Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2020 9:29:47 PM EDT
Hey guys, so currently I'm at the Academy and my class is working on their legacy item. We've decided we want to display a PR24 in a shadow box along with all of our agency patches, something that pays homage to our history while commemorating the present. I've found newer style PR24s online, but haven't been able to find any of the old wooden style anywhere. Does anyone have a lead for me?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You could call Summit Gun Broker and ask if they have one.
http://summitgunbroker.com/nightsticks.html

Or contact a big city agency with a museum and ask if they have one they'll send you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:57:06 AM EDT
[#3]
The first generation of PR 24 was a two piece ba.ton both pieces were the black polycarbonate and a bolt held the handle on.   It was guaranteed unbreakable. Mine broke and they replaced it with the new solid one-piece all plastic version.  
Before those we used saps, black jacks, slappers  example   these work well better than a PR24 almost as good as a Stream.light

PR 24
Mine pre dates the current model having the smaller end piece on the grip portion and an additional rubber attachment that makes the end of the grip larger similar to the new ones. Mine was bought about 1982 to  1984.    The Older hickory wooden night sticks  often had a hole drilled in the end and filled with lead to add weight.  The SL35 Stream.light and SL20 were also legendary impact-weapons well loved for their effectiveness. (Just add stitches)  The down side to polycarbonate night sticks  is the heat of summer would warp them if you stored it under the passenger head rest.
I still keep one of these handy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
My PR-24 sitting in my basement is from the mid 90's and its the solid one piece polycarbonate kind. before that, they were still polycarbonate, but two piece. You have to go a long way back (70's?) to get to the solid wood side handle batons. Way back when, most departments were using the straight hickory sticks...
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a metal PR-24 baton that I keep in my duty bag. It's perfect for events or crowd control type calls. I bring it out every so often for calls involving lots of people. It always gets attention when I bring it out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never seen a wood PR-24. A Tonfa has flat sides and is not a PR-24.

Some PR-24, PR-24AL, and the PR-24S.  There are even three types of expandable ones.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never seen a wood PR-24. A Tonfa has flat sides and is not a PR-24.

Some PR-24, PR-24AL, and the PR-24S.  There are even three types of expandable ones.
View Quote
I still have my old expandable PR24 from the old days in cold storage in my garage
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Never was a wood Monadnock PR (Protect and Restrain) 24.

I still have my original two-piece, and I have their expandable version (that, just wasn't the same).

One of the finest tools of my generation if you took the time to understand it.

You want legacy.... here it is:

https://baltimorecitypolicehistory.com/baltimore-police-history/espantoon.html

Edited to add: I still have the blue covered manual that came with the original stick. Ditched the shit ring with the post though soon as they invented something better...
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SL35 Stream.light and SL20 were also legendary impact-weapons well loved for their effectiveness. (Just add stitches)  The down side to polycarbonate night sticks  is the heat of summer would warp them if you stored it under the passenger head rest.
View Quote
My first professional flashlight was the Streamlight SL-15. It was bequeathed to me by a Knoxville Police Officer introduced to me as 'stick man'. It was one of the highest honors I ever received, I still have it, and with a fresh battery, I'd still put it up against any modern light. I could literally drive nails with that thing.

The second thing, I heard that all the time, but I never saw it. Only baton I ever saw that warped was a straight stick left in the back deck over a summer, looked like a black sausage with a grenade grip LOL
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#10]
PR24 is a specific brand, it was never wood. Many wood knock offs used to be around surplus stores and gun shows in the 90s.

Not too many around anymore. Good luck though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want a wooden one, go to a martial arts store. The PR-24 is based on the Tonfa.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Check your email  I actually have a wooden "PR-24"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top