Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2021 11:58:31 PM EDT
So I already have a MKII slabside competition, but I just ran across a 10” MKIV that I’m thinking about buying as well. I’ve always had a weird affinity for the long barreled version. Two questions: 1) are MKII & MKIV triggers interchangeable? 2) who the best aftermarket trigger?

Update...I bought it
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#2]
https://volquartsen.com/products/1293-pistol-competition-kit-for-mk-iv

I have one in my mk III (not swappable in a mk IV) and have one in order for the incoming mk IV.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag for interest.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://volquartsen.com/products/1293-pistol-competition-kit-for-mk-iv

I have one in my mk III (not swappable in a mk IV) and have one in order for the incoming mk IV.
View Quote

Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#5]
There used to be a lot of choices on the market for trigger kits. Volquartsen, Wilson, Clark, were the top back in the day. VQ still does and is what I would go with personally, but that's because I already have. Tandem Kross has made some interesting looking triggers as well as other small bits that could prove really useful, like the blast shield.  

https://www.tandemkross.com/Victory-Trigger-for-Ruger

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/1274

I don't know what there is in parts commonality, as my experience extends to the MK II and III pistols alone.
I would stick to parts for the particular model you want them for though. The triggers were the same between the MK II and III pistols, but the MKIII hammer was shaved to make room for the magazine disco part. You could gut a MK III and use a MK II kit if you were getting rid of the magazine disco, with the addition of a MK hammer bushing.

I just don't know on the MK IVs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:56:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Volquartsen..

But I like these also..especially for the IV

https://www.apextactical.com/action-enhancement-kit-for-ruger-mk-iv-22-45

These are good also..
https://www.tandemkross.com/Victory-Trigger-Ruger%C2%AE-MKIII%E2%84%A2-MKIV%E2%84%A2-2245%E2%84%A2_p_197.html

Really tho we all came here to see pics of these..

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Volquartsen
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Volquartsen
View Quote

This.

I installed the full kit in mine. The travel adjustments will make that thing sing. And the bigger bolt release tab is very nice.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Volquartsen Competition Kit.

Not even close.

Tandemkross is good stuff...but VQ is a league of its own.

I have a Scorpion, and thought so highly of it I upgraded all the internals of my 22/45 with the exception of the bolt itself to VQ.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Volquartsen Competition Kit.

Not even close.

Tandemkross is good stuff...but VQ is a league of its own.

I have a Scorpion, and thought so highly of it I upgraded all the internals of my 22/45 with the exception of the bolt itself to VQ.
View Quote

FWIW, I'm much more happy with my tandemkross than with my volquartsen stuff.  I think some of it comes down to the individual unit you get.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Long you say?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:47:58 AM EDT
[#12]
You used to be able to install a MkII Trigger and sear in a MkIII but you had to delete the magazine safety.  Which isn't a bad thing, and makes MkIII field stripping and reassembly easier.  The MkIII took a great gun and added a bunch of lawyer parts that really didn't improve anything.  

The MkIV takedown process is so much better.  But really if they had stuck to the MkII it would still be a great gun today.  

When you consider the 22/45 versions, the MkIV is clearly superior in every way.  Removable 1911 style grip panels, controls and magazine release without the terrible grip of the first gen 22/45 (MkII). And without the stupid LCI that was causing accidental discharges.  The negligence there is all on Ruger's engineers that came up with the LCI design.  

I really think the MkIV 22/45 is the coolest .22 handgun ever.   Feels great in the hand and points naturally.  

The stock trigger in them isn't as nice as a Volquartsen drop in kit, but it is quite good.  After 1500 rounds or so the stock triggers really come into their own.  You will not wear these guns out.  I probably  have over 10k rounds through my old MkII and it is still one of my favorite guns to shoot.  You just can't wear it out.

I would caution you to clean the bolt and breech faces regularly though.  Rimfire primers contain a hard grit that helps ignition, and this can accumulate on these surfaces.  Over time, you will begin to see surface wear as the bolt and breech faces impact each other and smash this grit between them.  Some ammo is worse for this than others.

Sorry for rambling.  This is one of my favorite guns so...
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#13]
It's been so long that I can't remember what I put in it.  

It seems like it was mostly a spring kit and I slicked up some stuff.    I'm happy with it regardless.

I love the aftermarket support for the MK and 10/22 but it's easy to sink a metric asspile of money into them pretty quickly.

I have a box somewhere with every part to a 10/22 except the receiver.   Some parts there a a few different aftermarket versions.

I'd buy a receiver but that would just send me down the rabbit hole again and I'd have another box of shit.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:00:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's been so long that I can't remember what I put in it.  

It seems like it was mostly a spring kit and I slicked up some stuff.    I'm happy with it regardless.

I love the aftermarket support for the MK and 10/22 but it's easy to sink a metric asspile of money into them pretty quickly.

I have a box somewhere with every part to a 10/22 except the receiver.   Some parts there a a few different aftermarket versions.

I'd buy a receiver but that would just send me down the rabbit hole again and I'd have another box of shit.  
View Quote

Get a 3D printer and make your own receiver.

The difference between the Mk series guns and the 10/22 boils down to one thing.  Walmart doesn't sell handguns, and hasn't for a long time.  That's why the overall materials quality of the Mk series guns has remained pretty consistent, while the 10/22 went from anodized to painted receivers and barrel bands.  And they ditched the aluminum FCG for plastic.  These cost cutting measures didn't happen on the Mk series because Walmart wasn't pressuring them to price them lower, since Walmart wasn't selling pistols.  Even the 22/45 lite still has anodizing instead of paint.

I bet if Walmart never sold the 10/22, you'd have to replace a lot fewer parts on them.  The ones made in the 80s and early 90s were great little rifles right out of the box. 2000 onward, not so much.  I have one of the interim 10/22s that has painted aluminum parts, but still has an aluminum trigger housing.  They came out with the plastic soon after.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#15]

That’s funny. I have an extra RMR & was thinking about buying a 2.5” assembly as well since they’re so easy to swap on the MKIVs. I learned to shoot with a 9.5” barreled Single Six, so I think there’s some nostalgia there with the longer barrel.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#16]
VQ .
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Clark Custom used to do custom Rugers, i guess not anymore.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#18]
If you do the Volquarsten trigger, always to the bolt/extractor too.  Mine had FTF/FTEs until I did both.

This kit has everything you need; https://volquartsen.com/products/1293-pistol-competition-kit-for-mk-iv
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Volquartsen
View Quote

If you put it in yourself it's a PITA but not horrible. You'll be glad you did it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought it, OP updated with pic. Appreciate all of the responses, I’ll probably go with VQ on this one and then try a Tandemkoss when I get a 22/45.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#21]
How much work is involved in replacing just the sear in a MKII? If one was to replace the sear, should you just go ahead and install the complete accurizing kit?
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How much work is involved in replacing just the sear in a MKII? If one was to replace the sear, should you just go ahead and install the complete accurizing kit?
View Quote

Personally I'd just get the full competition kit.

It is involved, but not difficult. Take your time and you'll be just fine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a 1958 MK-I and it already had a crisp 1.75# trigger....As best as I can tell no aftermarket parts were used so I guess it can be done by a smith without them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/23/2021 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been using the Majestic arms and the Tandomkross flats. I like them. I don't care for the curvy round triggers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not hard at all. It's easier than a full gut, but honestly if you are going with a sear. You might as well go for the whole hog.

Nowadays there are plenty of instructional videos to help you. I had some printed out step by step pics to help me. I can do a full gut and rebuild in less than an hour, and all the VQ parts are drop in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top