Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2023 12:19:10 PM EDT
It's 2033. No Republicans have been elected as President since 2016. The sheepdogs have done such a good job of minding their own business that the globalists took over without even having to fight. Occasionally on the news you see another story about an Insurrectionist who finally got rounded up, and Arfcom is still telling those arrested that they totally had it coming.

Groceries are rationed to make sure there is no food injustice. You get actual meat once a month, but can purchase plant-based meat substitutes on a fairly regular basis. But you've got a small plot where you are able to grow actual, non-genetically-modified fruits and vegetables for yourself and your family without getting arrested *yet*.

What do you grow, how much do you preserve for future use?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Arfcom won't exist and we'll all be dead.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Pot, probably.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Corn and sunflowers

edit: wait, also pot. His garden sounded better
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking like Peppers and Cabbage but yeah, Devil's Lettuce seems like a pretty good investment now that you mention it.
Not sure if ?8 etc will continue to be legal where I'm at, but it's more fun and more practical than liquor currently.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I live on 40 acres of former farmland next to hundreds more of abandoned farm property, thick forests, and swamps about two hours from the nearest interstate highway.

This year I've been amending the soil's pH and the results have been bigger cucumbers, squash, onions, peppers, and dill. The tomatoes seem smaller but they might be weather related as we've had a cool and cloudy summer. The apple orchard is heavy with fruit, the birds have taken less than previous years. The cherry and plumb trees are only doing OK. There's three hens with 25 chicks between them in the local turkey flock. We had four fawns born this year, two year ago's twins turned into a pair of nice bucks, and the white tail herd grows*.

I've bought several fish nets both casting and gill nets. I've bought dozens of snares, foot, and body traps. I have thousands of seeds put back.

* Until tomorrow which is the opening of the youth hunt season. ??
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
What grows naturally, can be used as a carb base, and can be stored for most of the year without processing?

Where I grew up potatoes, where I live now squash. If its not a natural habitat for it the plant its going to be ten times the work. If you can't store it without processing, more work and reliance on additional equipment. Also heirloom seeds so you are not dependent on seed packs.

Then pot to plant around it, to disguise the crop so you don't get negative social credit for growing food.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Potatoes. In 5 gallon buckets.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Wtf is the difference between a garden and a "survival" garden?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I'll take a wild guess that one is for things you enjoy to eat and the other is for things to keep you alive.

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s 2069 and you’re an old, feeble man dying in a bed. You spent your life consumed by media and retardation and convinced the world was ending. You stockpiled guns, ammo and food supplies and wasted your life in fear of some shtf fantasy. Soon you will be dead and the world will go on without you.

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I live on a farm lol
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
A lot of people's gardens have one tomato plant, one basil plant, and one mozzarella plant so they can make a Caprese salad to post on Facebook as homegrown.

A survival garden has much more utilitarian plantings like black beans and potatoes and is on a much larger scale. It also considers storage crops like winter squash and beets. No one posts that stuff on Facebook, but they are crops that can get you through a winter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Then pot to plant around it, to disguise the crop so you don't get negative social credit for growing food.
View Quote

This man truly understands clown world.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Based on what has done well in my yard:
Tomatoes, swiss chard, sweet potatoes, zucchini
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The composting carcasses of the timid.

Well, not really.  Probably beans and stuff.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It’s 2069 and you’re an old, feeble man dying in a bed. You spent your life consumed by media and retardation and convinced the world was ending. You stockpiled guns, ammo and food supplies and wasted your life in fear of some shtf fantasy. Soon you will be dead and the world will go on without you.

View Quote

You win this round, Mr. Brightside.
We now return to your regularly scheduled normalcy!
Try not to have too much fun!

Everything Is AWESOME!!! -- The LEGO® Movie -- Tegan and Sara feat. The Lonely Island
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Freedom seeds.

What's in your garden? I'm making a list.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Red Wheat, White Wheat, Sweet Corn, Grain Corn, winter squash, tomatoes, peas, green beans, canning veggies, elderberry, echinacea, toothache plant, moringa, comfrey, horseradish, garlic, onions, potatoes, herbs, and then I’d plant an acre rotated each year in hardy storage squash, potatoes, and pumpkins for supplemented pig feed for our Kune pigs.

We’ve found the key to raising pigs is to raise them in the forest. They keep our understory churned up and free from a lot of dry debris which is a fire hazard they keep vines and other noxious plants down that would choke out old growth and new growth seedlings. They and the chickens and goats provide manure for compost to feed the gardens. If I had more time at home we’d have a milk cow, but it’s just too time intensive when there’s good local grass few milk for the kids and raw milk for yogurt and cheese making.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pot, probably.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top