Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2023 4:46:39 PM EDT
Wife's old Dell Inspiron PC running Windows 7...what can I do with it? Works fine, but it's Windows 7.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what it is and if you are a computer hobbyist or not.

Generally, for a machine of that age I take it apart and trash all of it while making sure the hard drive never works again.

But stuff like that can make a decent firewall, print server, file server, security camera host, etc. if you want to mess with it for dozens of hours to get mediocre utility from it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Throw some more memory at it, an SSD, and upgrade it to 10. Or side-grade it to some flavor of Linux.

I've got several old laptops around here like that that are living second lives. For instance I have one in the shop that exists only to run VAG-COM and Forscan (car scanning/programming stuff for VW/Audi and Ford, respectively). If I drop that or spray some chemical on it I just don't care.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]
1. Windows 10 32-bit
2. This game in its 2012 DVD-ROM form:

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what are her requirements of the computer?

any certain programs for work or similar?

View Quote

No requirements. I just don't want to toss a computer that works.

Maybe I'll just use it to run some of my old games that don't work on 11.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
16GB RAM, SSD, Install Windows 10.  It'll work fine for a long time.

As I'm posting this on a 10 year old HP business laptop with 15GB RAM, SSD, and Windows 7 Pro.  It also runs fine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Do the Win 10 free update. The install an 1 TB SSD drive and max the RAM out.

Have done several recently all with excellent results.

Have heard that the Win 7 to 10 update now only works if you have a accessibility device installed. I only use TrackBall mice so I have never done one without.

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do the Win 10 free update. The install an 1 TB SSD drive and max the RAM out.

Have done several recently all with excellent results.

Have heard that the Win 7 to 10 update now only works if you have a accessibility device installed. I only use TrackBall mice so I have never done one without.

View Quote
I've been installing Windows 10 with Windows 7 keys for a long time, and have done so recently.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I upgraded an older W7 to W10 device for free without accessibility devices just a month ago.

Started with properly activated W7 install and used the W10 install media (via usb drive) to upgrade it. New W10 upgrade install properly activated.

After that I wiped drive and did clean install for W10, still activated fine.

For some reason I vaguely recall not having success punching in a W7 key on a clean install of W10 during prior upgrades.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep Windows 7 32 bit around (little less finicky than 10 32 bit) for work. Also dual boots into DOS 7.1, also for work.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#12]
male it a plex media server
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]
You can probably do an upgrade to Windows 10 for free, check it out.

NAS server after that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I hate to say it as bad as I hate any non LTSC Win 10, but I think 10 is faster than 7 on the same equipment if you kill the bloatware that MS installs with Win 10. I've upgraded three Win 7 computers to Win 10 for free semi recently (two pros and a home) and with a now dirt cheap SSD and 8 gigs of RAM (also dirt cheap used on Ebay) they're faster than they were with Win 7 and have drastically shorter load times.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I hate to say it as bad as I hate any non LTSC Win 10, but I think 10 is faster than 7 on the same equipment if you kill the bloatware that MS installs with Win 10. I've upgraded three Win 7 computers to Win 10 for free semi recently (two pros and a home) and with a now dirt cheap SSD and 8 gigs of RAM (also dirt cheap used on Ebay) they're faster than they were with Win 7 and have drastically shorter load times.
View Quote

After upgrading a Centrino equiped Windows Vista OEM from 7 Professional to Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (needed to be 32 bit) I can say...nope still pretty slow (can't even handle modern web browsing). Does almost everything else I need it to do though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Vga
Quoted:

After upgrading a Centrino equiped Windows Vista OEM from 7 Professional to Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (needed to be 32 bit) I can say...nope still pretty slow (can't even handle modern web browsing). Does almost everything else I need it to do though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much memory and did you use an SSD? If it came with Vista, it's just about an antique although I have two or three Core2Duos that run Win 10 just fine.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Vga

How much memory and did you use an SSD? If it came with Vista, it's just about an antique although I have two or three Core2Duos that run Win 10 just fine.
View Quote

I have a Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3 GHz running 7 Ultimate 32 bit with 4 GB of memory just fine.

This laptop is a Core 2 Duo U7500 at 1 GHz running 10 LTSC 2019 32 bit with 4 GB of memory. 4 GB is the max you can utilize with 32 bit OSes. Both have SSD and both dual boot DOS 7.1 (which is 32 bit DOS) in addition both run software which is only supported in a 32 bit environment (doesn't work correctly due to having to interface with physical COM ports in 64 bit compatibility mode) as some of it was written for Windows 98 and XP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top