Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/6/2018 11:41:31 AM EDT
Just finished putting a dash cam in a vehicle. You’d think with as many people running dash cams vehicle manufacturers could put a usb power outlet in the rear view mirror!!! It’s already got tons of wires running to it for everything else. I’m sure I could cut into those and grab a power wire but I really don’t want to hack it.

On another side note, the power cables they send with dash cams are short in every vehicle we own and I have to end up buying an extension. What the fuck

Ford, GM, dodge, etc I’m available for hire to help you bring your vehicles into this century tech
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Illegal to have anything dangling from the mirror. This would promote dangling things from the mirror.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
No electronics to the rear view mirror in my 2016 Frontier.

But I will be first to say capital idea there.

Edited to add, why not just mount a camera on the backside of the mirror and be done with it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Or how about offering a dash cam as a vehicle option?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe your wife could help you put one in?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#5]
My mopars already have power to that mirror, shouldn't be that hard to USB there.

Id rather see them in the back seats. They are slowly putting them elsewhere, just not fast enough
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Dang, that is actually a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#7]
You can run the cable up the side of the A-piller, under the rubber molding (just pull it back and tuck the wire in there) and then mount the camera to the visor, for a clean install.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just finished putting a dash cam in a vehicle. You’d think with as many people running dash cams vehicle manufacturers could put a usb power outlet in the rear view mirror!!! It’s already got tons of wires running to it for everything else. I’m sure I could cut into those and grab a power wire but I really don’t want to hack it.

On another side note, the power cables they send with dash cams are short in every vehicle we own and I have to end up buying an extension. What the fuck

Ford, GM, dodge, etc I’m available for hire to help you bring your vehicles into this century tech
View Quote

Blocking your view with an object hanging from the rear-view mirror (obstructing the driver's view) is a traffic violation in some states.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#9]
It's possible they don't due to some laws in some areas stating it's illegal to "hang" items from the rearview mirror that potentially blocks vision. Now we both know a cord wouldn't do so but that doesn't stop a potential overzealous individual from still harassing another for doing so.

Then the car owner would screetch at GM/Ford/Toyota/etc for "making" them "break the law".
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This
They offer every other goddamned thing.
Or put the USB port in the headliner near the windshield
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Because honestly how many people run a dashcam? Not very many at all. I'd bet in a full parking lot at the grocery store you might find 2......
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can run the cable up the side of the A-piller, under the rubber molding (just pull it back and tuck the wire in there) and then mount the camera to the visor, for a clean install.
View Quote
That's what I did for a satellite radio.  Worked pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just curious, what brand and model dash cam do you use?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I always mount the camper right under the rear view mirror mount

I run the cable up the a pillar, tuck it into the headliner, the. Run it in the factory plastic piece running down the windshield to the rear view mirror (the piece with the factory wiring inside)

It looks clean but it would be so much easier with a usb outlet there
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#16]
ITT we see the mindset of some folks.

Subset A:  Here's how you fix that.

Subset B:  THINGS UP THERE ARE AGAINST THE LAW!!!

Which subset actually serves humanity best?

Fuck me running.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Illegal to have anything dangling from the mirror. This would promote dangling things from the mirror.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I was thinking about this te other day, I just need to hardwire in an outlet in the area above my overhead "console".  This should be standard, a multiport usb hub in a cubby to power cameras, phones, gps, or whatnot that can be stuck to the windshield.

I need to see what 12v source I can tap into, and I'll have it done soon enough.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I agree, a power source near the mirror would be nice.

In the meantime get yourself a dashcam install kit.  That's what I got for mine and it made installing it easy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Because honestly how many people run a dashcam? Not very many at all. I'd bet in a full parking lot at the grocery store you might find 2......
View Quote
Weird

Everyone I know runs them
For ~$50 and up there’s no reason not to

I’ve had countless crashes I’ve responded to that I would have had to put “unknown who is at fault” if it wasn’t for the dash cam to prove a story
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!  Plus probably never thought of it either.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Fuck me running.
View Quote
LOL.
If you allow it, some people would load their mirrors up with as much stuff as it would support.
They already hang big old handicapped parking tags, Mardi Gras beads , etc up there.
That stuff can significantly cut into the drivers field of view.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#23]
You should probably hook your usb up to 12v and report back what happens
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just curious, what brand and model dash cam do you use?
View Quote
Anker Roav A1

$55 on amazon. Pleased with the results for the price
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
It’s illegal to exceed the speed limit, yet my vehicles are capable of doing just that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It’s illegal to exceed the speed limit, yet my vehicles are capable of doing just that.
View Quote
And yet, speed is a factor in so MANY crashes, which is why there are laws on the books to address that problem when it contributes to an incident.....and to prevent an incident from occurring....
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think it's about to be mandatory on all new vehicles.
View Quote
I wish that and blind spot monitoring where standard on all new cars, I don't think it should be a law but it would be a damn nice thing to have two cameras mounted as standard
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Blocking your view with an object hanging from the rear-view mirror (obstructing the driver's view) is a traffic violation in some states.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

orrr..... put it behind the mirror where you cant see it at all....
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty sure Toyota offers it on some of their TRD trim levels.  GoPro IIRC
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And yet, speed is a factor in so MANY crashes, which is why there are laws on the books to address that problem when it contributes to an incident.....and to prevent an incident from occurring....
View Quote
You mean like the laws that already exist that allow you to write tickets for having an obstructed field of view because someone hangs a bunch of stuff from their rear view mirror?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Fuck me running.
View Quote

I am with you.  Avoid the Johnny do gooders at all cost.....
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Legal compliance and liability.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Lot of cans in here that need to be picked up.

A standardized powered base, either behind the rear-view or directly on the dash - something that locks in place with contact pads/springs, rather than a socket - would solve this problem and keep the ED-209s of the world happy, but I doubt any manufacturer is going to incorporate one then start pushing it out to their suppliers.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I love the people with a big ass phone, mounted directly in front of the steering wheel, running google maps or, better yet, watching netflix.
Mounting a camera up high near the mirror is fine. Either high or low in center of windshield I can see, not directly in front of steering wheel.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Pretty sure Toyota offers it on some of their TRD trim levels.  GoPro IIRC
View Quote
GoPro mount on windshield is standard on my TRDSport, I believe the dealer also sells the gopro but a dedicated dashcam is better and cheaper for this purpose.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#37]
IIRC all new vehicles have to have backup cameras.  And plenty of midrange and higher-end vehicles have additional cameras.  But I've not seen any cars with cameras that would record automatically when the car is turned on, and it mystifies me why this is not an option, or even standard.  It can't be that difficult to throw an SD card slot in the vehicle somewhere and have it record.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck me running.

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Certainly would have made my life easier, but I managed a very clean install in my Wrangler in a couple of hours. Of course it's a Wrangler, so they tend to disassemble more easily.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just finished putting a dash cam in a vehicle. You'd think with as many people running dash cams vehicle manufacturers could put a usb power outlet in the rear view mirror!!! It's already got tons of wires running to it for everything else. I'm sure I could cut into those and grab a power wire but I really don't want to hack it.

Ford, GM, dodge, etc I'm available for hire to help you bring your vehicles into this century tech

You would think a "cop" would know that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pfft!  Hardly a good example. Everything is illegal in NY
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Iknowright?

My Ferd has cameras all over it. How hard would it have been to integrate a digital recorder?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Fuck me running.
View Quote
WTF does that even mean?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
This will start to be common soon. Lots of cars now have front cameras as part of driver assist functions. It is easy to just offer recording in the infotainment system. Some already ar starting to do this.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
My Fusion has an OEM camera by the mirror for a bunch of other BS but not to record video.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Followed by "citizen, you have disabled your recording device......"
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
IIRC all new vehicles have to have backup cameras.  And plenty of midrange and higher-end vehicles have additional cameras.  But I've not seen any cars with cameras that would record automatically when the car is turned on, and it mystifies me why this is not an option, or even standard.  It can't be that difficult to throw an SD card slot in the vehicle somewhere and have it record.
View Quote
It's not a safety device, in that it won't help you avoid an accident (or anything else).  As such, the manufacturer has absolutely no reason to install it, nor do the various safety bureaus have a reason to consider it.  Insurance companies and law enforcement, on the other hand...  People are paranoid about GPS navigation systems tracking them, but you'd be ok with a factory installed recording device that automatically records your driving?

Mike
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I see some idiots driving around with miniature native American "Dream Catchers" hanging from their rearview mirror (...and blocking half their front windshield view).

I can't help but wonder why they would do something so stupid unless they have a habit of sleeping at the wheel.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#49]

the future is roofmounted
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread makes me want to hang wind chimes from my side mirrors
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top