Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2018 9:19:08 AM EDT
Looking at doing a ham for Thanksgiving (yes, we will be having turkey as well) and wanted a different recipe other than throwing in a pan and into the oven.
What do you have for me??
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Holiday Ham Recipe

^ simple but delicious.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Costco spiral ham
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looking at doing a ham for Thanksgiving (yes, we will be having turkey as well) and wanted a different recipe other than throwing in a pan and into the oven.
What do you have for me??
View Quote
I just cross hatch score the top of the ham for appearance and bake.

Occasionally I make red eye gravy from the drippings too.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
All hams you buy are already cooked.................

Kentucky Legend are quite good.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All hams you buy are already cooked.................

Kentucky Legend are quite good.
View Quote
Not true, talking about fresh hams in addition to the pre-package cooked hams in the foil and netting wrap.
Just looking for better ways to improve the flavor of the hams.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are talking fresh hams, meaning uncured, unsmoked hams, well then!

Roast in a big roasting pan with plenty of spare room at 325, plan 18mins/lb.

Meanwhile, peel and halve, third, quarter potatoes depending on size. Zap in micro wave in porcelean bowl, with 2
tbs of bacon drippings stirred in, 5mins, stir, 3mins, stir 3mins till done and put in roasting pan with fresh ham. Baste.

Baste every 15mins, including potatoes. Turn potatoes once in the process.

Peel and cut carrots to size. Boil til almost done, drain well. Reserve until 30mins cooking time left for fresh ham. Place in roasting pan with fresh ham. (In the bigger of my ovens, once the center temp of a large cut of meat or turkey starts to climb, it climbs roughly 1*/minute.)

Make chicken or beef broth + flour mix in jar to thicken drippings for gravy.

When ham done, about 150*  remove from oven and pan, place on carving board and cover with HD foil. Place carrots and potatoes in covered chaffing dish to keep warm. Make gravy in pan with drippings, will need a flat wisk.

Boil green beans quickly 3mins.

Serve and feast.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Pre-cooked spiral sliced ham.

Put ham in paper grocery bag with opening to the side and set in glass baking dish..  Pour in half a coke or Dr. Pepper (optional).  You can sprinkle a little dry rub on it but I don't.

Fold over bag opening a time or two and staple shut.  Bake at 325 for an hour and a half to two hours.

All the chemicals and carcinogens that people will tell you is in the bag makes it taste fantastic.  Everybody I've ever fed all the chemicals and carcinogens to said it was the best ham they ever ate.

I now have about half a dozen friends/relatives feeding chemical and carcinogen laced, delicious, smoky flavored hams every time they serve one.  Or I cook one on my smoker.  That's a different recipe.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Since you live in GA hopefully you own a smoker unless you are a JAYFA (Just Another Yankee From Atlanta).

I take said spiral sliced precooked ham and put on a rack in a full size steam pan.  Mix Dreamland or other BBQ sauce and honey 50/50.  Brush all over ham and between slices then set ham face side down on rack.  Smoke with hickory and pecan about 30/70 at 350 for 2 hours.

Best ham I ever ate.  I do sprinkle some sugary dry rub on this one after the BBQ sauce and before cooking.  You can do this one on most grills using indirect heat unless you're one of those Egg faggots.  Everything an Egg faggot has ever cooked for me has been burned.  If you are one of them don't ask me for any more advice- you'll just burn it then declare your Egg cooked the best ........... in the world.

Grilled ham is best ham.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top