Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Somehow I forgot having a bone infection in a finger.  In my twenties, I had an excruciating pain in a finger.  Went to my doc who, after X-rays, deduced it was a bone infection.  He prescribed me some strong antibiotics and warned if it wasn’t completely pain free in 48 hours, the finger would have to be amputated.  If I waited longer, amputation was further up.  The pain level at the finger was enough that I told him, ok, I’ll be back in a couple of days if it’s not gone.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Getting banned for 6 months....
View Quote
should have made it a perma ban
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a relatively simple shoulder surgery that caused me quite a bit of pain for a couple months.

But this was probably a bit worse.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I will echo the herniated disc.
Naproxen, tramadol, norcan? , nothing stopped the pain.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Lower back muscle spams a few days after fracturing L2 in a cycling accident.

Needle to the penis to prep for a procedure surprisingly painful.

metal in the eye. The metal part wasnt bad it was after they dug it out and my eye got hit with direct sun light on the way to get my eyepatch at the hospital pharmacy.

Badly dislocated shoulder that cut the nerve to my deltoid was pretty painful as well. Took forever to put back in and they took a ton of xrays before they started to try.

a few kidney stones here and there and other fractures but the above were the worst.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
kidney stone
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
So far, an abscessed tooth.  Pain medication did nothing. Penicillin made the pain go away within a couple hours.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Kidney stone is the only time I've said "10" on the pain scale.

Smashing a digit with a hammer or dislocating a knee is horrible at first, but pretty quickly let' off and starts throbbing.

A kidney stone is 12 (in my case) hours of non stop excruciating pain that nothing helps to decrease, until you get the sweet relief of morphine.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Physical?  Having my gallbladder decide it didn't like me anymore.  Didn't help that when I needed to go to the ER that the now ex took the bumpy back roads at 35 rather than taking the highway at normal speed.

Emotional?  Having the now ex brainwash my 2 kids against me and as a result not having any hope of seeing them again.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Kidney stone

Dirt bike accident(s)

Broken arm(s)

Cut my thumb off (it got better )

Flattened my left index finger with a framing hammer

Same framing hammer, a second time

Fell off a barstool, drunk, broke my knee. Still have a limp.

I don’t know what hurt the worst. Life is painful, then you die.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Having my testicles tortured by a few people (I.e., 12-20 people testing me for a testicular torsion at a teaching hospital, when I had epididimitis)

Followed by a kidney stone.

The kidney stone was very painful, I couldnt move, when I had 12-20 people squeeze my tender, swollen testicles I couldnt stop screaming... Granted I was 9 years old but it was fucking terrible.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Disc at L4-5 herniated and impinged directly on my spinal cord.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Having broken teeth pulled from broken jaw and jaw wired, gums stitched, detached lip sewn back on while not able to have pain meds other then the site injection type...
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lotta people never had a Kidney stone here.
View Quote
THIS ^
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Foot surgery on the bottom of my foot to cut out a wart when I was a kid.  (eta - without numbing.)

Worse than getting shot.
View Quote
Hell, I've had a bunch of things that were worse than getting shot.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Pulled back or root canal procedure.

Most dangerous condition was an abscess on my tonsil that was suffocating me.  Had to have a doctor puncture it, drain it with a needle (what he showed me he poured out was black liquid), and then lance it.  If I had gone to sleep that night instead of the ER, I would have suffocated in my sleep.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Impacted colon resulting from a strangulated umbilical hernia I never did anything about. I've had it fixed since.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So far, an abscessed tooth.  Pain medication did nothing. Penicillin made the pain go away within a couple hours.
View Quote
I've been shot with a gun and blown up with an EFP...

Abcessed tooth was way worse.  Finally got into a dentist and he drilled into it and the fluid drained.  Holy god, best thing ever.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Black widow bite.

Not the bite the pain from the venom 50+ hours of hell
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Physical therapy after knee replacement surgery.

Morphine sulfate + Duragesic patch and I still screamed through that shit.  Took two pretty big guys to hold me down while a third cranked on my knee and I'm a shrimp.

Kidney stone was #2.

Weak anesthetic during the vasectomy was #3.

ETA: How did I forget shingles!?  That shit sucks too.  I'd put it ahead of the kidney stone because of the length of time shingles lasts.

IF YOU ARE OLD ENOUGH FOR THE SHINGLES VACCINE, GET IT.  Even if you have to pay out of pocket for it.  It's like the world's worst sunburn coupled with being electrocuted at random times plus oozing sores.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Had a blood vessel almost burst in my skull.  Brain aneurysm.  Was hands down the most excruciatingly painful thing I've ever experienced.  Nuerologist told me that he had haf patients that have been shot, given birth" etc. That have told him nothing else compares.  Its strange because some people have them and get no pain and just kill over one day.

I've played football and boxed etc., had a lot of broken bones and injuries over the years.  Ive been shot too.  The pain of that aneurysm made the gunshot wound seem like a walk in the park.  It was the only time in my entire life that I actually prayed to God to help me with the pain.  It was horrible.  I have a fucking high tolerance for pain too, fuck I kind of like a certain amount of pain in a sick kinda way sometimes.  That shit was awful.

I am very blessed to be here today.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#22]
First thing to come to mind is when I punched my hand through a window by accident and sliced my wrist/arm very bad. The skin started to roll up kinda while waiting for them to stitch it up. When the doc pulled skin back and cleaned the raw flesh underneath was probably the most painful several seconds of my life
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#23]
5th metatarsal in right foot fracturing and poking out the side of my foot during games for half a season.  Docs would poke 2 needles in it at half time and put it back in place

right shoulder 70% separation, played 6 games like that, it would dislocate and lock and I'd have to get it replaced during game.

kidney stones.  Those are not fun either.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Hemorrhoid surgery the kind where you are put to sleep and they cut your asshole out not laser or rubber band shit
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When they gutted me, cut off over half my colon sewed the two remaining halves back together, pushed it all back in and stapled the 10 inch or so  cut in my abdomen shut with  23 staples.
View Quote
December 27, 2014 I started hurting in my left side.  I'd had kidney stones before and thought that was it.  So, I started drinking water like a fish.  December 30th, I dropped to the floor.   Naturally what did I do?  I drove myself to the ER.

They hit with a double dilaudid.  Nothing.  I got scanned and they took me back to the ER.  Five minutes later, I can see the the ER Doc running to my room.  He's leaning on the gurney, panting and said,"Something - can - not - qualified - surgeon - on - the - way.".

Third dilauded.  It still hurt but I didn't fucking care.  I don't agree with abusing drugs.  But, I now understand it.

The surgeon gets there and explains that my colon had ruptured.  He asked me what my pain level was.  "I've never been hit by a bus or shot; I'd give it an eight."

"Bullshit!  You're a 12.  I worked trauma in Chicago for 10 years.  This is exactly what being shot is."

"Then why the fuck did you ask?"

"I wanted to know your tolerance to pain.  Because you're going to be a 10 for at least a week."

He explained the procedure.  When he got to the leave it open, have a bag, then a second surgery to put it back together; I said, "No. You have one shot.  I'm not going through this twice.  If you can't stretch it, take out a kidney.  I've got a spare."

"We don't normally do it like that."

"Normally?  Or you're not good enough?  If you're not, find someone who is."

He laughed and said, "Okay.  But if I can't, I'm doing it the other way."

"If you can't; wake me up and we'll talk about it."

Nine hours of surgery and I'll be damned if he did it.  I lost 13 inches of my colon.

He told my wife if I had waited another day I'd have died.

The lesson is:  Listen to your body and don't ignore pain.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Kidney stone, without a doubt. Prior to that, it was gall stones. But that pain was a walk in the park compared to my kidney stone.

I hope and pray to never have to experience that again.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#27]
When I was a kid on several occasions I must have slept with my head turned to one side or the other and it would lock that way. So I'd wake up and not be able to turn my head without 12/10 pain. I'd have to just lay there for hours until I could get it to turn.

Sneezing after open heart surgery was pretty awful too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to get cluster headaches,   I wouldn't wish that shit on anybody,  it's truly a pain that makes you look for a bullet.

I've had knees repaired ( meniscus x2 and a torn PCL for good measure  ),  broken collar bone, torn tendon when I folded my thumb behind my hand,  broken wrist,  gout,
kidney stone, hernia,  I'd do all those again twice before I'd like another cluster headache.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Too numerous to list. I seem to be a magnet for pain internally or externally Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How in the unholy blue fuck did you manage to do that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been fucked up a lot, but the 1st thing that hurt me the most was getting all 10 of my toenails ripped off at the same time.

How in the unholy blue fuck did you manage to do that?
I was hiding behind a door that opened in, I was bare foot. I was going to scare my wife when she came home. Somehow she knew I was behind the door as soon as she came in she pushed the door in as hard as she could. The bottom of the door went over my toes and ripped off all of my toenails at the same time. The door was stuck on top of my feet, when she pulled it off it scraped off the skin on the top of my feet.  I couldn't walk for 3 days and missed a week of work. Bitch still thinks that shit is funny 22 years later.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Crushing three fingers on my left hand and blowing out the finger nails on 2 of them. 6 pins total(3-ring finger,3-middle finger). Surgeon was surprised they were cut off from the weight and speed of the trailer door coming down on them. Delivering freight to a customer 15-16yrs ago that had no loading dock.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#33]
1) While getting a implant, the dental surgeon said, sorry I have to move a nerve. Sharpest worst pain ever, but it was over in seconds.
2) Broken radius and ulna in 2 places, but my body killed the pain for me so it wasn't that bad overall.
3) Accidentally touched a spinning flap disc being spun by a grinder. Got sand paper splinters. It was negative 3 degrees out so thankfully my hands were numb when I had to pull the splinters out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Toss up between gall bladder attack and having my arm debreved and then shaved with a major burn.  The burn pain lasted a lot longer and pain killers did nothing to aleviate.

I don’t know how people with burns over substancial parts of their body survive
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Broken shoulder blade. I shutter even thinking about it 17 years later.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#36]
When I was young, I stepped on a nail and that poked through the top of my foot. I thought that hurt a bit.  Then I had a kidney stone and thought that was pretty miserable. Then I did dialysis and they pulled way too much water from my system. Im not even sure how to quantify the pain. I would rather walk on nails poking through the top of my foot with multiple kidney stones at the same time for weeks on end versus losing too much fluid.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Two 1/2" wide spots of MRSA infected on my leg. Hospital only took care of one. Went to the doctor 2 days later and was told any later and I would have lost 1/4 of my leg. Needless to say the numbing shot didn't do a damn thing when there's a two holes in your leg 1/2" deep.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Emotionally is holding my dads hand while he choked to death after having to make the call to pull the plug.

Physically it’s hardbto say but recovering from a dislocated foot with 3 tibia/fibia fractures is getting old and tedious. Post surgery was 1000 times worse than the break.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#39]
A simple re-do of a surgery to my hip turned out to be the worst. I've had several bad ones: kidney stone; gout (resulting in the cutting off of my wedding band in the ER); gall bladder infection; and a brief, very painful experience with the removal of drains from my chest... but really, the worst pain was -- unexpectedly -- the simple re-do.

They said they had to simply tighten two screws in my hip. They wound up removing ½ the head of my femur, adding two more screws, and adding a wire in a "figure 8" configuration. I think the pain was from the wire impinging on soft tissue or bone. It really felt like a knife scraping against bone with no end in sight. The pain was handled with Dilaudid (after Demerol and tylenol-codeine both failed).
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I’ve also been told by 3 different doctors I should, would or could have been dead on three different occasions. [other times no doctors were around to say one way or the other but I’d say they were close calls] Fort Belvoir is one of the better hospitals I was at
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#41]
tore my hamstring off my pelvic bone.  Close second was the end of the 8 day constipation following the surgery
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My son dying in a car crash. Hasn’t stopped hurting in 8 years
View Quote
I hope you can have some peace someday.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#43]
A spinal tap that was done 6 times over 3 months

They take out spinal fluid and the headache it causes is unbearable

Asprin don't do shit
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Everytime I stub my toe, it's the worst pain I've ever been in.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#46]
No pain I’ve experienced came as close as a kidney stone.
Remember being parked in my car flopping around like a fish waiting for my son to arrive to take me to the ER.
Remember thinking at least it’s it’s 2016 not 2 or 3 hundred years earlier.
Almost a claustrophobic type fear as well as pain, I couldn’t get away from it.
I normally have low blood pressure.
Recall it was 215 over 180 at the ER.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Open root on a front tooth!!!!

Had a emergency to have my front tooth root closed.
Worst pain ever! I was at work and was crying so bad
that they took me in to get it fixed!

Originally had my front tooth for a stud, for a bridge
and cut down the tooth for it, but forget to cap the root
when they did it originally.

IS IT SAFE  !!!!!!  ????????
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Hamster biting me on the tip of my finger.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Physically few broken bones, dental work where the anesthesia wore off, that time my dog ball shotted me and I was out of commission for a few days.

Worst pain was emotional. My uncle died and I found out when my estranged brother called up to check on me. Turns out my uncle was on his deathbed for two months and the rest of my family didn’t care enough to tell me. At the funeral their reaction was “we didn’t tell you, so what? Why is that a problem” That was the final piece of bullshit that made me realized I didn’t have family. Just acquaintances that look like me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Gallbladder, 2 months of on and off pain while going through the hoops that my health insurance required before surgery was approved.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top