BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
North Springs range in Carbon County.

Goblin Valley, State Park

Maddox Steak House in Perry, UT

Smith & Edwards at Willard Bay (Near Perry, btw)

Hell's Backbone dand the Boulder to Grover highway.

Moki Dugway, and Goosenecks of the San Juan.

Flaming Gorge, make sure to hit the Red Canyon overlook.

Bear Lake, Garden City, get a raspberry shake.

Browning Museum at Ogden Union Station.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Slot canyons like Antelope Canyon by Page AZ.  Monument Valley.  There are lots of formations like Goblin Valley State Park, hoodoos,

Arches National Park.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:13:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Soaking if you can get a friend to jump on the bed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Land Cruiser Heritage museum
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Rent a SXS in Moab, and hit the trails.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Soaking if you can get a friend to jump on the bed.
View Quote

The old Provo pusher
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:08:18 AM EDT
[#8]
uMMM mETh of course
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The dinosaur museum at thanksgiving point is actually quite good and as a bonus, there’s Strap Tank Brewery across the freeway from it, next to cabelas.
View Quote

I’ve taken clients (their choice) to strap tank a few times.  The food is not good IMO.  it is a popular place though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:19:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Drive the famous RT12 from Escalante to Torrey.  One of the top scenic roads in the country.  Red rock canyon, wind through slick rock, over a razorback ridge with no guardrails and scant berms, through alpine meadows over Boulder Mountain.  Lots of places where the horizon is a loooong way off.  The town of Boulder was the last town in the 48 States to get year round mail delivery.
View Quote

This.  Hells Backbone is a cool side trip off of that route as well.  There's some great state parks in Utah worth a visual too.  Snow Canyon is a good one as is Goblin Valley.  The petroglyphs in Parowan Gap are worth a stop too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:21:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:39:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Canyonlands and Bryce.

Monument Valley and go back to Arizona from that direction.

Eat at the Swingin Steak in Mexican Hat on the way to Monument Valley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2gV9I205A

I hope they are still in business.
View Quote

Mexican Hat is my favorite super-small town. I really dig the convenience/grocery/souvenir shop/gas station/post office.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’ve taken clients (their choice) to strap tank a few times.  The food is not good IMO.  it is a popular place though.
View Quote

I'll second that.  I've been to several locations and tried to give them a chance.  The food just sucks.  The whole family shares that assessment.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Rent a SXS in Moab, and hit the trails.
View Quote

I didn't see much except trails and the brewery.  Was a great trip.  Planning a trip back for later this summer.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd advise against camping at mountain meadows.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The white knuckle drive up I-15 was exhilarating the times I did it.
View Quote

LOL!

that's our big takeaway this trip: the highways in the southwest suck.

they put a sign up saying "bump" when you are passing through road work, but no warning or speed reduction for the massive potholes.  I think from here on out 65 may be our high speed, despite the 75mph speed limit everywhere.  I value my life  and my truck!
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Soak
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

this is where the wife is leaning.  I'm kinda tired of national parks, tbh
View Quote

LOL like 87% of Utah is regional/state/national monument/park of some sort.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Stop at a small town city park for lunch and relax a little, enjoy the day.  From my experience, people in Utah are very friendly and pleasant to talk to.  I do this often when I travel.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#22]
There sure are an inordinate amount of Utah threads in gd
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Snowbird is still open for skiing/snowboarding! Go get wrecked on the west coast summer snow.

The lakes are all filling up nicely.

Natl parks are amazing down south as is Moab if you rent a SxS and do the slick rock trails

Downtown salt lake is full of libs, but it’s got some good food here and there. I’m not a huge fan.

If you want a random fun place, call and see if Moons Rare Books is doing a tour while you’re in town. They have first edition bibles from the 1400s and later, old historic relics, and any first edition signed you could probably think of. It’s 40 mins south of SLC in Provo. Wife and I loved the tour.

John Browning museum is amazing as well.

If you’re down by Capitol Reef, get Capitol Burger in Torrey. It’s a good truck and they have the best burgers in the state. Their FB shows where they’re parked each day.

Pando (the worlds largest organism) is down that way as well but it is literally just a forest of Aspen trees. But some biology/outdoors nerds love that.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Find a hot Mormon chick and appropriate some culture

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There sure are an inordinate amount of Utah threads in gd
View Quote

Jealous?

Quick, someone find a Florida man news article!
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'd advise against camping at mountain meadows.  
View Quote

I understood that reference.meme
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Find a hot Mormon chick and appropriate some culture

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/002/209/866/65b.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

ETA I'm an unworthy Christian.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Hittin' on hot Mormon chicks.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'll second that.  I've been to several locations and tried to give them a chance.  The food just sucks.  The whole family shares that assessment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, No on Strap Tank.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:36:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Come up to Fillmore and rent a side by side and tour the local mountain range.  Then go west to delta on 50 and 6 and go dig trilobites. Up 50 and 6 is the Sahara Rec area where you can play in sand and ride all over.  Go spend a night in Eureka (one of the old mining towns). Watch out for some of the local St. George lawyers  (think of Just Call Saul on steriods)
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:49:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting takes. I’ve been twice to the Lehi location and found the food to be fine both times. What would you suggest instead? Burger wise, JCW’s or Apollo burger are both good but damn expensive and the lines are ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:52:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL!

that's our big takeaway this trip: the highways in the southwest suck.

they put a sign up saying "bump" when you are passing through road work, but no warning or speed reduction for the massive potholes.  I think from here on out 65 may be our high speed, despite the 75mph speed limit everywhere.  I value my life  and my truck!
View Quote

You’ll drive people crazy and have them cursing you if you drive under the speed limit in the intermountain west and southwestern United States.

Speed limit 65: actual speeds 75-80.
Speed limit 70: actual speeds 80-85.
Speed limit 75: actual speeds 80-85.
Speed limit 80: actual speeds 85-90+.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:55:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Invite a Mormon, an ex Mormon and a never Mormon out to dinner. Ask offhand what they think of Utah, then order a beer, kick back, and watch the show.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:18:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ogden.  Make your pilgrammage to the St. Browning Monument.

Visit the museum at the former train station. Four museums there (train, Browning Automobile Collection and Browning Firearms Museum, forgot the fourth).  One of the train cars there is a WW II hospital car (contrast that to the one in the Civil War Museum of Medicine in Frederick, MD).

Utah is a pretty state.  Four corners?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ogden.  Make your pilgrammage to the St. Browning Monument.

Visit the museum at the former train station. Four museums there (train, Browning Automobile Collection and Browning Firearms Museum, forgot the fourth).  One of the train cars there is a WW II hospital car (contrast that to the one in the Civil War Museum of Medicine in Frederick, MD).

Utah is a pretty state.  Four corners?

Shoot I was in Ogden last week, I’ll have to check it out next time I’m out there.

Quoted:
Hill Air Force Base museum

I was gonna mention this one though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:16:11 AM EDT
[#36]
St. George, side-by-side rental. Go run wild over the dunes!
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You'll drive people crazy and have them cursing you if you drive under the speed limit in the intermountain west and southwestern United States.

View Quote

Truth mostly.

ARF Special.  SD, not UT but still...  Set the cruise to 87 mph.  Speed limit 80.  Watch the miles tick by.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Get soaked?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Children's Museum there is top notch as well if you have younger kids.

See if you can get tickets to the Timpanogos Cave Tour.
View Quote

Last I heard, the Tip Cave trail was closed and is being repaired due to washouts from the heavy snow
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Truth mostly.

ARF Special.  SD, not UT but still...  Set the cruise to 87 mph.  Speed limit 80.  Watch the miles tick by.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/P7180006_JPG-2841971.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll drive people crazy and have them cursing you if you drive under the speed limit in the intermountain west and southwestern United States.

Truth mostly.

80mph is too slow through a large swath of the Intermountain West. There’s a lot of ground to cover…
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

80mph is too slow through a large swath of the Intermountain West. There's a lot of ground to cover
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth mostly.

80mph is too slow through a large swath of the Intermountain West. There's a lot of ground to cover
People that haven't driven or ridden out there can not comprehend how freakin big and spread out the area is.  I also love crossing the Great Plains on two lane roads.  Mile after mile after mile of almost no one and vast fields of crops.  West of the Mississippi non-urban areas are awe inspiring.    

Reminds me of the 55 max speed limits supporting smooth brains.  55 might be OK in the way too crowded East Coast dreary and depressing places but is not OK out in the sane world.

Last September we ran into a newly retired guy from Brooklyn.  He was going on about his sister driving him FOUR HOURS to get somewhere.  FOUR HOURS!!!!!  He'd NEVER been that far from Brooklyn by car.  Flew places occasionally.  But BY CAR.  No way.  I told him about riding out West on a 14 day trip that covered 4700 miles (touristing so most days were fairly low miles).   He simply could not compute that.  Vaporlocked.  

The non-turbulent air bubble on my bike starts to collapse a bit at 90 or more.  I get mild helmet buffeting and more wind noise so I stay slightly under 90 when in mile munching mode.  70 mph speed limit on two lane roads and 80 mph on the interstate is great since 8 or 10 mph over the limit probably won't get you a second look by the police.

I did a driving trip out West in my youth.  19 years old in 1972.  Montana had no maximum speed limit during daylight hours.  That drive was really fun.  In other states, we drove as fast but with an eye out for cops which spoils the sightseeing.

Edit - Driving/riding West of the Mississippi on the interstate is a horrible waste.  I get that sometimes stints on the interstate is necessary.  Crossing Kansas on I70 sucks.  Crossing Kansas on Rt 36 is memorable - in a good way.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#42]
It begins

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Evidently the trannies are here

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Speed limits  I guess I'm a smooth brain, but I'm not driving 80MPH with a 9000 lb 34 foot RV in tow.

I exceed 70 only when necessary, and on most of these roads, that's pushing it.

I15 south through Utah the other week was like a rough boating trip.  86A to the Grand Canyon might as well be a dirt road.

I17 between Flagstaff and Scottsdale, WITHOUT the RV felt like we were going to achieve lift off at the 75mph posted speed limit.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Yep came here to say this. Wasn't expecting it to be as cool as it was.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Touring a distillery, getting a new tattoo and swinging are out.

Outdoor activities and museums are cool. Golf is nice. Public shooting ranges are top notch.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#47]
If you like roller coasters, you need to check out Lagoon Amusement Park.

"Cannibal" starts off with an inverted drop, and gets up to 60 mph. "Wicked" is another favorite that starts off by going straight up and then straight down.

Cannibal front seat on-ride 4K POV @60fps Lagoon

Wicked front seat on-ride HD POV @60fps Lagoon
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Skinwalker ranch
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Hang with some cool dudes,
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Made it to Torrey, getting burgers.

drive here was top notch.  Great suggestions!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top