Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2019 9:36:36 AM EDT
A semi-automatic rifle that is fed via detachable magazines and fire a full-powered rifle cartridge. I’ll arbitrarily add the magazine must have at least a 20 round capacity.

It looks like cheap AR10s can be had for $600
PSA Gen2 PA10 18" Mid-Length .308 WIN Stainless Steel Classic Rifle.

Century has its CETME clone the C308 CLASSIC RIFLE for $640.

PTR GI a G3 clone in 3rdplace isn’t even close at $950+

DSA FALs are right at $1000.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]
probably C308

If you don't mind push button release and inspecting it yourself because Century Arms
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote
Came here to post this.

You just cannot go wrong with a DSA FAL, had one for over a decade and its been a dream .

Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say a PTR-91 is the best value in battle rifles. It's a quality, proven design, with full factory support. It's Rugged, with cheap mags, a large aftermarket, plus you can get a railed ptr for easy optics mounting. I say no to the fal for the lack of a optics rail on most models, and one fal mag costs as much as 10 ptr surplus mags. Although ptr mags are creeping up in price slowly.

That said, I'd rather have my own Ruger SR-762 rifle than any of those options. It's got Ar15 ergonomics, cheap pmags and it's accurate as shit. Easily 1/2 moa.  I had two of them, but traded one for a 4x4 truck.  I use the truck everyday, but I miss that second sr762. I also managed to buy two spare BCG assemblies, and two extra bolts from ruger for spare parts. They will also sell you extractors, firing pins, etc.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
probably C308

If you don't mind push button release and inspecting it yourself because Century Arms
View Quote
Of that list, probably.  They pop up for sale at the $600ish mark every once in a while, I think I got mine for $590something out the door after discount.

It's a fun gun to shoot but I'd recommend you compare a few of them as said and learn a little bit about roller locks.

I've had mine for about 18 months and recently passed the 1k round mark. It hasn't been totally trouble free but on the plus side G3/Cetme parts are cheap
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Hebrew War Hammer
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Armalite Def 10?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah but which has the best reliable steel magazines cheap?
Which is the most reliable and has acceptable "battle" accuracy?
Which has the best selection of quality aftermarket parts?
Which feeds and extracts all kinds of ammo especially mil surp?
Which is the best optics platform?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#8]
How’s the reliability/accuracy of the cheap PSAs?  PTR has best mix of reliability, mag availability, etc out of the old school traditional options.

Cheap AR-10s?  If they work well, they’re the winner.

FAL mags are scarce and optics mounting options are expensive.

C308s are century products.

PTRs can be had with the paddle mag release, a welded optics rail, and a box of of mags for the price of 3 FAL mags.  Better gun than the FAL for slotting floppies?  Debatable.  Better gun to purchase right now as an American gun owner?  Abso fucking lutely.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#9]
If you can wait awhile PSA will have their AR10 on sale for under $500.  I got mine for $480 delivered last year in the Labor Day special
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#10]
LOL, cheap bastard.

What else do you cheap out on???

LOVE my ptr91 sbr.

Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How’s the reliability/accuracy of the cheap PSAs?  PTR has best mix of reliability, mag availability, etc out of the old school traditional options.

Cheap AR-10s?  If they work well, they’re the winner.

FAL mags are scarce and optics mounting options are expensive.

C308s are century products.

PTRs can be had with the paddle mag release, a welded optics rail, and a box of of mags for the price of 3 FAL mags.  Better gun than the FAL for slotting floppies?  Debatable.  Better gun to purchase right now as an American gun owner?  Abso fucking lutely.
View Quote
PTR makes and assemblies at least  portions of the C308
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#12]
What about the m1A, socom or scout?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LOL, cheap bastard.

What else do you cheap out on???

LOVE my ptr91 sbr.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177719/20170424-212944-194742.jpg

View Quote
I have a SCAR 17S for me. This would be for a cheap backup BR.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A semi-automatic rifle that is fed via detachable magazines and fire a full-powered rifle cartridge. I’ll arbitrarily add the magazine must have at least a 20 round capacity.

It looks like cheap AR10s can be had for $600
PSA Gen2 PA10 18" Mid-Length .308 WIN Stainless Steel Classic Rifle.

Century has its CETME clone the C308 CLASSIC RIFLE for $640.

PTR GI a G3 clone in 3rdplace isn’t even close at $950+

View Quote
Personally, I'd move the CETME to the end of the list, simply because Century's quality is a complete crap shoot.

I'm torn on the PTR vs the FAL. I personally think the FAL is the better rifle of the two, but as many have already pointed out, the price and availability of magazines is its biggest weakness.

I think the AR10 is the clear winner, based on price, availability, and modularity.

There are other options such as the M1A, Tavor, RFB, and SCAR; but they share some of the same problems. Namely, the cost of the rifle itself, and the cost and availability of magazines.

It's really hard to beat the AR10, especially at today's current prices.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#15]
As far as the least inexpensive goes the AR-10 wins.....By a mile.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#16]
In that category I own a PTR91, M1A Socom, DSA FAL voyager 16'' and a Gen2 PA-10 18'' SS.

My PA10 gets the win, it is the cheapest by a long shot, most accurate has the 2nd cheapest but currently most available mags (PTR gets the win on this I bought a case of 100 for like $55 bucks many years ago) and I am intimately familiar with the manual of arms because it is the exact same as an AR.  It loses on wight but not really an apples to apples comparison the FAL and M1A are bare bones iron sights where I have a mount,optic and light and bi-pod on the PA10.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's really hard to beat the AR10, especially at today's current prices.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#18]
The C308 is the winner in the price category and mags. PTR has a big hand in their production as well. Mine was 2 MOA and very reliable. Down side is shit egos and shit trigger.

The AR10 platform has it all. Reliable, accurate, egos are typical AR. Great triggers are available. And cheap reliable mags are now available from Magpul.

The PSA Gen. 2 guns are a known quantity now. Every issue they have can be fixed by you if it pops up. The basic platform, lower receiver, upper receiver and barrel and all pretty good to excellent. Everything else can be fixed or replaced.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Century C308 is the best value right now. Mags are cheap and easy to find and .308 surplus is available. I own one a love it. Worth the 550$ I paid.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd say PSA. Nothing against JLD & co., but even when the 91 platform is executed perfectly, it is still far from ideal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought the PSA special it has a rebate with free mags and scope mount I'm very happy with it so far.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#22]
For the price? AR or used PTR.

I was a new gun owner who got burned by a Century CETME. So, personally, I won't consider a C308. You can get a used PTR for a couple hundred more. There's one in the EE right now for $750.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Probably about to have a scare, so value on these may change...

With the two big anti-gun bills that just passed the House.

'Universal background checks (+fees)' and indefinite transfer delays.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I find cost and value to be different propositions. The least expensive option is rarely the best value.
I put a high value on a good roller lock.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Armalite Def 10- mins ran like a sewing machine.

Don’t know much about the PSA offerings. I do know the roller locks (G3/Cetme/PTR etc) are uber reliable (if built correctly) but the ergos and triggers suck hard.

Get a Galil Ace in 7.62x51. Great rifle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Aero M5E1 based build.

You can get the upper, lower and handguard for $300 shipped and I think the M5 LPK is only another $40. Toss in a Toolcraft BCG for $125 and you’re sitting at $465.

Just add in your preferred trigger, barrel assembly and grip/stock.

You’ll be Around $850ish total and but no PTR or FAL can come close to the AR platform for accuracy, ergonomics or ease of adding accessories/optics. And if your preferences change, the AR is easily adaptable unlike a PTR or FAL. The Aero M5e1 base is going to be worth the minor upgrade over the PSA rifle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Of that list, probably.  They pop up for sale at the $600ish mark every once in a while, I think I got mine for $590something out the door after discount.

It's a fun gun to shoot but I'd recommend you compare a few of them as said and learn a little bit about roller locks.

I've had mine for about 18 months and recently passed the 1k round mark. It hasn't been totally trouble free but on the plus side G3/Cetme parts are cheap
View Quote
Second this statement. I don't have quite that many rounds through mine, but my C308 has been a champ. The only problem I have had was learning to reassemble
the bolt to the carrier....Thanks, YouTube.

Too many folks on this forum seem to not know or not care that the C308's barrel, receiver and FCG are pure PTR made.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I gave the pa-10 and like it, cant say too much on accuracy havent taken it out to far just shot it for close quick groups with a rough zero.

Where do you get the surplus ammo? Im having a hard time finding even cheap zqi at walmart
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm working over this decision right now too.  I want one with some historical appeal so I'm split between the value of the PTR-91 and the better ergos of the DSA Cold War model.  My decision depends on the day you ask me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Second this statement. I don't have quite that many rounds through mine, but my C308 has been a champ. The only problem I have had was learning to reassemble
the bolt to the carrier....Thanks, YouTube.

Too many folks on this forum seem to not know or not care that the C308's barrel, receiver and FCG are pure PTR made.
View Quote
I'm not so concerned with where the parts are made, I'm more concerned with who's assembling them.

Having seen some earlier Century rifles with no shortage of problems, I'm hesitant to buy anything assembled by them.

Does anyone else remember when they used to grind the rollers down by hand, often leaving them misshapen and out of round? Worse yet, there were also instances where they would grind the bolt face to adjust the bolt gap, rather than taking the time to adjust it properly.

No thanks, I'll pass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I gave the pa-10 and like it, cant say too much on accuracy havent taken it out to far just shot it for close quick groups with a rough zero.

Where do you get the surplus ammo? Im having a hard time finding even cheap zqi at walmart
View Quote
I haven't seen zqi in a long time.  If you want brass cased ammo, Target sports usa has 145 grain Privi by the case at $.54/round ($.50/round if you're a prime memeber), if you're ok with steel cased, they have 145 grain Tula Military classic for $.36/round ($.33/round prime).  Just stay away from any Indian surplus in a roller lock.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Buy beware on the Century C308.
It’s luck of the draw if your’s work or not.
I bought one second hand for cheap.
It has never fired more that two rounds without jamming.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#33]
PTR mag prices are cheap. Maybe thatll make up for the cost of the gun?
Cetmes take the same mags but as said Century Arms
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, the “large AR” platform is the cheapest and the most capable by a pretty decent margin....

This really isn’t a tough question.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well, the “large AR” platform is the cheapest and the most capable by a pretty decent margin....

This really isn’t a tough question.
View Quote
Pretty much anything else is a bit of a dated design at this point, unless you want to spend quite a bit more money.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I love them but they aren't cheap. Mags are still expensive compared to H&K but are in line with FAL mags.

My son's SOCOM is a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Scout Squad with USGI flash hider is best M1A.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Just to attack this from a different angle: an M1 Garand from the CMP is the current best value for battle rifles.  A decent service grade can be had for $750.  If you decide you don’t like it you can, in a free state, take it to any gun show and unload it for $900-$1,000 cash quite easily.  If by luck of the drawer you get a particularly nice or parts correct rifle from the CMP it’s not hard to see $1,200 for one.  Although the market could/will change and we could see sudden spikes in more modern battle rifle prices a CMP Garand is the only one you could immediately flip and make 20% on.

As far as capability for the $ an AR-10 is the hands down winner considering the deals that PSA offers however I don’t think it’s an exceptional value unless the legal climate changes for the country as a whole.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#39]
dude is on ARFCOM asking whats the best value in a battle rifle when AR's are like $250
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
dude is on ARFCOM asking whats the best value in a battle rifle when AR's are like $250
View Quote
"Battle rifles" fire a full power cartridge, not an intermediate powered cartridge such as 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you can wait awhile PSA will have their AR10 on sale for under $500.  I got mine for $480 delivered last year in the Labor Day special
View Quote
Post groups, please.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
You have been here since 2006 and I even provided the definition in the OP. You have no excuse sir!
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Beater CMP M1 Garand, rebarreled to .308.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just to attack this from a different angle: an M1 Garand from the CMP is the current best value for battle rifles.  A decent service grade can be had for $750.  If you decide you don’t like it you can, in a free state, take it to any gun show and unload it for $900-$1,000 cash quite easily.  If by luck of the drawer you get a particularly nice or parts correct rifle from the CMP it’s not hard to see $1,200 for one.  Although the market could/will change and we could see sudden spikes in more modern battle rifle prices a CMP Garand is the only one you could immediately flip and make 20% on.

As far as capability for the $ an AR-10 is the hands down winner considering the deals that PSA offers however I don’t think it’s an exceptional value unless the legal climate changes for the country as a whole.
View Quote
The M1 is a very good rifle. But a detachable magazine of 20 rounds is a huge advantage.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Came here to post this.

You just cannot go wrong with a DSA FAL, had one for over a decade and its been a dream .

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/126166/984956500/wm_4733597.jpg
View Quote
Those have always seemed like nice rifles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Buy beware on the Century C308.
It’s luck of the draw if your’s work or not.
I bought one second hand for cheap.
It has never fired more that two rounds without jamming.
View Quote
Scrub, scrub, scrub the gas flutes that extract the cartridge and try running steel case
Wolf.

You may just be shocked at the performance.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
I really like the looks of the DEF 10
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I have an old CETME LE, L1A1 (Aussie) and an HK91 and all run well (I like the HK91/G3 clone the best of the 3).

Having said that, I'd go with the AR10 for cost mainly, but the accessory market is much wider for them as well, as in rails, stocks, you name it. I may put one together soon myself for just those reasons.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The M1 is a very good rifle. But a detachable magazine of 20 rounds is a huge advantage.
View Quote
I fully agree, and for social use I would never choose a Garand over an AR-10, FAL, HK or other more recent design.  However a CMP Garand is one of the few rifles I can think of where it’s “value” in the open market is greater than the selling price.  Now having said that I have yet to sell a CMP Garand, but it always made me feel just fine about buying another.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#50]
ARMALITE DEFENDER 10

CMP M1 Garand

with practice the 8 round enbloc clip can be reloaded crazy fast

honestly....just build a 6.8SPC or 6.5grendel instead
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top