Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2020 11:49:55 AM EDT
Is it me or did they just suddenly become a thing? Did the NSA suddenly figure out an easier way to collect our data through remote webservers in the Ukraine?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
or maybe everyone has finally accepted the fact that we are all being monitored all the time and are seeking privacy?

thanks GWB for the patriot act
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Because why let your ISP monetize your data when you can pay a VPN service a monthly subscription to monetize your data.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
So did private industry come up with to protect our privacy and put it on the market or did they have to get the blessing from the nsa to market it because nsa already had it cracked?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
VPN's have been around for a LONG time. It is just now gaining popularity.  Therefore more companies are getting in on the action.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The VPN is a decades-old concept. VPN-as-a-service is a whole, new thing.

The first will be around for decades to come. The second is a fad and will eventually die out, especially now that basically every website does HTTPS.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#6]
The VPN ads that are played on talk radio have finally gotten around to everyone who has a friend that listens to talk radio.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Vpn getting popular and cheap. Lifetime sub range from $20 to $60. Got one for $14. I currently have 5 lifetime sub vpn. Also with the rise of personal media servers vpn ride on the back-end of it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Fun fact, most of the VPN companies are owned by 6 Chinese parent companies.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:50:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it me or did they just suddenly become a thing? Did the NSA suddenly figure out an easier way to collect our data through remote webservers in the Ukraine?
View Quote
I'm sure you've thought of this, but just in case, if you've visited a VPN site or even surfed remotely near one (tech forums, etc.) then Google and other trackers have that as data and are tossing VPN ads at you.  Clear your cookies across all browers and dump all stored website data; I'm sure you'll find that you won't see them as much afterwards.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top