Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2021 3:25:19 PM EDT
Like most other basic white girls, my wife has decided she wants a stationary bike. Mostly because she can't run at the moment because of Achilles injuries, but also because she is a basic white girl. Full disclosure, I enjoy spin classes and would probably use it a decent amount as well. I used to be a serious triathlete, but I'm a few years removed from consistent cycling so I'm not sure what the best options are these days.

Peloton is obviously the most popular, but also the most expensive. Are they worth it or are one of the other brands as good or better for less money? I want a bike with a built in screen. Do any of the stationary bikes allow you to simulate actual rides like Zwift will?

Im not opposed to spending more money if it's truly worth it. I'm a big fan of buy once cry once. That being said, I'd like some insight before running out and buying a Peloton Bike+. So fellow arfcommers, what is everyone using these days?

Since I've been here long enough to know the rules, below is a pic of my wife and I with the cow elk she shot last season.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The weather is changing.  Buy her a swimming pool instead.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#2]
why not buy a real bike and get a stationary trainer thing for it?
then it can be used outside or inside...i've got one in front of the big tv in the living room...can have the wheel off the thing and outside in about two minutes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why not buy a real bike and get a stationary trainer thing for it?
then it can be used outside or inside...i've got one in front of the big tv in the living room...can have the wheel off the thing and outside in about two minutes.
View Quote
We've talked about going this route, but neither of us feel like she'd really ride outside much if at all. If she wanted to get into outside riding I'd buy her a road bike in an instant. This is mostly for the convenience of being able to jump into a class at home whenever it fits your schedule.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had a Peloton for around 8 months now and have 1,800 miles on it. I really like it.

The bike itself is ok, it is heavy and stout so riding is secure with no movement. It is dead quiet which is nice.

What really sets them apart is the classes they offer. They have a ton of different classes for all skill levels with a very good group of professional instructors. They spend a lot on music licensing and put a lot of work into making great classes and it really shows.

If money is really tight you could get a cheaper bike and use the Peloton app. But matching resistance to the instructor will be never be quite right.

Yes it costs some money but investing in your health is not a bad thing.

People here will bitch about the cost but then will spend the same amount on a Guchi Glock that they never shoot.

If you have the cash I highly recommend it. If you find you don't use it, you can sell it easily on FB in minutes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Similar story, wife had second baby, struggled to lose baby weight and wanted the Peloton. This was 2018. I was into running and lifting, but neck issues really limited what I could do. So like you, I was reluctant on the price and use, but as I looked at it thought that I may actually use it.

3 years down the road and all I can say is we’ve gotten our money’s worth out of the bike. We also utilize the app subscription for the strength classes, outdoor, and just purchased a non peloton treadmill and stream the running classes. Bike and core classes helped me get over my neck issues and I’m running at a high level again.

10 years ago I had time to go to the gym and I could tailor my own workouts. Now with 2 kids and a career, the classes are great. Monthly price for the family is less than a gym membership.

Finally, a lot of people say, get the app and buy a cheap spin bike. I said the same thing to my wife. I was wrong, you need the bike to do the classes. Bike has a lot of metrics. Leaderboard is motivating if you’re competitive. You need the bike metrics as well to do the power zone classes.

Side note, you don’t need the peloton treadmill to do the tread classes. MPH is MPH. Incline is incline.

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone used any of the Nordic Track bikes? There is a used S22i for sale local to me. It actually has some features I really like including google maps and automated incline decline which peloton does not have.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Wife had a knee replacement over a year ago and ready to get the other one done in May. She is 66 and has been athletic all her life. She had been doing spin classes at YMCA prior to COVID on recumbent exercise bikes.  Son in law has a peloton and wife hated the seat and having to be in that stretched out ridding position.

We went to an athletic equipment retail store and we both tested lots of exercise bikes, and I suggest you do the same. We bought a Hoist Lemond RC recumbent bike. It kicks my ass every day, but I am improving. I spend 20 minutes on the bike, 30 minutes on my treadmill, and then lift. Wife alternates between the bike and treadmill, does yoga and lifts.

We will get our sales tax refunded because her knee doc wrote a script for the bike.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Concept2 BikeErg. I use it nearly every day (unless it’s a run day or a rest day... my knees aren’t what they used to be thanks to the Marines and aging). I build my own workouts but occasionally supplement with classes found on Apple Fitness a couple times a week, since I also have an Apple Watch. Apple’s offerings are great, but the bike isn’t “connected” and really can’t be to the level that exists now. I’ve researched bikes a lot over the past year since I’ve found that I use the heck out of mine, and while at the moment I can’t justify the change financially, if I could go back in time I’d have gone with the Peloton. I feel it is the overall better product for the purpose.... IF you are going to use the classes. If you aren’t going to use the classes, then options open up and I love my Concept2 in that use case.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#9]
My daughter and her boyfriend bought a peloton earlier this year, they use it almost daily, and I have been using it for about 6 weeks now, my problem is I may go a week or two where I hurt to much to use it, but whatever use I do get has to help.. I will say this, the peloton does live up to what they say it will do...it is actually a pretty good piece of gear and the programs work...
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has anyone used any of the Nordic Track bikes? There is a used S22i for sale local to me. It actually has some features I really like including google maps and automated incline decline which peloton does not have.
View Quote

One of my girlfriend's friends has an older S10i with the same features.  It is pretty slick.

Do the S10i or S22i.  The S15i doesn't have an HDMI output that allows you to put it on your TV.

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Not being a dick, Kreitler rollers or

ride your bike.

I just got off my ass.

Ride your bike.

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Joroto X2 - magnetic resistance & belt drive
$440
Silent, sturdy, computer is not great, but it works.
No screen, but it’s rack may hold an ipad or phone.
Peloton app subscription is an option.

https://jorotofitness.com/products/joroto-magnetic-indoor-cycling-bike-belt-drive-exercise-bike-with-multiuse-holder-for-tablet-and-water-bottle
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife and I love our peloton and can’t recommend it enough.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one - The things you mentioned were major selling points for me.  iFit subscription costs money and is included with purchase price, so consider that if buying used.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife gave me a peloton for Christmas.  I think it was mostly so she could use it and she hoped I would shed a few pounds. I honestly didn't think I'd like it very much, but have found it surprisingly engaging and have both used it much more and enjoyed using it much more than I thought I would.  I have never enjoyed just a regular spin bike for more than 20 minutes without getting impossibly bored, but I've knocked out sessions on this from 45 min to 75 min without getting bored.  (It does get a little cumbersome after an hour), and plenty of classes are geared to get a solid cardio session in in just 30 minutes.  There is an class style, and an instructor for almost everyone on there.  I've found I really enjoy their power zone style classes.

The bike itself seems to be top quality, but the only real reason to get a Peloton is the classes, and possibly the community depending on how you feel about social media. I like to ride outdoors as well, but with kids it's much easier to hop on the peloton for 30 minutes as opposed to trying to get out for a real ride outdoors, and an advantage over a trainer with a real bike for indoors is its always set up, and you're not trying to move furniture to get in front of the TV or get the iPad set up just right.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty ballsy posting a pic of you and your wife in blackface.

On your topic, I’m interested in the responses as well, though I’m too lazy to follow through.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a cousin with one and he loves it for the auto incline feature.  Talked to his dad earlier this week and he is getting one as well.

I am on my 2nd Nordic Track elliptical.  I bought an extended warranty with the first and a certified Nordic Track repair guy knocked the belt holder out of line when replacing a bearing.  It started chewing through belts every couple of months.  It was not easy but they finally replaced it.  I got full credit for the original price to pick any exercise machine from the Nordic Track site.  They were having a 50% off sale so I ended up with a huge upgrade.  

My wife and I put about 3,000 miles on the first one before it started having issues and we have about 1,500 on this one.  I need to tighten the belt a little and that's it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an Echelon. Like Peleton, it has online classes but I don’t really use them. I just watch TV or listen to music while I ride. It’s really quiet. I use the screen to track distance/speed/calories and sync it to my Apple Watch to track heart rate.

I bought it at Costco.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the Schwinn IC4 which apparently is the same as the Bowflex C6. I use the Peloton app and really enjoy it. If you don't have the Peloton bike the app is like 13.99 a month. If you do then I believe it's 40 a month. If you don't have the bike then a lot of your stats won't be saved in the Peloton app you have to use a secondary app. If money is an issue then I say go that route. I enjoy my bike and ride almost every day. If money isn't an issue then I'd say get the Peloton bike.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Get an airdyne so you can both hate your workout and look stupid while doing it.

Those things suck, but they kick your ass so hard.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Also pony'd up for a peloton and really love it. They offer a lot of strength classes and others that we also enjoy. Can use the bike screen to do them as well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Buy them all, so the commercials stop.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#23]
FWIW, my PT, who's a cyclist, got the NordicTrack S22i and he and his wife love it. Was less than the Peloton and has a lot of super great features. The yearly membership of $300 to get all the cool stuff sounds worth it. When I asked him about it 2 wks ago he said that morning his wife told him, "I'm gonna ride around Paris today," and she did. Guess the graphics are sick as well as the resistance to simulate hills, wind, etc, are pretty outstanding.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Get an airdyne so you can both hate your workout and look stupid while doing it.

Those things suck, but they kick your ass so hard.
View Quote

That's why we bought one.  More intense workout, less time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are interesting features, I guess it depends on would you prefer to ride with the maps or with classes? It's pretty well known that Peloton has a much wider variety of top instructors and classes. But that only matters if you want to take them instead of doing your own routes.

Auto incline/decline, meh. I guess it would be interesting to have but I don't feel like I am missing anything. Any indoor bike is just a simulation of riding a real bike, lot of things are missing (wind, balance, steering, braking, etc). If I want incline work I ride my real bike.

For me, and many others, the quality of the Peloton classes push it to the top.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Run outside. It's nice now and the rona doesn't like uv light from the sun
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife had a huffy for a while that was stationary as fuck so i took it to the goodwill
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I prefer a smart trainer with real bike and the zwift app.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Just came to see some peloton spoof commercials
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've had a Peloton for around 8 months now and have 1,800 miles on it. I really like it.

The bike itself is ok, it is heavy and stout so riding is secure with no movement. It is dead quiet which is nice.

What really sets them apart is the classes they offer. They have a ton of different classes for all skill levels with a very good group of professional instructors. They spend a lot on music licensing and put a lot of work into making great classes and it really shows.

If money is really tight you could get a cheaper bike and use the Peloton app. But matching resistance to the instructor will be never be quite right.

Yes it costs some money but investing in your health is not a bad thing.

People here will bitch about the cost but then will spend the same amount on a Guchi Glock that they never shoot.

If you have the cash I highly recommend it. If you find you don't use it, you can sell it easily on FB in minutes.
View Quote

this. Peloton is excellent, as a person that hates anything remotely cardio I absolutely loved it but unfortunately the wife didn't care for it so I returned it and got her a Bowflex stepper thing shes used maybe 4 times in 1.5 years. When I get these kids out of my house I'm buying a Peloton for myself.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I use the bowflex bike with Peloton classes on my tablet or phone.  There's a known conversion table for the Peloton vs. Bowflex resistances that I copied from etsy and taped to my bike.  No worries, works like a charm.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Run outside. It's nice now and the rona doesn't like uv light from the sun
View Quote

Running sucks though. Really, it's the worst.

I'm biased though, training for sports ruined me on running, I hate it now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I prefer a smart trainer with real bike and the zwift app.
View Quote
I'm torn on this. It seems like serious cyclist have gone the direction you've described. I have a road bike I could use with this setup, but the wife does not. If she has any interest in doing actual riding outside this is the direction we'd go.

Does Zwift offer interactive classes or is it all ride simulations and virtual races?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top