Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2018 4:33:32 PM EDT
I cross-posted this in the Urban Commandos sub-forum, but figured it would be good to put it here as well.

I was hired to program touch panels for a city council chambers.

Who owns the file containing the programming?  Am I legally bound to give them the file?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What does your contract with the city say?

Generally, if you are an employee, your employer owns the file you create while working for them.

If you are an independent contractor, it depends on the terms and conditions you were working under.  There should have been a deliverables list associated with the contract or purchase order.  The programming may or may not have been a deliverable.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What does your contract with the city say?

Generally, if you are an employee, your employer owns the file you create while working for them.

If you are an independent contractor, it depends on the terms and conditions you were working under.  There should have been a deliverables list associated with the contract or purchase order.  The programming may or may not have been a deliverable.
View Quote
/thread
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
What he said.  That has been to court on numerous occasions and as far as I can recall it always seems to end up the same way.  If you are a paid employee then the company owns the code unless you have a contract that explicitly reads differently.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

/thread
View Quote
/end of thread.

Unless you negotiated something different from the norm
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

/end of thread.

Unless you negotiated something different from the norm
View Quote
Neither one seems to actually work.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The contract is important.

You need a lawyer if the value of the work is more than you you are ready to give away for free.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I understand the argument that my employer owns the code.  I work for them, and they sold the programming to the customer.
The fact that the certification is mine, and not the company's (no other employee may use the software to create the code) is probably irrelevant.

My issue is with the customer demanding that I give them the file that contains the programming.  As far as I'm concerned, it's my (and my company's) intellectual property, much as a song belongs to the songwriter, and not the person singing it, unless rights are specifically ceded.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I understand the argument that my employer owns the code.  I work for them, and they sold the programming to the customer.
The fact that the certification is mine, and not the company's (no other employee may use the software to create the code) is probably irrelevant.

My issue is with the customer demanding that I give them the file that contains the programming.  As far as I'm concerned, it's my (and my company's) intellectual property, much as a song belongs to the songwriter, and not the person singing it, unless rights are specifically ceded.
View Quote
Unless the employer sold them the actual code, they have no right to demand the file that contains that code and they should not have rights to change the code unless they have something in writing that states that they do.  Unless stipulated they should only be dealing with your employer and not you as the company sold the program they own and they are the only one that sets the stipulations of the sale, of course anytime a program I have wrote has been sold, the person I did it for consulted with me on what they were offering to their customer.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Unless the employer sold them the actual code, they have no right to demand the file that contains that code and they should not have rights to change the code unless they have something in writing that states that they do.  Unless stipulated they should only be dealing with your employer and not you as the company sold the program they own and they are the only one that sets the stipulations of the sale, of course anytime a program I have wrote has been sold, the person I did it for consulted with me on what they were offering to their customer.
View Quote
This is pretty much my take on the situation.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes- there should be a license agreement between your employer and the end user that lays out ownership.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes- there should be a license agreement between your employer and the end user that lays out ownership.
View Quote
I'm going to work on that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]
The wording you should look for in the contract is "Work for hire". If it was a "Work for hire" contract, they own the code. If they did not specify that your coding efforts were "Work for hire", then you own the code.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
So... the city is not your employer.  The city entered into a sales & service contract with ABC, Inc. to provide the touch panels, custom programming for them, installation, etc.

As an employee of ABC, Inc. you did the custom programming for the touch panels so you have access to the code.

This is for the city and ABC, Inc. to fight over; the code is not yours to give away as ABC, Inc. owns it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top