Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Because the microwave is faster
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Of course you do. We all love pork ribs.

Beef ribs are better.
View Quote

Wrong..

Only Texas can screw up BBQ and Chili...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can only find em at specialty shops. They're around 20 per lb.
View Quote

Costco and Walmart are around 5 bucks a pound here. Walmart’s are choice angus beef too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Because I'm roasting venison.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
They won't stay lit, man.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Not ready yet...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll take some boneless ribs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Costco and Walmart are around 5 bucks a pound here. Walmart’s are choice angus beef too.
View Quote

You have to be very careful- a lot of ribs are cut so close to the bone that there’s no meat on them.

I was just telling a friend of mine that you have to be prepared to walk away if the ribs look like shit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
My ribs are resting now

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What temp? ETA for sous vide,
View Quote

I did some at 138 for 48hrs and the seared them on a Webber kettle after. They were fantastic.

You could go a few degrees hotter if you want.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I did some at 138 for 48hrs and the seared them on a Webber kettle after. They were fantastic.

You could go a few degrees hotter if you want.
View Quote

Gonna try that but I may add a 2-3hr smoke prior to sous vide
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#13]

I'll  take one, Sir.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Gonna try that but I may add a 2-3hr smoke prior to sous vide
View Quote

You really don't need to. The sear gives it a very nice smoke flavor.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Fork tender, but not falling apart, nice (pecan) smoke.

A good effort.  So full right now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69531/82B85E89-FE80-457C-A65E-6CD39BD9E608-1795442.jpg

Fork tender, but not falling apart, nice (pecan) smoke.

A good effort.  So full right now.
View Quote

I've tried oak, cherry, apple and for me I think pecan smoke works best on the dino ribs.

Those look amazing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've tried oak, cherry, apple and for me I think pecan smoke works best on the dino ribs.

Those look amazing.
View Quote

Fruit/berry woods for beef is a waste, IMO.

Pecan and oak are where it’s at.

Mesquite and pecan also excellent.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Short ribs are great.

But if I’m buying them. I’m braising them.

View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve always done short ribs the same as brisket.
Smoke low and slow.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Nothing better than boiled ribs! Boil'em for 5 days then sear them on the grill!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Stew Vid the hell out of them!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What temp? ETA for sous vide,
View Quote

I've done them many different ways, but prefer the texture @ 165 for 28 hours.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone care to share their BEEF rib rub ingredients?  Pork is for bacon.

I absolutely hate removing the silver skin.  

It's been a few years so I forget my last concoction.  I'm thinking about just trying kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, and garlic powder next time.  I think I used sugar last time along with paprika and chili powder.  Or maybe that was brisket rub?    

For wood I've always used hickory and I keep adding wood then entire time in the master built electric smoker.  Oak sounds like a good option or maybe pecan, I just don't have any.  Fruit woods on beef sound awful.  I don't even like using fruit woods on chicken or fish.  

Those of you boiling your ribs or sous vide... wtf.  If you don't smell like a forest fire a few days after eating smoked ribs, you're doing it wrong.  

I've never wrapped or rested or whatever complicated people do.  I smoke them all the way through, then eat them while standing.  They don't even make it to a plate.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Because no store has them here.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Because no store has them here.  
View Quote

It's only been recently that they've been available in grocery stores here as well. Used to only those miserable plate ribs.

$20 vac pack of the dino ribs, 4 ribs, is good for 4 people.

Perhaps you need to storm your local whatever and demand short ribs be stocked.

No violence, of course.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's been a few years so I forget my last concoction.  I'm thinking about just trying kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, and garlic powder next time.  I think I used sugar last time along with paprika and chili powder.  Or maybe that was brisket rub?    

For wood I've always used hickory and I keep adding wood then entire time in the master built electric smoker.  Oak sounds like a good option or maybe pecan, I just don't have any.  Fruit woods on beef sound awful.  I don't even like using fruit woods on chicken or fish.  

Those of you boiling your ribs or sous vide... wtf.  If you don't smell like a forest fire a few days after eating smoked ribs, you're doing it wrong.  

I've never wrapped or rested or whatever complicated people do.  I smoke them all the way through, then eat them while standing.  They don't even make it to a plate.
View Quote

Sunday’s rub:

Salt
Pepper
(A little bit of pork rub that was in the bottom of my rub container)

Keep the damned sugar away from your damned beef.

Don’t overcomplicate it. Beef rubs... more simpler, more better.,,,
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm at work.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sunday's rub:

Salt
Pepper

Don't overcomplicate it. Beef rubs... more simpler, more better.,,,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sunday's rub:

Salt
Pepper

Don't overcomplicate it. Beef rubs... more simpler, more better.,,,

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Because properly smoke brisket or pork spare ribs are 87x better.

Beef ribs are good when you want to change it up but that's about it.
View Quote

False.  See avatar picture.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#30]
It's four above and my smoker is packed away for the year. Oven baked is the best I can do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#31]
So whats the secret to good beef ribs?    I smoke brisket and well just about every thing else but have not tried any beef ribs.   Do you just do them like pork rids?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So whats the secret to good beef ribs?    I smoke brisket and well just about every thing else but have not tried any beef ribs.   Do you just do them like pork rids?
View Quote

The secret? Do them exactly the same way you’d do brisket, except they come up to temp quicker.  Do NOT treat them like pork ribs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can get fancy with rubs and prep and stuff, but start simple first.

Trim the top fat, for the following reasons.  1) There's plenty of intermuscular fat.  2) There's a silver skin membrane just under it, that won't fully render. 3) It will allow the rub to meet the meat more fully.  4) You don't need it as an insulator, because you will be cooking it bone side to the heat.

Keep the back skin on.  Sometimes I'll score it so it doesn't distort the meat as it shrinks, but that's not really necessary.  

Salt-pepper-garlic rub.  You can put it on the night before, or a few hours before.  Mustard makes a good binder, as does worcestershire sauce.  

Cook at about 250 degrees.  Keep the bones pointed towards the fire, as they will act as an insulator.  

Personally, I use apple wood, as it's the most readily available for me.  It's also more difficult to over smoke with it.  If you have access to quality oak, use it for the first 2-3 hours of the cook.

Spray with your favorite spray (I like diluted apple juice & vinegar), about once an hour.  

Your choice to wrap when you hit the stall.  It really depends on you and the end effect you want.  Crisper bark?  Keep it unwrapped and manage the temp lower.  Moister & more tender?  Wrap it earlier in the stall to encourage braising.

Check for doneness by tenderness.  The meat will tighten and loosen several times during the cook, but it's safe to start checking once the meat temp is north of 185.

Last but not least.  LET THE MEAT REST.  

Wrap loosely in foil or butcher paper, wrap that in some old towels, and drop them into a cooler for at least half an hour.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Surely you don't smoke them as long a you do a brisket.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Of course not, but you pull the ribs at the same internal temperature.
Do them exactly the same way you’d do brisket, except they come up to temp quicker.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top