Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/4/2022 5:21:00 PM EDT
lol...idiots.

https://myfox28columbus.com/news/local/downtown-columbus-sober-bar-dry-mill-to-shut-down

Quote from the dumbass owner with lots of debt to the bank now - "There's more to having a good time out than just pounding down alcohol all night," Thomas said in April."

and maybe this too.

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
lol...idiots.

https://myfox28columbus.com/news/local/downtown-columbus-sober-bar-dry-mill-to-shut-down

Quote from the dumbass owner with lots of debt to the bank now - "There's more to having a good time out than just pounding down alcohol all night," Thomas said in April."

View Quote

I think everybody in Columbus probably saw this coming but the guy is a veteran and tried something new, guess we can’t judge too hard, feel sorry for the guy to be honest
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Dry bars only work when you charge a large cover, provide entertainment and allow patrons to bring their own booze.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Guy had the guts to try.  I wish him well in his future endeavors.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The reason why alcohol is so important to the social experience in a bar is because it makes it easier for people to relax and socialize. That's why the idea of an alcohol-free bar is absolutely moronic. You might as well go to church to try to get some ass at that point.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe he should open up a restaurant that doesn't serve food next, or a movie theatre that doesn't play movies.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
For his next trick, he will open a used car dealership that only sells bicycles. The cars on the lot are just for show.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe he should open up a restaurant that doesn't serve food next, or a movie theatre that doesn't play movies.
View Quote

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The reason why alcohol is so important to the social experience in a bar is because it makes it easier for people to relax and socialize. That's why the idea of an alcohol-free bar is absolutely moronic. You might as well go to church to try to get some ass at that point.
View Quote

At the expense of your body.  Alcohol is not particularly good for people.  It amazes me in a 2022 when less people smoke now than ever before that people still drink alcohol.

I’m all for doing what you want to do. As it’s not effecting me.   It was a nice business idea but not a great idea.  Had zero chance of success.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Juice bar normally has naked chicks
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
So who gets to pay back that big business development loan that he's about to default on?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone remember Sahara Clubs?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For his next trick, he will open a used car dealership that only sells bicycles. The cars on the lot are just for show.
View Quote

Or a go-cart track and goofy golf.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#15]
been here since 2003 and cant hotlink?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

I couldn't do ladies night there if I was sober.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Life is hard but it's harder if you're stupid.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60405/drymill_jpg-2623820.JPG
View Quote

Turn the lights off and the orgy would be like wallowing in a Olympic sized pool of 98.6 degree mashed potatoes......
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

The girl at the top right is fine. The others... NO.

I think you'd need some mental training from @midcap if you wanted to survive ladies night there.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn, that’s where I went wrong.  Off to church I go!
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The girl at the top right is fine. The others... NO.

I think you'd need some mental training from @midcap if you wanted to survive ladies night there.
View Quote

She’s not fine, she’s just not as fat as the others.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Turn the lights off and the orgy would be like wallowing in a Olympic sized pool of 98.6 degree mashed potatoes......
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Guy had the guts to try.  I wish him well in his future endeavors.
View Quote
that's the problem, yes I see taking a chance, but when you have no true plan and especially you don't know your market or location.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Outside of the Mormon corridor in Idaho, Utah, and Nevada, a dry bar is a really bad idea. The whole point of a bar is to consume some liquid courage in order to tolerate social interaction.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm not familiar with the concept of a "dry bar", but might one just open a good restaurant without a liquor license? You can even eat at the "bar", if you want.
View Quote

Eating at the bar is almost always better like sushi
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
She’s not fine, she’s just not as fat as the others.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Did it have good food or some kind of entertainment?  

What was the business plan?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

2, 3, 7, 8, 4, 6, 5, 1
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

8, 5, 7, 6, 2, 1, 3, 4
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#30]
While not a good business idea, it’s an interesting thing.

I could see it working if you had like a 15-17 year old night, and an 18+ night.  And didn’t let pervy adults in those nights.  Just somewhere for kids to go and dance and hang out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Dry bars usually work when staffed with nekked ladies
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So who gets to pay back that big business development loan that he's about to default on?
View Quote

If it’s an sba loan, it’s personally guaranteed.  If he files personal bankruptcy, fee taxpayers.  If it’s a standard bank loan, bank eats it. Loans for this mostly cover capital expenditures, so they can sell the equipment and recoup most of it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

META-VERSE™? has that.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people like that sort of thing

@midcap

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

They look related
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
At the expense of your body. Alcohol is not particularly good for people. It amazes me in a 2022 when less people smoke now than ever before that people still drink alcohol.

I’m all for doing what you want to do. As it’s not effecting me. It was a nice business idea but not a great idea.  Had zero chance of success.
View Quote

Of course alcohol isn't "particularly good" for you. It's technically a poison. That being said, there are safe amounts of alcohol to drink, and it takes much less to remove your social inhibitions than to actually feel drunk. This is why beer/wine exist and why the term "buzzed" exists.

There is a clear-cut difference between having two beers and having several shots of bourbon, lol.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Six months? Surprised they lasted that long.

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#39]
The only "juice bars" that I have ever heard of are BYOB strip joints, or "kava bars" that make you frozen drinks loaded with whatever drugs are legal, or arguably legal, at the time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
While not a good business idea, it’s an interesting thing.

I could see it working if you had like a 15-17 year old night, and an 18+ night.  And didn’t let pervy adults in those nights.  Just somewhere for kids to go and dance and hang out.
View Quote

Sounds like the old milk bars where you could go get sodas, milkshakes, etc  at a bar, there were jukeboxes and music, socializing, maybe some dancing, etc., and in which youths would often hang out since they couldn't go to a bar that served alcohol.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Of course alcohol isn't "particularly good" for you. It's technically a poison. That being said, there are safe amounts of alcohol to drink, and it takes much less to remove your social inhibitions than to actually feel drunk. This is why beer/wine exist and why the term "buzzed" exists.

There is a clear-cut difference between having two beers and having several shots of bourbon, lol.
View Quote

Yep, namely that the heterosexual man with taste and wealth is drinking the bourbon
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I always wondered how they kept the lights on at that place. Turned out they didn’t. I admire the concept, but they had to see that coming.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your being sarcastic right?

I got so many blowjobs and kinky shit from church girls... church was the best place to pick up ass..

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#44]
The Dry Peoples Club in Akron Ohio has been open right around 50 years.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The Dry Peoples Club in Akron Ohio has been open right around 50 years.
View Quote
Do they have good food, live music, strippers etc?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe he should have had flour wrestling.

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Somebody tried that in my area, called it Club Sober. Good for him for giving it a go, but he had never operated a restaurant or bar before and the place didn't last long.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Your being sarcastic right?

I got so many blowjobs and kinky shit from church girls... church was the best place to pick up ass..
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#49]
You MIGHT be able to make an alcohol free "bar" work if you recruit an army of slutty hippie chicks and are in a recreational cannabis state. Entertainment, grub, beverages galore.

Insurnace and security would likely be a nightmare though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Wouldn't a dry bar just be a coffee shop?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top