Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/30/2018 6:51:52 PM EDT
Ever since seeing the video of the hammerhead shark trying to attack a kayaker, I've been reluctant to get back into salt water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92qzZD99cao

How big of a grenade would I need to drive away a shark?  Not necessarily kill it -- diffiicult to do since underwater and moving -- but to blast its sensory apparatus so hard that it would decide to seek prey elsewhere?  Waterproofed firecracker, pineapple grenade, tsar bomba?

Please specify in grams of TNT because uh reasons.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
White phosphorus is what you seek.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ever since seeing the video of the hammerhead shark trying to attack a kayaker, I've been reluctant to get back into salt water.

How big of a grenade would I need to drive away a shark?  Not necessarily kill it -- diffiicult to do since underwater and moving -- but to blast its sensory apparatus so hard that it would decide to seek prey elsewhere?  Waterproofed firecracker, pineapple grenade, tsar bomba?

View Quote

3mm laser beam
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Depth charge
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
White phosphorus needs oxygen to burn and is stored under water in which it is insoluble.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I really want a bangstick/power head.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
You're going to need a bigger boat.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
you want a concussion grenade aka mini depth charge
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Scuba tank should do it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
About depth charge sized.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Jaws 3 answered this inquiry.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Bang stick
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#15]
But they were here first! They're just misunderstood! We can coexist in harmony! /liberal
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Took a minute, but this is the answer. Shock waves are much more powerful underwater and travel further.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Took a minute, but this is the answer. Shock waves are much more powerful underwater and travel further.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, about 7oz of TNT in a fiberglass body?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MK3_grenade
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Research done as a kid makes me think that an M-80 would do the trick for a shark coming up right next to a boat.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#21]
People use M80s to attract sharks when fishing, so I think something bigger than a firecracker is needed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Research done as a kid makes me think that an M-80 would do the trick for a shark coming up right next to a boat.
View Quote
Hmm.  Thanks!  I can make nitroglycerin a lot easier than TNT.  If I encase the diatomaceous earth/nitroglycerin mix inside an impermeable tube such as thin-wall aluminum or polyethylene, do I have to worry about separation and "sweating"?
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Couple of Mark 4s duct taped together ought to do 'er pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hmm.  Thanks!  I can make nitroglycerin a lot easier than TNT.  If I encase the diatomaceous earth/nitroglycerin mix inside an impermeable tube such as thin-wall aluminum or polyethylene, do I have to worry about separation and "sweating"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Butterfly

If you can make nitroglycerin, you may as well make PETN or RDX.  Both can be recrystallized from acetone, and both are rock solid stable.  No sweating to worry about.  They can be weighed easily for reproducibility.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hemingway?
View All Quotes
Yes, hunting sharks and Nazis.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I dont fear them, we have an agreement. They dont come on dry land, I wont go in the ocean. Never seen one on dry land, so I keep my end of the deal.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:19:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@Butterfly

If you can make nitroglycerin, you may as well make PETN or RDX.  Both can be recrystallized from acetone, and both are rock solid stable.  No sweating to worry about.  They can be weighed easily for reproducibility.
View Quote
@C-4 How available is pentaerythritol?  I can get toluene easily and without much if any eyebrow-raising.

It looks like the stuff is used in cosmetics . . . I mean, if I were running a cosmetics shop I might have an excuse, but I'm not.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:26:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@C-4 How available is pentaerythritol?  I can get toluene easily and without much if any eyebrow-raising.

It looks like the stuff is used in cosmetics . . . I mean, if I were running a cosmetics shop I might have an excuse, but I'm not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Butterfly

@Butterfly

It’s all over eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/p/100-Gram-AR-Grade-98-Pentaerythrite-Pentaerythritol-C-5-H-12-O-4/1932257502

Can you make white fuming nitric acid?  All you do is mix 70% nitric acid with 98%+ sulfuric acid and distill it.  Then add a little urea to destroy any nitrogen dioxide that comes over as well.  RDX is as easy or even easier than PETN.  RDX is also technically more stable as PETN is still a nitrate ester whereas RDX is a true nitro compound.

TNT requires oleum.  No way to make that easily.  You can get to dinitrotoluene but the 3rd nitro group is very difficult to attach.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#30]
"Rescue pit bulls" with swim fins
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#32]
There’s been zero fatalities ever recorded by a hammer head. Your safe
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
That’s not a big fish.

This is a big fish:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:55:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You're going to need a bigger boat.
http://forgifs.com/gallery/d/203670-1/Boat-grenade-explosion.gif?
View Quote
I'll bet they're from east Texas.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:25:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
White phosphorus needs oxygen to burn and is stored under water in which it is insoluble.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do you have to ruin fantasy posts with...facts?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:37:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:55:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:57:16 AM EDT
[#38]
They make screw on arrowheads that hold .357 rounds. Should be simple to rig a 3 or 4 of them into a bangstick..
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:29:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I feel like a M80 or 3 would likely suffice to drive it away.

Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@18B30

White phosphorus melts at 44 Celsius.  If you warm the water up to that temperature and bubble air through the molten mass, it will burn underwater.  The whole video is interesting but you can fast forward to 5:20 for the burning under water while oxygen is bubbled through it.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Oke8GinWDG8[/youtube]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Yeah. This.

Wow.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I feel like a M80 or 3 would likely suffice to drive it away.

https://nevadafirewerx.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/m80.jpg
View Quote
I may have know a guy (now deceased) who might have used to fish with those around the Clear Lake-Kemah area about 30 years ago. Tape a nut to it to give it more weight. Light it, then throw it in the water near pilings or known deep holes. Boom, then he used a long handle net to scoop up stunned fish. Nope, not me, Mr. game warden.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#43]
If C-4 or Butterfly were my friends back in High School, I would be dead, missing both arms, or somewhere in Federal Prison now...
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#44]
See how many videos there are of people swimming with much larger hammerheads that don't  do anything and stop being such a wimp. The  little guy wasn't even gnawing on the kayak.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

3mm laser beam
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3mm laser beam
Not if they are rocking LA-5’s

Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Can you just imagine the fun they had back then. Think what a blast it would be to stand on the front of a boat and shoot machine guns at flying fish as you rode around the keys getting hammered.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#47]
So you have a kayak for sale?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If C-4 or Butterfly were my friends back in High School, I would be dead, missing both arms, or somewhere in Federal Prison now...
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Explosives aside, this is exactly why I never enter the food chain without, at a minimum, a .45 and a large knife.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yeah. This.

Wow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah. This.

Wow.
That's a whale shark,  no worries about them at all as they are filter feeders.

I've been pushed out of the way by one that was at least 30 feet long.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top