after what we did for them in WWII??

@Agent_Funky explain yourself!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazing how that works.

I'm not sure I agree with what KA3B says.  

Most of our "baddies" are either cockney wide boys, or are continental European or some other form of Johnny Foreigner.  Can't think of many instances where Americans are portrayed as the bad guys.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Most of our "baddies" are either cockney wide boys, or are continental European or some other form of Johnny Foreigner.  Can't think of many instances where Americans are portrayed as the bad guys.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazing how that works.

well, I can think of one.

something about overpaid, oversexed, and over here...
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazing how that works.

That's just banter.  

We will always mercilessly take the piss out of our American cousins.  It's part of our "special relationship"

Can't honestly think of a UK TV show where the villain is American, though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Red coats.  They're coming to get you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#49]
red coats every where.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#50]
It is more of a transatlantic dialect rather than standard British

I would disagree with the idea that British actors are trained differently.  That was the case with the RSC crew (Stewart, Holm, Dench...) because they were classically trained from early on.  

More modern British actors have a much stronger Stanislavsky based (Meisner or Strasberg) training.  However, there is still an emphasis on language and speech which is why so many British and Australian actors are more flexible with their ability to play various nationalities.  American trained actors have less time and experience with dialect work due to fewer classical theatre training.

That's my perspective, based on my classical training here in the US and England (RSC).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top