Kim Stone

Dave Holland

And of course, Geddy Lee

Who's yours?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The guy who inspired me to pick up a guitar and learn as a teenager was a guitarist I saw at my very first concert: Rory Gallagher.
Rory Gallagher - Do You Read Me (Rock Goes To College, 1979)

One of my biggest blues influences happens to be the only white guitarist to have played in the bands of Freddy King, Muddy Waters, and Albert King (he got fired for upstaging Albert): Hollywood Fats, aka Michael Mann. When it comes to jump and West Coast blues styles, no one ever matched him. Not a lot of video exists.
Hollywood Fats and James Harman 2

On acoustic bluegrass, the greatest flatpicker ever, Clarence White.
I Am A Pilgram, Soldiers Joy
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
These guys.

Link Posted: 7/7/2018 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Way too many to list at this point. But what made me want to play was my Dad tuning up a cheap ass Sears acoustic that my Mom got for her birthday when I was little and showing her stuff on it. He played when he was younger but quit. Mom never caught on to it, but it stuck with me. Later on when I was 14, I ran across that acoustic in the junk closet when my Mom sent me to get some wrapping paper for some Christmas presents. I decided to grab it and started messing around with it.

Early influences were bands like Guns N Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, Megadeth, Pantera, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, ect...

These days...good grief, I listen to and take in so much different stuff, that it would be a friggin' wall of text. Basically, I listen to just about anything but crappy pop and rap. I listen to rock, metal, country (good country, not tractor rap), some jazz/R&B, big bands, oldies, ect...
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm still learning. But these two, hands down.

I think a lot of people allow Jerry to overshadow Bobby, who is an awesome guitarist in his own right.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had a lot of different guitar players influence me over the years.

Jimmy Page, Steve Howe, Clapton, Walter Becker, Tom Scholz, and others

But currently I'm getting into a lot of Ron Wood from the years with Rod Stewart

Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Early on it was Justin Chancelor

As I got more into metal, probably a bit cliche but Cliff Burton.

As I went further down the rabbit hole into death metal, it was the likes of Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) and Andrew Grevey (Wretched).

When I played in a band I would tear up the same riffs as the guitarists, but when it most complimented the music I did my best to reel it back, lock in with the drummer, and play some more rhythmic based licks.

Blazing away with guitarists in melodic death metal is fun, but being your own instrument in the mix can push sections of over the top.

Guitar wise? Fuck I don’t know, I don’t write enough on guitar to really be able to recognize who influences that playing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Criss Oliva from Savatage and Andy LaRoque from King Diamond were my two biggest influences.
Everything changed when I first heard these two.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Jimmy Page, EVH, Zakk Wylde & Joe Satriani.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been influenced by so many great players. Have a listen to this one and take a guess who the influence was here.
https://soundcloud.com/jparry335/smooth-jazz-c-major-es-335
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been influenced by so many great players. Have a listen to this one and take a guess who the influence was here.
https://soundcloud.com/jparry335/smooth-jazz-c-major-es-335
View Quote
My first guess before I even clicked on that link would be Pat Metheny, but then I listen to it.  Sounds more like Larry Carlton?
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My first guess before I even clicked on that link would be Pat Metheny, but then I listen to it.  Sounds more like Larry Carlton?
View Quote
Pat Metheny is definitely one of my influences but you are right on the money with Larry!
Good job man!
Now, try this one. Should be pretty easy. It's a collaboration I did with a couple of other guys. I take the last solo and the outro.
https://soundcloud.com/4pickupguy/spanish-castle-magic
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pat Metheny is definitely one of my influences but you are right on the money with Larry!
Good job man!
Now, try this one. Should be pretty easy. It's a collaboration I did with a couple of other guys. I take the last solo and the outro.
https://soundcloud.com/4pickupguy/spanish-castle-magic
View Quote
Nice job.  Had a little Texas blues in there too via SRV style.  I actually like Ace's version:

Ace Frehley - Spanish Castle Magic - Origins Vol. 1
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I have weird ones I guess....didn't give a shit about technical players, still don't. To me, it's about songs and sounding good in them, so players like Mark Knopfler, Elliot Easton, Gilmour, Mike Campbell are who got me wanting to play guitar and write music.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#16]
My influence for wanting to learn music was Ace. Back in 1976 a kid in school showed me some KISS albums and I was hooked on KISS.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 4:26:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Probably incrediably unpopular here. Don Rich.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Probably incrediably unpopular here. Don Rich.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/okt9T8mpyoE/hqdefault.jpg
View Quote
Don was the man. To me he defined the telecaster sound.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Don was the man. To me he defined the telecaster sound.
View Quote
I think he invented it, and James Burton turned it into an art.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#20]
As a kid in the late 80s and early 90s
Slash, Page, Robinson, Ford, (crowes),

Today
Thornley, Kotzen.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Started playing bass in 1985 as a Sophomore in high school

Geddy Lee
JPJ
Eric Avery
Jaco
Gary Willis

I'm still playing in bands. Have gig tonight..
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thornley
View Quote
Huge fan of his work, he's an amazing musician and a great songwriter on top of it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Boots Randolph, David Sanborn, Eric Marienthal for starters.
Beyond the above, my handful of lesson teachers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Jack Benny for me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

One of my biggest blues influences happens to be the only white guitarist to have played in the bands of Freddy King, Muddy Waters, and Albert King (he got fired for upstaging Albert): Hollywood Fats, aka Michael Mann. When it comes to jump and West Coast blues styles, no one ever matched him. Not a lot of video exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK8L2IXFyu8
View Quote
Guy was fantastic , another great who wasted his life .

with the James Harmon band

James Harman and Hollywood Fats - PART1
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#26]
For me it changes.

I’m trying to really learn blues guitar and it’s slow going. I have a few standard licks that I default to but it’s confining. So lately I’ve been listening to Clapton, Jeff Beck etc.

But I bounce around.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For me it changes.

I'm trying to really learn blues guitar and it's slow going. I have a few standard licks that I default to but it's confining. So lately I've been listening to Clapton, Jeff Beck etc.

But I bounce around.
View Quote
Im not a guitar player so you can take this with a grain of salt , but maybe give the guys that Clapton , Beck etc. got their ideas from a listen , Freddie King , Albert King ,  Muddy Waters , Jimmy Rogers , Hubert Sumlin , Buddy Guy etc. , Aside from being great music maybe it will freshen things up for you. Im a harp player and while I listen to stuff from the newer guys , Kim Wilson , James Harmon etc.  , I always go back to the originals Little Walter , Big Walter , George Smith , guys from that era to get their licks and feel . Its surprising when listening to the newer guys how much they got from the originators .
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I have too many influences to list.

All the usual Blues/Rock suspects like SRV, Buddy, Eric, Jimi, Jimmy, etc.

Some ones that aren’t everyone else’s that have had the biggest impact on my style is Adam Jones (Tool), Tom Morrello, and Brad Paisley which is weird because I don’t particularly like his music and it’s not my style but his licks are so fun and I love to throw them at the end of a blues run. I saw him live because of a girl I was chasing at the time and his playing impressed me, more so than the girl.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have too many influences to list.

All the usual Blues/Rock suspects like SRV, Buddy, Eric, Jimi, Jimmy, etc.

Some ones that aren't everyone else's that have had the biggest impact on my style is Adam Jones (Tool), Tom Morrello, and Brad Paisley which is weird because I don't particularly like his music and it's not my style but his licks are so fun and I love to throw them at the end of a blues run. I saw him live because of a girl I was chasing at the time and his playing impressed me, more so than the girl.
View Quote
Yep, Vince Gill and Keith Urban are two that I might not purchase their music but great players I'd love to see live. I'm coming around to Keith Richards also.  I just hear him differently at 49 than I did at 19.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep, Vince Gill and Keith Urban are two that I might not purchase their music but great players I'd love to see live. I'm coming around to Keith Richards also.  I just hear him differently at 49 than I did at 19.
View Quote
Yeah. I have seen Keith Urban and he too impressed me even though I’m not a fan of his music. I was very impressed by how well he can sing while playing. I’m not a great player by any means and I’m certainly not a good singer. Anything more than strumming chords and I’m not singing anything. I have to completely focus on one just to be halfway decent at either.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Way too many to list, the ones that really made an impression on me was Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoads, a few others but nowhere near the influence these 2 had on me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Keith Moon and Dave Lombardo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top