Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2022 9:54:37 AM EDT
I am attaching on the back side of the lathe, I don't want anything in my way on the wheel side. My thoughts are to either bore the center of the lead screw and turn a coupling (fasten with a setscrew or roll pin) to connect to the 10mm stepper or turn down the lead screw and install the coupling over it. What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I think I'd turn the threads off the leadscrew and go over.
Not sure on the rollpin though, unless you can install w/ leadscrew removed from saddle. I'd want to be able to support the backside while driving it in and out. Also, doesn't look like you have enough room to drive it out, inside the saddle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#2]
if you have to go through the process of modifying the screw, why not convert to a ball screw?

I think your idea of drilling into the end and making a coupler that is pinned into the end would work.  Probably the way I would do it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I would go over it with a coupling that could slip if you wreck it.  A tapered coupling would be ideal.  

ETA: A split coupling would be good, too.  McMaster has a nice variety.

https://www.mcmaster.com/shaft-couplings/
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think I'd turn the threads off the leadscrew and go over.
Not sure on the rollpin though, unless you can install w/ leadscrew removed from saddle. I'd want to be able to support the backside while driving it in and out. Also, doesn't look like you have enough room to drive it out, inside the saddle.
View Quote
I don't think I can. I removed it once and it was not all that easy with room. I did the roll pin way on my mini lathe and supported it like you said and it seems to be holding up well. Good point on the not having room though. To mount the stepper on the Z I drilled and tapped the coupling and used a setscrew that went about an 1/8 into the shaft.
Quoted:
if you have to go through the process of modifying the screw, why not convert to a ball screw?

I think your idea of drilling into the end and making a coupler that is pinned into the end would work.  Probably the way I would do it.
View Quote
I may do that in the future (probably should have just did that to start with). The X actually has zero backlash while the Z seems to have a metric ton. Either way, I will take the lead screw back out to do it.

Thank you both for the input.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would go over it with a coupling that could slip if you wreck it.  A tapered coupling would be ideal.
View Quote
That had not even crossed my mind. Now I am rethinking what I have already done on the others lol. I just took round bar and made them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That had not even crossed my mind. Now I am rethinking what I have already done on the others lol. I just took round bar and made them.
View Quote

See my edit, above.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, looking now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Drill/tap the end of the lead screw, thread in a shoulder bolt with some thread locker or jam nut, or some other means of locking it up solid.

Fit a drive coupling to that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Drill/tap the end of the lead screw, thread in a shoulder bolt with some thread locker or jam nut, or some other means of locking it up solid.

Fit a drive coupling to that.
View Quote
Great idea. Thank you. I'm working on wiring now. I did order several couplers to work it out. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Great idea. Thank you. I'm working on wiring now. I did order several couplers to work it out. Thanks again.
View Quote
Wiring tip- buy some ferrules and crimp every damn wire that you strip.  They keep the stripped ends neatly arranged thru the many many insert/removal cycles of a prototype machine.  They're cheap, $.01/ea in packs of 500 from Automation Direct.

I use this crimper for wiring 22-14ga but there are other options on both sides of the price range-
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wiring tip- buy some ferrules and crimp every damn wire that you strip.  They keep the stripped ends neatly arranged thru the many many insert/removal cycles of a prototype machine.  They're cheap, $.01/ea in packs of 500 from Automation Direct.

I use this crimper for wiring 22-14ga but there are other options on both sides of the price range-
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145430/Screenshot_20220507-163039_Chrome_jpg-2375616.JPG
View Quote
I did not know those existed and I call myself into electronics lol. I got the panel built, one stepper wired, the cnc/els control mounted and wired and re-wired my vfd so the estop works both controls and spindle. I will look those up to have them if anything when I cnc the mill but may redo all this as well if I get a wild hair. Thank you.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top