Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2019 9:22:25 PM EDT
I managed to burn up my old 6v/12v battery charger. Went to buy a new one... they are all "automatic". Tractor Supply, Atwoods, ABC Auto, Autozone, O'Rileys, even Amazon and eBay, all automatic.

I'm trying to charge my 6v positive ground '54 Packard. I don't want your "smart" processor trying to figure out the polarity, charge level, voltage, or anything else. I want it to throw the selected voltage and current when I plug it in. I want sparks if I touch the leads!

WTF, this is like Obama gas cans all over again.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a power supply?
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Harbor Freight.

I hate them fucking auto chargers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Those of us with Cars built in 21st century have AGM batteries and battery senors. They don't like surges or being over charged.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I returned a HF charger because it would not work on a dead battery. I read the manual before the return... it said it would not click on if the charger does not detect voltage.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to have to hit up a bunch of garage sales this spring looking for freakin pre-ban battery chargers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I returned a HF charger because it would not work on a dead battery. I read the manual before the return... it said it would not click on if the charger does not detect voltage.
View Quote
Connect it in parallel with another battery, it'll start charging the dead one. After a couple hours, disconnect the good battery and it should continue to charge.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Surprisingly, 6V battery chargers seem to be declining in popularity.  I only have one working charger that will handle 6V batteries (a NOCO), but it has all that automatic stuff.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Not in a rush?  Find a 7.2v wall wart of decent amperage and put some clamps on it.

Example
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#10]
@stuzmech
@m35ben
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear you OP. They all suck for just about everything. And, if the battery is a bit old and doesn't take a charge, good luck shocking it into shape.

Personally, I would just buy a lab DC power supply where you can set the amps and voltage
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Connect it in parallel with another battery, it'll start charging the dead one. After a couple hours, disconnect the good battery and it should continue to charge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This right here. You can also use the same system for electrolytic rust removal.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not just Harbor Freight.  I have an Exide one and if the battery is too low I "jump start" the charger with a 9V battery and a lead while it is still connected to the dead battery.  Once it clicks on it will stay on and charge normally.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not just Harbor Freight.  I have an Exide one and if the battery is too low I "jump start" the charger with a 9V battery and a lead while it is still connected to the dead battery.  Once it clicks on it will stay on and charge normally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. I've had to do the same thing before with cordless drill batteries that got so low the charger wouldn't recognize them. Works great.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes most new chargers do that. It's a huge pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Those of us with Cars built in 21st century have AGM batteries and battery senors. They don't like surges or being over charged.
View Quote
Yep - I like my battery chargers with a double-dose of whiz-bangery.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#17]
5. 1.

1. 5. 1.5.1.5.5.5.1.5 Over.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know about Papa but if I had a good battery to put in parallel with it I wouldn't need a battery charger.
I have 2 old school chargers i kept along with my smart chargers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Why don’t we like smart chargers?
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#21]
With the smart chargers, you have to trick them into turning on for electrolysis as well; the old manual chargers were a lot easier.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Ooooooor the OP could modernize the charging and electrical system to the 1960's....
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I have several types and usually use my smart chargers if at all possible but I still keep my old carry handle wheeled AC  Delco 1000 CCA that you can pretty much set up any way you want at 6 and 12 v and set the max charge amps. It's old but it's not getting tossed even though I have a portable 1000 CCA jump pack that is easier to use.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I hear you OP. They all suck for just about everything. And, if the battery is a bit old and doesn't take a charge, good luck shocking it into shape.

Personally, I would just buy a lab DC power supply where you can set the amps and voltage
View Quote
Yes.   Agreed

OP if you gonna rant maybe make your own?   Go real old school
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#25]
What the heck happened to battery chargers???

they added computers to them and made them worse than ever

I agree not everything needs a computer to make it better
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Google-fu

Grainger for the win.

Several manual charger types
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I have like 8 Deltran Battery Tenders and they always work.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What the heck happened to battery chargers???

they added computers to them and made them worse than ever

I agree not everything needs a computer to make it better
View Quote
Safety, because people are stupid and can't recognize red=positive and black=negative.

Overcharging. Excessive outgassing of explosive hydrogen.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Get a power supply?
View Quote
CC/CV if you want to be super precise and also restore power tool batteries.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#32]
See this jewel right here?

I used one of these in School (and they were surplus THEN) when learning to repair 8 tracks, it worked then and it still works today to charge batteries. (it doesn't like Li's or maybe Li's don't like it, but IDGAF. let them runaway and bulge out, I don't work on many 737's)
You can crank it up to wake up marginal batteries, turn it down, you're in charge.
I love it so much, I've replaced it when he old one failed (leads were shorted together over a holiday weekend, smoked it).
The "new" one says "Physics Department " on it!
E Bay can be your friend, at times.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Some times, you need a serious analog supply!
Attachment Attached File

Zero to fourty volts at up to 40A. Serious D.C. power FTW!
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is what I did, and exactly why.  It is a lot more useful than that, too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#36]
My circa-1989 Craftsman charger doesn't do any of this nonsense.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm going to have to hit up a bunch of garage sales this spring looking for freakin pre-ban battery chargers.
View Quote
Too bad you're so far away.  I've got one you can have.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Come on op! You have to know by now that EVERYTHING is made assuming people throw their shit away every 5 yrs.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Come on op! You have to know by now that EVERYTHING is made assuming people throw their shit away every 5 yrs.
View Quote
I’d be happy if this new charger lasted 5 years.

Plug it into a 6v positive ground, it powers up, then the light blinks off forever.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another use for the excellent Noco GB40 jump starter pack.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Here you go Op.

Available on Amazon.  Works on 6v, manual, etc.

https://associatedequip.com/product/us20/

I use it to start bulldozers older than your car.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Seems the trend is to make items that are people proof with the added benefit being reduced customer service calls dealing with simple stuff that can be found in the instruction manual. Everything is not for everyone. Made for the lowest common denominator; the same people who put contraceptive jelly on their toast and wonder how they got pregnant
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Pretty sure this is what I have and I love it.  Reminds me of the ancient John Deere charger my grandfather has.  Just brute force the battery into charging or blowing up

The auto chargers don't work for shit in the cold either.

Edit - correction, I have the 250a farm and ranch.  Has an auto mode and brute force mode.  The auto mode usually does jack shit, but put 250a on it for a few minutes and it'll work.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Those older chargers are usually pretty easy to repair.  It's basically a transformer and rectifier, either of which can be replaced with a generic equivalent.

I've had an old 6/12v charger for years and it still works well, but I'd try fixing it before buying a new one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Maybe an automatic charger will keep you from burning it up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Look for a used Schauer or however it's spelled.

Ive had mine 30+ years and have thoroughly abused it, dropped it, left out in the rain while operating everything you can think of and it's still going.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#47]
My dad bought a Harbor Freight buzz box.
A year later it was dead.
The Schumacher "ship and shore" buzz box I bought him for his trolling batteries in the 1990s still works.

My neighbor has had a Harbor Freight computerized charger for about ten years.
Its works, but it's so 'automatic' that it won't charge unless you hook it up to a battery with halfway good voltage. No charging of dead batteries allowed.
I had to teach him how to jump start it. But it seems to be working as intended, a decade after he bought it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I have 2 Schumacher pre-bans still in boxes Found in my grandpa's garage after he passed. They look to be from the 80s. Set for life!
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have 2 Schumacher pre-bans still in boxes Found in my grandpa's garage after he passed. They look to be from the 80s. Set for life!
View Quote
The auto ones suck for setting-up a electrolysis tank. Thank goodness I found a old Schumacher at a yard sale for the job. I bought a extra one for the garage.
Top Top