User Panel

Site Notices
Who watches Anime? (Page 743 of 744)
Page / 744
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
Does Berserk of Gluttony get any better after E3?

I thought the first two episodes were promising and was curious to see more about the MC and his gluttony skill.  However, E3 was a snoozefest.  The whole damn thing was about the Canute-looking female MC (who I find boring as hell) and the anime seems to be trending towards her being pretty much a co-protagonist.
View Quote

Well, that fuckin’ sucked.  After the “holy shit” moment in E5,  I thought we were going to get an enjoyable MC, but instead he turned into an annoying idiotic simp.  And the female MC became even more insufferable.

Female MC: “What happened here!?!”

A dozen eyewitnesses: “those criminals tried to murder that guy and he defended himself with nonlethal force.”

Female MC: “I’m taking that guy to jail!”

Guy who was defending himself: “What? Didn’t you hear the witnesses? Those criminals tried to murder me and I defended myself.”

Female MC: “You need to reflect on the error of your ways!”
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:56:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#2]

Well, that fuckin’ sucked.  After the “holy shit” moment in E5,  I thought we were going to get an enjoyable MC, but instead he turned into an annoying idiotic simp.  And the female MC became even more insufferable.

A dozen eyewitnesses: “those criminals tried to murder that guy and he defended himself with nonlethal force.”

Guy who was defending himself: “What? Didn’t you hear the witnesses? Those criminals tried to murder me and I defended myself.”

View Quote

Kinda like the punishment for getting a brief glimpse, through absolutely no fault of their own, of a girl's panties.

ETA:  Come to think of it, Japan seems to have odd views on the subject of self-defense - the defender is apparently supposed to share in the blame for the outcome.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JPN:

ETA:  Come to think of it, Japan seems to have odd views on the subject of self-defense - the defender is apparently supposed to share in the blame for the outcome.
View Quote

You mean, like getting physically attacked in a USA public school and getting punished for it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#4]
So who got their Crunchyroll settlement money?

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

You mean, like getting physically attacked in a USA public school and getting punished for it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

Over two decades ago, there were people in Nashville (including the school board) arguing that Nashville public schools should be more like Japanese schools.  At that point, they were trying to claim that Japanese schools were more successful because of how many additional hours Japanese students spend at school, and that Nashville would have to switch to a year-round school schedule to match the Japanese statistics on hours spent at school.  Two things that they kept ignoring, no matter how many times we pointed it out to them, was that the numbers they were using for hours that Japanese students spend at school included hours for club activities and after school cram sessions (not classroom time with a teacher, as they were claiming), and the Japanese do not have school in August (because it is too fucking hot to cram everybody into a building).  They didn't give up until one slightly hotter than normal August proved what we had been telling them about how air conditioning systems are sized for an expected load and don't really work when the load is higher than that (a student in my daughter's school got heat stroke and a ride in an ambulance after he collapsed in the cafeteria).

Liberals pick and choose things they like from Japanese society, while ignoring WHY those things work in Japan and what else is required to make them work.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By yekimak:
I keep hoping jobless reincarnation will stop being a depressing slice of life anime but my hopes are dwindling.
View Quote

S1 started off as an enjoyable and funny anime with, from time to time, a few sprinkles of misery, suffering, and depression.

Then slowly, over the course of 24 episodes, it flipped.

By the end of S1 it had turned into a depressing anime filled with misery and suffering and, from time to time, a few sprinkles of joy and humor.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#7]
hey guys, if you are plugged in to twitter i have a question.

why do so many anime and furry people have a water melon slice in their name now?

like what did i miss?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:02:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#8]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

why do so many anime and furry people have a water melon slice in their name now?

like what did i miss?
View Quote

I'm surprised that a water melon slice is allowed to exist by the cancel culture crowd.

ETA:  My second twitter ban was final, so I can't help with the explanation.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]

like what did i miss?
View Quote
Is it because they're a bunch of fruity individuals?

I dunno. I have a Twitter, but I only ever used it gun rights stuff.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#10]

like what did i miss?
View Quote
@LittlePony I just looked it up. It's support for palestinian independence
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:
View Quote

I had no idea, and to be honest, never even noticed it.
Makes sense with the same colors as the Palestinian flag though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:

Does Japan even like palestine?

It would be quite funny if they don't, and yet these western weebs keep gargling the p-stine's balls.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes

like what did i miss?

i see

time to go on a blocking spree.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I’m watching The Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World and I hear a nameless character say “gross, that girl’s red eyes and white hair are creepy and weird.”

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By joe_sun:

Animation is good but the world isn't making any sense right now.
Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RarestRX:

Kaiju Number 8:  Thumbs up!

Animation is good but the world isn't making any sense right now.
Click To View Spoiler

That part finally makes some sense in ep 3.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:04:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#16]
I don't think that I posted about this here (but my memory could be playing tricks on me). This is about a new service from Japan that has some anime content, but also much non-anime content.

In the US, if you had a cable TV subscription, you used to be able to subscribe to TV Japan as an extra pay channel - for watching NHK (Japan's national TV broadcast network) news live, dramas, other entertainment and documentaries, sports (such as baseball and sumo), etc. TV Japan was only available through cable TV - it was not available via web streaming.

There was also a separate streaming, on-demand service from NHK called D-Library Japan, which I used to watch on a Roku box or on the web.

D-Library Japan was shut down last fall.

TV Japan was shut down at the end of March.

NHK has just released a replacement subscription service for viewers in the US and Canada which can be accessed through a web browser or via a streaming box such as a Roku. There is also an app that you can get via various app stores.

It's called JME. They offer three streams - one of them, NHK World Premium, has live news, sumo, and other programming in Japanese, similar to what was offered via TV Japan, with programming taken from the domestic NHK offerings. In addition there is NHK World, in English (which IIRC is also available free on the web and via an app), and another channel for on-demand viewing of programs in Japanese, both from NHK and other broadcasters, called JME Select, similar to what was offered via D-Library Japan.

They are having a promotion to encourage new subscribers - sign up for monthly service for $25 per month, or yearly service for $250/year, and get the first 30 days free - and that promotion expires on April 30. The new service costs less than TV Japan, on a monthly basis, especially since no cable TV subscription is required. It is more expensive than D-Library Japan (which used to cost $10 per month), but offers much more than that did.

For details. go to https://watch.jme.tv/eng for their English site, or https://watch.jme.tv in Japanese.

From that page:

Introducing our New Service: Jme

Experience unlimited access to a wide array of popular dramas, movies, variety shows, news, and more from NHK and other broadcasters—all for a fixed price.

Enjoy your favorite content anytime, anywhere in the US and Canada via the internet.

Jme is a trusted and officially licensed service, ensuring a safe and secure viewing experience approved by Japanese rights holders.

30 Days Free Trial ⏰ Ends on 4/30
Subscribe to Jme by April 30th and
Watch Free for 30 Days

“ Watch Free for 30 Days “ is available for ONLY signing up on the Website
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Kinda like the punishment for getting a brief glimpse, through absolutely no fault of their own, of a girl's panties.

View All Quotes

Thats a real thing for sure. If you're at a stop light and some drunk idiot rear ends you, you're at fault too because if you werent there the accident wouldnt have happened. Its stupid as fuck.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:17:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin76] [#18]
View All Quotes

Yeah, most Japanese look at two people fighting and don't really see much difference between the two. It's part of how the school system works here. They basically see the person defending himself as having had something to do with escalating the situation because it is uncommon (not that it never happens) to see somebody just start a fight out of nowhere.

Does Japan even like palestine?

I have seen no evidence, either on the street/trains or in media, showing any Japanese showing support for Palestine. Yeah, they think it is sad but they don't follow up with "Israel bad".

Liberals pick and choose things they like from Japanese society, while ignoring WHY those things work in Japan and what else is required to make them work.

Yeah, I hate how lefty idjits like pointing to some specific aspect of Japan and push for aping that thing without looking at the whole picture which makes that happen and supports it. The Japanese school system works in general almost in spite of how the public schools are run.

There's a lot of competition to get into the private school system in order to eventually get into a good university. For most students this starts with getting into a good middle school (though many start even earlier by getting into a good elementary school). If the student didn't get into a good middle school they are working even harder to get into a good high school. If you miss that step you will be swimming against the tide when it's time to prepare for university entrance exams.

While there are some extreme examples of kids who study on their own and get into a good school just about all kids are spending most of their after school time in a private cram school which knows how to focus their studies for the schools they want to test for. Each school has its own exam and focuses those tests in different ways.

Public schools in Japan are pretty much just a waste of time for the kids who are trying to get into higher education. But these are the schools that American lefties think we need to copy.

My kids just went through this step in life. My youngest, at 11 years old, was studying 7 days a week, often coming home from cram school after 9 PM, for about 8 months before entrance exams started (many start earlier than 8 months out). In the past, looking in from the outside (before I had kids going through this), I had thought that these cram schools were just money leeches that, at best, only provided a quiet place to study. But when I saw how they turned my youngest from a somewhat lazy, disinterested kid into a motivated scholar I was very impressed.

ETA: Japanese public schools essentially admit that they add little to the student's education in how they allow students to skip all classes and activities for the last few weeks when they are doing final preparation for their entrance exams.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Have I ever mentioned I hate, and I mean HATE when they "translate" loan words that aren't even used differently? So not like "pants", but like "bottle".

Well, I don't know how its supposed to be spelled in kana, but I just heard this character say what sounded like "サオンドウヅライボ”

But then I glanced down at the subs, as I do a lot, because I'm still kinda a beginner.

Attachment Attached File

Goddamn it. Its sound. Its just "sound". Its a loan word. Its not being used differently. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

It's an explanation but meh at best.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:53:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#21]

View Quote

Absofreakinglutley

Wife has family friends that are hard core left. We're talking about living in Santa Cruz, march for trans rights, open borders California liberals. They just got back from Japan and kept talking about how they couldn't believe how polite everyone was, how clean it was and they can't wait to go back. Yeah it has nothing to do with closed borders and a lack of diversity. Don't get me wrong, I love Japan but it has it flaws just as we do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Wife has family friends that are hard core left. We're talking about living in Santa Cruz, march for trans rights, open borders California liberals. They just got back from Japan and kept talking about how they couldn't believe how polite everyone was, how clean it was and they can't wait to go back.
View Quote

I can't tell you how many times I've run across this type here. And I can make a list of the top ten things I know they will be complaining about Japan after living here for 6 months. What it takes for Japanese society to deliver those things they love so much are the kinds of behaviors and thoughts that they despise.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ronin76:

I can't tell you how many times I've run across this type here. And I can make a list of the top ten things I know they will be complaining about Japan after living here for 6 months. What it takes for Japanese society to deliver those things they love so much are the kinds of behaviors and thoughts that they despise.
View Quote

What they consider flaws and problematic thoughts and behaviors, people who aren't delusional about human nature refer to as "based".
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

I'm guessing that
Click To View Spoiler

Looks like the manga is over 100 chapters.  If I find myself looking for something else to read, I might see if the manga does a better job of explaining things.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Absofreakinglutley

Wife has family friends that are hard core left. We're talking about living in Santa Cruz, march for trans rights, open borders California liberals. They just got back from Japan and kept talking about how they couldn't believe how polite everyone was, how clean it was and they can't wait to go back. Yeah it has nothing to do with closed borders and a lack of diversity. Don't get me wrong, I love Japan but it has it flaws just as we do.
View All Quotes

Absofreakinglutley

Ask them if they have looked into what would be involved in moving to Japan, buying a house, and setting up permanent residency there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Ronin76:

View Quote

We get the same thing in Tennessee, from people who move here from states that have damaged their own economy with high taxes and restrictive laws.  I have a relative who retired from the Nissan factory in Smyrna and was working there from the beginning - hired before the factory was built.  She has commented many times about the number of people who moved here because they had been laid off from Ford, GM, or Chrysler factories in other states, then started complaining about how they didn't like how people did things here.  She would tell them that I-65 goes both ways, and they can use it to drive back to where they came from, just like they used it to get here.  She said that some of them actually did go back - they could not adapt to the local societal norms and left Tennessee.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#27]

i see

View All Quotes

i see

I don't know how you even can be on X these days.  I'm only on Reddit for gaming stuff and running into the anime tourism there is soul crushing.

One particular thread hurt when I understood that people don't even understand what a loli is supposed to be anymore.

I’m watching The Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World and I hear a nameless character say “gross, that girl’s red eyes and white hair are creepy and weird.”

https://i0.wp.com/media0.giphy.com/media/gpufDFw0sPBYY/giphy.gif

I saw that one.  I remember the tone and art style being similar to many of the other cookie cutter fantasy school setting shows.  But the MC being a total chad made it somewhat fun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#28]
She would tell them that I-65 goes both ways.
View Quote

Based.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#29]

I'm guessing that
Click To View Spoiler

Looks like the manga is over 100 chapters.  If I find myself looking for something else to read, I might see if the manga does a better job of explaining things.
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

I'm guessing that
Click To View Spoiler

Yep just like the ghoul stuff from Tokyo ghoul and so many others.

Click To View Spoiler

But more than that you can't have people doing cool anime things if people are just using artillery and tanks like they probably would be in real life if such creatures existed.

I'm personally feeling as an anime only that.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

Click To View Spoiler

But more than that you can't have people doing cool anime things if people are just using artillery and tanks like they probably would be in real life if such creatures existed.

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

I'm guessing that
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

From what is shown in the opening
Click To View Spoiler
and
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:32:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Commander_Keen] [#31]

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

I'm guessing that
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Click To View Spoiler
and
Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

I'm guessing that
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
and
Click To View Spoiler

Oh that's definitely possible.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Commander_Keen:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

I'm guessing that
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
You're getting warmer on your predictions, but I won't say which parts.

And yes, I read ahead. Shits good
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

I'm guessing that
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

I was tempted to read ahead but decided not to. I have a bad habit of doing that to see if I can tell where the story is going.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#36]

I was tempted to read ahead but decided not to. I have a bad habit of doing that to see if I can tell where the story is going.
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

I'm guessing that
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

I don't know how they will continue the story after what I can only assume to be the main arc is over.

I read all that was translated, and the end of it isn't done yet, but it looks to be huge. It will be tough to top it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Not sure how Re:Monster made an hours long training montage so fun and interesting.

Like, it doesn't stick in my head the same way where I look forward to it each week like I do some other shows but I love seeing it every week when it just shows up and makes my day better.

If you're not watching it now it feels like it would be a perfect binge show.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Not sure how Re:Monster made an hours long training montage so fun and interesting.

Like, it doesn't stick in my head the same way where I look forward to it each week like I do some other shows but I love seeing it every week when it just shows up and makes my day better.

View Quote

Agreed.

Also the MC

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
I've been enjoying it. It's another fun trash isekai, and at least it's a bit of a different take.

Also, the MC is voiced by one of my favorites in the dub.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#40]

Agreed.

Also the MC

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Agreed.

Also the MC

Click To View Spoiler
Yeah, he does. Rare in this genre
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes

Agreed.

Also the MC

Click To View Spoiler

He's a gentleman about it. And not all scared about women and intimacy. That's the rare part.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Like with Liar Liar I don't feel like I'm smart enough to enjoy God's games we play. I'm trying but goddamn I feel dumb watching it.

Autism is why I like anime. Bright contrasting colors, easily approachable MCs, bouncing....... Stuff..

I don't want to think I just want comforts so like alot of the boring or derivative stuff just let's me be stupid and happy. I'm trying here but I fear I ain't got the aptitude for it. Not saying it is bad or anything.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Like with Liar Liar I don't feel like I'm smart enough to enjoy God's games we play. I'm trying but goddamn I feel dumb watching it.

Autism is why I like anime. Bright contrasting colors, easily approachable MCs, bouncing....... Stuff..

I don't want to think I just want comforts so like alot of the boring or derivative stuff just let's me be stupid and happy. I'm trying here but I fear I ain't got the aptitude for it. Not saying it is bad or anything.

View Quote
I can't get into it either.

IMO, it's just bad.

You aren't dumb; that particular anime is
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

I love thought piece style animes.  That one never moved the needle for me.  At this point my plate is so full I have to see something that inspires me to watch a show.  

For example I'm enjoying the 3rd season of Irregular at magic high school.  It's got lots of smart guy stuff, incest, high school drama, incest, and magic battles.

All the qualities of absolute cinema.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#45]

I love thought piece style animes.  That one never moved the needle for me.  At this point my plate is so full I have to see something that inspires me to watch a show.  

For example I'm enjoying the 3rd season of Irregular at magic high school.  It's got lots of smart guy stuff, incest, high school drama, incest, and magic battles.

View All Quotes

You said "incest" twice.Mongo
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Well these two characters are bother and sister.... so you know what you are in for.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:46:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#47]

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

I'm guessing that
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

I got curious and read some of the manga, and the weapon effectiveness

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#48]
Kafka’s applicant number is 87? Really?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Not everything has had its first episode of the new season yet, but so far Bartender: Kami no Glass is my best find.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Not everything has had its first episode of the new season yet, but so far Bartender: Kami no Glass is my best find.
View Quote

I'm enjoying it, but man does it make me thirsty
Page / 744
Who watches Anime? (Page 743 of 744)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top