Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2018 11:31:38 PM EDT
I hope this is the right forum to post this.
We currently use direct TV. It sucks for several reasons. I'm currently looking for a cheaper tv provider.
Who do you have, what does it cost, what are some features you get like DVR etc?

ETA: I'm paying about $110 a month for 3 receivers and local channels. They sent an email saying we will lose the local channels in February but we can call now to get our equipment upgraded free. The email said we'd get genie DVR for free. When we called we talked to India for over an hour and they claim they don't know anything about it and it'd cost $50 a month or something for DVR. Then we get transfered to their US loyalty office or whatever, after a while she said she'd send us 3 new receivers (not DVR) so we wouldn't lose service. Then the next day on Sunday morning and Indian that we could barely understand calls us saying they need a credit card to complete the order and we were like wtf, it's supposed to be free.
Oh yeah and auto tune hasn't been working in a long time, it auto tunes to some random channel rather than what you had it set for. They told us they know about the problem and everybody has the same problem and they don't know how to fix it.

We're at the point that we would just cancelled and watch DVDs but my dad wants local news and we live in a canyon were we can't get any signal. BTW, their local news is from about 100 miles away from us.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Dish is better than Direct.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
They both suck.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, there are only two satellite providers and you are already using one.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dish is better than Direct.
View Quote
I bought a Sony DirecTV system less than a year after the company went live back in the 90s.  It was a little more than $700 for the one receiver.  A few years later I went to Dish to try this new DVR technology.  I hated Dish but loved the DVR concept.  Less than a week after my 1 year contract was up, I was back with DirecTV and I've been with them since.

I'm currently running a Genie with an upgraded hard drive to give me double the recording space.  Even though I use Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu and a bunch of other streaming channels on Roku, sports handful of TV channels are the only things keeping me from cutting the cord.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
No satellite, Playstation Vue.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:41:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP, there are only two satellite providers and you are already using one.

View Quote
I wasn't sure if there were others. I guess that's why they jack us around, because they can. Are the 2 companies owned by the same company by any chance?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:04:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Youtube TV. $40/m. Works on multiple devices (roku, cell phones, etc) and I think you can have up to 3 people watching at once and 5 people on the same account. They do support local channels as well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Youtube TV. $40/m. Works on multiple devices (roku, cell phones, etc) and I think you can have up to 3 people watching at once and 5 people on the same account. They do support local channels as well.
View Quote
Do you have to have high speed internet? The thing is we can't get dsl or anything here. We're on sattelite for internet also. I can barely watch a YouTube video with all the buffering.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you have to have high speed internet? The thing is we can't get dsl or anything here. We're on sattelite for internet also. I can barely watch a YouTube video with all the buffering.
View Quote
I had dish sat. But I have internet via a WISP (I started my own ) so yes I have the bandwidth to watch streaming video.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wasn't sure if there were others. I guess that's why they jack us around, because they can. Are the 2 companies owned by the same company by any chance?
View Quote
DirecTV is owned by AT&T.  Dish is owned by Echostar.  The cable companies jack us around because they are a monopoly in each town.  For the rural folk, you have 2 choices and they give you the incentive to switch the other guy.  Then after the discounts go away, they want to to be stuck or just forget what you pay per month so you don't switch.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's a thread in GD about using 4G for home internet.  A bunch of people have switched from satellite and most have had a huge improvement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top