Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a home made diary that stays in the truck. It has 7 different tabs and I have done this for every vehicle I have owned. It is basically a small "Cambridge - Limited" notebook that I have added colored tabs to keep the sections separated. Most receipts I keep in a folder at home.
1st tab is for fuel used and includes the date, current mileage, trip (since last fill up), how many gallons to fill up, total cost, which service station, and pice per gallon.
2nd tab is to document all lube maintenance - date, mileage, oil type, what maintenance item was done, service station/city, and cost.
3rd tab is for repairs done - date, mileage, type of repair, service station/city, and cost.
4th tab is for tire maintenance - date, mileage, replacement/rotation, who did the work, and cost.
5th tab is for trips taken - date, time of depart, destination/purpose, starting mileage, ending mileage, time of arrival, total time, total miles (I only log certain trips).
6th tab is for any upgrades or accessories added to the vehicle - date, mileage, what upgrade/accessory, who did the upgrade, and the cost
7th tab is miscellaneous items which is just some notes on how to do certain items,  when check engine light came on, truck registration date/cost, just some blank pages to write misc stuff down.
When I sell the truck, this book goes with it so the new owner knows when and what was done to the truck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#2]
My car has an oil light. When the oil light comes on, I change it.

Isn't that what the light is for?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This.  But I'm weird and use excel spreadsheet to keep track of lots of things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excel spreadsheet. L7og mileage, date, service performed, and part numbers used.
This.  But I'm weird and use excel spreadsheet to keep track of lots of things.
I spreadsheet almost everything.  Keep receipts in the car and fill out owners manual service pages as well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I just do stuff every 5k. It's easy for me to remember 0's and 5's on the odometer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#5]
17 pieces of equipment and 7 1 ton work trucks. Our mechanic keeps a big ass dry erase board with all the information on everything.

But also, he uses those little round 1/2" colored sticker dots and writes " oil 115,000 miles " or " hydraulic 2500 hrs " and puts them on the dash. It has worked wonders for our maintenance and service.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Change oil every 5,000ish, do a 60,000ish and 100,00ish regular maintenance. I keep cars about 10 years and 175,000ish. They do fine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep an excel spreadsheet with a tab for all of my vehicles including my camper and boat.  I keep track of the miles, and service I do.....oil changes, tire rotations, transmission fluid changes, anything I can think of.  It's nice to be able to go back and see what brands/type of tires lasted the longest, what brakes worked better than others, how many hours I put on the boat last year...etc, etc.

I think people that even DO regular maintenance (let along track it) are few and far between. Most people can barely remember to take their car in to get the oil changed on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#8]
The owner's manual and the odometer.

Receipts go into the folder in my file cabinet for each vehicle along with the other documents.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the odometer for oil changes and I fix things when they break.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Excel spreadsheet. Log mileage, date, service performed, and part numbers used.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use the car's service manual.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I mentally keep track of it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Fuelly App

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use the car's service manual.
View Quote
And Tax day.  April 15 and October 15, all vehicles get an oil change, as I never actually drive enough miles.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Paint marker on a clean flat surface under the hood.

Component/service - date - mileage

Recurring entries overwrite the previous one, so it only provides the last maintenance interval rather than a complete history, but that is all I need to know.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#16]
been using automotive Wolf for years.
easy to use. and track every single bit of car maintenance ,fuel use ,repairs  and much more.
cant remember the cost. but I get reminders when things are due based on mileage or time.
screenshot
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Those little widow stickers that you get at oil changes as a reminder.
Got a roll of them from the shop and I write the mileage on them myself.
Soon as it get's close I change the oil (if I've had the vehicle long enough).
View Quote
My car has a warning system for maintenance and tire rotations. I set the mileage and number of days out and it warns me whe I am close.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#18]
My brain?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Each vehicle has a small spiral bound notebook in the center console, and a manila folder for receipts in my file cabinet(s).

Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
One sheet with all service intervals. Save all receipts for when parts (belts, brakes, plugs, etc) and write mileage they were done at. I am sure there is someone here who uses this to tell them when to do service:

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.ed.edmunds-media.com%2Fnon-make%2Ffe%2Ffe_507113_600.jpg&f=1
View Quote
That would be me when I had my jeep. Now my car mostly tells me when it wants something(BMW 3 series) so kinda the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I work on them for a living. So I just wrote a repair order with what I did and close it out with no charges. Easy enough for me to go back and look at it.

When I worked on a fleet (15 trucks that ran 24-7) I had a binder with worksheets I made up the first there in the binder had the hours or milage the next service on everything was due next. Then I had a sheet for each maint item ( brakes, ball joints, tires, fluids , filters and such) with the date milage and hours documented each time I serviced them. Also had a sheet for each service with all that information and what was done, where parts were purchased wit prices and all that. How much time I spent on it, notes and all that, with receipts staples to it.

All this was done through a excel file for each vehicle so I wasn’t entering the same info repedativly. Then I would print updated pages for the binders. And the receipts got scanned before putting them in the binders.

This may seem like over kill but they are 15 identical trucks. It’s hard to keep track. He binders where kept ona shelf with truck numbers on them matching the numbers on the trucks.and were used more than the spreadsheets. The spreadsheets were used for backup and sending to ownership and  dealers wen requested for warrenty work.  I could easily run a report of  what maint costs were, what breakages occured and keep track of which milages things tended to break at.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Check engine light and service alerts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#23]
VINWIKI

end thread
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had been using the "car maintenance reminder pro" app that was purportedly backing up all my meticulously curated maintenance records for two vehicles, two tractors, a boat, and a Polaris Ranger....... until one day my android device crashed..... bummer.

Oh well.... at least all my records are backed up.

Not.

Those wounds are still fresh and it's been a year.

Fuck flaky app developers with a rusty shovel.
View Quote
VIN WIKI
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Box top off the oil filter. Mileage and date and any extra info needed. I dont keep records on brakes. Every fall antifreeze in all my vehicles need checked so no reason to keep that down.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top