Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doctors, lawyers, pilots…
View Quote

I know two MD's and several attorneys from college.  Taking them at their word but for one the attorneys they all make more than the Doctors. The one attorney who makes less heads up a DA's computer division.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
know a dentist that owns his own practice makes over 1 million a year and works less than 40 hours a week
View Quote

I think I’ll be seeing him Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Tech has a pretty high ceiling, and a lot of people eating shit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I make more than a lot of doctors. But I’m management so I don’t count since it’s apparently not a “learned skill”.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doctors, lawyers, pilots

All three of those need several asterisks. Especially pilots.

I make more than a lot of doctors. But I’m management so I don’t count since it’s apparently not a “learned skill”.

i think OP wanted to restrict the list to "individual contributors", meaning no direct reports. so that excludes any managerial role
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

lemme tell you what it takes (or took) to become a neurosurgeon.  Get admitted to a top ten engineering program and the graduate at the top of your electrical engineering class.  Turn down absurd offers. Go to very good medical school.  Graduate at top of class.  Go to 6-year insanely demanding residency.  The kind of thing that causes people to have breakdowns. Do a fellowship.  be in mid 30s before you start to practice.  

The path is clear, but it literally takes a genius that is willing to put in 15 years or more of training, part of which is exceptionally intense.  That is a rare combination.
View Quote

I know exactly what it takes.

And you don’t have to go to top schools. As a matter fact, considering how many Med schools have neuro programs and how the match works, it is mathematically impossible for them to all be top schools.

And you can have an undergrad in dance. Most don’t, but you most certainly can.

And while it is very hard and rare, it is still a credential with a clear path.  You do X and you can expect Y.

It being among the hardest is exactly why it is among the most lucrative.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Cardio/Thoracic Surgery will be up there.

Attorneys will make more at times, but most won't hit their top earning years until they are in their 50's.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I work in the aviation industry and am qualified at my company to perform several NDT methods, including ultrasound, eddy current, and dye penetrant.

This is a niche field and there is a lot of money to be made inspecting aircraft and industrial applications such as pipeline.

ETA:  I also do turbine engine borescope inspections....a private company asked for me to inspect the engines on an aircraft they were purchasing (one which I have a lot of experience) and paid me 3 weeks of my usual pay for 2 hours.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I work in the aviation industry and am qualified at my company to perform several NDT methods, including ultrasound, eddy current, and dye penetrant.

This is a niche field and there is a lot of money to be made inspecting aircraft and industrial applications such as pipeline.
View Quote

"There's riches in niches".
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't sell yourself short.  Most of the managers I have worked for over my 30 years or so of employment had a lot of learned skills and certs, such as how to be a "yes" man, proper brown-nosing etiquette, how to deflect blame/criticism, among other such trivial things.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know exactly what it takes.

And you don’t have to go to top schools. As a matter fact, considering how many Ned schools have neuro programs and how the match works, it is mathematically impossible for them to all be top schools.

And you can have an undergrad in dance. Most don’t, but you most certainly can.

And while it is very hard and rare, it is still a credential with a clear path.  You do X and you can expect Y.

It being among the hardest is exactly why it is among the most lucrative.
View Quote

I don’t know what any of my Doctors make, but I hope they make a shit ton of money, get all the pussy they can stand, and are the happiest mo-fo-s on the ??!
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Ever park in a garage at a big investment firm in a big city and look around at all the other
cars you're parking next to?

<< Made the wrong life decisions.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Assassin.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Assassin.
View Quote

Not the 'tards that usually show up in the news.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Its hard to make more than a talented attorney, or a CEO of any good sized company.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

what about dermatologist? or podiatrist. i hear those are top earning physician specialities
View Quote

Dermatologist make high average. What they have is the best lifestyle. (And is one of the most competitive specialties to get into)

They make good money and have very reasonable work schedules. Lots of other docs make more but that usually comes at the cost of more and more hours.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Specialized surgeons make a lot.

Good developers make a ton. Easily into the 400k range for people who know their stuff and can adapt to new things.

DoD contractors can make a ton depending on where they're willing to go and what they're willing to do. I know a Fire Chief who made almost 400k for a years work in Iraq. Said he didn't do a single thing other than baby sit and ignore the pot shots.

Modern mercenaries like Academi/Blackwater still make really good money for most of the assignments. Not sure how much, but it's a lot for being a cowboy.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Only fans
View Quote

19 year old made 50 million in 1 year.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2022/04/20/bhad-bhabie-i-made-50m-dont-call-me-cash-me-outside-girl/amp/
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assassin.

Agreed.

There are assassins and there are assassins.

Forgery.

ID documents.

Always people looking for a new ID.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#20]
What about being a artist? Hunter Biden did well as a talented artist among his other highly sought after skills.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I’d probably vote software dev as far as learned skills go, but like most things, your intelligence/work ethic/social skills are going to be limiting factors. No matter what you do, if you want to make a lot of money you have  do something that’s in demand better than other people can (or are willing to do it).

For my vote, the most straightforward way to make decent money is big box retail. Relatively simple for the most part to work your way up to ~200k a year. No crazy education required, job itself isn’t that difficult, and you can move up quickly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Doctors.   Not just the rate, but also the only guaranteed employment job in America.

No such thing as an unemployed physician.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#23]
The top Hedge Fund Managers make over $2 billion in a year.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#24]
News Anchorman or Anchorwomen or Anchorgenderbender.

Attachment Attached File

Blow hard Hannity over $40M/year,

Just to beat same drum, "now more than ever", "in our lifetime", "you're a great American", etc... for a hour on TV 5 days a week.

Not to mention the bankroll in Radio.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Hedge fund manager?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Doctors.   Not just the rate, but also the only guaranteed employment job in America.

No such thing as an unemployed physician.
View Quote

The ones with a license suspension for drug use. A lot more of them out there than you think.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No talent or personality so no athletes or celebs.
No entrepreneurs or owners.
No managing of others so CEOs, ect are out.

Software engineer specialized in something?
Attorney? Who has the highest billing rate? I've heard patent attorneys do but then I've heard they don't.
Gun repair?

My own field, accounting, cost accountants seem to do pretty well, but I'm pretty sure we are at the bottom when it comes to software and attorneys.

Also I've heard the future of earning big money is to have two specific fields. Accounting and IT. Bio chem and neuro science. So you can be super specialized.
View Quote

The problem is that in every job you only make the big bucks as an owner.

Lawyer? Unless you are a plaintiff's lawyer making big bucks on contingency, you need to own a firm and make money by hiring associate attorneys and billing them out at 2.5x what you pay them. The job shifts from just being good at your job to sales and management.  If you're not an owner, then there are attorneys that make $60k a year and attorneys that make $700k a year based on salary and bonuses.  A super smart high level non-partner/shareholder could be billing out at $1k an hour at a top firm in a semi-specialized field. Figure 1,800 hours/year billed if you're working your brains out and can't remember what your kids look like. Multiply that by 40% to get to ~$720k.

The same probably goes for most trades.

glocktalk's dentist probably makes most of his money on teeth cleanings where he doesn't even see the patient.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I would say a radiologist or neurosurgeon.  Be ready to work your ass off...

I'm sure if a lawyer hit the right lick, then they would vastly out earn them. As a general rule, though, probably not.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Trader.

Work for yourself, your hours, don’t hVe to talk to anyone if you don’t want to (no customers/no bosses) and sky is the limit on earning potential.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Lawyer? Unless you are a plaintiff's lawyer making big bucks on contingency, you need to own a firm and make money by hiring associate attorneys and billing them out at 2.5x what you pay them. The job shifts from just being good at your job to sales and management.  If you're not an owner, then there are attorneys that make $60k a year and attorneys that make $700k a year based on salary and bonuses.  A super smart high level non-partner/shareholder could be billing out at $1k an hour at a top firm in a semi-specialized field. Figure 1,800 hours/year billed if you're working your brains out and can't remember what your kids look like. Multiply that by 40% to get to ~$720k.

glocktalk's dentist probably makes most of his money on teeth cleanings where he doesn't even see the patient.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attorney? Who has the highest billing rate? I've heard patent attorneys do but then I've heard they don't.
Gun repair?

My own field, accounting, cost accountants seem to do pretty well, but I'm pretty sure we are at the bottom when it comes to software and attorneys.

Also I've heard the future of earning big money is to have two specific fields. Accounting and IT. Bio chem and neuro science. So you can be super specialized.

$1000/hr is what my partner bills.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Onlyfans

Actor

NASA welder

Ponzi schemer

Mega church pastor
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

what about dermatologist? or podiatrist. i hear those are top earning physician specialities
View Quote

Neighbor is a podiatrist

Not glamorous nor high paid compared to other docs/surgeons
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Operators of nuke plants do very well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Gun repair?

View Quote

stay at home birthing person...
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Shower curtain ring salesman.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Politician
View Quote

Yup, (2) skills: grift & theft...

....or something else a bit more different than those^
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#37]
At the University of Florida, the people making ~$1 million or more are doctors (gastroenterology, neurosurgery, peds heart surgeon).
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I know that Elevator Technicians cost a fortune.  I don't know what they get paid but we get billed about $450 per hour per man depending on which company - Kone, Schindler, Otis.  Some of the smaller independent companies are a bit cheaper but still $300+ per hour.  I think their skill set is a cross between a plumber and electrician.
View Quote

There is ironwork in there too...

@slapomatt
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Hedge Fund Manager
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
At the University of Florida, the people making ~$1 million or more are doctors (gastroenterology, neurosurgery, peds heart surgeon).
View Quote

Outside of a few coaches, the highest paid people at schools with Med schools are usually the docs. Some certainly make 7 figures and a few even multiples of that. BUT….on average, docs working in academics are among the lowest paid docs, and that is often true for all specialties.

On average, docs at prestigious institutions  make less and so do docs in the big popular cities. Private practice docs in mid sized metros in flyover country tend to make the most.

The doctor shortage is aggravated by geography. They all want to live in NY, LA, Miami, Boston….  And even though it costs more and they make less, some really want the prestige of the big name institutions (and some genuinely want the world class research and opportunities to do the best medicine that come with these places)

It is really hard to get docs to go to  places like Tulsa or Jackson mIssisippi.  Even though they make a lot more and the cost of living is a lot less.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Harbor pilots can make bank.  It is possible to get there without a college education.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Those are salaries when you see them posted . You have to take into account bonuses which are not included in their salaries posted as public information   .
Our CEO has a base salary of $227K and made 17 million in 2021
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The average CEO makes less than $200k/yr.

Only the very top CEOs at the biggest companies make big bucks, most of which are public record.

Those are salaries when you see them posted . You have to take into account bonuses which are not included in their salaries posted as public information   .
Our CEO has a base salary of $227K and made 17 million in 2021

Reported compensation, when stock compensation is included, is extremely convoluted. The reported compensation for stock comp is really just the book cost of the comp, which ultimately doesn't really mean anything.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Underwater welding.

Not kidding.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Airline pilots.  No degree required.  Just have to spend a bunch of money to learn how to do it.  When I did it, it was somewhat reasonable.  I spent $55,000 on all my training up through my Commercial.  Now I think you’d easily spend $100,000.

Been flying for over 10 years.  Legacy airline FO.  The cappie I flew my last trip with has been making $500,000 /year for the past several years.

Average for a major or legacy airline pilot is probably more like $200,000 for an FO and $350,000 for a Captain.  But much more can certainly be made.

Regionals paid $22 /hour when I started.  Now a new First Officer at a regional can expect to earn $75,000 first year.  A regional Captain can earn $125,000 to $150,000 pretty easily.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Medicine generally
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#46]
double major for top ivy league school, accounting, finance and lawyer, top grades working in finance, investments, banking in one of the major financial cities, london, new york etc.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Starting salaries at the top law firms are over $200k per year.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Neurosurgeons do well, but hedge fund attorneys do better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Top Top