BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had more bad rounds out of a single box of bulk 22 than all my factory centerfire rounds combined. Other than that, I wouldn't say no.
View Quote
With a revolver? I have not shot my 617 much but never had issues. My MKIII has plenty of fail to extract or double feeds but when I put my suppressor on it runs like a damn sewing machine, even on bulk box. That tells me that there is not a problem with the primers, just quality control issue with amount of powder or what have you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Agree

I was thinking one of them new Rugers in 327 federal would be super handy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am awaiting my new toy.... a 1969/1970 vintage M31-1 in .32 S&W long.  It’s for enjoyment and giggles but a hard cast 100 grain WFP at a little over book maximums (top break revolver load level reasons)  would be better than a .22 lr.  

I have a 63 kit gun and this will be another six shot j frame 4”

Besides people a coyote is likely the largest nuisance expected.  Black bears here run the other way.   I have had a black bear visit my home once in 9 years.

Agree

I was thinking one of them new Rugers in 327 federal would be super handy.

I have been thinking about one.  Also a lever gun.   Not a huge Henry fan and I read a few places that 327 Henry’s don’t always feed nicely.   A Miroku Winchester model 92 clone in .327 would get my wallet out!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Same here. My Ruger LCRX 3" carries nicely all day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skeeter Skelton

I prefer .38s over 22s for trail use as well

I'm with Skeeter as well.
Same here. My Ruger LCRX 3" carries nicely all day.

What holster do you use? I have the 3" .22; I don't really plan on carrying it but it's odd to have a pistol without one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have tactical AR's for serious social work, but I guess it's hard to deny my inner Fudd.

When I'm out and about in the woods I carry a Ruger Stainless Single Six or 22/45 in .22 LR.

.22 LR works for everything here including methheads.

I have confidence in hitting anything I aim at out to 50 yards with either gun and use both to squirrel and rabbit hunt with.

When I am in town I carry something centerfire, but on the farm or in the woods give me a .22 every time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've had more bad rounds out of a single box of bulk 22 than all my factory centerfire rounds combined. Other than that, I wouldn't say no.
View Quote

Stop using Golden Bullets and that will improve tenfold.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Pfft you can solve the smallest or the most ardent problems with a belt fed
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What holster do you use? I have the 3" .22; I don't really plan on carrying it but it's odd to have a pistol without one.
View Quote
I'm a lefty so finding one was more difficult.
I bought one of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312039996697?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got this box of .22 toys all set up after getting the 4.5" SR22 and put on a Twin Tech threaded barrel, and finally got my suppressor stamp for the Silent-SR.  I've got a couple of other magazines I may do the Tandemkross 5+ round job to and add in there.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#9]
That baby Browning would hammerbite the fuck out of my hand.  I have a Llama and it leaves me bleeding.

NOBODY should have "a" .22.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#10]
While 22's are fun, I've had three grizzly encounters in the last ten years.  Think I'll stick with my 329PD.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
While 22's are fun, I've had three grizzly encounters in the last ten years.  Think I'll stick with my 329PD.
View Quote

That's like carrying two .22s, right?

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t blame you
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a soft spot for High Standard Sentinels.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
While I cherish my Single-Six, I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling carrying it in the land of the griz.
View Quote
I carried my MKII Target for nearly 20 years in the winter here, it served me extremely well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a soft spot for High Standard Sentinels.
View Quote

I like the Double Nine, personally.

Classic single action look with a swing out cylinder and double action trigger.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The article feels rehashed from similar articles I've read through the 80s and 90s. The concept of a .22 pistol as a trail gun is a poorly thought out concept that quickly falls apart once you venture outside a well maintained Connecticut city park. At no point in my backwoods travels while hunting and fly fishing around my beautiful state of North Carolina or my slightly less fetching neighboring southern states am I out of danger of attack from bears, methbillies, psycho killers, angry social justice warriors or rapists. In any of  those scenarios, a .22 pistol makes a very poor substitute for a 4" .357 magnum or at the bare minimum a SIG P365 type 9mm. Carrying a .22 pistol necessitates the carrying of a larger more powerful center-fire rifle to stand in for actual protection. So then where is the weight savings? A .22 makes a great target pistol and that's where it should stay, at the range.
View Quote
You completely underestimate the 22lr. 22lr is a remarkably capable and deadly round. Just stay away from bulk crap for anything besides target practice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#17]
S&W 642…in pants pocket. Good for outdoorsman and indoorsman…all your waking hours problem solver!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Ernest Hemingway loved the .22 as well...and carried a Colt Pre-Woodsman with him everywhere. Woods and city.

"Now standing in one corner of a boxing ring with a .22 caliber Colt automatic pistol, shooting a bullet weighing only 40 grains and with a striking energy of 51 foot pounds at 25 feet from the muzzle, I will guarantee to kill either Gene or Joe Louis before they can get to me from the opposite corner. This is the smallest caliber pistol cartridge made; but it is also one of the most accurate and easy to hit with, since the pistol has no recoil. I have killed many horses with it, cripples and bear baits, with a single shot, and what will kill a horse will kill a man. I have hit six dueling silhouettes in the head with it at regulation distance in five seconds. It was this type of pistol that Millen boys’ colleague, Abe Faber, did all his killings with. Yet this same pistol bullet fired at point blank range will not dent a grizzly’s skull, and to shoot a grizzly with a .22 caliber pistol would simply be one way of committing suicide.

Stanley Ketchell, who could beat several chimpanzees, died from a .22 bullet fired from a cheap Flobert rifle belonging to a hired man on a farm in the Ozarks. The rifle and the pistol are still the equalizer when one man is more of a man than another, and if that gorilla is really smart, he will not only keep away from the washroom of the Stork in the wine cellar in the St. Regis, he will get a permit to carry one and then drop around to Abercrombie and Fitch and buy himself a .22 caliber Colt automatic pistol, Woodsman model, with a five-inch barrel and a box of shells. I advise him to get lubricated hollow points to avoid jams and to ensure a nice expansion on the bullet. He might even get several boxes and practice a little."
View Quote

I actually have one that's only a few serial numbers away from the one he carried, made in 1919.

With fly rod, knife and handgun. Ernest Hemingway in Michigan around 1920, perhaps on the camping trip with his fellow WWI veterans. The shoulder rig holds what is likely his first .22-caliber Colt Automatic Pistol, Serial No. 12072—made in 1919 and then found and lost again in Kenya 80 years later. John F. Kennedy Library

All that being said, I prefer my Sig P365X nowadays. Lots of 9mm in a small package.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Around my in-laws property, I keep a G19.5 on my hip and carry a 10/22, FIL carries a Rossi RS22
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you carry that rifle with you all the time?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely false. The most useful firearm on our farm is a Ruger American bolt gun in .17hmr

It does everything. 22lr can do but better. I can't think of a single situation where I thought man I really wish I had a .22lr pistol instead.

G19 or WCP-320 on my hip always. The .17 hmr rides in the tractor in a ram mount, in the side by side or the truck. Whichever is currently being used on the property. Gotta keep the woodchucks at bay especially this time of year so nothing winds up with a broken leg. Excluding recreational shooting that little rifle is easily used 10x for every 1 round of something else.

I'd love something like a browning buckmark supressor ready in .17 hmr tho.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

G19 or WCP-320 on my hip always. The .17 hmr rides in the tractor in a ram mount, in the side by side or the truck. Whichever is currently being used on the property. Gotta keep the woodchucks at bay especially this time of year so nothing winds up with a broken leg. Excluding recreational shooting that little rifle is easily used 10x for every 1 round of something else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely false. The most useful firearm on our farm is a Ruger American bolt gun in .17hmr

It does everything. 22lr can do but better. I can't think of a single situation where I thought man I really wish I had a .22lr pistol instead.

Do they make a Buckmark in magnum?

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ernest Hemingway loved the .22 as well...and carried a Colt Pre-Woodsman with him everywhere. Woods and city.

I actually have one that's only a few serial numbers away from the one he carried, made in 1919.

https://i.imgur.com/XpCTwuE.jpeg

With fly rod, knife and handgun. Ernest Hemingway in Michigan around 1920, perhaps on the camping trip with his fellow WWI veterans. The shoulder rig holds what is likely his first .22-caliber Colt Automatic Pistol, Serial No. 12072—made in 1919 and then found and lost again in Kenya 80 years later. John F. Kennedy Library

https://i.imgur.com/RDlqb9f.jpeg

All that being said, I prefer my Sig P365X nowadays. Lots of 9mm in a small package.

https://i.imgur.com/ivkpofU.jpeg
View Quote

Thanks- I have never seen that picture of Hemingway before.  I see joy on his face, and that is something a plinker can help provide.  The world is serious, yes.  It can also provide some fun.  In other words I suppose The Sun Also Rises?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I wonder what he would think of .32H&R (I've read that .327 can be blasty). I guess my trail gun is a Glock 48; I haven't shot anything with it but it's what I end up carrying while hiking.
View Quote

The 327 is pretty violent,  but just so versatile. I need to get a holster made for my 4" SP101; keeping it loaded with hot .327 FedMag, with some .32 S&W in a pouch cover a lot of bases 'on the trail'

I need to get a holster for mine
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I could actually be totally content with just a single six in the woods. I've killed a lot of dinner with my 5.5" gun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I love my Single Six. I've committed more atrocities against nature with it than anything else. The 22 mag cylinder lives in it full time. It also helps that it was my grampa's.

Article is kinda stupid though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn a GzOne.  I had one for several years till someone put a five finger discount on it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do they make a Buckmark in magnum?

View Quote

I don't believe so.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I hate to think how many back pockets I wore out carrying a Lorcin .22 around the farm back in thr 80s and 90s.

It would pretty reliably go bang, and I was a pretty good shot with it after many, many rounds.

It was, however, a single action in the revolver sense. Wouldn't ever feed itself. You had to hold your thumb on the extractor and shuck the slide every time.

Hey, it was what I had.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Damn a GzOne.  I had one for several years till someone put a five finger discount on it.
View Quote

@Bandhunter

Best phone I ever had.   I kept it long into the smart phone days.  My friends once gave me crap about it while were eating at a restaurant.   They were all going into how awesome their smart phone were when I asked one of them to call me while I was saying, “Can your phone do this?”, as I dropped it into a water glass.  You could hear the cringing.   Kept  using that phone for years.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I had mine up to 2011.  Great phone.  I had a drunk friend turn the light on and say watch how tough this thing is and threw it off a two story deck down a mountain side at night. Phone was fine.  Many times fully submerged in water no problem.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just really dont care for 22 anymore
View Quote

Send me your .22 firearms and ammunition for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Article is odd but I do agree that a good 22 revolver is fun, useful, fairly light, and ammo is easy to carry.

If you have a 22 magnum cylinder look out. That’s a nasty little round!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Whatever variety of threaded Ruger MKIV you prefer.  Available in two group angles and multiple barrel length and weight combinations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I disagree with a lot of his points, yet, I still want a .22 pistol

What is the best "go to" semi auto, easily suppress-able .22 pistol?
Whatever variety of threaded Ruger MKIV you prefer.  Available in two group angles and multiple barrel length and weight combinations.

The S&W M&P compact 22 has been amazingly light and accurate host too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#34]
“I once hunted with an old Montana rancher who lived his life outside. He had lines on his face that seemed as deep as the washes on his ranch, and he owned a well-worn Ruger Single Six that he kept in a leather holster on the dashboard of that truck.”

I, too, have a single-six that has traveled many miles with me…
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Stop using Golden Bullets and that will improve tenfold.
View Quote

I did. federal or CCI for me.

I literally shot out a gsg 1911 in 22. Slide is cracked, dirty as hell, still mostly runs.

22s are great, and I will always have one, but I'm not montana rancher. If I need to shoot something I likely want it to be dead in a hurry cause it's coming after me. However I'd give my wife a 10/22 for defense. She hates ARs, doesn't practice with the 357 lever gun, but can dump 25 rounds into a head sized target pretty damn quick with the 22.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Friend's dad carried a colt woodsman everywhere. Used to slay "chucks" as he was driving past his fields from the drivers seat
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m more of a +P .45 LC hardcast guy for a trail gun Attachment Attached File

1290 fps with a 255 cast performance wfn   That a Taylor TKO 21 out of a 3in barrel.

I do have a several 22 pistols including a nice little wrangler single action
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Article is odd but I do agree that a good 22 revolver is fun, useful, fairly light, and ammo is easy to carry.

If you have a 22 magnum cylinder look out. That’s a nasty little round!
View Quote

Try it in a 1-5/8" Freedom Arms mini.
I learned where to place my thumb when first firing mine and it made me bleed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#39]
10 rounds of .22 or 15 rounds of 9mm. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Unless you are hunting small game, otherwise I can’t think of any situation where 9mm isn’t the better choice. G19 is my bang around gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
An old trope:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
An old trope:
. And while I’d not want to shoot a menacing cougar with a .22 pistol, I’d rather do that than throw rocks at it.

I would just take her out for drinks. And maybe a back rub later.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just really dont care for 22 anymore
View Quote

what about purple?

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I wouldn't call it a "trail gun" but I bought my dad a MKIII 22/45 and he loves it, it rides in the truck with him when he goes up to cut firewood. He's bagged a few squirrels with it when he was sitting around taking a break. He doesn't wear it on his hip when he's cutting wood, but if he goes up back to start a fire, or just hang out in the back 40 it's on his hip. I would be perfectly comfortable carrying mine while taking a walk on my family's land, we don't have any big predators in the area, the rare small black bears you might encounter run away when they hear you coming.

On public land I would carry my Glock 21SF though, it's better suited for handling predators of the 2-legged variety.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#43]
617 master race checking in.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top