Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/29/2021 8:38:20 PM EDT
I can’t see more than 4 inches away from my face.

Was getting my eye exam done recently and the doctor? Mentioned that if this was 400 years ago, I’d be lion food.

My contacts are like -9.

It brings up a good point. Why hasn’t evolution weeded this out?
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It probably would have if not for technology. Just needed another quarter of a million years.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
It allowed ugly people to fuck
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I read somewhere that the water-living ancestors of modern land animals had far better vision.  When they became land animals, their eyesight had to slowly adjust, and it's still not as good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Nearsightedness is a degenerative disease. I got well past reproductive age before it mattered.

Just my guess
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Glasses
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nearsightedness is a degenerative disease. I got well past reproductive age before it mattered.

Just my guess
View Quote

Mine started at about ten years old. I’m now into my thirties and it’s getting worse every year. Does it eventually stop? At what point do I become blind?
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Our ability to do fine, up close work. We were worth protecting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the doctor? Mentioned that if this was 400 years ago, I’d be lion food.
View Quote

If I had an eye doctor who didn't know the history of eye glasses or the geographical location of lions in the world, I would find an eye doctor who had an education.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m going to guess it used to be a lot rarer back when camouflaged predators actively weeded out that mutation. But now, that gene left unabated, half of us are blind af.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Because Fauci wasn't in charge of that derpartment.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#11]
When humanity was really being pressured in the Darwinian sense average life expectancy was 45 or so. Most people don't really have any degenerative effects on vision before that.

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When humanity was really being pressured in the Darwinian sense average life expectancy was 45 or so. Most people don't really have any degenerative effects on vision before that.

View Quote

Mine started about 10 years old. As did my mom’s
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I still get boners.

Sometimes when I don't want them.

Hope that helps OP.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Communication.
"Hey blindy, you see that thing over there?"
-"No"
"Well, it's a lion, be careful!"
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Eyesight is overrated.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump. I’m serious my eyesight is terrible. Contacts are a -9 and getting worse in my 30s. Why is this still a thing in 2021?

At what point will it level off, if ever? What happens if it gets to -20?
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I still get boners.

Sometimes when I don't want them.

Hope that helps OP.
View Quote

I lost.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bump. I’m serious my eyesight is terrible. Contacts are a -9 and getting worse in my 30s. Why is this still a thing in 2021?

View Quote

Your vision becomes inverted and starts to get better like Benjamin button disease
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you have children OP?
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do you have children OP?
View Quote

No and I do not want them. Insert evolution joke here I guess, but it has nothing to do with my eyesight
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just my guess
View Quote

Good point.

I didn't "need" glasses until I was about 20 or so. I started getting nearsighted at 16, but I managed fine for the most part without glasses until I went to college.

In evolutionary history, I would have likely reproduced before my eyesight became an issue.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Was getting my eye exam done recently and the doctor? Mentioned that if this was 400 years ago, I’d be lion food.

My contacts are like -9.

View Quote

Because nothing does anything like the equivalent of changing from a fish into a cat, or even a cat into a dog.

Mutations stick within boundaries.

Besides that, even if you buy the irrational evolution story, it (evolution) is definitionally directionless. It doesn't give a rip about external conditions. For all you know, it never muates the eyeballs, and even if it did, what forces it to have to eliminate nearsightedness?
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I recently had cataract surgery in both eyes to replace lenses.  Developed aggressive subcapsular cataracts in my mid 50s, 6 months later was in tough shape.  What was 20/50 now a little better than 20/20.

Keep thinking if I had been born 100 years ago I would be done.

Don't know what surgical options you have OP.  Go find out.  Life changing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Because nothing does anything like the equivalent of changing from a fish into a cat, or even a cat into a dog.

Besides that, even if you buy the irrational evolution story, it (evolution) is definitionally directionless. It doesn't give a rip about external conditions. For all you know, it never muates the eyeballs, and even if it did, what forces it to have to eliminate nearsightedness?
View Quote

I’m really struggling to understand the first part of your post. My thought is, if people can’t see they die. Over thousands of years? (Idk how long humans have existed) those with this issue wouldn’t have been able to reproduce and therefore it would have died out
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#26]
The human race is hard to peg in the Darwin sense of “survival of the fittest.”  As a general rule, our human nature to take care of people and also our monogamous tendencies doesn’t allow a culling of the herd or 1-2 dominant traits/breeding pairs to take over.  In nature, if you are a nearsighted deer, you probably don’t live to pass on your genes.  As a human, just because you nearsighted we as a society want to take care of you and you will eventually have a chance to breed since we tend to pair off.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#27]
the same reason there are still stupid people. not enough time, and countering factors such as technologies (glasses, eye surgery) that keep them alive even though they're blind or stupid. if we didnt form societies and work together it'd be a pretty big problem. however you can still be very productive with bad vision doing something like sweeping the cave, sharpening a knife, or teaching children.

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Because humans take care of each other. The oldest skull ever discovered of an elderly hominid is over 2 million years old, he was very old and didn't even have teeth anymore for years but still lived long enough to be taken care of by other members of his tribe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/06/science/some-see-roots-of-compassion-in-a-toothless-fossil-skull.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#29]
i think us blind mole people evolved to see things up close better (which i can, anyways, up close shit is super duper clear) so we could invent science and teh modern world. we are heroes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#30]
IDK.  I am very nearsighted.  Not too worried about it.  Our intelligence overcame it IMO.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I’m really struggling to understand the first part of your post. My thought is, if people can’t see they die. Over thousands of years? (Idk how long humans have existed) those with this issue wouldn’t have been able to reproduce and therefore it would have died out
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mutations that change one form of life into another = mechanism of / a definition of evolution.

If you haven't noticed, even completely ignoring the very real issues with observation ... we have never observed one form of life changing into another. The fact that we can't make a hard and fast decision on what constitutes why we call, say, a cat a cat and differntiate it from a dog ... only complicates this.

TL:DR  - there's no reason to believe the story of evolution is true, and even if it was, the way it's told means there's no reason to expect it to ever get rid of any particular problem. It's quite literally just random chance.

-----

That aside?  I could have sworn we got more farsighted as we got older? Maybe I got that backwards, but I usually see people wishing their arms were longer and longer as they got older. If that's true (ask your eye doc) ... some chance maybe you start getting more farsighted as you age, counter-acting your nearsighted problem?

In human terms, eyeballs are pretty complex organs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Because the ones with it sent out the ones with lower IQ to scout ahead and get ambushed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Evolution....

In this thread we learn about eye anatomy-and who doesn’t understand what it actually takes to see...at all.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Because near sighted people developed extraordinary other senses and skills to overcome these problems, as well as generally having much larger penises.
Could somebody let me know if I misspelled anything?
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Probably wasn't a prevalent back in the day, before AC and indoors all the time, and screens and reading.

By the time you're vision starts crapping out when you're older, you've already bred and help insure the success of your next generation.  Old age vision is not a trait that prevent procreation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just my guess
View Quote

No, presbyopia, the need for reading glasses, is age-related.  “Near-sighted” means different things to lay people.  For some it means “can’t see near,” and others “can only see near.”

Myopia, -9 diopters in an eye, usually starts in childhood and you can only see stuff near you.

Presbyopia or “old age eyes” occurs when your lens loses its ability to focus near, so bifocal become the norm for us old, myopic “near sighted” folks.

Why hasn’t evolution removed Sickle Cell, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc, etc, etc…

They’re part of the human condition.

ETA:  what i want to know is why a Braille menu is required on a drive through restaurant.  ADA be damned—should a blind person needing Braille be holding up the line?  Shouldn’t they call in their order?  Drive-through IS Fast Food!
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can't see more than 4 inches away from my face.

Was getting my eye exam done recently and the doctor? Mentioned that if this was 400 years ago, I'd be lion food.

My contacts are like -9.

It brings up a good point. Why hasn't evolution weeded this out?
View Quote
Evolution only weeds out genetic problems, not issues caused by environmental factors.

Spending too much time in doors and not getting enough sunlight as a child is one of those factors.

Are Humans Slowly Losing Their Eyesight? | The Nearsightedness Epidemic

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Stevejg1 thread
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Maybe it is a more modern problem caused by staring at close objects too much.

Maybe it is a disease (like diabetes) caused by diet.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Terrible is relative OP.

Mine is -17.25.

We are not solo creatures, but social ones. We have always had others that could help us along the way.

Only reason I could think.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Mine started at about ten years old. I’m now into my thirties and it’s getting worse every year. Does it eventually stop? At what point do I become blind?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my guess

Son, you sound like the kind of guy...
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Right: 8
Left: 8.5

I often wonder what would it be like if society broke down.

Try to make remaining contacts last, or just put on glasses
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#43]
We evolved to spread genetic material. Evolution doesn't  give a fuck what happens when you're thirty.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Son, you sound like the kind of guy...
View Quote

Dude for all my faults I can’t control my failing eyes
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Terrible is relative OP.

Mine is -17.25.

We are not solo creatures, but social ones. We have always had others that could help us along the way.

Only reason I could think.
View Quote

-17.25??? Holy crap. When did it start, how long has it been stable? Can you get contacts that strong?
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My contacts are like -9.

View Quote

Those who were nearsighted found ways to cope with it - and didn't have an offsetting ability/skill - were eliminated.

Why do you think librarians/engineers/STEM types have a higher density of physical deficiencies like near sightedness?

Nearsighted people with intelligence were favorably selected for reproduction while nearsighted people without intelligence were not. So if its the year 1500 and the Catholic church wants a big building built, the nearsighted person can design it, but the nearsighted person won't survive the Catholic church's (king's) wars in the middle east.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

It varies from person to person, but usually things worsens as you get older, but there are exceptions. There are exercises that can potentially slow it, but do you really have an hour every day to dedicate to looking at different things at different distances over and over to strengthen your eyes?  

I ordered lenses for a -12, +2, ~60, +2.5, -7 prism down -6 prism out (with a similar for the other eye) a few weeks ago. It’s amazing what you can correct these days.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We evolved to spread genetic material. Evolution doesn't  give a fuck what happens when you're thirty.
View Quote

Age is a factor, but a lot of people get nearsighted before turning ten years old, so its not always the factor.

If you would get nearsighted only after age 40 it didn't matter 100+ years ago but if you got nearsighted between ages 6-10 100+ years ago you had to have some abilities/intelligence that offset that physical deficiency. If you didn't your chances of reproduction were less.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Just my guess
View Quote

I've been nearsighted for over 40 years.
I started wearing glasses at 13.
I still have the same prescription I had 40 years ago.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top