Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do LED's "look" like incan?  I could never stand the extra white brightness of non-incan.
View Quote
You do realize that LED bulbs come in a choice of Kelvin temperatures?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6X2K4Ldamn that was tough.  of course, you will have a hard time writing a check for it
View Quote
Obviously,  you didn't see my post, above...
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thank you. anyone retarded enough to actually want incandescent bulbs can suck up the stupid tax at 10X the electricity cost.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy CREE or Phillips LED and never look back.  Incandescent bulbs suck ass.
Thank you. anyone retarded enough to actually want incandescent bulbs can suck up the stupid tax at 10X the electricity cost.
lol

Some times you want a bulb that puts off heat like an incandescent because it prevents ice/snow build up on the fixture...
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:42:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Damn snowflakes, always crying when they don't get their way.

Are you pissed that they banned the use of lead in paint? MUH CHOICES!

Are you pissed they banned asbestos in insulation? MUH CHOICES!

Are you pissed that it's illegal to throw your garbage about the window of your truck? MUH CHOICES!

Everything is government overreach until you specifically benefit from it. Like public hunting lands. Or should corporations be free to dump on public land?

My point is that incandescent bulbs were phased out, by force, for good reason. Inefficient electrical devices add unneeded strain on our already outdated infrastructure. The technology has been surpassed, by leaps and bounds, and now you're "forced" (boohoo) to buy a product that's cheaper and more effective in the long run.

Don't like it? Light a candle.
View Quote
Why do you hate freedom?  Let the market decide.  If a better solution truly exists than it will takeover on it’s own, it is not the job of the government to interfere.  It had absolutely fucking nothing to do with strain on the grid and you fucking know it, it was to appease the envirowackos.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why do you hate freedom?  Let the market decide.  If a better solution truly exists than it will takeover on it’s own, it is not the job of the government to interfere.  It had absolutely fucking nothing to do with strain on the grid and you fucking know it, it was to appease the envirowackos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn snowflakes, always crying when they don't get their way.

Are you pissed that they banned the use of lead in paint? MUH CHOICES!

Are you pissed they banned asbestos in insulation? MUH CHOICES!

Are you pissed that it's illegal to throw your garbage about the window of your truck? MUH CHOICES!

Everything is government overreach until you specifically benefit from it. Like public hunting lands. Or should corporations be free to dump on public land?

My point is that incandescent bulbs were phased out, by force, for good reason. Inefficient electrical devices add unneeded strain on our already outdated infrastructure. The technology has been surpassed, by leaps and bounds, and now you're "forced" (boohoo) to buy a product that's cheaper and more effective in the long run.

Don't like it? Light a candle.
Wonder if tard-o there complains about people charging electric cars putting a strain on our outdated infrastructure too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Replacing all the curly CFLs with SmartLED bulbs.  Now I can control all the lights with my phone, put them on a schedule, or have the outdoor lights kick on when my cameras detect motion.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6X2K4Ldamn that was tough.  of course, you will have a hard time writing a check for it
View Quote
As has been mentioned before, in the rare cases (around here anyway) where incandescents can still be found in the stores they are the shitty “energy efficient” halogen kind, not the old style ones.  The old ones just worked, and they kept working for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Get to ordering OP
I was like you and stocked up on incans. They still sit unused for the most part., since I unfucked my thinking.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get to ordering OP
I was like you and stocked up on incans. They still sit unused for the most part., since I unfucked my thinking.
View Quote
I stocked up pretty deep on 100W incandescents, and I run them in the winter.  If I think about it in the spring, I swap them for LED/CFLs.  Why?  Because if any portion of your heating is electric, the incandescents are NOT inefficient at all, they're heating for you.

I wonder how many people jerking off about the power savings on their LED bulbs have a space heater, baseboard heater, heat pump with electric strips, etc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I stocked up pretty deep on 100W incandescents, and I run them in the winter.  If I think about it in the spring, I swap them for LED/CFLs.  Why?  Because if any portion of your heating is electric, the incandescents are NOT inefficient at all, they're heating for you.

I wonder how many people jerking off about the power savings on their LED bulbs have a space heater, baseboard heater, heat pump with electric strips, etc.
View Quote
Power savings really don't turn my crank.
I started changing over to LEDs outside first, so no energy wasted on heating there. Decorative driveway fixtures with multiple candelabra base, dimmable porch and garage door sconces (9 bulbs total on 1 dimmer)
Rear yard flood lights (3-120 watt equivalent using 19 watts each @5000K. WAY more lumens than 360 watts of equivalent incan) Motion detector lights on sides of house. etc.

I started using LED for the way longer lifespan. Now I'm changing inside lighting to LED as bulbs go out. Except the original 2000 hr. Sylvania 130 volt, 65 watt BR30s can light bulbs. They just won't die.
I've replaced maybe 6 out of 36 or so originals since we built the house in 2003.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get to ordering OP

I rarely run lights OR heat
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
When they first started MAKING us get away from tungsten bulbs I bought a ton.
About a year ago my stash of bulbs ran out. Tried some new made tungsten bulbs.
They never lasted like the older ones.

Finally broke down and jumped on the LED bandwagon.
I have yet to have one go out. I'm sold.

Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I just ditched all of my florescent tube bulb in my shop to LEDs.  I went from 1395 watts to 288 watts.  Electric bill went from $170 to $60 per month. I also negotiated a lower price per KWH with the electric company.  That added to the savings.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#14]
ACE i GET THE LEDS I LOVE THEM
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I actually like the CFLs in our bathroom.  They take a few seconds to get up to full strength and don't blind me first thing in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Soft white 60 -100 watt LED bulbs are the best thing to happen to light bulbs since Edison invented light bulbs.
Fuck CFL bulbs ,I bought one years ago and it was so bad I never bought another.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’m with you OP.

Yeah yeah yeah, LEDs blah blah blah.  Whatever.
What pisses me off is that I no longer have the CHOICE to use 100w incandescents if I WANT to.
Halogen equivalents are available, but those are still 2x the cost of what polar ice cap melting/rainforest destroying/baby seal clubbing incandescents used to run.

‘Cheaper in the long run’...IDGAF.  That’s not the point.
I don’t WANT to buy LEDs, but I no longer have that choice... now do I?
View Quote
I stocked up on incandescent while I still could but now I've gone over to LED. They pay for themselves in a year. My electric bill is down 10% last year and they should last up to 20 years.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup. I've replaced all the bulbs in/around my home with LEDs. They last forever and are much brighter. I've got a stockpile of incandescent bulbs that I'll never use.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#19]
The GE incandescent bulbs made in Canada were durable. The Mexican version sucks. If you have an application for an incandescent bulb a Rough Service Light Bulb should last a long time. Read carefully, some are 220 volts.

What are they?
Rough service lamps are designed to be resistant to vibration and other external stresses that can damage the filament of a regular lamp, causing failure. They are available in a variety of wattages and finishes. They are known for their durability and long life as compared to regular incandescent bulbs.

How do they work?
Rough service lamps function identically to regular incandescent lamps, but generally have additional wire within the glass enclosure that serves to protect and support the filament.

Where are they used?
Rough service lamps are ideal for use in any area where bumps, shocks, or vibrations are a primary concern. Some examples would be garage door openers, lamps near machinery, lamps near doors that slam regularly, or those used anywhere else where early failure is an issue due to a harsh usage.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do LED's "look" like incan?  I could never stand the extra white brightness of non-incan.
My LEDs have adjustable Kelvin temperatures. (2200K-6500K)
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I hate incandescent bulbs.  They heat up a room in the summer and once a month I had to run around the house replacing at least one burned out bulb.  It sucked with high ceilings and some of those fancy fixtures are a bitch to take apart.

I have been using LEDs for almost 2 years and have not had to replace one yet
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Replace your switch! Not a bulb issue, I guarantee it if you are blowing them regularly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
I wonder if that's one of the 200+ volt bulbs listed in the linked ad with price.
The filament is not exactly bright white temp.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 4:58:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I love using the 100 watters as a heat source.  I don't think LEDs can do this.
View Quote
We bought an easy bake oven for our granddaughter this Christmas. It isn’t like the old ones of my youth. The new one has a heating element in it. The old one my cousin Sandy had used one or two 100 watt bulbs for heat.

Appliance bulbs, rough service bulbs, and garage door opener bulbs are all incandescent and still available.

LED bulbs rock.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#26]
10 years ago when we bought our house I immediately went around and changed all of the bulbs to CFL's, and regretted it. I couldn't seem to get much more than 6 months out of them. It even got to the point that to prove to myself I wasn't crazy, I started dating them. I wasn't crazy.
Then I decided to start trying LED's and I am still not impressed.
My current rate of failure within 3 months for LED's of varying brands and costs is about 25%.
The only ones that have had no failures are some Phillips Slim Style 75 W equivalent that I would gladly buy more of but have apparently been discontinued.
The failures range from ceasing to function to blinking on and off.
Add to this the fact that 100 W equivalent bulbs (which is what most of my incandescents were) still cost an arm and a freaking leg and I am less than impressed.
$1 LEDs? What are you guys buying 40 watt equivalents or something? The only use I have for anything that low is some hallway sconces and they are using candelabra LEDs already, but they sure weren't $1, more like 3.5 times that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#28]
What do you mean "where can I buy incandescent bulbs"???

They are everywhere around here.........Lowes for example has a whole slew of them on the shelves.

Go to ebay and there are good deals if you search for them.

Incandescent bulbs are still readily available.

They are making them under new guidelines where they save some energy..........so they are still available and not expensive.

Plus, rough service bulbs were always exempted from the new laws.

Go to 1000bulbs.com also...............
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#29]
None of my LEDs last as long as advertised , either.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
LED bulbs are expensive? They are like 1.88 or 2.88 at wal mart, can't remember which ones.

That's not expensive, also they last longer and are more efficient.
View Quote
Per bulb, compared to the bulk packs we used to be able to buy them in, that's expensive
The cheap bulk packs are no longer available.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#31]
A few years ago just before the ban, I went into Walmart and bought every bulb they had, I'm still
using them.  In the mean time the price of the LEDs has fallen dramatically.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I used to buy CFL at the local Walmart or Target for $1 for a three pack but now I'm 100% LED.

I think the only place I have those antique edison incandescent bulbs is in the oven, hell even the refrigerator is all LED.

I have two milk crates full of the pre-ban edison bulbs figuring in 20-years they'll be worth a fortune.
View Quote
They won't be worth much............new incandescent bulbs are being made that save enough energy to meet the new guidelines.

And rough service bulbs were always exempted.

Use the bulbs for target practice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I need to start replacing my CFL's with LEDs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There are states where incandescents are banned or are you saying the market's actions phased them out much like the automobile replaced the horse and buggy?

California passed a law banning 100W incandescent bulbs. Next month there were 95W bulbs for sale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are states where incandescents are banned or are you saying the market's actions phased them out much like the automobile replaced the horse and buggy?

California passed a law banning 100W incandescent bulbs. Next month there were 95W bulbs for sale.
I have absolutely no idea where he is getting that from...........must be certain states like you mention.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#38]
OP, Just buy some Philips HUE White Bulbs.  You can adjust the color temperature and they last a good long while.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have nothing but incandescents in my house because fuck enviros and the nanny state. My highest 2016 SUMMERTIME electric bill in FUCKING PHOENIX was only ~$180 (1400 sqft single level)!

Enjoy your shackles!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have nothing but incandescents in my house because fuck enviros and the nanny state. My highest 2016 SUMMERTIME electric bill in FUCKING PHOENIX was only ~$180 (1400 sqft single level)!

Enjoy your shackles!
LMFAO enjoy.  I think our highest was about $95 on a 1680sq-ft house in Houston.  More money for ammo and fine Scotch for me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That technology was killed by the market, not the law, there is a difference.  We have literally come to the point where the government is so bloated and intrusive that they can dictate what kind of lightbulbs you are permitted to use in your own fucking home.  You don't see a problem with that?  The government, and the envirowhackos who run it, have no fucking right to tell me what kind of lightbulbs to use.  They don't want me to use incandescents?  Fuck them I want to use incandescents just as a fuck you to them and their fucking communist agenda.  Also, as I said, CFLs blow ass and last no where near as long as incandescents yet cost more, and LEDs cost much more and for a light which is not on all the time I just do not see the cost savings.

If I had the choice I probably would just buy LEDs and just eat the cost and be done with it, but they want to deny me the choice, so that makes me want incandescents even more, because fuck them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone know where I can find a local telegraph office?

Yeah, yeah. Emails, faxes, phones, and all that liberal hogwash. I'm just mad I don't have the CHOICE to use dead technology.

That technology was killed by the market, not the law, there is a difference.  We have literally come to the point where the government is so bloated and intrusive that they can dictate what kind of lightbulbs you are permitted to use in your own fucking home.  You don't see a problem with that?  The government, and the envirowhackos who run it, have no fucking right to tell me what kind of lightbulbs to use.  They don't want me to use incandescents?  Fuck them I want to use incandescents just as a fuck you to them and their fucking communist agenda.  Also, as I said, CFLs blow ass and last no where near as long as incandescents yet cost more, and LEDs cost much more and for a light which is not on all the time I just do not see the cost savings.

If I had the choice I probably would just buy LEDs and just eat the cost and be done with it, but they want to deny me the choice, so that makes me want incandescents even more, because fuck them.
The government may have spurred it on, but LEDs are cheap and long lasting enough now that the market would have killed incans anyway.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
LEds are cheaper long-term.

Especially in vehicles, as yo should never have to replace solid state electronics. Theoretically anyway. The stuff that fails is outside the bulb.

Incans consume 10 or 20 times as much mAh. Especially these high-powered xenon lights.
View Quote
I have electric resistance heat, so burning extra energy doesn't matter. I just have to make it up with more heating elsewhere.

Though, I got my first LED bulb (not sure what brand) and the light it gives off and responsiveness is MUCH BETTER than the old CFLs.

Won't be at all sad to see CFLs in the history bin.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#42]
I just bought a whole flat of 60w LEDs bulbs at dollar tree. The future is now OP. Go LED
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I too am a curlyfuckbulb hater and can say the introduction of the LED bulbs in my home has been a godsend.

The good LED bulbs even look like incandescent light and have the same shape as the old bulbs so you can use all of the "clips to the bulb" style lamp shades and covers (mainly in my garage).

Once I snapped off a curlyfuckbulb taking it out, I switched to LED and will never go back to CFL or incandescent.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
CFLs do suck

but if you refuse to buy LEDs you are just being a stubborn old coot.  Incandescent bulbs are like tube TVs.

If you want to keep your yellow incandescent color use 2700k leds. 3000k for more white.

5000k is usually too 'blue' for house use but they look good in a shop envroment.

I perfer 4100k but that is hard to find in Edison base bulbs.
View Quote
Shit now you’re busting on my picture tube TV?   Ima gunna get my two barrel shotgun out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I actually like the CFLs in our bathroom.  They take a few seconds to get up to full strength and don't blind me first thing in the morning.
View Quote
m

Ha I can relate to that moment!

My house has a ton of failing curly cue cfls. I have been replacing them with incandescent that I already own.   As I need more I will buy the LEDs as they’re not so spensive anymore.

My new garage I went to garage journal and they have a great long thread on the best garage lighting options.  I put 18 four foot double bulb LEDs on a white metal roofing ceiling.    I can operate in there if I need to.  (The older you get the more light ya need for seeing tooling and find work).

The house will get LEDs eventually.  A lot of my special can lights suck for durability.   They’re expensive too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I love using the 100 watters as a heat source.  I don't think LEDs can do this.
View Quote
Correct!  I needed a new bulb for the brood lamp I keep in my well house, I found a few at the local ACE hardware but a few was all they had and no more coming in. The guy there told me  woman had been in earlier to buy a 200W bulb for the same purpose but she wanted LED because it would use less energy...
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#47]
amazon and I buy the rough service ones

I like the light quality

I have LEDs in areas that dont matter but I like the light over my dining room table to be regular bulbs
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What do you mean "where can I buy incandescent bulbs"???

They are everywhere around here.........Lowes for example has a whole slew of them on the shelves.

Go to ebay and there are good deals if you search for them.

Incandescent bulbs are still readily available.

They are making them under new guidelines where they save some energy..........so they are still available and not expensive.

Plus, rough service bulbs were always exempted from the new laws.

Go to 1000bulbs.com also...............
View Quote
The new ones aren’t as good, they are halogen instead of tungsten, they do not last as long as the old bulbs, they don’t make as much heat, and the quality control sucks.  They also cost more.  The old bulbs could be found for less than 50 cents each.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
LEDs you cheapo
View Quote
QFT

Where can I get bronze tools?  I don't like those new fangled Iron tools.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My how times change. I was almost run out of GD when I recommended LED bulbs a few years ago
View Quote
Hasn't changed that much.  Was called a neckbearder for buying a "good" supply of inc's when the curly-q's were failing regularly.  Still have nearly all I bought.
Page / 4
Top Top