Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2020 9:47:47 PM EDT
My #1 right now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow!
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Oil is the last place I would be in right now. The oil bear market is not at the bottom yet. Nobody has gone bankrupt yet. The Russians and the Saudis have only just started their little war. Scott Minerd has specifically commented that the US oil producer debt is one of the most toxic things in the credit markets right now and there is a damn good reason for that.  Ironically, even that fund is in ~60% cash equivalents which is the only thing that is has going for it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been buying small amounts of oil companies like Shell and Exxon on big drops but a leveraged fund like that is too risky for me. Every leveraged fund I've looked at has a chart that goes from some really high share price to almost 0. I guess if you time it right it will be great
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been buying small amounts of oil companies like Shell and Exxon on big drops but a leveraged fund like that is too risky for me. Every leveraged fund I've looked at has a chart that goes from some really high share price to almost 0. I guess if you time it right it will be great
View Quote

Ya the only reason that this one isn't a penny stock is because the people running it had enough sense to go to cash.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oil is the last place I would be in right now. The oil bear market is not at the bottom yet. Nobody has gone bankrupt yet. The Russians and the Saudis have only just started their little war. Scott Minerd has specifically commented that the US oil producer debt is one of the most toxic things in the credit markets right now and there is a damn good reason for that.  Ironically, even that fund is in ~60% cash equivalents which is the only thing that is has going for it.
View Quote

Are you kidding me? Last week was an absolute money maker for those that bought low on HAL & ERX (for example). If you aren't cautiously hitting these plays, you're missing out.

How about another one the "experts" have been shitting on, BA, everything else for that matter, "we aren't at bottom". Meanwhile these shorts plays have been absolute $.

Link Posted: 3/28/2020 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you kidding me? Last week was an absolute money maker for those that bought low on HAL & ERX (for example). If you aren't cautiously hitting these plays, you're missing out.

How about another one the "experts" have been shitting on, BA, everything else for that matter, "we aren't at bottom". Meanwhile these shorts plays have been absolute $.

View Quote

Don't let the short term price action justify your narrative. If it is working for you right now good for you but don't make the mistake of saying it was obvious at the time or will continue to be a winner into the future. You seem to be short term speculating in the most volatile market ever. Tread lightly.

I get alligator investing, but buying ETFs is not how you want to do it here and again I don't think you have seen the market bottom for oil. It's not terrible to be early if you are buying the established companies with good balance sheets but when I think the bottom is actually near I'll get interested.

BA should go bankrupt by any objective standard. Instead, dumb manufacturing nationalism is going to go bailout the jackass management and the attached union.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't let the short term price action justify your narrative. If it is working for you right now good for you but don't make the mistake of saying it was obvious at the time or will continue to be a winner into the future. You seem to be short term speculating in the most volatile market ever. Tread lightly.

I get alligator investing, but buying ETFs is not how you want to do it here and again I don't think you have seen the market bottom for oil. It's not terrible to be early if you are buying the established companies with good balance sheets but when I think the bottom is actually near I'll get interested.

BA should go bankrupt by any objective standard. Instead, dumb manufacturing nationalism is going to go bailout the jackass management and the attached union.
View Quote

My narrative is to make money and this whole thing is speculation, whether we are in this type of market or if the economy is booming, doesn't matter. The slightest thing can send things in either direction. All we can do is pay attention and look at history.

Even the "experts" don't know what's going to happen (the same experts that said to sell or stay away from AAPL over the summer). And the more than likely scenario is ERX is northbound in a big way as the year goes on. It looks to be priced in at this point, pending anything crazy, this is the bottom, or real close to it.

BTW, up 10% on the dip. Will see where it goes later today or tomorrow, may sell/rebuy the dip before Fri.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
A new prospectus came out a day or so. Somethings changing tomorrow. So I’m going to go read it now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#10]
ERX soaring from the dip, shocking... not so much.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought last week at 8.87 and its now at 12.62,....im not complaining and in it for the long run!
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ERX soaring from the dip, shocking... not so much.  
View Quote

ERX finished lower on the day. I maintain that it wasn't the bottom and we have been in a relief rally. The bottom will get here though...
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ERX finished lower on the day. I maintain that it wasn't the bottom and we have been in a relief rally. The bottom will get here though...
View Quote

And what did ERX do today?

You could'nt be more wrong, the proof is in the last few weeks performance. Your above post won't age well, that's for sure.

Whether you are buying and holding or actively playing it, ERX is a winner.

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]
My financial education is a bit lacking, though I'm trying to make up ground...

Can someone tell me why this is NOT a good buy? Seems like consistently high valued over the past several years, and while obviously things can go haywire, the opportunity seems significant. Again legitimately asking, as I have minimal investing background. If people have educational resources they like, please throw'em my way.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can someone tell me why this is NOT a good buy? Seems like consistently high valued over the past several years, and while obviously things can go haywire, the opportunity seems significant. Again legitimately asking, as I have minimal investing background. If people have educational resources they like, please throw'em my way.
View Quote

My best advice to you is to do your own research and not to listen to anyone, not me or anyone else, even the "experts". The experts are more often wrong, not saying do the opposite of what they say, just do your own research and be thorough. Start out by adding it to your watch list and paying attention to what's happening in the news.

Depending what happens tomorrow with the price war, I could see a dip in the next 1 to 3 days, aka a buying opp (IMO), the flip side, if good news, it'll continue on the 5 day trend that we've seen. Long term, it's an absolute no-brainer, IMO.

I've been torn between playing and stacking/holding. At this point, leaning towards holding.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I jumped in with a decent chunk of change when it was $8/share. So far I'm a happy camper. I've sold and rebought at certain points to make a little extra.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

High expense ratio of almost 1%
It's leveraged 2x
There's an oil price war going on and no one can predict how that will play out.

If you want to gamble on it you might make some money. I like oil stocks. I think they have a lot of upside if you can wait, but I wouldn't own this. Not saying it's a bad investment just not the right one for me.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I of course saw it at $14.60ish and had to jump

I've used the recent drop to test the waters. Tiny amounts, as I'm a med resident and our pay isn't exactly fantastic.... BP, RDS, HAL, they are all doing OK compared to what I put in, and stocks are not going to be what makes or breaks me at this point, so I'm in for the bumpy ride, hopefully I can learn a little along the way.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:37:23 AM EDT
[#19]
No deal this weekend and oil will drop again Monday
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I should have followed my gut and cashed out of VDE Friday morning when the share price spiked in anticipation of the OPEC deal.

I'll have to cash out quick Monday morning and take what little profit is left. Oil is probably going to limp along for a while.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I should have followed my gut and cashed out of VDE Friday morning when the share price spiked in anticipation of the OPEC deal.

I'll have to cash out quick Monday morning and take what little profit is left. Oil is probably going to limp along for a while.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deal was reached late today to reduce output.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#22]
So what is Direxion Daily Energy? a quick web search doesn't really say anything. What I gather is it's some kind of company that invests in oil?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Pumping pre-market, looking like I'm gonna lose my 1400 HAL shares this Fri if this keeps up, as my shares will be assigned (OTM CC), free money, but wanted to hold. Didn't think this pump would start so soon/last this long. I'm bailing from CC's for the time being.

Quoted:
So what is Direxion Daily Energy? a quick web search doesn't really say anything. What I gather is it's some kind of company that invests in oil?
View Quote

https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/ERX
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#24]
So hows everyone doing? I am looking at selling some of my less profitable stock and buying.

I really want to see how the best way to buy bulk crude vs investing in companies. Barrel is at $0.10/b right now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So hows everyone doing? I am looking at selling some of my less profitable stock and buying.

I really want to see how the best way to buy bulk crude vs investing in companies. Barrel is at $0.10/b right now.
View Quote
I couldn't figure out a way to make money from the drop. USO and OIL didn't drop nearly as much. The closest I found was oil storage companies but they had already increased by double digits today
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think this is going to go on another month at least.

I need to see a real drop in ERX before I would pick it up. The fact that it didn't get smacked down today is interesting. It is almost like it isn't leveraged anymore... Oh wait it is still ~60% in government paper. The fund actually seems to be run by people who know what is up and are waiting for the smash.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Interesting. This company reverse split some stocks, and are re-organizing their ETF portfolios. Hrm...
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#28]
USO is under $3 currently.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
USO is under $3 currently.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I threw a few bucks at it this morning.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same. If it hit's $10, cool.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same. Got it at $2.52. We'll see.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I owned USO and didn't know its limited partnership status would apply in an IRA. I needed to do a few extra forms and didn't realize it until after I had filed that year. It made my taxes a pain that year and the next. I think that isn't the case with OIL since it's an ETN. I compared the two and OIL tracks the actual price of crude better than USO also.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I owned USO and didn't know its limited partnership status would apply in an IRA. I needed to do a few extra forms and didn't realize it until after I had filed that year. It made my taxes a pain that year and the next. I think that isn't the case with OIL since it's an ETN. I compared the two and OIL tracks the actual price of crude better than USO also.
View Quote

I just got rid of USO. Something like 100k robinhood users bought it up and it scared me lol, oh well, made 10%.

Thanks for the heads up though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I just got rid of USO. Something like 100k robinhood users bought it up and it scared me lol, oh well, made 10%.

Thanks for the heads up though.
View Quote
They will mail your tax form late in the year. I didn't get mine until March
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Finally, it's starting to do something. Up 15% today.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes.  I got some of it.   As soon as I bought, it went down.  
After the past couple days, I’m up by a bit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Pumping AH
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll be honest.  I am not a fan of ERX.  

ERX Price Returns:
3-mo  -86.66%
6-mo  -89.67%
1-year  -91.88%
3-year  -94.10%
5-year  -97.23%

The amount of turmoil with this is beyond what I would want to enter into for any sort of 1 year investment.

If you are looking short term, I think there are many other things that are better to put your $ into.  To each his own.  If you are holding it, I hope I am completely wrong in my beliefs and it soars to the moon!

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Still holding
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'll be honest.  I am not a fan of ERX.  

ERX Price Returns:
3-mo  -86.66%
6-mo  -89.67%
1-year  -91.88%
3-year  -94.10%
5-year  -97.23%

The amount of turmoil with this is beyond what I would want to enter into for any sort of 1 year investment.

If you are looking short term, I think there are many other things that are better to put your $ into.  To each his own.  If you are holding it, I hope I am completely wrong in my beliefs and it soars to the moon!

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought 400 shares around $14.  Up over $22 today.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I bought 400 shares around $14.  Up over $22 today.  
View Quote

I’m entirely new to investing, snagged ERX at $13.81 and I’m very happy with it.

It led to a crash course in energy and the like, grabbed an equal amount of UCO at the same price. So far I’m not hating either one, just hoping they hold.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:32:10 AM EDT
[#45]
I’m in @ 16.32.   Up over 23.    I’m happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top