[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sofa King.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
We bought a few shitty couches until we got a sectional from pottery barn. It’s been a solid piece very happy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

From what I understand, Lane furniture was bought out and is no longer considered decent quality. That’s why you find it at Big Lots
View Quote

Lane used to make awesome stuff. It's too bad they aren't what they once were anymore.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
We've had a Lazy Boy (don't know the right way to spell it) couch and love seat for just over 10 years. 3 kids, a big dog, lots of jumping, falling, playing, kids getting sick on it, etc. The fabric doesn't look new anymore but still pretty good. One arm of the couch where I park my big frame is starting to squeak. It could use a little more padding on the arms but I think that's more the kind/style we got than anything.

They're made in my and my wife's hometowns which is funny since they're two different places. Made by the finest drug-addled Tennesseans money can buy! They make good stuff though.

Someone else mentioned England who owns LZB, I've not had good experience with their stuff. There's a factory seconds store in Tazewell where the stuff can be bought very cheap but I don't know that I'd say it's worth it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I can attest to it taking 6 months plus to get furniture delivered.

La z boy also said they have severe staffing issues, which means longer delivery times, but also unskilled new labor is putting their shit together as quickly as possible.

What could go wrong?

I fear the quality of the furniture that arrives... whenever it arrives.  Tempted to cancel multiple times, but need to replace current badly.

My 12 yr old Lane sectional would be great still if the cushions weren't stitched down.  The foam is done.  Done, done.  And I can't just unzip and replace.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
My sectional is about 18 years old,and has survived 3 kids and a dog. Current dog doesn't get couch privileges. It's still looks ok, and is remarkably comfortable. Bought it from Jordan's Furniture in Massachusetts, unsure of the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want hand made in USA it will be spendy and there are some long lead times currently.

The well know furniture makers are out of North Carolina. You have the likes of Hancock and Moore, Hickory Chair, Sheffield, Taylor King, Century. All of these would sell through design centers/ retailers that allow you to custom order almost all aspects of the piece.

If you like mission style stuff, and have the money, Stickley out of NY makes some amazing furniture. No doubt there are others, but these are the makers that I have used or looked at in the past.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Justice and FlexSteel.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Honest Question...

How hard is it to build a couch with no experience?
View Quote
Easier to buy an old couch and get it reupholstered. We did one and a single chair from the 40's. turned out great, lasted forever.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I went through this 8 years ago, thought I did my research and got hustled by Palliser furniture.

Recently found the light, and that is to buy or build the retro designs with exposed hardwood that uses cushions.  I bought a sweet Danish designed loveseat recently, it doesn't take up half the room, and I can move it solo if need be.  The beauty of cushions is that they can simply be replaced.  When the time comes, I'll have these made out of goatskin.  Goat is cheap, tough, and plentiful- look at all the WW2 A-2 flight jacket styles made from them.  Yes I know the originals ones were horse.  Tandy Leather is chock full of goat, but I'll likely just source from a middle east tannery direct.

The bonded leather that manufacturers sneak into areas of the couch will disbond & flake off after 5 years, everyone lies about what their leather really is, and these MF'ers are lyin' ass bitches to deal with.  Buy vintage off ebay/craigslist etc & go for a reupholster in full grain leather is my take.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a couch we dont use. Damned dog sleeps on it. Inherited it from my Mother. Hated the fabric. We dont use the living room where its at. You guys have me thinking of recovering it now.

With the shit thats out there now I wouldnt get anything near its construction.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:02:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Baer's Furniture

Haverty's

Broyhill

Hooker

Natuzzi
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:15:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish I could help OP.  I've never spent a lot of money on furniture.(poorish)  I can tell you I've bought cheaper "new" couches and they were absolute trash.  I literally had to throw them away because they would blow the springs out the bottom if you sat down to quickly.  

I lucked out a couple years ago and on one of my many trips to the Goodwill, I found what I assume is about a $2000+ leather couch for $50.  The leather is very thick, the frame is heavy gauge steel, and has reclining ends.  It's so heavy you have to break it down into 3 sections to move it but it all bolts together from the bottom.  What I'm getting at, especially how the world is right now, don't be afraid to look for used.  People seem to dump high-end furniture for pennies on the dollar on FB market place and other selling apps.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:17:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Flexsteel furniture
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:30:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Knoll. But its NOT cheap.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:59:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had good luck with Ashley Furniture. Good luck getting anything right now though, shit is many months wait time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:15:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Built to last several generations after the apocalypse.

https://www.shipshewanafurniture.com/index.php?cPath=2_1903_1918
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:31:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Ive never been disappointed with Ethan Allen. We had a 20 year old EA couch reupholstered and its already outlasted a sectional we got from Bon Marche 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:46:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Buy once, cry once...so we went with Stickley.  
Beautiful furniture that will outlast you and your children.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#21]
We have a lazboy sofa, I HATE it. Bought it hoping it would hold up... being 6'6" and 2/3rds leg, the foot portion of recliners is never long enough.  Well after 6 years or so, the foot rest quit working on my side.  Ok, what ever... I don't need a recliner.  But, the worst part is... you can't lay across the couch... the free digs into you and if you manage to sleep on it... be ready for serious pain when you wake up....

I want the lovesick sactional... but at 6 grand for the one I want, it will never happen.

Next couch is gonna be a shitty costco sectional. After that. Fuck it. Folding chairs... I hate buying furniture.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#22]
My old lane recliner lasted years of me and the kids. The new one from Biglots with just me using it has lasted about three months and it’s falling apart !
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top