Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/10/2021 2:29:13 PM EDT
Why isn't my house run off a small nuclear reactor encased in concrete 20ft underground?

Who is responsible for this
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Simpsons.
View Quote

I'm going to get that stupid rabbit drawing Groening.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Marcellus.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Jimmy Carter
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The libs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Greeniacs…
3 mile island over reaction
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Simpsons.
View Quote

Big part of it.  2nd half was cost.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Walt Disney lied to us.  Home nuclear power was never to be.

Same with flying cars, human-like robotic servants, and the 30-hour work week.

We did finally get the Picture Phone, sort of.

The robotic servants will probably show up eventually, but they will be for sex and won't do housework.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jimmy Carter
View Quote

He is history's greatest monster but I feel someone earlier than him ruined it.

I feel like in the 50s when the CIA wasn't taking over the government the scientists wanted nuclear cars and nuclear vacuum cleaners for the Mrs
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Greeniacs…
3 mile island over reaction
View Quote

And the movie The China Syndrome
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Cheaper near term energy sources are the primary reason  nuclear was put back on the dust covered shelf.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#12]
No one thing. But the major thing I attribute it to is the fact that most people were educated in nuclear matters by a combination of The Simpsons and Dr Helen Caldecott.

Having the disastrously inflexible mindset of Hyman Rickover ruling the industry doesn't help too much in this day and age.

If there is hope, it lies off world. When Elon & Companies start building off world colonies they are going to need nuclear power just to stay alive. Perhaps someday that tech will be exported back to Earth. But even on the most optimistic timelines I don't see that happening for at least 40 years.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Think how sweet that would be at closing.

"Okay Mr. TheCat here r ur keys.  Plz remember u need 2 check on ur reactor in 15years kthnx. In the meantime all ur power cost was rolled into ur home price so feel free to set the thermostat at 50° and keep ur oven preheated at all times"
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#14]
The same people responsible for the current energy crisis.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No one thing. But the major thing I attribute it to is the fact that most people were educated in nuclear matters by a combination of The Simpsons and Dr Helen Caldecott.

Having the disastrously inflexible mindset of Hyman Rickover ruling the industry doesn't help too much in this day and age.

If there is hope, it lies off world. When Elon & Companies start building off world colonies they are going to need nuclear power just to stay alive. Perhaps someday that tech will be exported back to Earth. But even on the most optimistic timelines I don't see that happening for at least 40 years.
View Quote

Skunkworks mini reactor looks tits and ready for just such a mission.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#16]
TMI, Chernobyl and NIMBYs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#17]
People that couldn't understand the difference between a tool and a weapon.   At this point I think the movement was aided, abetted and possibly created and organized by foreign governments.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The INL has several reactors that may go to Mars. Google the Marvel reactor and be amazed. Let this wet your whistle.

The MARVEL Microreactor at INL

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#19]
There was a no kidding communist propaganda campaign against all things nuclear in the US.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People that couldn't understand the difference between a tool and a weapon.   At this point I think the movement was aided, abetted and possibly created and organized by foreign governments.

https://www.bonnieraitt.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/No%20Nukes%20MSG%20button.jpg?itok=f-fZeA19
View Quote

Think how cool nuclear weaponslights would be.

Well it's one billion candela and sets fire to whatever the light touches
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"Okay Mr. TheCat here r ur keys.  Plz remember u need 2 check on ur reactor in 15years kthnx. In the meantime all ur power cost was rolled into ur home price so feel free to set the thermostat at 50° and keep ur oven preheated at all times"
View Quote

That is the way it should be.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#22]
The initial designs and safety practices were suboptimal, and as much as Americans like what is new, a general lack of education in the general population compared to scientists and engineers made the public vulnerable to vast quantities of misinformation.

I am so totally ready for a second nuclear age. We’ll always have hydrocarbons, I was in the oilfield and I’m not worried about its health, but the time is now for a fission renaissance.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The initial designs and safety practices were suboptimal, and as much as Americans like what is new, a general lack of education in the general population compared to scientists and engineers made the public vulnerable to vast quantities of misinformation.

I am so totally ready for a second nuclear age. We'll always have hydrocarbons, I was in the oilfield and I'm not worried about its health, but the time is now for a fission renaissance.
View Quote

In before the thorium cultists.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Marcellus.
View Quote

Zed's dead, baby.  Zed's dead.

Well, maybe not dead, but gathering dust on the shelf until the next reshuffling of energy reserves/processing/demand/etc.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't forget Exxon, Conoco, BP, etc...

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Skunkworks mini reactor looks tits and ready for just such a mission.
View Quote

https://bellona.org/news/nuclear-issues/radioactive-waste-and-spent-nuclear-fuel/2005-04-radioisotope-thermoelectric-generators-2
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Communists.

No - really.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There was a no kidding communist propaganda campaign against all things nuclear in the US.
View Quote

This communist fellow is in a lot of trouble when i catch up to him
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. I'm not shitposting
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Probably the powerful coal and power industry of yesteryears. using hippy's like dems use BLM.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
at least there were no fat people.
View Quote

Choosing drugs over food will do that.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#33]
HMMMMMMMMMMM

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
at least there were no fat people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

To be fair though doctors were awesome. They were like okay make sure you eat your bacon and eggs and I personally can recommend Camel as the best brand.

Anyways, that'll be $2 for your doctor visit
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Choosing drugs over food will do that.  
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

To be fair though doctors were awesome. They were like okay make sure you eat your bacon and eggs and I personally can recommend Camel as the best brand.

Anyways, that'll be $2 for your doctor visit
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#38]

A popular concept in current psychedelic culture is the concept of integration.

When the descendants of these people fully understand nuclear technologies and integrate those concepts, it will be rather interesting.

For now there is the fact that people exposed to ionizing radiation and those dosed with LSD both report a metallic taste.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Just about every private national and international lib organization that appeared in the 70s and 80s that focused on banning things like nuclear weapons/power, environment, peta/animals, oil/solar, amnesty international, etc, etc was funded by the soviets.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

https://www.nuclear-heritage.net/index.php/Anti-nuclear_movement_in_the_United_States

Find out who funded and organized the May 2, 1977 protest, and you will probably have a smoking gun of who was behind it.

ETA:

"The group was co-founded by Paul Gunter, Howie Hawkins, Howard Morland, Harvey Wasserman, Guy Chichester, Robert "Renny" Cushing, Jeff Brummer, Anna Gyorgy, Kristie Conrad, Kate Walker, Robin Read, and other activists in 1976. The Granite State Alliance, a social-change organization, had launched PEP, the People's Energy Project, several years earlier, in opposition to the proposed Seabrook nuclear power plant. The Clamshell Alliance's coalescence began in 1975 as New England activists and organizations began to respond to U.S. President Richard Nixon's "Project Independence", which sought to build 1,000 nuclear power plants by 2000."
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Probably the SL1 accident and hippies and lefties and women all being Karen’s over something they know nothing about.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#44]
three mile island
chernobyl
the simpsons
the china syndrome
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Imagine where we would be had that not happened.

Our society with basically unlimited, extremely low cost energy. Probably still be a manufacturing powerhouse, EVs would be in widespread adoption (along with rapid advancements in battery tech to harness that).
Home reactors would probably not be a thing but decentralized micro grids probably would.

Of course all of that would have been bad for people who wanted to destroy the American middle class, our high standard of living and our position in the world. And that is why it didn't happen.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I will agree that TMI is why this country elected to release 42 years of carbon and radioactivity into the air by choosing coal over nuclear, but more recently, the brakes were put on nukes because of cheap gas prices.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Jimmy Carter
View Quote
pretty much.

Send him to clean up one Canadian reactor accident and he gets all sensitive about reprocessing fuel.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Cheaper near term energy sources are the primary reason  nuclear was put back on the dust covered shelf.
View Quote
Didn't carter pretty much shit can fuel re-processing too?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Imagine where we would be had that not happened.

Our society with basically unlimited, extremely low cost energy. Probably still be a manufacturing powerhouse, EVs would be in widespread adoption (along with rapid advancements in battery tech to harness that).
Home reactors would probably not be a thing but decentralized micro grids probably would.

Of course all of that would have been bad for people who wanted to destroy the American middle class, our high standard of living and our position in the world. And that is why it didn't happen.

View Quote

What would this country look like if all that blood and treasure and machines hadn't been trashed in the wars in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan? At the least we would have gotten the full buy of 700+ F-22s.

Those same people who pissed away all those resources on those conflicts are still in charge and they will continue to do what they do. Use 1984 and Brave New World as an instruction manual.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Jimmy Carter
View Quote

him and 3 mile island
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top