Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2024 2:27:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emt1581]
For all those that raved about them...... get over to this thread and help improve my results!!!!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Weber-Spirit-210-first-use-tonight/5-2724196/

Up until about 5-6 years ago, all I ever used were cheap or hand-me-down gas grills.  Then for father's day I was gifted a komado and it's been amazing!  However, it takes too long to heat up and isn't cheap to fuel with lump 3 or 4 times a week.  We eat keto so we're eating steaks, chicken, ribs, etc. multiple times a week.  I'm thinking buying a smaller gas grill would be a wise investment as we can turn it on, give it a few to come up to temp and then throw our dinner on.  It's just for the three of us so again, small is what I'm looking for.  

However, I'd like to avoid the propane taste.  Any suggestions on small propane grills to consider for 3-ish people?  Any tips on how to avoid the LP taste?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've owned various propane grills in my life but I've never experienced the "LP taste" before.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:32:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Agilt] [#2]
I’ve never noticed a “propane” taste.

I’m happy with my Weber. Look for a size that you feel is appropriate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Propane taste? You just mean the lack of flavor imparted from wood/charcoal.
You can't get rid of what isn't there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a Weber kettle grill and charcoal chimney to avoid the propane taste.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The Weber q grills make awesome tasting food! There are a couple sizes but I love cooking on mine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]
King of the Hill - How To Grill a Steak
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I was gifted a Weber go anywhere gas grill. I use it frequently when I'm in a time crunch or if it is raining. I will raise my garage door and just set it right outside and cook away. It will hold six 1/3 lb burgers easily, three or four chicken breasts and two-four steaks depending on size.

Weber go anywhere grill.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lee_Ho_Fooks:
I was gifted a Weber go anywhere gas grill. I use it frequently when I'm in a time crunch or if it is raining. I will raise my garage door and just set it right outside and cook away. It will hold six 1/3 lb burgers easily, three or four chicken breasts and two-four steaks depending on size.

Weber go anywhere grill.
View Quote

Have the charcoal version of that, and the only real reasons I got a kettle were size and lack of heat in the winter.

Was absolutely great for grilling for one.

That said, grab any quality built gas grill and go to town.  Not sure why people talk about an imaginary gas taste.  Sure is handy to just turn on and go in minutes vs 30 minutes or so for my charcoal kettle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:06:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brachiosaur] [#10]
Originally Posted By StanleySpidowski:
The Weber q grills make awesome tasting food! There are a couple sizes but I love cooking on mine.
View Quote

I love my 220, keep it on the front porch and use it regularly. Two things I'll say though- it doesn't get above about 400 in the winter (not surprising) and while I bought it for home and camping it's definitely a compromise. It's big enough for me and the missus but it's too big for truck camping, it takes up a lot of room in my suburban. I have a little collapsible triangle grill I want to try out soon. Cheap (used to be anyway) Aldi top round with some pepper and Tony's, boil some roots and you have a decent meal for under 10 bucks.

Attachment Attached File

Not my best result but probably my best pic.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]
This little tabletop grill works pretty well.  I am sure that there are other options that will work as well.

Amazon Product
  • GAS GRILL: Powered by liquid propane gas, this grill runs on a 1-pound propane gas tank, not included. It reaches cooking temperatures quickly, delivers high temps and maintains even heat.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JVD:
Propane taste? You just mean the lack of flavor imparted from wood/charcoal.
You can't get rid of what isn't there.
View Quote

This. The flavor difference is the lack of charcoal taste.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Agilt:
I’ve never noticed a “propane” taste.

I’m happy with my Weber. Look for a size that you feel is appropriate.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
I've owned various propane grills in my life but I've never experienced the "LP taste" before.
View Quote

The "Propane Taste" the OP is mentioning is called MEAT, instead of the taste of partially burned lighter fluid and the trash that was present when most charcoal was made.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Taste the meat, not the heat.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#16]
OP -I inherited a LP grill a few years ago, after a long period of being against them, and I am a convert. I cook on it regularly. I just cooked some chicken thighs for dinner yesterday. Wife's family coming: burgers and dogs for everyone on the back patio (keeps the house cleaner, too ) I cook steaks on it when the weather is amenable.

Just recognize that it's a grill, not a smoker. It's for high temp quick(ish) cooking. Don't put a brisket on it at 225 and leave it in there for 12 hours. that WILL taste like car exhaust. For burgers, chops, chicken parts - they're not on there long enough to absorb it.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Can the fuel/air ratio not be adjusted on today's grills?
(Admittedly I haven't used a gas grill in probably 35 years. It's always been charcoal.)
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Using a charcoal grill  and a 20 lb bag will last you a long time if you use 10 to 20 briskets laid out flat you can cook an immense amount of food on them.

A cheap $14 Walmart Grill or a cast iron hibachi.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#19]
State checks out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I got this for camping, but now use it as my garage/bad weather grill and it's been great so far.

Blackstone Adventure

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jaime1982:
State checks out.
View Quote

Prolly an Eagles fan.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:38:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#22]
don't get some tiny little tailgate grill, you'll regret it

a nice sized 4 burner is like $500 from home depot and the like

fucking lulz on "propane taste"
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:39:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 917-30] [#23]
I have a cheap little propane grill that I use for camping and I have never noticed a propane taste. I find that I can get steaks to taste like they were cooked on charcoal by rubbing 3-4 drops of Liquid Smoke on each side before grilling them. Don't want to overdo it though or the steaks will taste like they came from Burger King.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Same here.

I've been using a Weber Q grill for years and never noticed a LP taste.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:

I love my 220, keep it on the front porch and use it regularly. Two things I'll say though- it doesn't get above about 400 in the winter (not surprising) and while I bought it for home and camping it's definitely a compromise. It's big though for me and the missus but it's too big for truck camping, it takes up a lot of room in my suburban. I have a little collapsible triangle grill I want to try out soon. Cheap (used to be anyway) Aldi top round with some pepper and Tony's, boil some roots and you have a decent meal for under 10 bucks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/516916/IMG_20230407_215214568_jpg-3207101.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I love my 220, keep it on the front porch and use it regularly. Two things I'll say though- it doesn't get above about 400 in the winter (not surprising) and while I bought it for home and camping it's definitely a compromise. It's big though for me and the missus but it's too big for truck camping, it takes up a lot of room in my suburban. I have a little collapsible triangle grill I want to try out soon. Cheap (used to be anyway) Aldi top round with some pepper and Tony's, boil some roots and you have a decent meal for under 10 bucks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/516916/IMG_20230407_215214568_jpg-3207101.JPG

Whenever we end up replacing our gas grill, two big things will be the ability to convert to NG, and ability to heat up in the winter.  I've been happy with my charcoal kettle to be able to grill in cold weather, I'm assuming because it's better sealed than the gas.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

Whenever we end up replacing our gas grill, two big things will be the ability to convert to NG, and ability to heat up in the winter.  I've been happy with my charcoal kettle to be able to grill in cold weather, I'm assuming because it's better sealed than the gas.
View All Quotes

I've never had an gas grill not be able to grill in cold weather. It would have to barely work in the summer to not be able to overcome the ambient temp during the winter.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:09:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skydivesnake] [#28]
Amazon Product
  • DUEL FUEL - Compatible with both butane (Fuel not included) and propane fuel (Fuel not included), Operates on a single butane cartridge 8 oz or a propane cylinder 16.4 oz , Propane converter Regulator Included, **With Propane connect the adapter hose to the stove first before connecting to the 16 oz Propane tank***

Fantastic tabletop grill, uses butane cans or propane, I use mine 2-3 times a week
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#29]

I've never had an gas grill not be able to grill in cold weather. It would have to barely work in the summer to not be able to overcome the ambient temp during the winter.
View All Quotes

propane boils at -44
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:14:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnowMule] [#30]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:
propane boils at -44
View Quote
Lower temperatures will still decrease the pressure, which may not be enough for the regulator/appliance to use.  pV=nRT
I fight with that with my trailer furnace in the winter.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SnowMule:
Lower temperatures will still decrease the pressure, which may not be enough for the regulator/appliance to use.  pV=nRT
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SnowMule:
propane boils at -44

if your tank freezes up you just need a bigger tank
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StanleySpidowski] [#32]

I love my 220, keep it on the front porch and use it regularly. Two things I'll say though- it doesn't get above about 400 in the winter (not surprising) and while I bought it for home and camping it's definitely a compromise. It's big enough for me and the missus but it's too big for truck camping, it takes up a lot of room in my suburban. I have a little collapsible triangle grill I want to try out soon. Cheap (used to be anyway) Aldi top round with some pepper and Tony's, boil some roots and you have a decent meal for under 10 bucks.

View Quote

Bought the 1200,yes its a bit of a compromise on size. I customized it to run two griddles(drilled extra 1/2' vent holes so the flame doesn't go out) and its just right.Also set it up with a quick connect to hook to the trailer in non griz land and can also run it off cannisters If I want to isolate my kitchen in yes griz land.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Compromise and get a small pellet grill most of the convenience of LP grill with real smoke and pretty much set & forget temp control.  Pellet grills not great for searing.

You can also find an insertable LP burner for some of the egg style grills.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

^
^
^
This
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Weber Q series
Buy once, cry once…
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#36]

propane boils at -44
View All Quotes

propane boils at -44

I've used my grill into the teens, didn't have an issue.
You cooking on Mars?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

I find your lack of sear disturbing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#38]
don't get some tiny little tailgate grill, you'll regret it

a nice sized 4 burner is like $500 from home depot and the like

fucking lulz on "propane taste"
View Quote

I got a decent sized 4-burner from Lowe's a month or so ago for just over $200.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Hank Hill told me the propane taste does not come from propane.  He says it is the grease drippings flaring up that give you the taste you are noticing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vegitan] [#40]
I would recommend the reteq bullseye 380.  It's been great for the wife and I.

Propane is gross

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Vegitan:
I would recommend the reteq bullseye 380.  It's been great for the wife and I.

Propane is gross

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252483/1000000402_jpg-3207571.JPG
View Quote

no, it isn't

and your training wheels thing is embarrassing

for anything where it matters you ought to be splitting wood

i have a gas grill for quick and easy and i have a BBQ pit that takes big chunks of wood for when it's time to do real BBQ shit.  anything in between is you convincing yourself you're BBQing when you're really not
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#42]
If you're grilling 3-4 times a week you're gonna want something that's going to be quality. Get a Weber. The Qs are nice but are limited on space. Get a 2 or 3 burner Spirit or Genesis. Gets hotter and with multiple burners and space you can have multiple zones when cooking.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drake] [#43]
Get a blackstine griddle
Or the bullseye pellet grill
Propane sucks
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By primo:
If you're grilling 3-4 times a week you're gonna want something that's going to be quality. Get a Weber. The Qs are nice but are limited on space. Get a 2 or 3 burner Spirit or Genesis. Gets hotter and with multiple burners and space you can have multiple zones when cooking.
View Quote

Pretty set on a 210.  Seems to be about as much surface space as my kamado but should be MUCH cheaper to run.  Only thing I saw one review say is they don't get hot enough for a good sear.  Thoughts?

Also trying to see if these ever go on sale.  Otherwise it looks like a pretty universal $449 for one.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Emt1581:

Pretty set on a 210.  Seems to be about as much surface space as my kamado but should be MUCH cheaper to run.  Only thing I saw one review say is they don't get hot enough for a good sear.  Thoughts?

Also trying to see if these ever go on sale.  Otherwise it looks like a pretty universal $449 for one.

Thanks
View All Quotes

Thanks

I was looking for the 210 myself.  Some of the 210's are the only webers where the sides fold down.  I ended up with a 315 because costco got them and then dropped the price $50 bringing it to around $550. I have been happy so far and have used it 20 times or so in the last couple months.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#46]

Thanks
View All Quotes

Thanks

They won't go on sale this time of year.

I got my weber traveler for 50% off, but it was the fall, and walmart had just marked them down.

I only use it for tailgating. At home, I've got a 5 burner stainless something from lowes/home depot/wherever when on sale.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By jasoncar40:

I got my weber traveler for 50% off, but it was the fall, and walmart had just marked them down.

I only use it for tailgating. At home, I've got a 5 burner stainless something from lowes/home depot/wherever when on sale.

https://product-images.weber.com/Grill-Images/Gas/9010001BR_1800x1800.png?w=800&h=800&auto=compress%2cformat
View Quote

Maybe Father's Day or Memorial Day??

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jasoncar40:

https://product-images.weber.com/Grill-Images/Gas/9010001BR_1800x1800.png?w=800&h=800&auto=compress%2cformat

You might get lucky, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I've never seen Weber do traditional/frequent sales.

I've only seen sales when they transition models, or at the end of summer at large retailers to clear out summer stock.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By showmeballer:
I got this for camping, but now use it as my garage/bad weather grill and it's been great so far.

Blackstone Adventure

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157230/Screen_Shot_2024-05-06_at_2_31_34_PM_png-3207136.JPG
View Quote

Blackstone 36" master race checking in.

Greasy spoon cooking at its finest.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Propane taste?  Never heard of that.  I place a block of Hickory or Pecan on my last burner on my 4 burner Weber grill to get a little smoke flavor while grilling for the 3 of us.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top