Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2020 10:08:07 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Hi guise!  

I just got this envelope in the mail.  Super excited.  

Step 1 of getting a pair of custom boots made for me.  They need to know what my feet look like so they can make my boots for them.  

Attachment Attached File

So....some companies deliver a product that's good but everything else they cheap out on.  Not Nicks though.  The envelope it came in was nice.  The envelope in the envelope was nice.  The paper the foot tracing was printed on is super nice.  Like Rhodia nice.  

So far, I'm super stoked about how this is working out.  I'll get this taken care of today when the wife gets home.

Then they send a pair of try-on boots (not the ones they are making for me) before they start on mine to tweak anything that needs to be tweaked.

So, it's sort of a "what's in the box" thread but I'm waiting along with you all...and when the next step shows up, I'll update the thread.

Total cost (the boot I ordered is pretty "basic" compared to some of the things they can/will do) was $530 all in.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a photo?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got a photo?
View Quote
Will when they are delivered.  The leather hasn't even been cut yet.  Sent in my measurements and foot tracings today.

I got the builder pro in high arch....

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Will when they are delivered.  The leather hasn't even been cut yet.  Sent in my measurements and foot tracings today.

I got the builder pro in high arch....

https://d2sy6oohj0t1yx.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/75eed2686e01eb22cb4050b2f40ddf97/b/u/builder_pro_black_67_classic_high_arch_pair_front.jpg
View Quote
Wow!

When is delivery?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Those do look nice.

Too spendy for me, though, and Danner Rainforests fit me like a custom boot.

Boots by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow!

When is delivery?
View Quote
Dunno, probably end of may at earliest
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Those do look nice.

Too spendy for me, though, and Danner Rainforests fit me like a custom boot.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49761958881_d511eab9e3_b.jpgBoots by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote
Yeah, these that I got probably the last pair of serious boots I'll ever buy.

Spendy up front, but amortized over time...the cost (for me) is about equal to less expensive options with the added benefit of foot comfort.

Believe me, pulling the trigger on these hurt....but I spend a lot of hours in my boots and I miss that "formed to your foot" feeling I had when I was marching all over the place.

Danner makes a good boot, for sure.  But they dont fit my feet to save my life.  I tried, hard, to like them.  But my right foot has some old injuries that make it a slightly odd shape and different size than my left. So it's been a while since i really had both boots fit at the same time....
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Boots delivered.  They are so awesome, they let me defy the law of gravity.....

Anyhow, Nick's did a great job!  Very nice leather.  Not a stitch out of place.  I put them on and it was like they were part of my feet, a feeling I've not been able to achieve until this pair.  When they get broken in, they are going to be amazing.  

I like the high logger heel.  Wasn't sure I would, but yeah....plus I'm like 6'6" in these things.....so yeah.

I'm going to be getting a more dressy pair from Nick's when I have a chance.  This pair is worth the $, to me.....and I can see these easily lasting a LOOOONNNGGGGG time in my use.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Update:

So these have rapidly become quite comfortable.  Still have some break-in for the uppers, but overall.... the break-in has not been nearly as bad as I was led to believe.

Been wearing them on my morning 3 mile hike lately and have zero rubbing, hot spot or anything like that.

The scarpa mountaineering boots I had been wearing were worse to break in, retain a lot more heat, and are about as heavy while feeling heavier on my feet.  Now those scarpa boots are really comfy, they are better suited to colder temps, etc.

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#9]
There's something to love about companies that put that much attention to detail into their products. Whatever the industry, excellence like that is admirable.
That's a really tall heel.
How much do they weigh?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:13:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There's something to love about companies that put that much attention to detail into their products. Whatever the industry, excellence like that is admirable.
That's a really tall heel.
How much do they weigh?
View Quote
Yes tall heel.  Helps a lot with foot pain, hills, and my back.  Wasn't sure I'd like how tall they were, but I'm liking it.

They are heavy, haven't weighed them but my guesstimate is about 3lbs each boot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top