Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/23/2021 1:56:51 PM EDT
I thought people were much tougher back then, yet this sparked so much outrage he almost got fired over it.

Patton (4/5) Movie CLIP - I Won't Have Cowards in My Army (1970) HD
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#1]
He actually did it not once, but twice in separate locations to different soldiers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Same reason people don't like Trump. Hes a big meanie that knows how to get shit done. Sometimes their methods hurt someones feelings.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish we could still slap soldiers. Much faster than a counseling statement.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Striking an enlisted man was unseemly and ungentlemanly behavior, especially for General Officer's.

He was a friend of my Great-Uncle's, and even Clarence thought he was an asshole.

An effective asshole, but still an asshole.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The difference between a fighter and a politician.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Striking an enlisted man was unseemly and ungentlemanly behavior, especially for General Officer's.

He was a friend of my Great-Uncle's, and even Clarence thought he was an asshole.

View Quote

Yeah, hitting junior enlisted wasn't ever an approved thing as far as I know in modern times, even as NCO business. No doubt it happened and was probably often well deserved though.

My grandad joined the Marines during the start of WWII and he never saw a DI hit a recruit even at basic training. Plenty of hazing that would get people in trouble today, but no hitting. He did get caught with his hands in his pockets towards the beginning and was made to fill his pants pockets with sand and sew them shut for the remainder of the training though
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#7]
My grandfather served under him in ww2. He thought he was a huge asshole,  but had huge respect for him and would fight for him any day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Would it have been ok  for an enlisted man to slap him? No? Then he should have kept his fucking hands to himself.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#9]
He equated PTSD with cowardice. Kind of stupid of him.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]
The common civilian is shocked by the realitys of war and doesn't have the smarts to accept them
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My grandfather served under him in ww2. He thought he was a huge asshole,  but had huge respect for him and would fight for him any day.
View Quote

My great-uncle fought under him, as well. He also said he was a raging asshole and that he couldn't care less about his troops' well-being, but he was a good tactician.

Poor guy had PTSD in the worst way up until the day he died, some 60 years later.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Because he was an ardent anti Communist and even then the commies were widespread throughout the media and intellectual classes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#13]
The American public has always held a dim view of physical abuse of soldiers, especially conscripts, relative to their European counterparts. I recall reading a biography of Prussian general Von Moltke where he talked about getting punched in the face for moving at the position of attention...as a 12 year old boy at military boarding school in Denmark. That stuff just doesn't fly with the American public, never has, never will.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#14]
The left wing media hated Patton and ridiculed him for believing that Russia was the greater threat. The Cold War proved that Patton was right in that regard.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#15]
You really ask that question?
Officers dont hit enlisted.
What the fuck do you think this is 3rd world wipe your ass with your left hand army.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The common civilian is shocked by the realitys of war and doesn't have the smarts to accept them
View Quote

Yeah that's why our military during the height of the 20th century was so cowardly and useless compared to places like Russia, China and North Korea that beat their stupid and poorly disciplined conscripts.

Fuck trying to have professional soldiers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Bulkhead counseling is frowning upon.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#18]
It was completely inappropriate of him to do that.  It's literally the definition of physical abuse.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Patton couldn't tell a brain injury from an amputation.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It was completely inappropriate of him to do that.  It's literally the definition of physical abuse.
View Quote

He also pulled out his gun in the second incident.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Also once the guy is done he is fucking done. If you werent an arrogant upper management cunt you would realize this. Patton was too much of a blow hard and a politician to understand that.
Went to school with his granddaughter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

>when your old high school football coach would literally punch you
people really are a bunch of faggots now
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Medical staff made a stink and word got back to the U.S. where citizen outrage ("that could have been my son") and letters to Congress.  

Marshall knew how to handle Patton and advised Ike.  Patton was the best ground gainer but had to be kept under reins.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#24]
He was lucky he was so damn good.

Otherwise he would have lost his commission for sure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I thought people were much tougher back then, yet this sparked so much outrage he almost got fired over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrtS2_TfbeY
View Quote

What do you think would have happened if some Enlisted dude had slapped Patton?

It's not a very manly thing to take a swing at someone who is literally unable to fight back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#27]
General George S. Patton, The Biscari Massacre and The Slapping Incidents
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Pussy politicians are why he got in trouble just like every other warrior who does something they don't like.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Would it have been ok  for an enlisted man to slap him? No? Then he should have kept his fucking hands to himself.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Fake news
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, about that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My grandfather was a cook in the Army.  He was good friends with Bradley's driver and got to know Patton's driver well.   My grandfather swore until the day he died that Patton's driver killed him.   He said he hated Patton so much he would have purposely crashed even if it meant they both died.

Patton was hated by many men for his chickenshit rules.   There is a story about a soldier who had his throat cut and could not wear a tie until the would healed.  Patton ordered him to have a tie next time he saw him, but instead the guy got a note from a General/Doctor that he was excused from wearing a tie.
View Quote

He was a tactical genius but he might as well have been an Orc
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are either missing the context or are an idiot.

Also nice screen name, should have added 88 to it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Because even in the Civil and WW1, we understood what shell shock was and what it could do. Maybe not as well as today but for a Military ''leader'' to strike a man because of it showed contempt and if he had gotten a bullet thru his guts due to it, I'd bet few Soldiers would have shed more then a VERY dry and dusty tear.

He was never as good a leader as he thought he was. He WAS willing to shed as much blood of the Soldiers under him as he had to to do what he wanted to do. A lot wasn't needed though, it was an ego thing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#36]
If any of the medical personnel had physically intervened during those incidents, the most Patton could have done to them would be to have them transferred out of his Division.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can tolerate,  and even admire, an effective asshole.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#38]
He was regarded as a political danger to military and civilian superiors. I am one degree separated from the incident as I knew the doc who diagnosed the sick soldier.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would it have been ok  for an enlisted man to give orders to him? No? Then he should have kept his fucking opinions to himself.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My grandfather was a cook in the Army.  He was good friends with Bradley's driver and got to know Patton's driver well.   My grandfather swore until the day he died that Patton's driver killed him.   He said he hated Patton so much he would have purposely crashed even if it meant they both died.

Patton was hated by many men for his chickenshit rules.   There is a story about a soldier who had his throat cut and could not wear a tie until the would healed.  Patton ordered him to have a tie next time he saw him, but instead the guy got a note from a General/Doctor that he was excused from wearing a tie.
View Quote

I'm sure Patton's driver could have transferred out of HQ to a Line unit if he wanted to.
That note was called a "profile" when I was a medic. They aren't hard to get.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Striking a man that is incapable of hitting back is cowardly and abusive.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part of being effective is being able to stay in the fight.  In no way does striking an enlisted man while he’s in a hospital bed play well with the press that was there with him.

If he really thought the troop shouldn’t have been in the hospital then he should have had a conversation with the doctor that could order him out of the hospital and back to the line.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#43]
We have a professional military. Professionals don't strike subordinates out of a fit of anger. I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for that behavior. I don't give 2 shits what you think you know about how the military is supposed to be if you think fear is a better motivator for troops rather than respect. You don't. Good leaders don't motivate those under them with fear. They inspire respect.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, hitting junior enlisted wasn't ever an approved thing as far as I know in modern times, even as NCO business. No doubt it happened and was probably often well deserved though.

My grandad joined the Marines during the start of WWII and he never saw a DI hit a recruit even at basic training. Plenty of hazing that would get people in trouble today, but no hitting. He did get caught with his hands in his pockets towards the beginning and was made to fill his pants pockets with sand and sew them shut for the remainder of the training though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I absorbed a couple blows in the Corps back in 04. Great learning opportunity for me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The soldiers that he slapped were suffering from PTSD, he thought that they were trying to get out of combat.

Slapping them was the wrong way to handle the situation if he thought that they were trying to get out of duty.

He's lucky that we needed him to help win the war or else he could've landed in bigger trouble than he did. I can only imagine the ass chewing that a general gets!
View Quote

The soldier didnt have combat exhaustion or ptsd or shellshock.

He had malaria and a 103F fever.

Herb Songer was the doc who dx’d the soldier.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What the fuck do you think this is 3rd world wipe your ass with your left hand army.
View Quote

The democrats would love the sodomy doe!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Concise and well-said.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Is it OK for a senior to assault an subordinate?  What if that same subordinate fights back and wins?

I heard of blanket parties and attitude checks where a bunch of seniors jump on one malcontent of course but I see that as a zero sum game.  He's only operating out of fear, not thinking; it's a good for slave work and conscripts.  Some dummies need a job like ammo bearer that you can't screw up; until they figure it out.

I'd rather go to war at 2/3 strength but with volunteers and studs than 100% and with a percentage of those with unresolved liabilities.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#49]
My dad was an aid to patton he said he was always good to him but he did not like men that where not willing to fight to win
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Is it OK for a senior to assault an subordinate?  What if that same subordinate fights back and wins?
View Quote

Yeah....I wonder what would have happened to the Pvt. if he immediately open hand slapped Patton back?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top