Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2022 12:37:31 PM EDT
I've only ever cooked them once and it wasn't good.

But the bearded butchers on YouTube really talk up beef ribs. I have some ribs taking up room in the freezer and it's time to make them disappear, preferably into a delicious meal...

But I need ideas.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Most people mess them up because they make it too complicated. Just some rub and some smoke for maybe 6 hours at 250-270 indirect. If there's no drip pan with liquid in it, then you want to spritz them with apple or pineapple juice every hour or so, more often toward the end. You want them around 203 F internal when you pull them. Pour some sauce on top and sear them in the oven on broil on the air fryer on sear until the sauce either is bubbling everywhere or caramelizes into a darker color - different sauces behave in different ways.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Short ribs have more meat.  Smoke them.  Use any rub you like.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Pottage.

Put anything in a pot.  Slow boil/simmer all day.  Eat.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a couple of instant pot recipes that aren't bad but it'll largely depend on how they're cut and trimmed. I've done plate and short ribs on the BGE with decent success as well. For smoking I usually use Salt Lick garlic rub and go low and slow with a drip pan.

Instant Pot

Link Posted: 2/16/2022 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never had beef ribs come out that great, either.  I can smoke the fuck out of a steak, a brisket, pork ribs, etc.  But beef ribs so far are my white whale.
As mentioned, not a lot of meat on them, and they come out too hard for me.

I have had amazing beef ribs from the pros down in Austin Texas.  I know it can be done, I just haven't figured it out yet.

My next attempt will be sous vide.  Cook them and get them tender as fuck for a couple days.  Then finish them up on the smoker.  When I do brisket like that, it comes out perfectly done every time.  Its like a cheat code.
There's a rack of beef ribs in my freezer.  Just a matter of me getting off my ass and making it happen.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Most ribs sold at stores are too thin for the effort. You want some meaty one to work with. To bad most stores maximize their other cuts and you end up with shit ribs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#8]
OP do you have back ribs or short ribs?
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Give this guy a read.  I've been using his prime recipe for years and it's never let me down.  If I am trying something for the first time, I always check to see what he has done.

Beef Ribs
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most ribs sold at stores are too thin for the effort. You want some meaty one to work with. To bad most stores maximize their other cuts and you end up with shit ribs.
View Quote
Yes they are trimmed tight and often priced higher than steak.  Only fools fall for that.  Short ribs are what you seek. Catching them on sale is nearly like unicorn hunting.

Now, this right here is what I am talking about:

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
225 for 4-6 hours (meatier ribs go long, less meaty go short), last hour slather with tomatoe & molasses based sauce.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#12]
cook them in a pressure cooker.
Use meat & broth to make vegetable soup
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most people mess them up because they make it too complicated. Just some rub and some smoke for maybe 6 hours at 250-270 indirect. If there's no drip pan with liquid in it, then you want to spritz them with apple or pineapple juice every hour or so, more often toward the end. You want them around 203 F internal when you pull them. Pour some sauce on top and sear them in the oven on broil on the air fryer on sear until the sauce either is bubbling everywhere or caramelizes into a darker color - different sauces behave in different ways.
View Quote

Pretty much this. Brisket on a stick.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#14]
50/50 salt and pepper by volume.

Load it down with the seasoning. Let it sit for 15 minutes or while the cookers coming up to temp.

Cook slowly until around 203. Probe tender is what you're looking for, temp probe should feel like it's going to into butter as that when everything's broken down and the meats tender and juicy.

Beef ribs are not like other cuts of meat if you cook them rare it'll be tough and nasty
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
50/50 salt and pepper by volume.

Load it down with the seasoning. Let it sit for 15 minutes or while the cookers coming up to temp.

Cook slowly until around 203. Probe tender is what you're looking for, temp probe should feel like it's going to into butter as that when everything's broken down and the meats tender and juicy.

Beef ribs are not like other cuts of meat if you cook them rare it'll be tough and nasty
View Quote
A cheat I have seen Asian chefs do is to make small cuts along the sides of the rib prior to cooking.  This leaves bite size chonks that are easy to take off, even if they aren't cooked fork tender.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy La Fiesta rib rub, then slather the ribs with a honey mustard and then coat with the ribs with the rub.Cook for two hours at 225° in your oven wrapped in aluminum foil. After the two hours is up you can either choose to finish in the oven or on the grill at 350 for 50 minutes basting every 10 minutes with your preferred barbecue sauce. Make a bed of cheesy garlic mashed potatoes as your base then lay the ribs on the top. If you try this it will be good and that is a guarantee
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Pretty much this. Brisket on a stick.
View Quote

As simple as this is, this was the most helpful response. Once I got on the frame of mind that it was brisket on a stick I gave it a go just like brisket. The result wasn't too bad. I think I'll make some adjustments the next time. I'm going to try the spritz, and decrease my time a bit.

For those that asked, I don't know what kind of ribs they were. It was whatever the butcher shop did. They definitely were not short ribs. They've been in my freezer from 2 cows prior to the current.

I know what short ribs are, do those cook like brisket as well? I love brisket, if they are like brisket I may order some on my next beef and give them a go.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
SUPER easy.

I cover them in Peruvian BBQ dry rub from whole foods, then put them in a 3" deep sheet pan, cover them with foil and in the oven they go for a couple of hours at 250-300.  Delicious!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know what short ribs are, do those cook like brisket as well? I love brisket, if they are like brisket I may order some on my next beef and give them a go.
View Quote

IMO no.  The ribs you got were brisket on a stick.  Short ribs are what's left if you have the cow butchered so the brisket is left whole, and there's little or no meat really left on the ribs.  Personally I use them as soup bones for beef stock or bone broth instead of trying to make BBQ ribs out of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top