Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Check The Milkman stuff out, best sounding amps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dutchman74:
Check The Milkman stuff out, best sounding amps.
View Quote
Sounds just like a healthy Fender amp to me.  Nice but not really getting my attention.

I've fallen under Marshall law and I don't want to be released!
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm old school

Link Posted: 9/10/2019 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Where in the hell's that like button?

I'm currently having WAY too much fun with my new (to me) JMP 1959 Superlead, 1973,  and JMP 2203 Master Volume, 1977.

Nothing else sounds like those true classic Marshalls.

I'm preparing to start production on restoration grade replacement metal front and rear panels for JMP Marshalls, starting with models 1959, 1987, 2203, and 2204.

Maybe you can give me some additional data on some JMP era Marshalls that help me fill in some gaps in my knowledge.  There seem to be a LOT of variations on the back
panels, and if you can post photos of backs and identify the model and year of that amp, it all goes into my database.

I'm starting out with the 1959 front panel both with and without the polarity toggle switch.  Two separate products.   Since the JMP era 1959 never had rocker switches, there are
only two panel variants for the 1959/1987 during the JMP era.   Beyond that point it gets more complex as the master volume models may have either toggles or rockers and I've see
three toggle master volume panels but have never seen a factory built Marshall JMP with three rocker switches.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MirrorMirror:

Where in the hell's that like button?

I'm currently having WAY too much fun with my new (to me) JMP 1959 Superlead, 1973,  and JMP 2203 Master Volume, 1977.

Nothing else sounds like those true classic Marshalls.

I'm preparing to start production on restoration grade replacement metal front and rear panels for JMP Marshalls, starting with models 1959, 1987, 2203, and 2204.

Maybe you can give me some additional data on some JMP era Marshalls that help me fill in some gaps in my knowledge.  There seem to be a LOT of variations on the back
panels, and if you can post photos of backs and identify the model and year of that amp, it all goes into my database.

I'm starting out with the 1959 front panel both with and without the polarity toggle switch.  Two separate products.   Since the JMP era 1959 never had rocker switches, there are
only two panel variants for the 1959/1987 during the JMP era.   Beyond that point it gets more complex as the master volume models may have either toggles or rockers and I've see
three toggle master volume panels but have never seen a factory built Marshall JMP with three rocker switches.
View Quote
Bless you!
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I dig your wall of doom!

Myself, I've really been digging this 5150 III EL34 I picked up a couple weeks ago. Gobs of good tones in this thing.

Link Posted: 9/11/2019 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MirrorMirror:
Another vote for a Mark IIC+.  I'm looking into making new preamp PC boards so I can convert a Mark III to a full IIC+ spec.

There might be a market for repro RP11 and RP12 preamp boards.

I use a Fractal Axe-FX II which is a great piece of gear.  I bought it hoping that it'd be more or less my last amp, and use it to closely replicate the sounds of a lot of amps I'd love to own but just have neither the money nor the space for.

Wrong.   I've bought more amps SINCE I got it than I had before!   The thing is a gateway drug!

I have a triple recto solo head now.  And a Rocket 44.  And a Studio .22 that I've since resold.  Nice amp but not quite my sound....

And, I got a 1979 silverface Fender Pro Reverb in astoundingly clean condition.  A real closet classic.   It had never been recapped but badly needed it.

So, that got done, along with ONE mod, to add reverb to the normal channel.   Which frankly was a really great choice.

Maybe not everybody realizes it, but in those classic Fenders, the normal channel is voiced differently from the vibrato channel, aside from the lack of reverb and tremolo.    The normal channel has a warmer bass response which makes it the go-to channel when I plug in my Strat.   I usually play humbuckers but for the Strat, the added warmth of the normal channel, now with reverb, really adds body to the strat's tone.

I'm seriously debating buying a Marshall JCM800 2203 model which is in utterly perfect shape, with matching 1960 cabinet.  Both pieces have lived in road cases since the day they were first bought and they've never been gigged.   Condition is "as it left the factory" and nothing short of that.

I've never had a Marshall.  That may be the one to change that.  But it's kinda pricey.

Of course I'd love a real Plexi,  a 1967 "black flag" version in all original condition.  But the price....
View Quote
Did you ever do the mod on your MKIII? I had some kind of C+ mod done on my MKIII by Mesa. I'm pretty sure it was Mike Bendinelli that did the mod. You might want to give them a call. They are real nice over there. They also did something to give the clean channel a little more life. Better yet buy a MKV. I bought one of the 25 watters a month ago and it has taken the place of my MKIII.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Main amp is a Matchless Lightning clone, wired to run EL 34’s.  Emery Sound Micro baby is sitting on top of that amp.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Trace Elliot V-6. 300 watts of English KT-88 goodness.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly I've kind of lost interest in the Mark III for now.  The tone I've been seeking is natural to a Marshall 2203, apparently.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer Tweed amps.
Tweed Pro and a Tweed Deluxe.

They sing!
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Recent acquisition:  Peavey 5150 II half stack.   MOre gain than you can use.
Old Faithful:  Fender M80 Stereo Chorus head into a Peavey 412MS in stereo mode. Fender clean, lush chorus - overdrive is a one trick pony but works good with  Peavey TubeFex or Rockmaster in front of it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Only one for me...

HIWATT DR103
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#14]
My two faves are a Marshall JMP 2203(6550) and Kruse-modded Fender Deluxe Reverb.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By sixgunner455:
I'm not a very sophisticated electric guitar player.  I've had exactly one amp, and it's a Raven.

The tone seems harsh sometimes.  Don't quite know how else to describe it, but while you can push it and make noise, it's hard to push it and make music.

I went looking for something better, and have been drooling ever since whenever I see or think about a Fender Blues Jr.  Huge step up in price and tone.

Compared to some of y'all's rigs, it ain't much to have as a dream amp, but since my guitar dreams are usually about expensive acoustics, it'll do.
View Quote

A guitar player I jam with has a Blues Jr.  Great sound.  Cuts through the mix with a drummer and bass player very well.

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 62GMC:
I've never played through very many different amps.  All I've got is a Peavey vypyr 100 (2x12) modeling amp.  I've got an older Peavey 10" that I keep at my friends house to play there.

I'd love to have a 2x12 or 4x12 setup of super quality though.  Not sure what brand.  I'm a cheap-ass though.

My favorite setup for playing at the moment is a Line6 floor pod hooked up to an old Pioneer stereo system with four 12" house speakers hooked to the A & B outputs and placed all around me.
View Quote

4X12s are cheap on the used market.  I've seen them as low as $80.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:

I would actually enjoy that so I could turn up loud enough to really get my power tubes to cooking and maybe run two amps too.
View Quote

It was loud.  My 80 watt M80 combo could not hold up the rhythm guitar job so it turned into a Peavey 4123MS cab and an M80 Stereo Chorus head.

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 4:28:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: greco] [#18]
I’ve got a full stable of Marshalls that I use most of the time. Some tunes sound good with Fenders, so this year I got the bug and bought this Super and VibroLuxe. Dave Boze from Michigan restored them and converted both to black face.  Oh man are they sweet. When my band plays I get goose bumps from the tone. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Dr Z!

My live rig..
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:37:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm mostly an old school Fender guy. Out of all mine, my favorite is my '62 brown Deluxe.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#21]

I would actually enjoy that so I could turn up loud enough to really get my power tubes to cooking and maybe run two amps too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rick-OShay:
Originally Posted By Lympago:
Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:
I would do horrible, vile things for a MKIIC+.

No doubt.  If there's a "classic" Boogie that deserves legendary status,  that's the one!

Personally,  the ultimate dream rig I'd love to own,  but would never want to move, would
be a Mark IIC+ Coliseum series head, (That's the one with three pairs of power tubes,
four 6L6s and two EL-34s,  or six 6L6s, giving up to 180 watts) with a pair of 4x12s
each loaded entirely with EVM-12Ls.   And better yet, put them all in hardwood cabinets,
I'd prefer curly maple.  This would not be a rig that went anywhere.  It would just be
used to kill small animals with sound.

CJ

This is always the part I don't understand about these over 100 watt tube amps, is that unless your using it for big shows where you can crank it up hard to heat the tubes up so the tone is fat and juicy, it's serious overkill.

Yeh you can use an attenuator to reduce the volume while heating the power tubes up, by your still running a huge rig sucking the power out of your wall socket and skyscrapering your power bill when you could have gotten a sweet 50 head and smoked up pretty much everywhere while getting more than enough volume for just about any normal show.
A real big show too will have a good PA anyways and you can mic it for even better stereo volume and sound.
Sorry, I don't want to stomp on people's amp dreams, but that's just my two cents on it.

Ever played in a band with a drummer inspired by John Bonham and Neil Pert, who had 11 toms in his 1978 Ludwig cedar shell drum kit - factory made with no bottom heads?  A drummer that had his own 24 channel board to mix the shock-mounted 57s in his kit?  And a bass player running 800 watts into 2X12 and 2X15 cabs to be heard over the drummer?

My drummer was John Hurt.  He simply wasn't made to be in this world.  I miss you brother, and I'll see you on the other side some day.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:

OMG, I still have a Fender M80 combo that I forgot about.  It's not the chorus version.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
I've heard fabulous tones coming form a Hughes and Kettner half stack, Marshalls, Dean markleys.

Most fun I've had is with one of these:

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/s--5iihS9lE--/a_exif,c_limit,f_auto,fl_progressive,h_620,q_75,w_620/v1459008143/dctasb7fn6kyelfoa7gd.jpg

with a Peavey Rockmaster or TubeFEX in front of it, and a Peavey MS412 cabinet downstream.   Yes, it's solid state, but the clean channel is better than a Roland Jazz Chorus, and with the pre-amps running right into the power amps, I got great sounds, and it never let me down.  All of the rig was sourced used except the cabinet.  Dirt cheap. Plus the chorus feature is fun!  Still have it.

OMG, I still have a Fender M80 combo that I forgot about.  It's not the chorus version.

I had that first.  Gave it to my sister along with a 1976 Fender Musicmaster.  ONly real downside fo the M80s is the fragile plastic jacks.  Don't strp on your cord!
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 2:55:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Im a gear whore.

I love me some high gainers.

My current line up is
Freidman JJ jr
Engl SE
Marshall 6100
KSR Ares
KSR Juno
Bogner Twinjet
Randall Thrasher
Mesa MarkV25
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Currently working on getting my old Peavey Tubefex set up for effects, noise gate, and an opverdive to hit the 5150 II a little harder.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 7:13:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968] [#25]
I just started trying to learn guitar in January and started with a Boss Katana 50 and quickly realized it wasn't for me.  Nothing wrong with the amp, it's that I wanted a much simpler, tube amp.  I was really interested in the Fender Blues Junior but Fender rarely offers attractive financing options (ie, 0% interest over multiple years) and my research led me to the Supro Delta King 12, which is a 15 watt, 12" speaker amp designed to directly compete with the Blues Jr.  I think it was a bit cheaper but Supro offered good financing, so I went that route.

At first, I liked the amp but considered it too "dirty" for my tastes.  Now that I've been using it for six months, I really appreciate that dirtiness.  I never touch the boost and drive switches, preferring to go with pure tube tones.

This guy just did a pretty good demo:

Don't Buy A Fender Blues Jr Until You've Seen This

Mine is more neutral in color:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Currently working on getting my old Peavey Tubefex set up for effects, noise gate, and an opverdive to hit the 5150 II a little harder.
View Quote

I loved my old TubeFex but hated the stepper motor noise.

That unit sounded pretty good going into a classic 50:50 EL84 power amp amp, through a stereo 4x12.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Azygos:

That unit sounded pretty good going into a classic 50:50 EL84 power amp amp, through a stereo 4x12.
View Quote

Plan is to put it in the effects loop of the 5150 as the amp itself has no reverb, and set up patches with a noise gate, hum filter, various effects, and the tube or SS preamps to tighten up the amp.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Azygos:

View Quote

Plan is to put it in the effects loop of the 5150 as the amp itself has no reverb, and set up patches with a noise gate, hum filter, various effects, and the tube or SS preamps to tighten up the amp.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top