Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2022 8:11:14 PM EDT
Now that the crystal ball is a little clearer, what happens to the market beginning Wed.?
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It may go up if it doesn't go down.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
We are going to have at least another year of this shit, we haven't even "officially" started the recession. In my non-expert opinion, we are looking at a solid two years of this crap and it may potentially get worse. But, I'm a "this tastes like piss" kind of person when it comes to the glass being half full or half empty.

If the GOP takes Congress and nothing is getting done, the market SHOULD stabilize once the Fed stops raising rates, the market typically goes up after the midterms. I'm sure Biden and his hacks will start a war or something.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends who wins.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
NOTHING
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
It'll bounce up and down like Kamala Harris on Willie Brown's knob
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NOTHING
View Quote

This is the only incorrect answer so far.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We are going to have at least another year of this shit, we haven't even "officially" started the recession. In my non-expert opinion, we are looking at a solid two years of this crap and it may potentially get worse. But, I'm a "this tastes like piss" kind of person when it comes to the glass being half full or half empty.
View Quote

No worries there will be some BS reason it goes up, if not certainty from .gov, it'll future growth, if it's not those two itll be something else. Permabulls always have an excuse of why the market is going up even if it makes 0 sense. And if .fed is still wling to pump tons of money into it they might be right.

But it can't go down too much else they stop trading, that's how you know it's legit
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Depends who wins.
View Quote

Not sure that matters. The market doesn't like uncertainty. Having the result is a good thing. A lot of people thought the market would go down in 2020 after dems won and instead it went up.

GOP will win at least the house though. I think the market will probably go up. I don't have confidence enough to go all in though, but I am thinking about it.

I think the odds are higher then not it goes up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Whether it goes up or down, I don't know.
However, almost 100% certain, if it goes up, the democrats will take the credit.
If it goes down, the republicans will get the blame.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If the GOP takes Congress and nothing is getting done, the market SHOULD stabilize once the Fed stops raising rates, the market typically goes up after the midterms. I'm sure Biden and his hacks will start a war or something.
View Quote

I definitely agree there is more pain to come. I do wonder though if their will be a bounce after the midterms and then it goes lower later.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Tits up, maybe
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Up until Santa Rally.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It may go up if it doesn't go down.
View Quote

I disagree.  In fact, just the opposite.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It'll bounce up and down like Kamala Harris on Willie Brown's knob
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#18]
depends on the results?
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#19]
An 'R' win is already baked in. It may go up a bit, but don't get too excited.

eta, if 'D' wins, look out.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#20]
It will go up until folks realize that with the Republican controlling the House and Senate = a stale mate.
Nothing gets done for two years . Republicans will propose symbolic legislation that will never be signed at the Executive level
Some progress will be done on the Budget but that's it.
And in 2024 Everyone will be pointing fingers on Who Fubared the country.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, I know you're all waiting, so here's my take: It will go up, generally, over time from here.  Why?

1. Market tends to go up, historically, after the midterm.  Why?

2. The party in power (D in this case) almost always loses seats.  This creates gridlock.  This means more certainty going forward, e.g. no big legislative surprises.

There will be fluctuations, of course, mostly due to a Fed that is raising rates to battle inflation.  However, they will get that under control, eventually, and once they do the upward trend will continue with vigor.

That's my take on it.  I think it's prolly a good time to buy, if you haven't already.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Welp, we're about to find out. Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#23]
To the mooooon baby!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#24]
The market like certainty.  If the Rs take either or both houses of Congress we're certain not a damn thing is going to get done in the next two years.  That's great for the market.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OK, I know you're all waiting, so here's my take: It will go up, generally, over time from here.  Why?

1. Market tends to go up, historically, after the midterm.  Why?

2. The party in power (D in this case) almost always loses seats.  This creates gridlock.  This means more certainty going forward, e.g. no big legislative surprises.

There will be fluctuations, of course, mostly due to a Fed that is raising rates to battle inflation.  However, they will get that under control, eventually, and once they do the upward trend will continue with vigor.

That's my take on it.  I think it's prolly a good time to buy, if you haven't already.
View Quote
Once the Fed gets inflation under control there will be a full blown recession. There's no hurry to start buying. JMHO
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Now that the crystal ball is a little clearer, what happens to the market beginning Wed.?
View Quote
Just about nothing for a while, then it all dependes on who won. Dems win and don't expect anything positive to happen. Rep's win and it will take some time to stop the bleeding and then it won't do much unless they impeach, and that is plural.

Edeit Yes I know it's a dream.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Historically the market goes up after midterms
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I’ve been wrong 3 out of last 4 events but hey.  My guess is moderate republican control of house and senate is baked in.   Red wave with veto proof majorities isn’t.  Dem retain control isn’t.  

Mostly it drifts up a bit.  Then tanks.  Drifts up a bit then tanks.  Macro trend is still down until fed stops hiking rates.  
It may feel like the bottom is in and stonks only go up from here but there’s a lot of bad news Teed up for winter.  I’m betting with inflation at this level consumer christmas spending is going to be low enough that companies offer guidance corrections.  

Normal boring days are +- 1-2% and I wouldn’t expect more than 3% from moderate R win.   If there’s a surprise red wave it will run 4-5% wed morning but be back to 1-3% by close.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Once the Fed gets inflation under control there will be a full blown recession. There's no hurry to start buying. JMHO
View Quote

I'll allow it.  But even in a recession, there will still be lots of people with money to invest.  I include myself in that group.  And then there's the institutional money, lots of it.  We're getting tired of having nowhere to get a decent return.  Money gets antsy just sitting there.  It wants to go somewhere.  The stock market is the logical choice.  When the fed starts easing, bonds will look good then, too.  My 2 c.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’ve been wrong 3 out of last 4 events but hey.  My guess is moderate republican control of house and senate is baked in.   Red wave with veto proof majorities isn’t.  Dem retain control isn’t.  

Mostly it drifts up a bit.  Then tanks.  Drifts up a bit then tanks.  Macro trend is still down until fed stops hiking rates.  
It may feel like the bottom is in and stonks only go up from here but there’s a lot of bad news Teed up for winter.  I’m betting with inflation at this level consumer christmas spending is going to be low enough that companies offer guidance corrections.  

Normal boring days are +- 1-2% and I wouldn’t expect more than 3% from moderate R win.   If there’s a surprise red wave it will run 4-5% wed morning but be back to 1-3% by close.  

View Quote

I don't disagree, but I think the trend is generally upward, with plenty of volatility in the short term.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Overall, goes up. Investors hate uncertainty.
Direction of some sectors will depend on which party controls Capitol Hill.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#32]
October, November, and December are historically green months regardless of elections.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#33]
If the Dems win big tomorrow, it crashes

If the Repubs win big tomorrow, it crashes
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
October, November, and December are historically green months regardless of elections.
View Quote

"Theories on the topic vary, but in my view the most compelling reason for why stocks tend to see above-average returns after midterms is because there’s a tendency for more gridlock in Washington following midterms. Investors think gridlock is good, because it means less legislative risk. And anytime there’s less macro uncertainty, it boosts investor sentiment."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelcannivet/2022/10/02/the-stock-market-has-risen-after-every-midterm-election-since-1950/?sh=40a141637c48

Just like I said a few posts ago.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Don’t have a dog in the fight anymore but I hope everyone that stayed in the market does well. I’m crushing my mortgage then buying land.

What
Would
Thomas
Jefferson
Do
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

"Theories on the topic vary, but in my view the most compelling reason for why stocks tend to see above-average returns after midterms is because there's a tendency for more gridlock in Washington following midterms. Investors think gridlock is good, because it means less legislative risk. And anytime there's less macro uncertainty, it boosts investor sentiment."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelcannivet/2022/10/02/the-stock-market-has-risen-after-every-midterm-election-since-1950/?sh=40a141637c48

Just like I said a few posts ago.
View Quote
It can be both and historically so. Also, quoting recent stock news for past results isn't a good particular indicator. Reading tea leaves.

Most institutions do not perform much over summer months, and different institutions shift money for the end of the year. October, November, and December are big travel and consumer months. Good news get baked into Winter. Spring months tend to be flat, Summer is 2% growth, Fall is flat, Winter is 7% per Bloomberg.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Depends on how much longer the pants shitter is in office.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Depends on how much longer the pants shitter is in office.
View Quote

"Depends".  I see what you did there.  Heh.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don’t have a dog in the fight anymore but I hope everyone that stayed in the market does well. I’m crushing my mortgage then buying land.
View Quote

They will, the market always goes up, you just have to be able to make it through the downs. Most people worry because most people really don’t save (so they take a loss to pay for things) and they have too much debt.

Boomers freak because they are worried they will die before the market goes up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They will, the market always goes up, you just have to be able to make it through the downs. Most people worry because most people really don’t save (so they take a loss to pay for things) and they have too much debt.

Boomers freak because they are worried they will die before the market goes up.
View Quote

Reality check: EVERYONE dies before the next "up."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top