Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2024 12:18:00 AM EDT
Between incendiary,  AP, and API.... which has the least utility?  

Need to sight in some cheap glass on my M82a1 and trying to decide which rounds to send for sub 100yd shots.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:18:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Between those? AP. But why not get a can of ball for that?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#2]
You don’t have any M33?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Regular lead .50 ammo, but between your choices, incendiary.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Dummy rounds
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Useful is a weird question. But incendiary could be a fire hazard depending on condition and backstop.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#6]
APIT

AP is precious, don't waste it
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 797hp:
You don’t have any M33?
View Quote

A handful of rounds,  and then some cast bullets I haven't pc'd or sized...or loaded.  

But I've got plenty of the three I mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Foxxz:
Dummy rounds
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By cpermd:
APIT

AP is precious, don't waste it
View Quote

None are APIT.  Unless incendiary counts as a tracer.  Still it's just plain incendiary  not APIT.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Emt1581:

A handful of rounds,  and then some cast bullets I haven't pc'd or sized...or loaded.  

View Quote

Then the API will be the closest in weight

The Lake City API I bought from SGA is 647gr, ball ammo is 660
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:25:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#11]

View Quote

Meh, I would go pick up a can of M33 so when you break the scope you can sight in the next one.  .50's are not exactly nice to scopes.

.....just fly an airplane to go get the best price....
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Then the API will be the closest in weight

The Lake City API I bought from SGA is 647gr, ball ammo is 660
View Quote

Weight??   I'd think API has the most use.   Not understanding how weight entered the equation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

Meh, I would go pick up a can of M33 so when you break the scope you can sight in the next one.  .50's are not exactly nice to scopes.

.....just fly an airplane to go get the best price....
View Quote

Is M33 that much cheaper?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Weight??   I'd think API has the most use.   Not understanding how weight entered the equation.
View Quote

You said you were going to zero your optic

I assume you’re eventually going to buy more FMJ, unless you plan on shooting nothing but incendiary rounds

Zeroing with an ammo that weighs close to ball makes sense
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Well if you want it dead accurate, which using an M82 kinda defeats that purpose, you use the weight of the bullet you plan to be accurate with.  If your looking for broad side of barn for a zero then any of them would work but the API would be the most "equivalent" to M33 if you got a bunch to use at the range.  All my special rounds would be saved for a time of need.  

I can only use non-magnetic BMG rounds at my range, otherwise we eat up the steel targets of which it is mandatory to use.  You can put a paper target in front of it but the round has to be stopped on steel.  I only know of one ammo maker and that is the Hornady AMAX 750gr.  I believe there were two others but this was the cheapest and even this is not cheap.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Ehh... didn't you say you were sighting in an optic?  And yes we under stand you're just trying to get on paper at 100 or so but the closest approximation to what you want to be sighting in further than 100 would be the best choice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:35:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#17]

Is M33 that much cheaper?
View Quote

I paid roughly a dollar $1.80 a around for M33 I think just before kung flu (ETA...paid $180 per can of 100 M33).  The other stuff was $3 a round or higher.  The special stuff is getting harder to find.  I bought 1k bullets of special stuff so I can reload my own when recover the used brass from my Hornaday stuff.

ETA
Here is a link for different ammo types, not sure if I have ever used them so I would ask around if they have good customer service:
https://www.sgammo.com/lake-city-50-bmg-ammo-factory-api-apit-tracer-and-ball-stock-0

API is $100 more a round than M33 for a can of 100, AP is not even listed so not sure if they have it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Well if you want it dead accurate, which using an M82 kinda defeats that purpose, you use the weight of the bullet you plan to be accurate with.  If your looking for broad side of barn for a zero then any of them would work but the API would be the most "equivalent" to M33 if you got a bunch to use at the range.  All my special rounds would be saved for a time of need.  

I can only use non-magnetic BMG rounds at my range, otherwise we eat up the steel targets of which it is mandatory to use.  You can put a paper target in front of it but the round has to be stopped on steel.  I only know of one ammo maker and that is the Hornady AMAX 750gr.  I believe there were two others but this was the cheapest and even this is not cheap.
View Quote

If I want more accuracy I'll use my Raptor.  But the M82 is to allow for multiple rounds on target(s) quicker.  Not broadside of a barn...maybe more along the lines of minute of engine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Emt1581] [#19]

I paid roughly a dollar a around for M33 I think just before kung flu.  The other stuff was $3 a round or higher.  The special stuff is getting harder to find.  I bought 1k bullets of special stuff so I can reload my own when recover the used brass from my Hornaday stuff.
View Quote

Did the same.  I think I have 500 API bullets waiting for a new home.  Haven't priced M33 lately.

EDIT: According to Ammo Seek....$5.40 PER ROUND is the cheapest for M33!!  I think I paid $3 a round from American Marksman for API last year.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't have anything bigger than 45ACP or 45-70. Any 50cal seems cool to me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:44:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#21]

If I want more accuracy I'll use my Raptor.  But the M82 is to allow for multiple rounds on target(s) quicker.  Not broadside of a barn...maybe more along the lines of minute of engine.
View Quote

Nice, I just figured I would throw it out there since many may not be aware it is more of a "destroy this target" rifle and not a sniper rifle.  The owner of my range has one, usually 1.5 MOA on average at 100yrds.

ETA...I think the barrel moving under recoil is the source of most of this, my opinion without digging for a real answer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:44:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 797hp] [#22]
SGA is good to go, all of my ammo came from there

I’ve bought M33 linked 4:1 with tracers, AP and API

It all works

ETA: read the descriptions

Every now and then they get cans of loose FMJ that are known to have duds
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Did the same.  I think I have 500 API bullets waiting for a new home.  Haven't priced M33 lately.

EDIT: According to Ammo Seek....$5.40 PER ROUND is the cheapest for M33!!  I think I paid $3 a round from American Marksman for API last year.
View Quote

The link I gave had it at $330 for a can of 100.  What did API pop up for in Ammo Seek?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:48:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Nice, I just figured I would throw it out there since many may not be aware it is more of a "destroy this target" rifle and not a sniper rifle.  The owner of my range has one, usually 1.5 MOA on average at 100yrds.
View Quote

Yup.  Anti-material.  Not anti-personnel.  Although I guess it could drop someone if need be.  But SOOOO many better choices for that.  This is more of a "fuck your light armor and run flats" kinda tool.  I've seen them used for hunting big game.  Makes a real mess and some animals look like they are getting their ass kicked by a ghost.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:52:17 AM EDT
[#25]

The link I gave had it at $330 for a can of 100.  What did API pop up for in Ammo Seek?
View Quote

Looks like closer to $375 after shipping and tax.  But thanks might still grab some.   Didn't check API.  Hitting the sack.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:54:07 AM EDT
[#26]
SGA is good to go, all of my ammo came from there

I’ve bought M33 linked 4:1 with tracers, AP and API

It all works

ETA: read the descriptions

Every now and then they get cans of loose FMJ that are known to have duds
View Quote

So buy the linked ammo and an extra can to replace the number of tracer rounds maybe?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#27]

So buy the linked ammo and an extra can to replace the number of tracer rounds maybe?
View Quote

That would work

I don’t shoot a lot of tracers because I don’t want to start a fire

I’ve shot an engine block with API and the results were underwhelming
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:07:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#28]

That would work

I don’t shoot a lot of tracers because I don’t want to start a fire

I’ve shot an engine block with API and the results were underwhelming
View Quote

Distance?  Did you try other ammo on it or just API.  I heard AP was one of the best unless you can get the really special $$$$ stuff that "put a thumb in it" almost died a few years ago from what was believed to be a bad reload.  No matter what though 50 BMG has one of the highest energy on target of any calipers your normal joe has access to.

I also try to avoid tracer rounds, one fire and two just incase the properties are a bit quicker than starting 100 yards out and burn the barrel.  Though I understand not a concern but still don't like it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:09:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a belt of .50 cal blanks.  What do I win?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ske714:
I have a belt of .50 cal blanks.  What do I win?
View Quote

Most rounds used by any *usually* competent person to zero an optic.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top