Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/1/2018 11:22:42 AM EDT
I have a Weber Charcoal Kettle Grill and a Rec Tec Pellet Grill.

I want to add a propane grill just to be able to grill even more often when I don't have the time or patience to mess with a charcoal chimney.

Plus if I want my wife to grill more plus start teaching my oldest son to grill the propane grill will help.

I want a Weber 3 burner grill.

I am mainly looking at these two:
https://www.amazon.com/Weber-45010001-Spirit-Grill-Outdoor/dp/B077JTCMKQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1527865777&sr=8-5&keywords=weber+propane+gas+grill

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-46510001-Spirit-Liquid-Propane/dp/B0098HR1FI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527865777&sr=8-3&keywords=weber+propane+gas+grill

I am not really sure what the benefit of one over the other is.  There is also the option below but is it really worth $200 more?

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-61010001-Genesis-Liquid-Propane/dp/B01IF1GV4E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1527865777&sr=8-4&keywords=weber+propane+gas+grill
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the second one. It’s fantastic.

I guess they changed the look recently.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Genesis® II E-310 Gas Grill last year. Love it.

Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Just picked up the genesis last week. Haven't even used it yet. I think it has a much bigger grilling surface than the first two. Didn't think the spirits were big enough for 4 people plus left overs.   Not sure if the spirit has the wire surface  or cast/enameled one.  I know the genesis has the ladder.

Gas grills be expensive.  The charcoal grills were much heavier and better built for a quarter of the price.

eta. First link comparing them said spirit is better "value"

second link said you get 110sqin more surface, bigger burners and better stainless with the genesis.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just picked up the genesis last week. Haven't even used it yet. I think it has a much bigger grilling surface than the first two. Didn't think the spirits were big enough for 4 people plus left overs.   Not sure if the spirit has the wire surface  or cast/enameled one.  I know the genesis has the ladder.

Gas grills be expensive.  The charcoal grills were much heavier and better built for a quarter of the price.
View Quote
The spirit E-310 model actually has 529 square inch cooking area vs 513 for the genesis E-310.  Both have enamel coate cast grates.

You may have been looking at the Spirit E-210.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Not going to study the 3 to determine the differences.  Normal the differences are BTU's, ignition system, case/frame materials, grid material, flavorizer bar material, and possibly burner material (although perhaps Webber is only stainless on that now).

I think the Spirit is their base line, with Genesis being a step up-but I suspect that is a base line Genesis.  I have a pre-spirit and an higher end Genesis.  My older pre-spirit had good btu (spirit was a step down iirc), but it was not maintenance free.  I have replaced the burners, the flavorizer bars, and the grid.  That said, I got it for $25 at a yard sale with 2 full tanks of propane and have gotten 15 years out of it so far with $200 of replacement parts.  The frame has been failing that entire time, but it has not broke entirely yet-might weld a new one when it does and try for another 15 years (most of the replacement parts were upgrades).  The full stainless Genisis is 10 years old and has no apparent aging, no repairs, Hell the igniters even works if It change  It the battery occasionally.

all units you listed have have coated grids and not sure about the flavorizer  bars (these rust quicker than the grids). These will fail but I suspect upgraded replacements are available.  My bet is suspect 5 years out of them before you need to spend 2-300 upgrading them.  Good thing though is the rest of the unit will probably hold up-the grill before the Webber needed the 2 year rebuild as well, but was falling apart by year 4 and no amount of money was going to fix that.

Not studying the 3 hard, the Genisis has an upgraded ignition, more BTU, and stainless flavorizer bars (and possibly more of them).  Get what you can afford, but youdo get more with the Genisis.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I also have the second one you linked, great grill!
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not going to study the 3 to determine the differences.  Normal the differences are BTU's, ignition system, case/frame materials, grid material, flavorizer bar material, and possibly burner material (although perhaps Webber is only stainless on that now).

I think the Spirit is their base line, with Genesis being a step up-but I suspect that is a base line Genesis.  I have a pre-spirit and an higher end Genesis.  My older pre-spirit had good btu (spirit was a step down iirc), but it was not maintenance free.  I have replaced the burners, the flavorizer bars, and the grid.  That said, I got it for $25 at a yard sale with 2 full tanks of propane and have gotten 15 years out of it so far with $200 of replacement parts.  The frame has been failing that entire time, but it has not broke entirely yet-might weld a new one when it does and try for another 15 years (most of the replacement parts were upgrades).  The full stainless Genisis is 10 years old and has no apparent aging, no repairs, Hell the igniters even works if It change  It the battery occasionally.

all units you listed have have coated grids and flavorizer bars. These will fail but I suspect upgraded replacements are available.  My bet is suspect 5 years out of them before you need to spend 2-300 upgrading them.  Good thing though is the rest of the unit will probably hold up-more grill before the Webber needed the 2 year rebuild as well, but was falling apart by year 4 and no amount of money was going to fix that.
View Quote
It looks like the Genesis has 7500 more BTU's.  30,000 vs 37,500.

I guess my main concern is build quality.  It will be on my porch under a roof.  If it rains really hard it may get wet but otherwise will be protected.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had a Genesis for years (3rd one) - I like the 36,000 BTU output and overall grill size.
I have a side burner but have not used it much (not enough heat). It stays outside all year round and I run it despite the snow. Every few years I replace the grills and flavoring bars, and it keeps on running.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I guess my main concern is build quality.  It will be on my porch under a roof.  If it rains really hard it may get wet but otherwise will be protected.
View Quote
If your main concern is build quality, the Genesis is way better.  Made in USA (vs the Spirit made in China with a little flimsier material)
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine are uncovered in the yard.  The silver's frame is toast, but it is probably 25 years old.  The Genisis is a better unit, but after repairing the Siver, can not say it cooks an better.  The old silver probably has more BTU/sq in than any of the new units.  The battery powered Electric ignition does blow the pizo one away.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Option 3 is built solid.  I have one and it works well.   If you have natural gas at your place hook it up, no more LP tanks.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've got an older Genesis E310, which was still made in USA. Bought it 5 years ago and just replaced the enameled cast iron grates with stainless grates, probably need to do the flavorizer bars too. Stays under my covered back patio. The rest of it is holding up nicely. You've got to jump up to the Genesis LX to get a USA model now.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I have owned multiple weber grills but this is based on my experience:

I have now the 4 burner model with the sear area on my all stainless grill.  It can hit 700 degree in the summer time based on the cover thermometer.  You want lots of room not only for cooking but for indirect barbecuing.  You lose real estate fast when you use that method of cooking.  I cook for up to twelve people and depending on the meat cooked can have issues with indirect heating all the food at once.

I cook in the winter and the 3 burner stoves will only hit 400 degrees on cold days.  My 4 burner still can hit 550 to 600 degrees.

I have not had any issues with my grills breaking or offing apart are I clean them regularly and cover them, or storage them in a garage when not in use.  I oil the grates religiously to prevent sticking and rusting.  I have a 2003 Weber from their spirit line still going without any issues.

I grill all the time in all weather too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Get the Genesis if you can afford it. The build quality is better. That said the Spirit is still built better than most grills and if you keep it out of the elements (mostly winter) it will last a very very long time. I own a Spirit E-320.

One word of advice...the enamel coated grates suck. The enamel will chip eventually and begin to flake off leaving you with fucked up rusty grates. If you can, get a model with stainless grates. If not there's a guy on EBay named RCPlanebuyer who makes grates out of solid 304 stainless. I upgraded my grill to his grates and love it. The heavy thick steel holds heat perfectly resulting in great sear lines. Also being stainless they will outlast the grill and they require zero maintenance unlike bare cast iron grates.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the four burner version of the Genesis.  It's very good.  If someone stole it, I would buy the same grill again.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I also chose the Genesis 310, in natural gas.

Sturdy, heavy, and awesome.

Do any of you Weber guys have and use the iGrill thing?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy the Weber genesis that comes with stainless grates so u don't have to replace the porcelain grates after 5 years..
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Genesis
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy the Weber genesis that comes with stainless grates so u don't have to replace the porcelain grates after 5 years..
View Quote
You got 5 years out of them? Lucky.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#20]
The Weber gas grill is a nice addition to your collection.
I also have a pellet grill and Weber kettle charcoal grill in addition to my Weber gas grill.
My gas grill is a Weber Genesis Gold natural gas that is plumbed into my back porch.
I'm a fan of the the Genesis grills and would recommend that one.
Mine is also on the covered back porch but weather here isn't much of a concern - my Genesis is stainless steel, ~15 years old and still works like new.
Even though they are under a covered porch, I keep the covers on my gas and charcoal grills, I use my pellet grill so often that I just leave it uncovered.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did. Probably could have kept the left half that I actually cooked on most of the time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had a Genesis Silver B for 14 years. Replaced the regulator, grates and flavorizer bars about 4 years ago. That's it. I did use a good cover when not in use. That helps a lot.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I spent about 6 weeks pondering this exact question. I ended up with the spirit 330 (upgraded version of your second choice) and couldnt be happier.

For me it came down to wanting an enclosed bottom and the genesis no longer has them without bumping up to the SS$$ model.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually more like 7 but I kept my grill covered at the old house and it under porch at the new house.

As mentioned the Ebay seller has the stainless grates for like $69 vs $119 OEM.   The Ebay grates have larger diameter bars and less of them vs the OEM.  If that matters
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Genesis is always the answer when it comes to gas grills
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I just got a Genesis II LX with side burner. I really like a side burner for boiling shrimp, clams, lobster & stuff that would stink up the house.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#27]
The Spirit is ChiCom stuff, The Genesis is Made in USA

I have the 2 burner Spirit I bought as a demo model for $250 with a full LP tank

It's a little small, but cooks well
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
plus start teaching my oldest son to grill the propane grill will help.
View Quote

Teach him to play with fire by using wood or charcoal. That's a better lesson than, turn this knob to 11 and taste nothing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Genesis. This Gen1 is about 20 years old and the body is solid. I cleaned up the badge and replaced the flavorizer bars and grills, should go another 10. The wood needs help and the body could use some paint. I gave it back to my dad who bought it initially, I had had it for the last 10 years. If new ones are as well made you should be GTG.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just got a Genesis II LX with side burner. I really like a side burner for boiling shrimp, clams, lobster & stuff that would stink up the house.
View Quote
Deer skulls...
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Genesis. This Gen1 is about 20 years old and the body is solid. I cleaned up the badge and replaced the flavorizer bars and grills, should go another 10. The wood needs help and the body could use some paint. I gave it back to my dad who bought it initially, I had had it for the last 10 years. If new ones are as well made you should be GTG.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79749/IMG_7643-562249.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79749/IMG_7644-562253.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79749/IMG_7646-562254.JPG
View Quote
Yep!
I inherited one of that exact model from my dad who bought his new about 25 years ago.
Mine looks almost the same as yours (mine still has the swing-out side tables), and yep, the wood on mine is in about the same shape as yours.
But it still works like new 25 years later!
I didn't need it since I'm well equipped with grills, so last week I gave it to a friend who really wanted it - he's happy as can be!
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a Weber Spirit E310. I've had it for over a year now.  It's a nice grill that will get really hot (600+) in a hurry if you want it to...BUT, the burners have already rusted out to the point of where I need to place them, and so have the shields over them.  Other than that, it's a great grill. The main body is cast iron, so it holds heat well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Call Weber and have them warranty it
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#35]
My old silver is like the red Genesis above, except it is black with a plastic side and pullout table - the frame between the plastic and the grill is almost rusted completely gone.  The SS Genisis apparently has a metal floor to the cart, it is rusted through but everything else looks great.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought an old 3 burner off Craigslist that someone completely refurbished for like $150.
Looks like new, works like new and I have zero problems with it.

Had I not found that, I would have bought an old one for $50 and refurbished it myself. There are
instructional videos on YouTube and you can buy all the replacement parts just about anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I have the second one two burner version. It is awesome. Get a good cover for it and it will last for decades. My uncle has one that is 17 years old, and my dad has one that is 12 years and going strong.

I like the new way they hang the propane tank, it has a gauge on it. The drip pans are so easy to clean out too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I just dont see the need. Charcoal grills are so mich cheaper, tastebetter and are ready to go really fasr if you use a chimney
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Needing a new grill as well. 1-2 people is all it will be used for,dont need a big grill

Anyone used a Q 3200 Weber?

Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Get the Genesis and get a four burner. I thought a three burner would be fine, but I find myself trying to grill 3 or 4 meals of meat at once and the three burner means I have to grill in shifts.

When we were looking at grills, I wasn't much of a cook so we went with the spirit. Now that I know what I'm doing and we grill weekly, I really wish I'd have gone with the Genesis.

Learn from my mistakes.

ETA - build quality - my spirit seems to be mostly fine, except a wheel broke off when we moved. Not sure how it happened or whose fault it was. Other than that, it sits on my deck...used to be under a cover but the cover got all decrepit and I've not yet replaced it. I may not so I have an excuse to upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just dont see the need. Charcoal grills are so mich cheaper, tastebetter and are ready to go really fasr if you use a chimney
View Quote
Here's my justifications:
Sometimes I just don't want to fire up the oven in the kitchen during the hot summer days so I prefer to keep the heat outside and the gas grill can cook things that I don't want smoke flavored.
Also, when I'm reverse searing a steak (or whatever meat) on my pellet grill I need a very hot grill to do the final sear - I don't want to fire up a chimney of charcoal just to sear a steak for 90 seconds when I can simply crank up all three burners on the gas grill and it will be at 650+ degrees in five minutes for searing.
Since I have both a gas grill and a charcoal grill - I can assure you that the gas grill is ready to go much much faster than a chimney of coals.
I grill outside almost every night of the year - charcoal cost would for that type of grilling is not cost effective for me.

I'm not saying that a gas grill is better than a charcoal grill, but for me it has its advantages for certain things - besides everyone should have a charcoal grill, a pellet grill, and a gas grill....
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have both.

Gas is great when I went to push a button and start cooking.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Have the Spirit 210.  I didn't need  large grill, the two burner was enough for my family.  We love the grill, cooks everything the same temperature in different parts of the grill and it's solidly constructed.  I don't think I could go back to a non-Weber grill now.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I also have the second one you linked, great grill!
View Quote
Ditto on the 2nd one. Enough grill for me
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#45]
You guys are too rich for my blood

I got this $99 grill from HD a couple months ago and have used it 5 or 6 times and it works perfect for 2 people

The propane tank cost 1/2 as much as the whole grill
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
Pictures of your supermodel wife?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
Here's mine
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Two burner Spirit takes a long time to come up to 500 degrees. Really my only complaint.

And the Chinese manufacture. Two complaints.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Check this thread from 6 years ago with pics of my supermodel grill. Towards the bottom.

Where's yours?

weber
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top