Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2018 7:31:50 PM EDT
We just found out our 14lb Rat Terrier is diabetic and tested a 190 on their scale. We are waiting for some more info from our vet so I started digging around on the internet and treatment looks like a total nightmare and expensive to boot. Anyone go through this with their pet and have any insight in what to expect?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It is expensive, specialized food, you need a prescription, seriously was in Pets Mart, no script no food Meanwhile pot is for sale next door

You have to give your pup shots twice a day and insulin is expensive.  My wife freaked out at the shots so I did all that, it wasn't too bad.

Lots of other costs like blood glucose testing which which you can also do yourself. Infections and other problems seem more common.

As long as your pup has good quality of life it is worth it, don't let them give you dog prednisone until you look into the risk.

https://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/prednisone-prednisolone

Sorry your dog is sick

ETA Assuming no complications, for a dog your size, special food and insulin, easily $125 to $250 a month ballpark.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Insulin at CVS is much cheaper than at the vet.  :(
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. The wife talked to the vet today and he really didn't seem to worried about the diabetes level our dog has. He is going to check into insulin prices but is pretty confident we can control the diabetes with diet and exercise. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Just giving an update. We tried a diet change along with a supplement and took our dog back yesterday to get her blood sugar checked again. Everything was in the normal range now so our vet said to keep doing what we have been. He said down the road we might have to start doing the shots if the supplements stop controlling it but they would only cost a couple hundred a year for our small dog so that isn't bad.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#5]
If you do end up giving shots, don't fool around with trying to give them by hand.  You'll hurt the dog and stress yourself out. I actually poked myself with a needle accidentally once when my dog became irate.

Get an Autoject. We've had one for months now and pup doesn't mind it at all.  Train your dog with it. Start with a ballpoint pen...tape the end up, click it against their skin, and hold them still.  Reward them with a small piece of their food (we just use a few pieces of the prescription food from the vets as "treats).

Switch over to the Autoject, but don't use the needle. Get the dog used to having it against the skin, and get them used to freezing at the sound of the clicking noise. Get them to associate the sound with the reward.

I have probably one of the most high strung breeds there is (Chihuahua) and she does a great job with her shots. Before, she became really agitated and wanted to bite me. No more.

Video showing it in action:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0o58prJfdo[/youtube]

At the time, the Autoject 2 for humans was the cheaper option than the veterinary version. Now, the veterinary version is cheaper. They are identical. Amazon link:

Pet Fine Auto Injector
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top